Paper cutting story

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Paper cutting story

Postby CodeGuy on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:31 am

I like Gav running around, paper-cutting people. It gets back to the idea that Gav is evil, just not nearly as evil as he likes to think he is.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Paper cutting story

Postby bloodeye on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:55 am

.....obviously it's been a while since your last paper cut. They are EVIL.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby cypherpunks on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:18 am

I just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful bit of farce. It is a source of great amusement. The non-radioactive radioactive waste cartoon still amuses me even more, but this is easier to share with the less nerdy. BTW, are there actually "resume work" forms at UCB, or is that just something you made up for irony's sake?
cypherpunks
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 am

My guess is that such thigns do actually exist, though probally not by that name. When a Work Stop is called for unsafe work practices, the various forms and regulations have to be filled out and certified before the Work Stop order can be counteracted. As such, a 'Resume Work' form could be said to actaully exist.

However, in practice, for such an informal decloration of Work Stop a statement of Resume Work by an authorized inspector would probally be enough, without any signed paperwork, and certainly without the signature of the individual who orginally declaired Work Stop.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gav on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:46 pm

cypherpunks wrote:I just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful bit of farce. It is a source of great amusement.

Why thank you, and you're welcome!

The non-radioactive radioactive waste cartoon still amuses me even more, but this is easier to share with the less nerdy. BTW, are there actually "resume work" forms at UCB, or is that just something you made up for irony's sake?

Actually, I'm not really sure what the protocol is for declaring "Stop Work" and if there is any paperwork that needs to be completed before work can resume. I imagine paperwork must be filled out after the fact. From what the EH&S manuals say, a safety officer can declare that everything is hunky dory again--it's not really necessary for the person stopping the work to "restart" it. I imagine they thought about the prospect that someone could bring the lab to its knees if they never allowed work to begin again. Plus, while they want to empower regular employees to stop work they deem is unsafe, they do not want to empower regular employees to make the diagnosis that it is safe again.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Return to Nukees