A Reaffirmation of Goals (or, My Webcomic Manifesto)

The official message board of involuntary celibacy.

Moderators: Aaron M. Holm, esquire, PostProductionPrincess

A Reaffirmation of Goals (or, My Webcomic Manifesto)

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:28 am

I've been presusing through my forum entries over the past couple of years, and I've found a lot of entries where I talked about how JA or S&V is returning, and how I'm gonna do this and gonna do that, and how it's all gonna be better, and then it all ends up turning to crap and we're right back where we started again, and everybody's pissed.

My first thought was "Whoah... Deja Vu."

'Course, I think with my record, it goes kinda beyond Deja Vu, into the world of recurrant behavior... Dear God, I suck.

Still, the fact of the matter is that I do need to change. I do need to be better, and there's a lot of things that I need to improve and deal with, in order for things to improve both for me and my work.

And, with that, here's the score...

As I said before, the strip resumes on Monday. I've been working super-hard when thse rare free moments arise and I've actually created a decent backlog of strips, and I'm gonna really put out the supreme effort to make 2003 a year when my stuff gets back into notice again.

I know I've got a hell of an uphill climb ahead of me, and that I am, for the most part, going to have to rebuild my reader base again, and that most people are going to be laying some heavy-duty odds against my succeeding, and frankly, I don't blame them one bit. I haven't been reliable, professional, approachable, or noticable for the past year. I won't deliver any more excuses for myself on the matter, because you've all heard them time and again.

I want to be better.

I want my work to be better.

I'm going to distance myself from my old Charles Foster Kane-esque "everybody-needs-to-love-me-and-love-what-I-give-them" mindset, and I'm going to stop begging you all to like what I create. I hope you like it and enjoy what I produce, but I'm not going to grovel at your feet about it. If you like it, great; if you don't, oh well. I can't let myself fall into that trap where I grind to a halt whenever people don't care for what I'm doing. I can't keep switching gears mid-story when people start bitching about the length of the story or the direction I'm taking things. I've let everyone else run my the course of work for so long that it's worn me the hell out and that's the quickest way to end up back in that pit of depression with another case of strip-crippling creative block.

I refuse to let myself be the weak link of Keenspot anymore. I won't be the one who people still wonder why they still keep around. I want my work to be strong, shining stars in the webcomics world, but to do so, it's going to take a lot of hard work and a lot of patience. I can't have it all at once, and that was something I wasn't able to accept, previously. My focus wasn't correctly directed and my work suffered, as a result. This is going to change.

This is my goal.

This is how it's going to be, from now on.

I hope you all join me for the ride.
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
--------------------------------------------
Sex & Violence * Joe Average
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Vash_the_Stampede on Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:44 pm

I've said it once and I'll say it again, until you say that you are actually stopping I'll be here everyday checking forums and the web pages, Currently judging by the forum I may be your only reader but damn it to hell I am not going to give up faith in you and I will give you all the time in the world

P.S. I couldn't get off this ride if I tried, it's just to damn fun!

P.P.S.S. I wish you the best of luck in everything and I will be here even when it all turns to shit
Do not lose faith, even if faith has lost you- Neo Nexus
Vash_the_Stampede
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby IwonTheFridge on Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:10 pm

well you aren't the only one, but i did find joe average a lil "late" (like just a few weeks ago). and right after i signed up for the forums...they crashed....then my account got inactivated....but now im here....if for any other reason than to let it be known that i think this comic rules, and please keep up the good work.
"Was this what it was like for everybody? Did they all keep thinking of ways to poison or drop or otherwise kill thier babies?"
IwonTheFridge
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Where ever I happen to be at this exact moment in time

re: goals

Postby curtis on Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:49 pm

My name is Curtis, and I am an alcoholic.
curtis
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: re: goals

Postby Aaron M. Holm, esquire on Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:46 pm

curtis wrote:My name is Curtis, and I am an alcoholic.

Well, that certainly would explain why your strip looked and read the way that it did. :wink:
Mr. Holm is personally responsible for the quality of his comics. If you and your friends aren't completely and utterly entertained by any of his comics, it may result in his being booted from Keenspot. This will dishonor his family, which he can only restore by taking his own life with a sword.
--------------------------------------------
Sex & Violence * Joe Average
Aaron M. Holm, esquire
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

A new leaf, evidently

Postby Hiraethin on Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:10 am

Aaron, glad to see you have renewed yourself. I was, I admit, surprised to find new material when I checked your site today; but pleasantly surprised. JA is a comic I enjoy a great deal and hope to continue reading for a long time to come.
Hiraethin
Junior Keenspotter

Good to see you back

Postby Lendorien on Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:46 pm

Hi. You may not remember me. I was fairly active on this board before JA went into Hiatus

Aaron, it's good to see you back and making such an affirmation. I think it's something that once achieved really will bring with it it's own rewards.

Joe Average has long been one of my favorite webcomics. I was sorry to see it go into Hiatus a while back.

I've kept track of your comics over the past year+. I was glad to see you back with us again. Now I'll be able to get my JA fix again! YAY! Needless to say, I'll start keeping track of the forum again.

Here's to you!
Lendorien
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Joe Average