Dad was a chemist

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Dad was a chemist

Postby sun tzu on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 am

Whoa...? Background on Cecilia? I'm surprised.
Background on anyone? I'm surprised. We know almost nothing on the lives of any character prior to Berkeley.
"The problem with History is that it can't have a happy ending." -Ouri Maler.
sun tzu
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sheseala on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:35 am

They have parents?
Yes, that is me there. Spidey made me do it.
Sheseala
Keenspot Despot

Re: Dad was a chemist

Postby Dotty on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:03 am

sun tzu wrote:Whoa...? Background on Cecilia? I'm surprised.

Well he did say at the last con that Cecilia was his favorite character to write for so we do get some childhood glimpses.
Don't forget the one panel where we get to see little Suzy Gee.
_.. ___ _ _ _.__
Maritza Campos: Don't be Margaret, Dotty. You're way better than her.
Dr. Jeff: Ya know, Dotty the Toweled One is not gonna like this.
Pseudonym: It's nice to finally meet the legendary Dotty. There were some doubts as to your existence.
Dotty
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Selgeron on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:42 am

does anyone think that the reason Cecelia is just a liiiitle bit crazy has anything to do with her father being a chemist? I know it's unlikely but the evil part of me does. Take that as you will... :shifty:
Is it magic or is it madness?
Selgeron
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Dad was a chemist

Postby Gav on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:08 pm

Dotty wrote:Don't forget the one panel where we get to see little Suzy Gee.

Two, actually.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby JGatsby on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:44 pm

ok, i know im missing a statistical analysis joke with the "electrocuting monkeys""-- what is it?
JGatsby
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm not sure I believe anything she says. :)

I am enjoying seeing King Luca get out-crazied.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby HiFranc on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:50 am

JGatsby wrote:ok, i know im missing a statistical analysis joke with the "electrocuting monkeys""-- what is it?

Animal experiments?

I'm guessing that it's about std deviation and whether electrocuting monkeys has, stastically, any effect on their behaviour.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Eyeless Blond on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:23 am

Chi-squared is a distribution function used to determine statistical significance. "The best-known situations in which the chi-square distribution is used are the common chi-square tests for goodness of fit of an observed distribution to a theoretical one, and of the independence of two criteria of classification of qualitative data," both of which are used all over the place, but the second of which is used often in psychology to disprove the null hypothesis. Without chi-square psychology wouldn't be a science so much as people making a series of guesses at possible meanings with no clue of their correctness. One of the humanities, in other words. (*ducks*)

Electrocuting monkeys is just what psychologists *do* all day. :)[/url]
Eyeless Blond
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Nah, sometimes they use rats.

Speaking of such, brother works in the psychology department at his university. Big project where people had to train rats to do various things, then worked with what training methods worked best, reward versus punishment and so on.

After the tests and evaluations, have all these rats to get rid of. A few get sent to biology to be disected. A few go back to the supplier for breeding. But the vast majority head over to the Raptor House to befome lunch.

Asked if any of the rats had been taught something practical.... like to dodge flying shadows.

Also, sorta have to wonder exactly which rats got sent back for breeding... were they the rats who'd handler was a girl who couldn't stand the thought of her rat dying? Was it the rat that tested the best? Or just a lucky rat chosen at random? In any case... who does this affect the rat population over the long term? If the cute rat is sent back... are future generations of rats progressively cuter? Progressively luckier? Or, perhaps scariest of all, progressively smarter? Are we thus breeding a smarter rat? Fun stuff to ponder at 3am....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Conina on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:36 am

I wondered where they got our rats from. :P The chickens though, I'm not sure where they got the chickens, and I doubt from the psych labs (yes I'm a biologist, I dissect things). As for it being a girl who didn't like the idea of her rat dying - who's to say it wouldn't be guys just as easily as girls? I don't know about psych students, but bio students are about equal between the genders as to who has issues with exactly what happens to the test animals (or other animals come to that).

A uni with a raptor house?! I feel robbed.

As for breeding smarter rats.... I like it! :evilgrin:
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby bloodeye on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:25 pm

Yes, but girl is more steriotypical.

Think raptor house is actually at the zoo up the road a bit, but know the two work together a fair amount.

And well, if we can breed smarter rats, maybe we can figure how to start breeding smarter people.... :grumble:
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby miss kyri on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:19 pm

We breed for performance in every other animal, and yet I'm not sure I know of a single human breeding which was actually purposefully carried thru to better the species, altho I do know of some which were contemplated.

*sighs*
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:31 am

They exist. Look to arranged marriages, espically amoung chineese culture from turn of 18th century. Seem to recall Nazi Germany having a few breeding programs, but I don't know the details.

Now, how scientific such programs were, or how successful, that's another thing entirely.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby damp_dave on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Or look at Silicon Valley over the last ~15 years. Lots of intelligent well-educated geeks, breeding together. (Or at least a higher concentration than elsewhere.)

The result? The highest levels per-capita of Asperger's syndrome in the world.

--dd
"I'll take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich peoples' lawn
And before they get up, I'll be gone, I'll be gone..." --FZ
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby miss kyri on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:35 pm

I shouldn't type when I'm tired, I meant recently altho the past ones are often for slightly, er, "off" reasons, anyway....

The silicon valley thing still qualifies as not, I think, given that its not on purpose, geeks are just, by and large, atttracted to geeks. They don't take other things into consideration, often, like health, or, well, side-effects....
miss kyri
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby the Siliconopolitan on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:10 pm

Geeks attracted to geeks? Since when?

When I see this thread I can't help but think that's it's the setup for a joke, that I can't finish.

Dad was a chemist, mom was a drugadict, and together the made a beautiful couple.

Shks! See that's why I'm not even going to try to start a comic.
[i]Si les triangles faisaient un Dieu, ils lui donneraient trois c
the Siliconopolitan
Keenspot Despot

Postby JGatsby on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:28 pm

Seem to recall Nazi Germany having a few breeding programs, but I don't know the details.

While this is true, the Nazis (as well as other groups in Europe during the early 20th century) played around with eugenics, once again we prove one of the unwritten laws of the internet:

given a long enough time-scale, every internet conversation will eventually involve Nazis

(this also applies to Mel Brooks movies. I take pride being in the same category with him any day :D )
JGatsby
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby llandorin on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:03 pm

Actually, the Western world is currently breeding for stupid people. Raising a child costs a lot, the world is currently a dodgy place for them, and gradually smart people are not breeding. People who forget to take medication, or keep items on their person on a date, or just do not care are breeding faster than ever.

My advice: Take an IQ test. Above room temperature, have kids. If not, do not.

Oh, and the Nazis encouraged all sorts of antics to try to breed out undesirable elements, incuding breeding for political loyalty at Hitler Youth camps. Ick.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen - Albert Einstein
llandorin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Confortable room temperature is roughly around 70 for most people. Pretty much every stupid person I've ever met could beat that.

Also, ignorance and intelligence don't line up that well. It's definitely true that the lower income people are having more kids in the USA. Other than that it's hard to see any other consistent patterns.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dexam on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:24 am

llandorin wrote:My advice: Take an IQ test. Above room temperature, have kids. If not, do not.

Depends what scale you are using: Celsius, Fahrenheit, or Kelvin.
Dexam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Pinned under a snowmobile, fending off ice weasels.

Postby towr on Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:39 am

Dexam wrote:
llandorin wrote:My advice: Take an IQ test. Above room temperature, have kids. If not, do not.

Depends what scale you are using: Celsius, Fahrenheit, or Kelvin.
Kelvin would be the safest bet. That way all humanity's problems will be solved in about a century.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Asmodeus87 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:06 am

you mean that there won't be any of us around?

that would solve the problem allright! :lol:
Asmodeus87
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:06 pm

And one Nukees comics spawns a thread that brings us back around to another Nukees comic!

...which I can now quickly locate because of OhNoRobot! Yay!

Maybe you just should have to be able to convert room temperature from Fahrenheit to Celcius to Kelvin in order to be given permission to breed.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby bloodeye on Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:01 pm

*quietly turns up the thermostats. Not only up the stakes for who passes, but encourages those who pass to follow thru... on second thought, might be better to pass out chocolate, alcohol, and paper bag masks...*
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Nukees