Does anyone even care or check this place anymore?

The official message board of involuntary celibacy.

Moderators: Aaron M. Holm, esquire, PostProductionPrincess

Postby silentdarth on Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:34 am

Good luck on everything else Aaron, I'm sorry to sound like a dick because I know you have a life and work a lot. Being there myself, the last thing you want to do is work on something else that can be quite labor intensive when you get home. But as a fan and a human being, give this up. I'm sorry that this thing can't keep going, but it's pointless now. it's been almost a full month since the last update, and I have gone from defending the lulls to being bothered by them, but this just can't go on. If you keep it up, you'll start to feel bad that it never updates. If you let it go, maybe you can resurrect it someday. I can't view your weblog at work and don't have much time for internet at home either. I'm sure you've had a lot to say there. But, again, good luck on everything else, but I can't see where anyone is keeping up with this anymore. To say "I'm back in it. I'm going to update every Mon, Wed, Friday. Then go steady for about a week, then fall off again, then get back and update once a week, then not update for a month is like a girlfriend who's "Not ready yet." She keeps putting you off every date and you never get anywhere. After a while, you just give up. I'm sorry to say, I'm giving up. You have an amazing talent that is going to waste. You're stuck in a position you can't get out of right now and I understand that, better than some. There's a time, however, when either you, or the other people involved, (fans) have to either say, "It's been a great ride while it lasted, but it can't go on like this. Let's just leave as friends and maybe, just maybe, time will tell something different." Hey, maybe, just maybe, it will. For now, let's just stay friends and see what the future holds. Again, good luck, you've always seemed pretty mature, so I'm not to concerned about you being offended by this, if you are, sorry man. Someone had to say it, and I know you've been holding out hope.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
silentdarth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: If there's a bright center of the universe, I'm at the point it's farthest from.

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:10 am

Completely understandable.

And unavoidable, really. No begging to stay from me. I've worn out tohose privilages with readers , long ago. Instead, I wish you all the best and offer apologies for not being able to deliver more than I could. Hope new and better strips find you down the road. (Which is pretty-much a given, really.)

I was just drawing new strips up last night and thinking about how I was losing people the longer I miss updates. Time is such my enemy, anymore... Especially when I have but a few hours, at all, every now and again to work on these things, and even that is subjective. I'm still hoping that I can turn things around soon, once I get my eventual move underway. *crosses fingers*

Anyway, Good Luck & take care. :)
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
--------------------------------------------
Sex & Violence * Joe Average
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Meganeguard on Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:57 am

I just wanted to say that I check here everyday day to see if you have updated Aaron, and although I would like to see a strip it really doesn't bother me when I don't see one. a couple of my favorite online artists Drew Weing and Josh Lesnick also went on long hiatuses and i continued checking every day. sorry if this is rambly, but you have my support
Meganeguard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby silentdarth on Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:17 pm

Aaron has done the one thing that will always keep fans faithful, he responded intelligently, honestly, and respectfully. For that, I'll always check back and forth to see if there is anything. I have given up a couple times, but when he replies to a post the way he did, dammit, I can't not give the guy my respect and support. Ok Aaron, you got me. I'll stick around and up for you too. Or course, Amber is taking the reins, I'm gonna reserve judgement just yet, but I hope the one today was a joke... :lol:
silentdarth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: If there's a bright center of the universe, I'm at the point it's farthest from.

Postby Meganeguard on Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:51 pm

I think it is a joke too, and i hope that it is because I really don't want this strip to be anime/manga inspired
Meganeguard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:13 pm

silentdarth wrote:Or course, Amber is taking the reins, I'm gonna reserve judgement just yet, but I hope the one today was a joke... :lol:

Never fear... JA will be back to normal, next week.

This week is essentially a joke that spawned from the Livejournal post I made a while back, announcing that Amber's taking over the writing. A friend of mine joked that it was going to be all cutesy from here on out, which led to the whole "Magical, Happy, Chibi, Fun-Time" thing kinda spwned from that.

It's kinda freaky, I'll admit it... But, when the person who controls the sex makes a request, you can't help but say "yes." :wink:
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Meganeguard on Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:34 pm

guess you can't argue with that huh. hehe
Meganeguard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bkfriend on Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:12 am

Hey, Long time no write. Thought the JA was funny. It does however raise a thought... You could farm out some of the effort in the strips to others. I don't know enough about it to make suggestions but it's athought anyhow.

Brian

Sorry wanted to add... even when you don't have the time RL GF whatever to update I still check daily the reason being this is one of those comics like CRFH!!! that just maintains an insanely high level of quality. You know even if you only updated once a quarter and still maintained the integrity of the comic I would be fine with it. I would still want more but that's just because I'm a greedy SOB.
b.
bkfriend
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby silentdarth on Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:01 am

Being someone who gets no sex these days, I won't argue with you.
I do strongly disagree with the "once a quarter" statement, but that's just me. I really love this comic, and that's why I made my post about giving up. Then, the very next time I check, I guess to see if anyone posted, there is a strip. I think it's cool to do something goofy every once in a while, helps keep things fresh and gives the artist/writer/etc a break.An, of course, Aaron goes being all polite so I can't be mad anymore. So here's one more last chane to hope things get in the right direction. And Aaron, I read a lot of comics, I was an English major in College, and I know you hear this alot, but if there is something you need help with, just let me know, I would love to have a hand in this if possible.
silentdarth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby NioTciVnoC on Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:46 pm

Let her write the strip. Bring some fresh air to JA.

As far as updating the strip anyone that has been a long time reader of JA or SV knows wsup. They either accept it or leave. It is free and a great read. I don't need a update every week to keep me coming back. I only check keenspot once a month anyway.
1 w4n7 s0m3
NioTciVnoC
Junior Keenspotter

Postby silentdarth on Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:00 am

I AM a longtime reader, and you know as well as I do that people have complained about it. Sure, it is free, and complaining really isn't that cool. I even stood up for it once, but when a comic goes a month without an update, that can be too long, and people who are fans do get a bit of leeway to vent a complaint bow and then.
Either way, things are appearing to get back on track, so we'll let it go and be happy there's new stuff and apparently life on the forums is returning.
silentdarth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:07 am

silentdarth wrote:I even stood up for it once, but when a comic goes a month without an update, that can be too long, and people who are fans do get a bit of leeway to vent a complaint bow and then.

Completely understandable and irrefutable.

I'm going to be up-front and honest when I say that I'm gonna be trying my damnedest to keep on track, but I may miss a day or two, every now and again.

HOWEVER...

What I will not be doing anymore is taking months off at a time without a general announcement concerning the absence, beforehand. It's not fair to everyone who reads the strip and it makes me feel like an even bigger jerk than I do when I take time off.

So, that's the plan, and I'll do my best to keep to it... Even if I have to write notes to myself to remember to do it.
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby silentdarth on Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:40 am

I sound like that ass kisser vashthestampede when I say this, but I'll keep checking and I'll be supportive of you as long as the effort is visible and you communicate with us. Things happen, I understand that and respect your work, because it is good. Just get frustrated because I enjoy your work. But the horse is dead. Let's get this forum back to what it was with liveliness and stuff and no gloom and doom.

By the way Aaron, if you're looking for help maybe with the forum, I would like to offer my assistance as a mod for it. I would like to have a forum that doesn't degrade into a bitch or flamefest and where people can intelliegently talk about anything they want within reason. And also where we could discuss the comic, etc.
silentdarth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PostProductionPrincess on Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:03 am

Aaron M. Holm, esquire wrote:It's kinda freaky, I'll admit it... But, when the person who controls the sex makes a request, you can't help but say "yes." :wink:

That'd better not be the only reason you let me have some fun here, or else you made a *BIG* lapse in judgement, MR. :-? One that will result in even less sex. :P

Yeah, it's a joke. The point was supposed to be to get more people going "what the holy hell?" and generate some more "come on over and check this out" talk.
PostProductionPrincess
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:19 am

PostProductionPrincess wrote:That'd better not be the only reason you let me have some fun here, or else you made a *BIG* lapse in judgement, MR. :-? One that will result in even less sex. :P

Oops. Talk about your "Open Mouth, Insert Foot" kind of moment... :oops:
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Vash_the_Stampede on Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:43 am

PostProductionPrincess wrote:
Aaron M. Holm, esquire wrote:It's kinda freaky, I'll admit it... But, when the person who controls the sex makes a request, you can't help but say "yes." :wink:

That'd better not be the only reason you let me have some fun here, or else you made a *BIG* lapse in judgement, MR. :-? One that will result in even less sex. :P

Yeah, it's a joke. The point was supposed to be to get more people going "what the holy hell?" and generate some more "come on over and check this out" talk.

hey you can't say holy hell thats an eightland patented thing
Do not lose faith, even if faith has lost you- Neo Nexus
Vash_the_Stampede
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby genericname on Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:31 am

Yes, on both counts.
genericname
Keenspotter Supreme

There is no yesterday

Postby Foo. on Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:29 pm

Great to see the comics updating again. Read them for a while, but only now had a reason to register on the forums.

It would appear there's a small problem with the "back" links on both Joe Average and Sex and Violence. In the case of Joe Average, the link goes to http://www.joeaverage.org/d/20030718.html which is a blank page. Further, the last strip in the archives I read links 'Next' to a similarly blank page located at http://www.joeaverage.org/d/20030625.html. A similar behavior is observed for Sex and Violence. Its blank page is located at http://www.mrbang.net/d/20030715.html. The other archives I checked did not appear to be affected.

I randomly checked RPGWorld, another Keenspot comic, to see if it showed the same behavior. It did not.

Hope this info helps.
Foo.
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Joe Average