Scout games?

A sci-fi adventure strip by comic book artist Clint Hollingsworth.

Moderator: macclint

Scout games?

Postby cacao on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Does anyone has good memories from a particular game/activity they had as a teen in scouts? (or while learning wilderness skills, ...) Anything that could fit patrols of 12 to 16-17 boys and girls (some with more or less asthma) and spring some interest in nature and related skills. I've got a feeling there isn't enough focus on wilderness knowledge and scouting skills in my unit. Scouting isn't supposed to be just like any other youth movement, where the parents can get rid of the kids for some time and get them back expended -- and quiet. (Well, it can do that too.) Any other (ex-)scout leader here?
There’s more to life than chocolate, but not right now. -Anonymous
cacao
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Scout games?

Postby Timberwood on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Sounds like those kids need dirt time, and a lot of it.

I wasn't a scout master, but I do remember going hiking and camping with the scouts quite often. I probably would have had more fun if I could have gotten more engaged (I was a little uptight as a kid), and I do remember annoying the adults with the amount of questions I'd ask about various trails and bushes that I'd spot.

I also remember on one hike (my first time camping, and the first 5 mile *hike* (as in over hill, dale, and I think a small mountain in the middle of the Arizona desert) I went on was a complete blast.
Kuma

Understand? Good, play!

As I enter this land
of Angels and Demons
I shall not fear
as the light is my guide
and the darkness is my wrath.

"If you don't like this world, change yourself first! If you don't like that idea, close your eyes and ears and live in solitude! If you don't like that either..."
Timberwood
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby macclint on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:01 am

I'm afraid the scouting in my area was not too well done, so I only made it to cub.... :(
Clint Hollingsworth

"‘Comics will break your heart." Jack "King" Kirby

The Wandering Ones webcomic

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld
macclint
Keenspot Despot

Postby cacao on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:15 am

Timberwood wrote:Sounds like those kids need dirt time, and a lot of it.

Don't worry about that; most of our games take place in the woods, and even within towns they stay quite physical. The kids are disappointed when it gets too soft :-)

Timberwood wrote:I wasn't a scout master, but I do remember going hiking and camping with the scouts quite often. I probably would have had more fun if I could have gotten more engaged (I was a little uptight as a kid),

Heh, don't tell me...

Timberwood wrote:and I do remember annoying the adults with the amount of questions I'd ask about various trails and bushes that I'd spot.

This. I wish we could awaken that kind of interest in wildlife. But the staff (including me) doesn't have much wilderness knowledge or skills (well, absolute basics of course). I'm trying to fix that in my case, at least.

Timberwood wrote:I also remember on one hike (my first time camping, and the first 5 mile *hike* (as in over hill, dale, and I think a small mountain in the middle of the Arizona desert) I went on was a complete blast.
I wish we had that here... :( I suppose we have some forests and swamps, which is always cool.

Timberwood wrote:I'm afraid the scouting in my area was not too well done, so I only made it to cub.... :(

That's exactly the kind of situation I'm trying to avoid.
There’s more to life than chocolate, but not right now. -Anonymous
cacao
Junior Keenspotter

Postby alexanderthesoso on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Well, I've always been fond of Kim's game, have a box set up with a bunch of items, give them 60 seconds to look at it, then 2 minutes later, ask them to list things. A good variant is to set up a campsite, give them 60 seconds to stalk through the camp, then a few minutes later, have them list everything they find. Helps build memory and awareness skills.

Ive actually got a copy (newer reprint) of Lord Baden-Powell's original Scouting for boys that has some games listed, I'lldig through it when i get a chance. (Much better stuff than the current scout books, seriously!)
alexanderthesoso
Junior Keenspotter

Return to The Wandering Ones