a little fix to smarchive.

Better than a bag full of severed heads, especially if the bag leaks.

Moderator: Eight

a little fix to smarchive.

Postby Eight on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:20 am

I was reading through RW1 when I realized that the leap year code I had thrown in didn't actually work.

the problem has been solved by completely fucking removing leapyear detection functions so you can post comics on february 30th for all I care, at least it will WORK. http://www.roadwaffles.com/archive-rw.php?c=2000-2-29 <- I can't imagine how long this strip since its original run has been omitted carelessly by a simple flaw in the code which just had to section off the specific month of february to check the year before it decided how many days to check for.

February now has 30 days according to smarchive, deal with it.
In fact, it's better this way. It means it works.
he lives in a box in the alley..
Eight
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: a little fix to smarchive.

Postby Eight on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:42 am

and, seriously.

4 kilobytes... handles entire date-formatted archives.. load times under a fraction of a second.
You can't really beat that. I'm saving KeenSpot a thousandfold on loadtimes, but I don't think anyone really ever picked up on smarchive.

it's:
- quick, and easy. it looks for the next date and displays the first thing it finds. easily configurable 'first' button.
- handles both gif and jpg formats, though with modifications could accept more file types.
it looks for a gif first, and if it finds a gif then it doesn't need to look for a jpg. in the case of RW, some strips were in color, jpg, so it can find and display those no problem.

This is the first time I have ever found a bug in smarchive, though I do recall a while back that specific feb.29th strip being bypassed... the problem is now considered 'fixed' because if you want to pretend february 30th exists then you can release a strip for it for all I care ... but for now the small section that handled february was removed and it is now treated like a 30-day month and the script behaves properly.

For anyone who actually uses PHP or smarchive for their webcomics archives, I salute you and thanks for choosing an extremely efficient, low-bandwidth archive system.
Eight
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: a little fix to smarchive.

Postby Eight on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:14 pm

** fix 2 - smarchive also now PROPERLY handles an alternate file type, which typically errored a bit and that one full-color page of Bruno fighting in space was omitted from RW's archives due to this. It has been corrected. **
Eight
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Eightland