Monk returns from the dead?

Life at the help desk of Ubersoft, a software company.

Moderators: wrightc, stjen

Monk returns from the dead?

Postby wrightc on Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:25 am

Monk, my beloved Alienware laptop, may have a new lease on life.

As you may remember, it died a nasty death after the warranty had expired. I called a few repair shops, and when the techs learned it was an Alienware laptop they were reluctant to look at it, because Alienware uses custom parts.

In desperation, I called CompUSA and asked them if their "we fix all computers, regardless of where you bought it" included Alienware laptops.

"Sure," the guy replied. He sounded surprised.

SO yesterday I brought it in. It's going to cost $135 just to get it looked at and get an estimate, but that's more progress than I've made so far, and if it costs less to fix than it does to buy a new one I'll consider it money well spent.

So keep your fingers crossed! I want my laptop back!

And if they fix it, I'm going to invest in one of those passive laptop cooling systems...
Christopher B. Wright (wrightc@ubersoft.net)
The Internet's Most Dangerous Cartoonist
Help Desk: http://www.ubersoft.net
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby The_Librarian on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:30 am

If they can fix your laptop, no doubt it'll make your year even better. Let's hope for the best.
The_Librarian
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dances with Binky on Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:54 am

Gee Skipper, if they fix your laptop you will have to buy more computer games that suck you in and drain your reality. Seeing a regularly published help desk cartoon would be just too impossible seeing your recent lack of commitment to your audience. But if it works for Ubersoft, it must be right.
Dances with Binky
Junior Keenspotter

Postby effovex on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:49 pm

I don't think anything ever used by Ubersoft could ever be considered right.
Poison is an acquired taste.
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby wrightc on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:41 am

Alas, it turns out Monk is unfixable. :(

Oh well.
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby effovex on Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:20 pm

They charged you 135$ to tell you that it's unfixable?
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby wrightc on Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:26 pm

They charged $135 to verify exactly what the problem is.

As I suspected, it was the motherboard. CompUSA told me that they can't get motherboards from Alienware. Alienware won't replace the motherboard because it's no longer under warrantly. The guy did tell me that if I came across another laptop with a board I could use as a replacement part, they could replace it and if I did it within 30 days it would still be covered by my original work order.

So I *could* go trolling ebay for alienware laptops... but that's not very economical.

Not really CompUSA's fault here. It's what I get for deciding to buy from a company that does custom work.
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby stjen on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:39 pm

Guess what! I just happened to be wandering around Overstock.com and found an Alienware Laptop on their Auctions site. Here it is:

Alienware Area51M Laptop

check it out now -- there's only a day left on the auction, and it's only at about $350 (now).

Good luck if it's worth it (or just swap hard drives into it).
. -- Scott
stjen
Keenspot Despot

Postby wrightc on Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:36 am

Wow. This might be the way to go...

*crosses fingers*
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby wrightc on Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:40 am

Hm. It *would* have been the way to go, but it seems the bidding ends a day before I'd have the means to pay for it. No sense in putting in a bid with money I don't have.

Alas.
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby effovex on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:28 am

Did the other places charge you 135$ to tell you they don't fix AlienWare laptops? I don't know, seems to me the other places you went to were more honest and competent than CompUSA.

135$ just seems outrageously high an amount to charge for confirming what you already knew and every other places told you...
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby wrightc on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:44 am

Well... other places would have charged me to diagnose the problem. Perhaps not $135.00.

See, I *suspected* it was a motherboard problem, but I didn't know. If it had been bad ram, that is easily fixable. If ti had been a bad/cooked CPU, that would be easier to fix than the motherboard. Better to know for sure that it's not one of those before writing off the whole purchase, right? So I went to CompUSA pretty sure that if it was the motherboard I was still screwed, but thinking hey, if it's something else there's a light at the end of this tunnel.

And CompUSA told me the cost of the diagnostic before I paid them, and said they were willing to fix whatever they could. *shrug* If Alienware was willing to make their motherboards available to people other than themselves, CompUSA would have fixed it.

As far as I'm concerned Alienware is far more to blame than CompUSA for this mess. They *have* motherboards they could use to replace my laptop, but I was told -- by them -- that those parts are only available to people ACTIVELY under warranty. In other words, I was willing to pay for their time and labor and parts in order to get my laptop fixed, and they told me to piss off. CompUSA was willing to do what they could, but they were limited in what they could do.

$135 is a lot of money. I agree with you. I would have preferred *not* to spend it. That said, I only had a *suspicion* what the problem was, not a confirmation, and the laptop itself was a $3000 investment -- that's even more. Considering that Alienware was unwilling to do ANYTHING to help me recover a $3000 investment, and CompUSA was willing to at least take a look, I paid the $135. I'm a lot happier with my dealing with CompUSA than my dealing with Alienware. I loved their laptop, but as soon as you drop out of their warranty apparently you mean nothing to them.

Funny/sad thing is I'll still be paying it off for most of the rest of this year... :P
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby wrightc on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:53 am

Oh, the other part of that is that they told me if I was able to come in the following day (Saturday) they'd refund me half of that money because they couldn't actually fix anything. Unfortunately, I spent part of Saturday throwing up and the other part sleeping and feverish. Them's the breaks on my end.
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Postby ArtistsDad on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:33 pm

Just went to check on the auctioned Alienware. Finished at $819. But apparently they extended the auction and now the sellers data is unavailable. I chatted with him before it ended. He wanted $1000 for the buy-it-now price. Maybe he was disappointed.
ArtistsDad
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Attredies on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:12 pm

effovex wrote:They charged you 135$ to tell you that it's unfixable?

lol, sounds like an UberSoft scheme
Attredies
Junior Keenspotter

Postby loup on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:59 am

I hate charging people for just diagnosing problems with their computer, it just rubs me the wrong way. Over time though I kind of built up a general policy for myself, if I can fix it but they don't want me to for some reason (like cost,) then I charge for the time spent diagnosing the problem, if I simply can't fix the problem for some reason, then I don't charge anything.

I can understand why a big company like CompUSA would want to charge for it, but it seems like the desire for customer satisfaction would lead them not to.
loup
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Help Desk