About defibrillation... (26/02/01)

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Postby Rob on Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:56 am

...those paddles are actually used to STOP the heart. What happens is that the heart goes into an arrhythmia, where it can no longer pump blood effectively. An arrhythmia most often occurs when one or more heart muscle cells start spontaneously depolarizing on their own (ectopic focii), taking over from the heart's pacemaker. This is usually the result of damage to the heart muscle and/or lack of oxygen (eg: a heart attack).<P>Defibrillation, aka direct-current cardioversion, depolarizes all the heart muscle cells at once, which allows the heart's pacemaker (the SA node) to take over.<P>Sorry, I just had to nitpick...
Rob
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Tue Feb 27, 2001 6:03 am

Thanks for the info. Actually, I've been discussing it since yesterday with Aric Campling (<A HREF="http://www.hosers.org" TARGET=_blank>Hosers</A>), who is a cardiac nurse. I felt bad putting the strip up without researching it first, actually. I guess watching two episodes of "E.R." wasn't enough for me to learn these things. As you guys probably know, I'm a stickler for accuracy. Anyway, he's been able to educate me to the ways of dead and fribrillating hearts and shocking and such and I came up with something that is perhaps less dramatic (fribrillating heart rather than a flatline), but more realistic. I'm also quite happy that now the heartbeats are slightly more in line with a real EKG. Thanks, Aric!<P><P>------------------
Lates...<P><B>Darren "Gav" Bleuel</B>
(<A HREF="http://www.nukees.com/" TARGET=_blank>Nukees</A>, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby LCARS on Tue Feb 27, 2001 6:14 am

I remember this one time in middle school when my science teacher took a lamb heart, and touched it to a pair of jumper cables... that was pehaps the most gruesome sight I have ever seen. <P>Esp. when it squirted preservative across the room.<P>------------------
Hey look, I made a bridge.
LCARS
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby chemcat on Tue Feb 27, 2001 9:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by towr:
<B>They can also be used to jumpstart the hart.. Considering muscles contract when you put a current on them.. (The exact reason why you can't let go of a life wire if you grab it.. And why foiremen use the back of their hand to feel their way trough the dark (smoke) so they don't grab a life wires if they accidentally touch one..)</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
I'm fairly sure it depends on whether the wire is AC or DC...but otherwise, yeah.
chemcat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby towr on Tue Feb 27, 2001 12:39 pm

They can also be used to jumpstart the hart.. Considering muscles contract when you put a current on them.. (The exact reason why you can't let go of a life wire if you grab it.. And why foiremen use the back of their hand to feel their way trough the dark (smoke) so they don't grab a life wires if they accidentally touch one..)
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sir_Crashalot_Of_Kendall on Mon Mar 26, 2001 11:27 am

... A cardiac nurse who apparently partakes in great amounts of beer and doughnuts? I love the irony.<P>------------------
The Crappy Signature Club
VXO, Founder
<A HREF="http://blueneon.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Blue Neon - A wonderfully screwed up online comic</A>
Sir_Crashalot_Of_Kendall
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Nukees