No update 2/12/12?

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

No update 2/12/12?

Postby Wafath on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

Huh.
Wafath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: No update 2/12/12?

Postby MaxJenius on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 am

Why should have there been? That's a Sunday.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby towr on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 am

That's funny, that's a Sunday regardless of whether you read it as 12th of February (American date order) or 2nd of December (European date order)
Obviously he meant the 13th, but the newspost already explains why that was late.
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gav on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm

I'd like to just take this moment to talk about how much I love modern technology.

In the old days, this would have been a stomach-wrenching stressfest. But now I can literally fix the site while waiting for my luggage on a transfer through a city 3000 miles from home before even going through immigration/customs.

Before, I'd be frantically trying to locate a Kinko's, which isn't always possible when you have a connecting flight. Once, about ten years ago, I inconvenienced my entire family in Maui to take me an hour out of our way to a Kinko's on the other side of the island just to re-upload a strip.

More than that, as of a few years ago, I finally became *completely* autonomous. While sitting in an airport (or anywhere else for that matter), I can draw the comic, cut it to size with my "utilikey" (so I can sneak an exacto knife past security), scan it on my portable scanner, process it using The Gimp, and upload it without needing an internet connection by tethering my laptop to my cell phone signal or transferring the file to the phone itself and uploading from there.

Unfortunately, Verizon is completely useless outside the U.S., so this last step only works in American locations. When I was in Prague last year, I would regularly transfer comics into my phone, then wander to a spot near my hotel under the Charles Bridge where I had found open Wi-Fi and sftp it from my phone. That was a bizarre process. Better than sitting under the bridge with a laptop, though.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby Gav on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Oh, and if anyone's curious about the brain fart that led to the problem last week, it was actually caused by this very same remote-uploading process, more or less. My phone had been programmed with the Wi-fi password for my hotel, but my laptop wasn't. So...

1) In my hotel room, I scanned the strip the night before and transferred it into my phone for uploading to the site

2) Somewhere in my mind, I thought, "I've transferred it off the laptop" which must have released the endorphins that make us relax and stop working when we complete a task. Of course, I had only transferred it to the phone, not to the website. It all seemed so stupid in Newark.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Return to Nukees