Comic transcriptions

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Comic transcriptions

Postby towr on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:06 am

It would be very helpful to have an up to date cast page. It's hard enough for me to remember the name of V
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:33 am

Anyone got a name for the mascot-like thing in the last panel of http://nukees.com/d/19970424.html ? (also featuring in the next two strips)
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:20 am

Yeah, I should definitely prioritize a new cast page... I'll bet most of the site gets transcribed before I get around to it, though. I've been correcting any inaccuracies and inconsistancies, however.

As for the transcriptions, you can put descriptions or details about the speech (including indicating thought balloons) in brackets, like:

[[Danny runs madly into the distance]]

or:

Danny: [[thinking]] How much phlegm would Errol Flynn fling if Errol Flynn could fling phlegm?

(Yeah, I know he wasn't thinking that quote, but it's just an example).

Thus far, if there are two speech balloons in one panel, I've listed them separately:

Gav: Oh
Gav: My
Gav: God...
Gav: I mean, Goddess.

towr wrote:Anyone got a name for the mascot-like thing in the last panel of http://nukees.com/d/19970424.html ? (also featuring in the next two strips)

Heh. Hm, I never did come up with a name for that thing. I guess you could use the lengthy "Figment of Gav's Imagination."

And hey, that's exactly what Maddog called it on his Nukees Appearance Count page (which currently makes a better Cast page than my own, though it's also not up to date.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby towr on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:23 pm

I have to say, http://nukees.com/d/19970424.html really is the worst strip I've tried to transribe. So much rambling, and much of it obscured.

Well, if there are major problems with the transcription, you know who to blame.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby towr on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:51 pm

Should we use Chris or Christine? Because everyone seems to call her Chris, but in the only accepted transcription I can find it's the latter.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:15 pm

towr wrote:I have to say, http://nukees.com/d/19970424.html really is the worst strip I've tried to transribe. So much rambling, and much of it obscured.

Well, if there are major problems with the transcription, you know who to blame.

Heh, well don't worry too much about it. I'm reviewing every one of them and making any necessary corrections. Actually, I was thinking that comic would be the worst, and I found it funny how the first set of transcribers skipped over that series completely. You're more ambitious than the rest for taking it on. ;)

There are certain things that might be untranscribable, and I'm not even sure if I want them transcribed--like the text in the newspaper when Gav gets $20 million starting "Blackout Power." Those are meant to be, for lack of a better term, "easter eggs" that you can feel all warm and special if you figure out (or possibly, an encouragement to buy those future books, should they ever get made, since you should be able to read them better in print).

Guess I'll have to decide when I get there what I want in the transcription and what I don't... But in practice, if you can't figure something out, then don't feel bad about it.

towr wrote:Should we use Chris or Christine? Because everyone seems to call her Chris, but in the only accepted transcription I can find it's the latter.

Go with "Christine."

Thanks again. This is awesome, really. I've been wanting to transcribe my comics for a long time so they'll show up in Google searches, but had previously only found the time to do about 30 of them myself.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby towr on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:53 am

Oopsy.. just realised I made a mistake. I think called one of the 'teenage witches' Sabrina somewhere :P (Yes, I know, they're actually post-teenage)
Too bad I can't change it after submitting it. A wiki-like system would be much more convenient.
[edit]Ah, yes. I remember now. Sabrina is the name of Gav's car!![/edit]

Also in http://www.nukees.com/d/20050119.html in the second panel Rita calls Julia, "Juila".
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm

towr wrote:Oopsy.. just realised I made a mistake. I think called one of the 'teenage witches' Sabrina somewhere :P (Yes, I know, they're actually post-teenage)
Too bad I can't change it after submitting it. A wiki-like system would be much more convenient.

Eh, it'd be convenient for incidents like this one, but I think overall would be less convenient.

There's one semi-drawback to the system in that OhNoRobot seems to decide in which order I must approve the transcripts, and when there are 250 of them, doesn't list them all on one page. Thus, I can't find the transcript in question until I've approved of maybe hundreds of others (by which time, I'm sure I'll forget). However, I've been checking things relatively closely (hense, my slow pace), so I'm likely to spot it. If you see it approved in the system but not corrected, let me know.

I haven't quite figured out the algorythm for the order in which it presents comics to be approved. Sometimes it seems almost random. I'm getting a lot of transcripts at the top of the list that were just submitted, but it doesn't seem to be exactly in reverse-submitted order either, and doesn't quite seem to be in numerical order.

Ah, yes. I remember now. Sabrina is the name of Gav's car!!

Hee, so it wasn't just teenage witch association!

Actually, even I had trouble remembering the Christian Goths' names at first--Julia in particular. It's difficult when you introduce four new characters all at once.

Also in http://www.nukees.com/d/20050119.html in the second panel Rita calls Julia, "Juila".

Hm. That would have been a perfect place to put "[sic]". Is that what you did, or did you not notice it in time?

As it is, it's very difficult for me to remember to correct specific strips as they are pointed out to me (I'm usually at work, and have to remember later at home, when I actually have time to look it up, correct, and rescan), but it will be easy if I can just use OhNoRobot in the future to do a full sweep when I have time and have access to the strips by doing a word search for "\[sic\]".
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby towr on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:19 pm

Gav wrote:

Hm. That would have been a perfect place to put "[sic]". Is that what you did, or did you not notice it in time?
I noticed it in time (and also at this point noticed the mistake I made before), and decided to wait with transcribing it, as I had to leave anyway. However when I came back from university this afternoon someone else had transcribed it.

I did [sic] some heiroglyphs a few days ago though.. :roll:
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby NerdieBoy on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:30 am

How would you transcribe math like in http://nukees.com/d/20040924.html ? (BTW, Danny contraction alert.)

One could do a cop-out like "Danny: <<Complicated math formula>>"

Or on the other end of the scale, try to approximate it in text and include LaTeX in a scenery description :-? :
Danny: dE/dx = Kx^2 (Z/A)(1/beta^2)* [1/2 ln((2m_q c^2 beta^2 gamma^2 I_n)/(I^2)) -beta^2 -delta/2]. [[LaTeX: \frac{dE}{dx} = Kx^2 (Z/A)(1/\beta^2) \cdot \left[ 1/2 \ln\frac{2m_q c^2 \beta^2 \gamma^2 \mathrm{I}_n}{\mathrm{I}^2} -\beta^2 -\delta/2 \right].]]
(Probably not a correct transcription)

It would be nice to have a standard notation for when Danny resorts to this kind of language.

(I type out all the above, and my computer crashes. :roll: Guess that is what I get for, well, typing out all of the above.)
NerdieBoy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby towr on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:12 am

Personally, I'd go with the copout. Or if you recognize what formulas they are, put that. I don't think it's really important to the joke or the comic what the formulas are.
And if Gav wants the whole formulas, he can add it when he gets around to approving that particular transcription :P
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:57 pm

towr wrote:And if Gav wants the whole formulas, he can add it when he gets around to approving that particular transcription :P

Hee. Nah, we don't need the whole complicated equations--the cop-out is fine. If you bothered to do the whole LaTeX equation, I wouldn't dare delete it, though.

Feel free to [sic] any contraction that Danny uses past, oh, say, the year 2000.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby e-Monk on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:12 pm

I think that's the Bethe-Bloch Ionization Braking Equation, if I remember my ptcl. & nuke phys. correctly. You could call it that.
e-Monk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby towr on Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:03 am

It looks a lot like it, but there seem to be a few errors if that's what it should be.

unless http://pamela.physik.uni-siegen.de/pame ... /bethe.gif is wrong :P
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby e-Monk on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:33 pm

Looks like it is wrong. It's missing a factor of 2 inside the logarithm. Take a look at eq. 32 on this page:

http://besch2.physik.uni-siegen.de/~dep ... node9.html

Other than that factor and some nomenclature differences, your link looks the same as in the comic.
e-Monk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby towr on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:49 am

februari 1 2006: In the last panel Danny says "I'll", "soduko" (should be sudoku) and "Calcolus"
I'm so not gonna put three [sic]s in my transcription. :roll:
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Crystalis on Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:54 am

towr wrote:februari 1 2006:

I don't know what crazy moon language you're speaking, but in English the second month of the year is February.
-Proud to be a Sharply Shining Point!
-Schlurper of Newbies!
-OT Pope

Drink to the dead all you still alive,
we shall join them in good time.
Should you go crossing that silvery brook,
it's best to leap before you look.

Under Republicans, man exploits man. Under Democrats, it's just the reverse.
Crystalis
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:39 am

Crystalis wrote:I don't know what crazy moon language you're speaking, but in English the second month of the year is February.
I don't speak any crazy moon languages, so it's no surprise you don't know which of them I speak.

I'm not a native English speaker; you might be surprised to know not everyone in the world is. Not to mention that you can't generally hear the difference between a word ending in a y or an i anyway. So it's quite irrelevant what languages I can speak, natively or otherwise.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:03 am

I think he's just pointing out the humorous irony of typos in a correction notice, not making a jab. Frankly, I think it's ironic that non-native speakers have to correct me.

With the magic of The Gimp, I've made the appropriate corrections here at work. I'll fix 'em for good at home.

"Calculus" wasn't actually a mistake. It just ended up looking somehow wrong after the scan. Actually, I'm more concerned with how bad "diving" ended up looking in the first panel. I may want to redo that whole line.

And to think I put all that effort into making sure I had the right spelling for "wholly."
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Crystalis on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:50 am

Gav wrote:I think he's just pointing out the humorous irony of typos in a correction notice, not making a jab.

*dingdingding*

Gav for the win! ;-P
-Proud to be a Sharply Shining Point!
-Schlurper of Newbies!
-OT Pope

Drink to the dead all you still alive,
we shall join them in good time.
Should you go crossing that silvery brook,
it's best to leap before you look.

Under Republicans, man exploits man. Under Democrats, it's just the reverse.
Crystalis
Keenspot Despot

Return to Nukees