What did ever happen to RW?

Better than a bag full of severed heads, especially if the bag leaks.

Moderator: Eight

What did ever happen to RW?

Postby Oesman on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:36 am

I haven't been a member of this forum earlier, but I have been reading RW since a couple of years back. RW4 was announced some time ago, and I can't describe how overjoyed I was when I saw it, but nothing have happened ever since. Is Eight taking a long brake or is the comic officially ended? Also, what does he mean with: "SORRY HIATUS BYE - you don't need to come back again"?
Oesman
Junior Keenspotter

Re: What did ever happen to RW?

Postby AwakeAndAlive1 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:34 am

Eight, like most webcartoonists, is a huge flake. He picks up and drops project like a child does shiny things. Sometimes he puts them in his mouth and chokes on them, sometimes he shoves them up his nose. Really, it's the most appropriate simile I've ever encountered.

I was a big fan back during the first iteration. My guess is, he went the way of so many other webcartoonists (who don't have a boss looking over their shoulders, making sure they actually do their work and finish their stories): he gave into sloth or insecurity and said "Screw you, fans!"
"It is for exactly this reason that I detest forums of all kinds. They bring human nature into such stark relief that it can be difficult to bear.
AwakeAndAlive1
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Transhumanist things.

Postby Thy Brilliance on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Well that's not very nice.

I'm sure he's moved on to better things.
SwimmingTrunks's Comic: Antagonist | Save Internet Radio
Laura's website: Seraph Child | Help Fight Hate
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby AwakeAndAlive1 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:12 pm

I used to think that sort of thing too, until 75% of my favorite webcomics were abandoned by artists who went on to do things like data-entry or telemarketing because they'd blown on beer and pot all the money their fans donated.

And given how many times Eight abandoned and rebooted "Road Waffles"...
"It is for exactly this reason that I detest forums of all kinds. They bring human nature into such stark relief that it can be difficult to bear.
AwakeAndAlive1
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby vden on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:37 am

What? A whole seventy five per cent? I'd expect it to be more.

Yeah, not having and ending sucks but you have to remember that most webcomics are hobbies, not jobs. They don't put food on the table or hot water in the bath. No need to go all RPGW.
WARNING: Reading this sig is proven to cure certain forms of cancer.

Like so many wanabe artists, I have a link in my sig to DA
And one to my crappy webcomic too.
vden
Keenspot Despot

Postby Oesman on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:12 am

Kinda sad really, among all books, movies, cartoons or games I have ever seen, none of them caught my attention and made me want to continue reading much as RW did. This even though it was hard to actually understand what happened from time to time. I guess that when the dude dies in the beginning of RW2 he ends up in a fucked up parallel universe.... or something. And for RW3, man if I was pissed when he killed Jen even if it was made like a set-up all the way from the beginning. In the endinging in RW3, well, it involved some random new characters, it slowly changed over to some kind of Final Fantasy - like world (minus the magic) into what would be RW4. Well well.
Oesman
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bunnyThor on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 am

vden wrote:Yeah, not having and ending sucks but you have to remember that most webcomics are hobbies, not jobs. They don't put food on the table or hot water in the bath.

This, of course, means that they are not doing it right.

Currently, there are *plenty* of webcomic artists making a living off of what they do: Abrams, Kurtz, Gallagher, Campos, Jacques, Tayler, and that's just off the top of my head. I know I'm missing a few big ones. Howard Tayler actually gave up a job paying 6-digits to be a full-time webcomic artist.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby vden on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:34 am

Plenty do. Most don't. I stand by my earlier statement that most webcomics are hobbies. :roll:
WARNING: Reading this sig is proven to cure certain forms of cancer.

Like so many wanabe artists, I have a link in my sig to DA
And one to my crappy webcomic too.
vden
Keenspot Despot

Postby Thy Brilliance on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 am

Maybe... less than 100 people at best can seriously claim to make a living off webcomics thor.

Out of the tens of thousands of the webcomics.
SwimmingTrunks's Comic: Antagonist | Save Internet Radio
Laura's website: Seraph Child | Help Fight Hate
Thy Brilliance
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Eightland