The Colony

A sci-fi adventure strip by comic book artist Clint Hollingsworth.

Moderator: macclint

The Colony

Postby Timberwood on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:35 am

Hey Clint:

Dunno if you heard about this, but it definitely sounds like it's up your alley (I've caught a few episodes and it's pretty good). There's a show on Discovery called "The Colony" it's sort of reality TV done Discovery style. They took a number of people ("a cross section of people in America") and cordoned off a ware house in downtown LA (and as needed a few surrounding city blocks) and setup the world as if a biological disaster had occurred and everyone who survived now has to scavenge to get by.

The "Survivor" styling of the show (no one gets "voted off the island") actually lends to the demonstration of the psychological changes that happen in survival situations like Katrina. They have a group of experts that give their informed opinions and take opinions of the people involved in the simulation. It's actually pretty surprising to see some of their reactions, as well as the overall group dynamic.

Looks like it's showing Tuesdays at 10pm if you want to check it out.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/colony.html
Kuma

Understand? Good, play!

As I enter this land
of Angels and Demons
I shall not fear
as the light is my guide
and the darkness is my wrath.

"If you don't like this world, change yourself first! If you don't like that idea, close your eyes and ears and live in solitude! If you don't like that either..."
Timberwood
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The Colony

Postby pdxDaniela on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:45 pm

you know...all this reality shows have an amazing creep factor.
Not putting you down mind you. but reality shows just give me the creeps. There is something wrong there, and funny how a lot of the folks who would watch this might now want to watch real documentaries about events like katrina. Or people trying to survive darfur...I hate "reality" shows
pdxDaniela
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: The Colony

Postby Timberwood on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm

you know...all this reality shows have an amazing creep factor.
Not putting you down mind you. but reality shows just give me the creeps. There is something wrong there, and funny how a lot of the folks who would watch this might now want to watch real documentaries about events like katrina. Or people trying to survive darfur...I hate "reality" shows

As I said, it's not a reality show. More accurately it's a simulation that was filmed and time compressed to fit into a broadcast TV slot. Occasionally they pull people in the simulation aside and ask them questions pertaining to their mental state and well being, this being the only "reality" TV like portion of the show. They are given objectives to meet but nothing as silly as the game show challenges on Survivor or it's ilk. No one gets 'voted out of the colony' they have had one member disappear. He was -- again -- not voted off, they went to raid supplies at a hospital and he disappeared in the middle of it. Just like people do in real life, especially during survival situations.

Personally I should hope that it *would* encourage them to watch footage from Darfur and Katrina. The entire simulation is based around data gathered from those situations and countless others like them. It's well calculated what these people will go through mentally, emotionally, and physically. The show is an open example of how the body and mind react during prolonged survival situations, especially for people that are subject to groupthink, and are not trained how to handle a prolonged survival situation. It's also fair warning for those that *are* versed in the arts of survival as to what to expect. Especially when it comes to running into groups of people, that typically want your stuff, especially if it's food and water, and don't care who you are.

As for the "not putting [me] down..." comment. I'm sorry but this is usually stated by someone who is either:
  • about to crap all over your idea or post, typically with little regard to what you're driving at
  • about to invite you over for a well cooked meal... of rotten fish
So while that may or may not have been your intent, your post certainly was taken with a certain sense of "Here, let me show you the effects of a good dousing on your fire." as it was delivered. Especially with regard to your opening comment, before the "not putting..." comment.

Personally I watch very little TV; House, The Colony, a few Discovery Channel, TLC, and History channel shows (documentaries on military histories, Japan, Fight Quest (on rare occasion), Mythbusters, and different biblical interpretations that I happen across) are all I regularly watch. For me to recommend a TV show, a show like this one in particular, especially considering the group that I'm recommending it to, is a very rare thing indeed.
Kuma

Understand? Good, play!

As I enter this land
of Angels and Demons
I shall not fear
as the light is my guide
and the darkness is my wrath.

"If you don't like this world, change yourself first! If you don't like that idea, close your eyes and ears and live in solitude! If you don't like that either..."
Timberwood
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to The Wandering Ones