More like Clint

A sci-fi adventure strip by comic book artist Clint Hollingsworth.

Moderator: macclint

More like Clint

Postby Sultec on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Suggestions needed for more online comics with an art style like Clint's (I don't know what it's called)
Sultec
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: More like Clint

Postby feonixrift on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:47 am

I dunno about online comics, but in terms of art style, his work is far more like traditional comic books. Of which there are a stupefying number. In terms of writing style and story arcs, I just can't compare, Clint's stuff is a little-populated corner that I wonder at the rarity of. More should be out there, but I haven't found it.
Idealism isn't dead, it's just sitting in a tree wondering what in the world you're doing.
"Too much movement. You're safest an inch from the sword."
Ad astra
feonixrift
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Timberwood on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:16 pm

I'd have to say Clint's style is very similar to DC Comics, especially their older styles. I've also seen similar with Mary Worth, and I know Clint himself has referenced Prince Valiant as a point of reference for his style. Old Sunday comics seem to have had more of this style as well, such as Dick Tracy. Also a few religious comics that I've seen have had similar styles.

However it's too detailed for most modern day artists to try to keep up (I'm surprised at points that Clint has maintained the level of detail (in fact added to it compared to the early strips) that he has). You might want to check out those comics, for the art style.

The content however is very difficult to find. I can kind of understand why, people really like post apoc fiction (in fact there was a whole tread about it not too far back) but it's hard to get right. If you're too close to reality it's a drag, if you're too far it's fantasy. Then again if you keep too much tech you go cyberpunk (or post apoc cyberpunk) too little tech and you're back to cavemen flinging poo at each other. Now if you skip the post apoc stuff and just go straight survivalist / "mountain man" style, there's a LOT of fiction to be had. Hatchet (excellent book the first my father absolutely refused to spoil the end of for me), My Side of the Mountain (haven't read, heard it was supposed to be the sequel to Hatchet), Moby Dick, pretty much anything from Muir, or Jack London (I think it was London... wrote White Fang) has a lot of survivalist mentality to the protagonists. A fair few even border on the "super natural"; one writing assignment I had in school was on one of their short stories about a gold miner in Alaska who freezes to death before reaching camp. Then he follows the search party as they find his body.

Actually that could be an interesting comic in and of itself.. :smug:
Kuma

Understand? Good, play!

As I enter this land
of Angels and Demons
I shall not fear
as the light is my guide
and the darkness is my wrath.

"If you don't like this world, change yourself first! If you don't like that idea, close your eyes and ears and live in solitude! If you don't like that either..."
Timberwood
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby macclint on Tue May 26, 2009 7:45 am

Clint Hollingsworth

"‘Comics will break your heart." Jack "King" Kirby

The Wandering Ones webcomic

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld
macclint
Keenspot Despot

Postby summersong on Tue May 26, 2009 6:09 pm

hey kuma.....

the sequel to hatchet is called The River. Then there's Brians Return, and the alternate plot line Brian's Winter. these are about a kid who survives a plain crash into the Canadian back country and learns to survive while waiting for rescue.

in My Side of the Mountain the main character chooses to go up into the Catskills. the sequels are The Far Side of the Mountain and Frightful's Mountain. it has much to do with raptor bird conservation as well as survivalism.

sorry to be brief but im still busy. :roll:
if i can see skies that are blue, trees that are green and homes that hold welcome.... it is a good day.

"The road to disaster is ordered by the righteous, planned by the well-meaning, and paved with their good intentions." - Owlflight, M. Lackey & L. Dixon
summersong
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Steve on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:15 pm

I would call the art style "realistic" - ie proportions are about right, people are drawn with detail. Other webcomics I like with similar art styles (but vastly different content) include:

Xyliahttp://xyliatales.com/
Sea of Insanity - http://fractuslux.comicgenesis.com/
Dr McNinja http://www.drmcninja.com/
Planet Karen http://planetkaren.girl-wonder.org/
The Steve

SCHLUUUUUURP Count: 3 ( Tasty! )
The Steve
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby macclint on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:30 am

Hey Steve,

Long time no see! What's shakin'?