Purchasing Licenses

Life at the help desk of Ubersoft, a software company.

Moderators: wrightc, stjen

Purchasing Licenses

Postby stjen on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:55 pm

Although I can envision lots of good play with this story line and purchasing licensed copies of ND, I'm wondering why they didn't just issue themselves a Site License. Usually, although there may be a list price for one, those things are negotiated severely, even to the point of "if you give me this, we'll give you a free site license" type deals.

Think of the opportunities -- they get back with their new licenses, and they're told to take it back, because of the new site license. But then, later on, when that license code gets out in the real world and everyone starts using it (like happened with that all 1's code for W2K or Office?), another division of Ubersoft will outlaw it as rogue.
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby wrightc on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:37 pm

Well yes, the premise of the storyline is sort of ridiculous. I can't think of any software company that would send an employee to the store in order to buy its own software. The idea just sort of tickled me.

Plus, I wanted to use CompUSURY in a storyline again.
Christopher B. Wright (wrightc@ubersoft.net)
The Internet's Most Dangerous Cartoonist
Help Desk: http://www.ubersoft.net
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby davidfor on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:25 pm

You're right, I can't think of a company that would tell their employees to go to a shop to buy their software. But, I remember when I was working at IBM there were bulletins sent out to tell people to stop doing exactly that. I believe people were finding it easier to go to a shop and buy software, rather than go through the correct channels. This included getting copies of OS/2 and Smartsuite (yes, it's been a while).
David
davidfor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby letmeusetheidiwant on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:08 pm

Not software, but hardware I've seen this. Working in market research and doing a hardware installation test, users would get free hardware for letting a tech team observe, but the company couldn't provide the hardware. The research firm had to buy it, at retail prices, and get reimbursed.

Such are the joys of product testing.
All data is flawed, some just less so.
letmeusetheidiwant
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Help Desk