Hermit no more.

The official message board of involuntary celibacy.

Moderators: Aaron M. Holm, esquire, PostProductionPrincess

Hermit no more.

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 am

Hey, Kids.

Just wanted to let you know that I will be ceasing my funk and am ready to rejoin the living. Expect me to be back to work bright and early Monday morning.

That is all. Feel free to go about your business.

Regards,

A.
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
--------------------------------------------
Sex & Violence * Joe Average
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Hermit no more.

Postby Dr. Jeff on Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:17 pm

Aaron M. Holm, esquire wrote:Hey, Kids.

Just wanted to let you know that I will be ceasing my funk and am ready to rejoin the living. Expect me to be back to work bright and early Monday morning.

That is all. Feel free to go about your business.

Regards,

A.
Uh... Ok. Killer.

But how's gonna win Super Bowl XXXVIII this weekend? :roll:
[size=75]Minor deity Dr. Jeff, Administrator of Catgirl Heaven
Inventor of [color=blue]Instant Water
Dr. Jeff
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sabaccplayer on Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:45 pm

*Exhales breath he's been holding since November 4*

Yeah, thanx.
"AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE CUZ STONE COLD SAID SO!" Stone Cold Steve Austin
"We deal in lead friend." Steve McQueen, The Magnificent Seven
"Do you like.............................Pie?" The Rock
"NOW GET IN THE PIT AND TRY TO LOVE SOMEONE!" Kid Rock
"I Am That Damn Good!" HHH and yeah me too.
Sabaccplayer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Trollroot on Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:06 pm

Yay?
Trollroot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:19 pm

Dare I say "oops?" :oops:

Anyway, there's a new strip up now and there's several more waiting in the wings.

Read or don't, it's your choice.
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
--------------------------------------------
Sex & Violence * Joe Average
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sabaccplayer on Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:43 am

It's cool. Just keep them coming.
"AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE CUZ STONE COLD SAID SO!" Stone Cold Steve Austin
"We deal in lead friend." Steve McQueen, The Magnificent Seven
"Do you like.............................Pie?" The Rock
"NOW GET IN THE PIT AND TRY TO LOVE SOMEONE!" Kid Rock
"I Am That Damn Good!" HHH and yeah me too.
Sabaccplayer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby JohnnyStrider on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:12 pm

I just saw this sucker(Feb 18th) today.
Damn near missed it.

Curse you Aaron. Everytime I think you're not comming back you pop up with a new comic.
JohnnyStrider
Keenspot Juggernaut

What's the deal?

Postby yellowhat on Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:43 am

Several more waiting in the wings? Don't make me laugh... don't lead us on like this. If you're burned out, you're burned out, and it might help to let your readers know this. I mean, it's been over a month. If you really had comics "waiting in the wings", as you say you do, it wouldn't take a month to post ONE of them, at the very least.... I love your comic, and you're obviously very talented, but lying to your readers is not the way to keep them coming back. This is just ridiculous.

-yellowhat
yellowhat
Junior Keenspotter

Oorah

Postby GeorgeBaby on Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:55 am

It's nice to have you back, Aaron.
GeorgeBaby
Junior Keenspotter

Postby TdotOdot2k on Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:11 am

Yellowhat: A crude,rude, downright mean, but effective way of getting the point across, methinks.

He makes a good point. I would LOVE more strips...but how long have we been waiting? It's hard to believe, but we try. I've read no mention of new S&V though....mayhaps you should address that community too?

Theres also the idea...if you're still burned out, then you should probably still be waiting until you're ready again. Sometimes people don't snap out of this, so its nice to see you trying.

A plausable solution, since you have 2 webcomics going at once, would be to put one on indefinite hold. You can't keep one up to date, as your life is hectic and you're burnt out....why torture yourself with 2?
Dotty wrote:I almost see those two as disgrunted DD readers. Celesto is the casual fan who snaps after enough cliffhangers and racist/dumb bad guys, and proceeds to kill them one by one. TIM is a step further. He's completely lost his mind after the SuperGreg arc and proceeds to insert himself into the comic with the goal to kill absolutely anything that moves, as it might become a secondary cast member if he leaves it alone too long.
TdotOdot2k
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby carsonfire on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:18 am

I'm rooting for Aaron, but then, I've went through this myself.

I don't know Aaron real well, but I can take some guesses based on what I know and what I've seen: he loves comics, and does them as much as he can. Like all of us, though, real life tends to interfere, especially if you're investing a lot of time into the comics and not getting much support in return... that is, revenue from advertising, occasional donations, that kind of thing.

There are a lot of myths -- or, at least, excuses -- readers use to beat up on struggling web cartoonists. First, there is the assumption that less-successful cartoonists should have no more trouble updating than successful ones; and that if they only updated more, they'd be successful.

There are so many things wrong with that, it's hard to know where to start. First, I know of webcomics that have caught fire even when updating was infrequent or spotty; hot comics have had updating difficulties or have gone on extensive hiatus without losing "hotness". Some comics remain hot with nothing but a static archive. Heck, I remember one comic that became hot (back in the Big Panda list days) even before one comic had been posted; it remained hot for some time, just based on the expectation of what the comic was going to be. IIRC, there never were any comics.

There are popular comics by cartoonists who have gotten on track. I recall recently R Milholland issued a challenge to his readers, insisting that he could update better and keep up with spelling mistakes, etc, if his readers donated a full salary for him, so he could take off from his job. Don't get me wrong; I thought that was a marvelous idea, and I was glad to see he succeeded. The point is that is popularity was not tied *just* to his updating. While bad updating can hurt you, it's not the determining factor of "hotness".

Another example would be some time back, waaay back when I was still updating Elf Life fairly regularly. Another Keenspot comic, Avalon (a fine comic, again, don't anybody misinterpret me!), went on an extended hiatus... during that period of time, Avalon's traffic held solid, while I continued to fail to attract readers with constant new comics.

In my case, the majority of my updating problems came *after* that period of time, after having to move and find a new job, and realizing that I still hadn't done anything to find a big enough audience to sustain the series. It wasn't happening from just updating a lot; it wasn't happening from critical praise from other cartoonists; it wasn't happening from big improvements in my art and writing. The series was simply too complicated for some, and remained "sucky" to enough other readers.

These complaints about updating are generally accompanied with remonstrations about how these cartoonists should be doing this "just for the love of it". This one's outrageous! If Aaron didn't love comics, would he be putting himself through this hell? Because I had confidence in what I was doing, I went through years of living in very near poverty in the desert, literally wearing rags, in order to put as much effort and time into my series, so it would have time to grow -- but it didn't. And for a reward, I got people drawing stick figures lecturing me that I should be doing it "just for the love of it".

What you see here is Aaron trying to get back on an abusive horse that he loves. He loves comics, and, like most talented cartoonists, wants to make a living doing it. But he can't, yet, because it's not exactly a hot career, and success on the internet is limited to a handful of very successful creators.

When you don't have that success, the pressure is on from friends, family, and associates at work... you're depriving yourself of sleep, neglecting important matters, doing everything you can to churn out the comics. That's stipulating, by the way, that you are a cartoonist who draws the comics by hand, as opposed to many webcartoonists whose workload is minimal (despite the quality of their work or hotness) -- sprite comics, comics with static characters from panel to panel -- flash stick figures, etc...

If Aaron is getting back on that horse, he's not burnt out from *comics*, but he may be burnt out on failing to get that following, failing to find a way to make it work.

This comes to one of the last myths, the "why don't you have a better business plan?" argument. There is a little bit of truth to this, but only inasmuch as the cartoonist can maybe try a different series idea or technique. There is nothing he can do by way of a "business plan" to guarantee *hotness*.

In my case, I finally came up with a different "business plan", which is to put the big epicy, way-too-ambitious Elf Life on the shelf altogether and start a much smaller, traditional comic strip dealing with more current, topical issues. Although my initial plan was to attract a very specific demographic, it's been received better by mainstream webcomic readers than I expected -- even been Websnarked and Tangented -- but the jury is still out on whether it will be "hot".

I can't guess what decisions Aaron's made, in trying to get started again. My own humble advice would be to simply try to avoid making the same mistakes, over and over. What I'm doing -- but who knows if I'm taking the right course? -- is to work only on a very small-scale project that doesn't take over my life until I can find the audience I need. If Winger doesn't work out in, say, six months to a year, I can always end the series gracefully (instead of painfully dragging it out like Elf Life) and try a different idea.

I wish Aaron good luck!
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Return to Joe Average