Christy Joe? Lacey?

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Christy Joe? Lacey?

Postby MaxJenius on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:51 am

Errr... Who are they?

I have a sneeking suspicion that this is an American Idol reference, since that would seem to be a logical assumption due to the huge bizarre popularity of that show. Honestly, I have ignored it the last 3 seasons, only vaguely aware who won it each time. I think the show has zombiefied America, and there are far better things to watch and do, than to take up 3+ hours of my life each week.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
Prediction Points: 1 Confirmed
Spam Kills: XII
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Re: Christy Joe? Lacey?

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:51 am

I'm guessing American Idol, too. My sister once tried to convince me that everyone in America was watching that show. She thought it was completely obvious that every single person but me was watching it.

Not that I haven't had equally oddball conversations. I got sucked into a season of Project Runway once. This led to a conversation at work with the one other person who watched it. Everyone else reacted to us about the way I'm reacting to Gav and Danny's conversation now.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:20 am

I've caught a few references about the show now and again, but have never watched myself. No real urge to, either.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby bmn on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:52 am

Ain't none o' youse know how to Google?
bmn
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:43 am

Actually looking up American Idle would expose me to American Idle stuff.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby John Campbell on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:52 pm

I had no idea what they were talking about, either. I've heard of this "American Idol" thing, but have never seen it, and have only the vaguest idea what it's about.
John Campbell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bmn on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Maybe if you found out what show the strip is talking about, you could find even more ways to say that your prejudices against it are so deeply rooted that you can't bear to learn even the merest additional data. Then you could stop badmouthing "American Idol" while reminding us that you've never wasted a single neuron's firing over such worthless trash.

Is this karma? Is it payback? After hearing other people sneeringly disrespect your lowbrow taste in popular culture -- comic strips -- do you turn around and sneeringly disrespect theirs -- reality TV?

Sure, 90% of reality TV is crap. That's Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap. But 10% of it isn't crap, and about 1% is damn good. The same can be said of comic strips, and you know it.

If you disregard entire genres, you'll cheat yourself out of enjoying the good stuff. If you make decisions without looking at the data, that's prejudice. If you won't even look at reality TV seriously, you're just as bad as people who won't even look at comic strips seriously.
bmn
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:30 pm

I never badmouthed the show. I haven't said one single bad thing about the show.

I said that I had no interest in watching it or learning about it. Have you watched at least one episode of every single show that's been on the air since you've been born? No, and there's nothing wrong with that. We all pick and choose what we want to sample. Personally, I'm not a musically inclined person, so I have no interest in watching the show. I'm also not a sports guy, so I have never watched a baseball game on TV either.

But just because I'm saying that I don't want to watch singing shows or baseball games doesn't mean I'm saying bad things about them.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby KevinHall11 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:59 pm

I am a musician, and I have absolutely no interest in watching the show either. It combines two of my least favorite things. Reality TV and singers. Every once in a while, I'll be suckered into watching the show. We start off with people having their dreams temporarily nurtured only to be shattered in the cruelest possible of ways, which is supposed to be funny, but is actually the most depressing thing on network television. Then we have hours of unjustified ego trips by semi-talented morons who think people care whether or not they've had singing lessons before. Then we all pick a winner who will never make it past their first album, except for Kelly Clarkson.

The choosing of the American Idol winner is the epitome of pandering to the lowest common denominator in the listening audience, and giving people the most unchallenging, unoriginal garbage that they think they want. For the love of crap, half those votes are submitted by 11 year old girls. I consider American Idol the scourge of the music industry, and the final step away from having anything at all to do with music. It's like the whole industry just decided to give up, without actually using the words. That show killed the last remaining shred of hope that I once had for the musical landscape of our society, and I don't blame the creator's since they had a long line of precedence that told them they could get away with it, but it does sadden me. We've finally proven to ourselves that we're not even trying anymore. We're now letting our new favorite icons be chosen by text-in votes from slack-jawed morons, based on who can sing previously released pop standards the best. We should all feel proud of ourselves.
KevinHall11
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MaxJenius on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:10 am

I for one am willing to admit I watch Survivor, Amazing Race and Biggest Loser. I watch a lot of reality shows. I half watch Project Runway. It's one of my wife's fave shows, and I don't object to it. I tend to read something and listen passively to it, and watch the interesting bits.

As for American Idol... I rooted for Fantasia. I rooted for Clay Aiken.

There is only so much of seeing Ryan Seacrest saying "And America voted... right after these commercials."

Or who the latest Worst of the worst is.

I'm willing to let a show have 1 hour a week, maybe 2 if it is the finale show... but not 4 or 5. Not when all the episodes could be easily condensed to a paragraph of text, and summarized in 5 mins.

American Idol. I'm over it. I just wish more of America was too. I just don't want to spend much effort in searching who Christy Joe or Lacey is. I know if I do, I'd be bombarded with even more hype. All I want is someone to confirm that they are/were on AI or not.
Whan the April de shores soote, de draght of Marche hath pierced to the roote. Und bathed every veine, in switch liquor...
---
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby profkikaz on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 am

five seconds of google could have calmed this whole flamefest ... both of these women are on Rock of Love, a show where a washed-up hair-metal rocker tries to find love with the aid of producers and cameramen.

.. I've been reading nukees and this forum for years, I can't believe THIS is the thread that finally got me to register :shifty:
profkikaz
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bmn on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:01 am

profkikaz wrote:five seconds of google could have calmed this whole flamefest ...

Exactly. That's why I posted the link in the first place, so that even yo' mama could figure it out with one click, and she might even catch on to Google it first next time. Guess I asked for one click too many....
bmn
Junior Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Flame fest? Maybe a few smoldering embers, but I would hardly call it a flame fest. More like smoke than fire. :roll:

Any way, thanks for dispelling the theory. :D

And it just falls back onto... Who the heck are Christy Joe and Lacey? In fact, now that I know they aren't on AI, I am even less interested. I'm now wondering why Gav would create a strip about some people so off the radar, but imply that everyone would be aware of them.
---
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 pm

profkikaz wrote:five seconds of google could have calmed this whole flamefest ...

Bmn not massively overreacting would have kept the flamefest from ever happening in the first place. A couple of us made the statement that the recent comic refers to a show we don't watch, suddenly we're being lectured on how insulting we are.

Considering that bmn was the only one tossing out any flames, I don't think it was my responsibility to contribute even five seconds to calming them.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damp_dave on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:57 pm

MaxJenius wrote: I'm now wondering why Gav would create a strip about some people so off the radar, but imply that everyone would be aware of them.

I think that's the point of the humor...

-dd
damp_dave
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Nukees