Phone codes

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Phone codes

Postby Jeffery McLean on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:26 pm

Ok I forget what Star 69 dose.
In forget I mean I never bothered to find out.
In never bothering to find out meaning I never actually gave a MS Quality control* before.

* I'm using this as a placeholder for a cuse word that I'd prefer not to actually speak.
However anyone who knows my opinions of Microsoft or can reasonably guess by the phrase (Jeff is a Linux Zelot) can figure out what word I'm replacing.
Besides this gives me a chance to make a big mockery of the whole "make it short" by adding a long long explenation that is bigger and more bloated than the word I'm replacing.
However in this case the replacement phrase is bigger than the original word.
Jeffery McLean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Dialing *69 will call back the number that just called you. It's a quick way to return a phone call--or, sometimes, to find out who it was who just called you...

--dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:01 pm

In college I had a roommate who occasionally made prank phone calls, usually to blow off a little steam.

The best one ever was when he called a wrong number, but realised it was a wrong number before the person answered. She probably wasn't even there at the time, because it was about an hour before she used *69 to call us back.

All she wanted to know was who had called her, but my roommate saw a golden opportunity. He told her he hadn't called. She said "Is this 4791?" My roommate lied and told her that she'd dialed 4792. She apologised.

Then she called again. He told her she dialed the wrong number again. She laughed and apologised again.

By the 8th time she was pretty sure she was dialing the right number. I could actually hear her getting frustrated from across the room.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees