The story over at Schlock?

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

The story over at Schlock?

Postby Q99 on Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm curious, what's Gav's reaction to the current story over at Schlock Mercenary?

Considering almost the entire cast is, y'know, him, kinda-sorta :)
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: The story over at Schlock?

Postby Gav on Wed May 09, 2012 10:49 am

Q99 wrote:I'm curious, what's Gav's reaction to the current story over at Schlock Mercenary?

Considering almost the entire cast is, y'know, him, kinda-sorta :)

I think it rocks the Casbah, though I have to admit I'm having a little trouble following the storyline. I love Schlock Mercenary, but I don't really have time to keep up with any webcomics anymore, so I'm not up to speed on anything that happened before the current storyline.

Howard actually contacted me before he started this storyline and asked my opinion. I told him what I figured I'd do if I were cloned 950M times and it pretty much matched what he had planned (banding together into a nation-state, randomized diversification, etc...)

I think I would've preferred all the Gavs to have blue hair, though, so I can easily identify the ones that have been "modified." I'm getting, for instance, that the girl in the lab coat is a gender-reassigned me, but I get confused by her name (Cikitsaka?). Why isn't she a "Gav?" (Gavette?)

Howard also thought it'd be cool if I joined in on his fan's discussions, but I think I need to go back a few years and get myself up to speed. I have no idea who this "Binnie" guy is, for instance.

Actually, if one of you guys could summarize what's going on for me, that could be helpful too.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby towr on Thu May 10, 2012 3:26 am

Gav wrote: I have no idea who this "Binnie" guy is, for instance.
As far as I know (and I have been keeping up with Schlock; but then again also one or two hundred other webcomics), he's just a random diversified Gav that pulled his own head off (while goofing off operating a giant robot) and then grew a new one. The most likely explanation pointed to by the plot so far is that nanobots from the UNS are responsible, which ought to have covertly rebuild/reprogrammed him in a ploy to take over the Oisri base from the inside. Losing his head goes some way to exposing this plot (though it had already been guessed as a possibility).

Plot summary for current story
* Gavs have diversified using technology to rebuild themselves, acquiring different bodies and new skills.
* Gavs have valuable planet (Oisri) that's has the potential to be a huge weapon
* UNS (military) wants to have it
* Tagon's Toughs are hired to protect the Oisri while Gavs dig to the core of the planet to find out what's there and what it is exactly.
* UNS black op seems to target Oisri using nanobots to build up a force from inside so they can take over.
* Goofy mech operator (Binnie) pulls his own head off when picking his nose inside the cockpit. Grows back head after walking around like a zombie for a bit.
* Doc Bunnigus notices he behaves a bit too much like a soldier after his "recovery"
And I think that's pretty much where we are now, for this story.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Q99 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Gav wrote:I think I would've preferred all the Gavs to have blue hair, though, so I can easily identify the ones that have been "modified." I'm getting, for instance, that the girl in the lab coat is a gender-reassigned me, but I get confused by her name (Cikitsaka?). Why isn't she a "Gav?" (Gavette?)

Possibly Gavette was taken? I assume they've all been Gav enough and alongside so many other Gavs that Gav might feel more like a nationality than a name. Sure, they're 'Gav,' but that's no longer useful for identification.

Also they likely chose new names after being modified- otherwise there would be so many Gavettes! After all, there are so many Gavs that the most obvious options would be taken fast..

Some of the mod-Gavs do still have blue hair I note, it's just now a minority trait among them.

Actually, if one of you guys could summarize what's going on for me, that could be helpful too.

Towr pretty much got it, though added on to that, since then 'Binnie' has been revealed to have been taken over by hostile nanites, and went on a rampage to spread them to other. Now everyone's in lockdown to prevent the spread.

So, Gavs find an ancient artifact deep in a planet, put a base there, lotta diversified Gavs working on it (*everyone* in the story who isn't a Tough is a Gav), UNS tries to attack with nanite-combat-zombie takeover.

Btw, this is the first actual appearance of Gavcorp in this story. We've seen some occasional Gavs before, but only in places where you'd expect non-modified Gavs to be, like at a teraport/physicist convention.
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MaxJenius on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 am

Gav wrote:I think I would've preferred all the Gavs to have blue hair, though, so I can easily identify the ones that have been "modified." I'm getting, for instance, that the girl in the lab coat is a gender-reassigned me, but I get confused by her name (Cikitsaka?). Why isn't she a "Gav?" (Gavette?)

I think this will answer that question...

http://schlockmercenary.wikispaces.com/Asa+Cikitsaka
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:51 am

MaxJenius wrote:I think this will answer that question...

http://schlockmercenary.wikispaces.com/Asa+Cikitsaka

Oh, neat.
Zero (me) by Xero
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Q99 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:58 am

And we just got two blue-hairs in a row :)
Zero (me) by Xero
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Q99 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Turns out the Gavs were actually *altered* to want to be more different than base (to help them adjust to the changes).

Oh, and, uh, most of this Gav colony is gone due to nanite attack... though one of the female Gavs is around and seems stuck on the ship.
Zero (me) by Xero
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Q99 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:01 am

Hah, and it looks like there was a black ops Gav (unmodded) trying to pull strings from behind the scenes.
Zero (me) by Xero
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Nukees