Gav's REAL name?

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Gav's REAL name?

Postby DaltonSpence on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm new here and a Gav trivia buff, and I'd like to clear up a few thing's;
  1. Was the space between the "VAN" and the "DARIN" in Friday's strip a real mistake on safety supervisor's part (ie. Gav's surname is incorrectly entered in the paperwork, giving him additional bureaucratic leverage) or an imagined visual artifact?
  2. I vaguely remember a strip that explained that "Gav" was an acronym for his initials (G. A. Vandarin) and not an abbreviation of Gavin, but I can't remember which one (ie. the publication date). Could someone please point me to that URL?
  3. I was first introduced to Gav and his 950 million clones in Schlock Mercenary (which BTW just sucked me into eight hours of archive diving after visiting the aforementioned link). Thus when I think of Gav, I think of his crossover potential. Are there any Gav fanfics out there, crossover or not? (Okay, this isn't a name question, unless someone has a fic about the differently named Gav clones in SM. :wink: ) Is there an official policy on Nukee related fanfic I should know about?
Having kept this post on the back burner for hours now (see above), I think I'd better post it as is before I get sucked into something else.

--

Dalton "who hopes his idea for a Gav/BtVS YAHF is doable" Spence
DaltonSpence
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Gav's REAL name?

Postby bloodeye on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:36 am

Schlock Mercenary is the only real crossover that springs to mind, though I know there have been a number of cameos.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby DaltonSpence on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:25 pm

Do tell! What cameos? Fanfic or webcomic? Something Positive? Irregular Webcomic? PVP? Queen of Wands? (Yes, I know the last one is dead, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised. :wink: )

Dalton "Expiring Minds Want To Know!" Spence
DaltonSpence
Junior Keenspotter

Postby T'Renn on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:37 pm

The various cameos, both of the charactor Gav and the cartoonist Gav, are linked on the Gavspotting page, also linked from the link bar above the comic.
T'Renn
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:25 am

Of those, only one I recall specifically was Freefall, but know I've read others.... too lazy to look myself and be reminded.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 pm

DaltonSpence wrote:I'm new here and a Gav trivia buff

Who knew there were such things?

...and I'd like to clear up a few thing's;
  1. Was the space between the "VAN" and the "DARIN" in Friday's strip a real mistake on safety supervisor's part (ie. Gav's surname is incorrectly entered in the paperwork, giving him additional bureaucratic leverage) or an imagined visual artifact?

Actually, the first time you see his name (in a newspaper article), it's listed as "Vandarin," but I believe every subsequent strip after that one, I write "Van Darin." You might attribute this to "cartoonist's error" (or perhaps "indecision") but at the time, there was a lot of confusion as to how to pronounce it. Truth be told, I wasn't 100% sure at the time how I wanted it to be pronounced (or spelled), but I eventually decided on "van DARE en" rather than "VAN dir in" and I thought the spelling with the space in the middle would make it less ambiguous. I didn't "correct" the first strip with the newspaper headline because I figured it could be chalked up to bad journalism (I think reporters misspell names more often than they spell them right).

If there's another strip where I write "Vandarin," let me know. I may want to violate a little causality and be consistent.

• I vaguely remember a strip that explained that "Gav" was an acronym for his initials (G. A. Vandarin) and not an abbreviation of Gavin, but I can't remember which one (ie. the publication date). Could someone please point me to that URL?

• It was pointed out that his initials spell his name, but that's not why he's called "Gav." Later, Suzy Gee found out his real name was not "Gavin," but it wasn't reveled at that time. His "real" name was revealed during his and Danny's trip to see Gav's parents.

• I was first introduced to Gav and his 950 million clones in Schlock Mercenary (which BTW just sucked me into eight hours of archive diving after visiting the aforementioned link). Thus when I think of Gav, I think of his crossover potential. Are there any Gav fanfics out there, crossover or not? (Okay, this isn't a name question, unless someone has a fic about the differently named Gav clones in SM. :wink: ) Is there an official policy on Nukee related fanfic I should know about?

• There's no policy, and the link to the Gavspotting page has already been pointed out. Generally, I don't stop anyone from doing anything they want, so long as they aren't making craploads of money off of it or anything. Though, I've always found fanfic to be a little weird... There's something just... not right... about writing a full-on story with someone else's characters. It's the same feeling I get when I see a Dr. Seuss book that wasn't written by Dr. Seuss.

While there's no fanfic I'm aware of (or, perhaps, none I can remember), there was once a high school student that wrote a Nukees-based play for an english class. And Nukees strips have actually appeared in a few Ph.D. theses. There was even an analysis of storytelling perspective in someone's thesis that cited Nukees as an example.

What the hell is a BtVS YAHF?
    Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
    (Nukees, an atomic comic)
    Gav
    Keenspot Whipping Boy

Postby DaltonSpence on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Gav wrote:
    DaltonSpence wrote:I'm new here and a Gav trivia buff

Who knew there were such things?

Me!
    Gav wrote:
    ...and I'd like to clear up a few thing's;

Actually, the first time you see his name (in a newspaper article), it's listed as "Vandarin," but I believe every subsequent strip after that one, I write "Van Darin." You might attribute this to "cartoonist's error" (or perhaps "indecision") but at the time, there was a lot of confusion as to how to pronounce it. Truth be told, I wasn't 100% sure at the time how I wanted it to be pronounced (or spelled), but I eventually decided on "van DARE en" rather than "VAN dir in" and I thought the spelling with the space in the middle would make it less ambiguous. I didn't "correct" the first strip with the newspaper headline because I figured it could be chalked up to bad journalism (I think reporters misspell names more often than they spell them right).

If there's another strip where I write "Vandarin," let me know. I may want to violate a little causality and be consistent.

It's also spelled that way on Maddog's Nukees Appearance Count Page, so I assumed it was official.

Gav wrote:<snip>

What the hell is a BtVS YAHF?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Yet Another Halloween Fic. It's an extremely common plot gimmick for BtVS crossover stories; somebody (usually Xander Harris) dresses up as a "fictional" character during the 1997 season 2 episode Halloween and becomes that character when the Chaos Mage costume shop owner actives the spell cast on all the costumes and costume components or accessories he sold. While Gav at that point didn't yet sport many of his later "trademarks" (ie. vest over lab coat, Gavcam glasses, giant robot ant with remote control, engineering calculator withe Terapet, etc.), many YAHF stories pay very little attention to the original publication, release or air dates of the crossover character's source media. Another important feature of these stories is that the wearer inherits some traits from the costume character after the spell is ended; they might vary from some special skills and a few odd quirks (ie. a taste for Guinness) to a full lifetime memory dump and unique physical characteristics. Sometimes one or more of the costume's components comes from a real person in a shared Buffyverse, with can lead to a true crossover as the original meets the "copy". Costume props become real during the spell; some maintain their reality after the spell ends, while others whose existance implies the existance of an offstage artifact (eg. a starship communicator, remote control to a giant robot ant :wink: ) causes the implied artifact to exist. (Implied artifacts seldom survive the end of the spell unless they can make copies of themselves from local materials [see Xander Mercenary].) While Xander as Gav is an obvious choice, King Luca would be an interesting alternative.

Dalton "who'd love to see Spike meet up with the G.R.A." Spence
    Last edited by DaltonSpence on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    DaltonSpence
    Junior Keenspotter

Postby Freak on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:04 am

His middle name was revealed a few days later; http://www.nukees.com/d/20060310.html
    Freak
    Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees