Ask Bob Roberds: Baking

Cannot be described through mere words.

Moderator: broberds

Postby Shepherd on Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:33 am

Hi Bob,<P>I've been a big fan ever since your cameo in "Lonesome Dove" as the farmboy torn between his devotion to his dying father's homestead and his mad passionate dream of becoming a poet in the big city.<P>I bought some "pre-mixed" cake flour the other day without noticing. When I got home I saw it was "pre-mixed" -- that is, with baking powder and salt already added to the flour. The thing is, my cake recipe calls for baking SODA, not baking POWDER. Now, both are rising ingredients, right, but obviously not the same thing, because they have DIFFERENT NAMES.<P>So if the pre-mixed flour already has the POWDER added and the recipe calls for SODA, what do I do? Add it anyway? Or trust that the pre-added powder will do the soda's job?<P>Thanks,<P><P>------------------
Matt Shepherd
Writer, Man-Man Comics
<A HREF="http://manmancomics.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Man-Man Comics!</A>
Shepherd
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby broberds on Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:41 am

You may be hosed. Since baking POWDER consists of baking SODA plus a dry acid, this pre-mixed flour is gonna have a pH all outta whack with regular flour and the proportions of BS called for by your recipe won't interact right with this stuff that already has BP in it.
You can try just using it as is w/o adding BS, but that may not work...and if you add the BS, is atmost CERTAINLY won't work.
I'd recommend just getting another sack of flour, but that could take years and cost millions of lives.
<P>------------------
Bob Roberds
<A HREF="http://www.soaprope.com" TARGET=_blank>Soap on a Rope</A>
broberds
Keenspot Despot

Return to Soap on a Rope