Frickskeller, DC (11-06-2013)

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Frickskeller, DC (11-06-2013)

Postby Wafath on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 am

You know that it (Brickskeller) is closed, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickskeller

W
Wafath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Frickskeller, DC (11-06-2013)

Postby MaxJenius on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:08 am

Probably leading to the next joke...

On the other had...

There is no such word as irregardless. :) :lol:
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 am

MaxJenius wrote:There is no such word as irregardless. :)

I always find it so odd when people declare a word doesn't exists even though you can find in a dictionary. Maybe it's like the phrase "you can't do that" -- wishful thinking more than anything else.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 am

towr wrote:
MaxJenius wrote:There is no such word as irregardless. :)

I always find it so odd when people declare a word doesn't exists even though you can find in a dictionary. Maybe it's like the phrase "you can't do that" -- wishful thinking more than anything else.

"Ir" is a negative... such as irrelevant.. meaning not relevant. "Regardless" is already negative, so "Irregardless" it technically a double negative.

The proper word is regardless... without regard. Irregardless would really mean "not without regard"

Anyway... point being, Linus was already correcting Gav with poor grammar. And Gav just goes ahead and makes another error to obviously irk Linus more.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:20 am

MaxJenius wrote:"Ir" is a negative... such as irrelevant.. meaning not relevant. "Regardless" is already negative, so "Irregardless" it technically a double negative.

The proper word is regardless... without regard. Irregardless would really mean "not without regard"
That's all very well*, but entirely irrelevant to whether it's a word. Or, for that matter, to what it actually means -- which depends on how people use it (crack open an etymology book and you'll see many words don't make sense with regard to past meanings).
As for what is proper and what is not; well, "proper" is in the eye of the beholder (or ear as the case may be). And many improper things are fun to do. Especially when it irks people (or penguins) that really ought to know better. :D

* And corresponds to the better part of what the dictionary has to say about the word -- It also adds that the double negative might be used to emphasize, which ain't no big surprise.

(None if which means that some people's linguistic quirks don't bug the hell out of me.)
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:00 am

towr wrote:
MaxJenius wrote:"Ir" is a negative... such as irrelevant.. meaning not relevant. "Regardless" is already negative, so "Irregardless" it technically a double negative.

That's all very well*, but entirely irrelevant to whether it's a word. Or, for that matter, to what it actually means -- which depends on how people use it (crack open an etymology book and you'll see many words don't make sense with regard to past meanings).
As for what is proper and what is not; well, "proper" is in the eye of the beholder (or ear as the case may be). And many improper things are fun to do. Especially when it irks people (or penguins) that really ought to know better. :D

* And corresponds to the better part of what the dictionary has to say about the word -- It also adds that the double negative might be used to emphasize, which ain't no big surprise.

(None if which means that some people's linguistic quirks don't bug the hell out of me.)

I really wish that was true in programming... But computers are the ultimate in grammar Nazis... :lol:
---
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 am

If the worst thing you find in that sentence is "irregardless, " you may need to turn in your grammar nazi license. :P
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby MaxJenius on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:10 am

Gav wrote:If the worst thing you find in that sentence is "irregardless, " you may need to turn in your grammar nazi license. :P

Never claimed to be a grammar nazi... my wife however... let's just say "irregardless" is a pet peeve.
---
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Oh and BTW, yes I was aware the Brickskeller closed. ;)

The strip doesn't quite parallel reality, I don't think, though. From what I've read recently, the Brickskeller reopened the day after it closed under a new name.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Return to Nukees