Chris' Mom

The webcomic that hates you secretly, and for good reason.

Moderator: Chris Crosby

Postby Dave Kelly on Sat May 13, 2000 10:55 am

Terri's cool.
You've got a cool mom, Chris.
Happy Mother's Day, Chris' Mom!
Dave Kelly
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: I don't think you understand. When I said I know a guy I meant he's a guy that... who cares assho.

Postby Dave Kelly on Fri Jun 09, 2000 6:06 am

I think she has a great taste in movies.
And her coloring is great!<P>
Dave Kelly
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: I don't think you understand. When I said I know a guy I meant he's a guy that... who cares assho.

Postby Teri Crosby on Fri Jun 09, 2000 8:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Kelly:
<B>Terri's cool.
You've got a cool mom, Chris.
Happy Mother's Day, Chris' Mom!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I just saw your post. I don't read the message boards often, as you can tell. Thanks, Dave, for the great words. I really appreciate being appreciated.
Teri Crosby
KeenMom

Postby Teri Crosby on Thu Jun 22, 2000 8:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Kelly:
<B>I think she has a great taste in movies.
And her coloring is great!<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow! Now I know at least two people have read my movie reviews. Thanks for the compliments.<P>
Teri Crosby
KeenMom

Postby Sleepy Jim on Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:26 am

Gasp! You didn't like Fight Club?
Gasp! Neither did Chris?<P>What has this world come to? My fragile grip on reality is being twisted and ripped apart....<P>Fight Club is the GREATEST movie ever. And I stand by that. Just as I stand by the Beatles are the GREATEST band ever. Anyone who disagrees with me has a different opinion than I do.<P>------------------
Aaron Farber
Writer and Cartoonist of Pentasmal
http://www.pentasmal.com
Sleepy Jim
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dave Kelly on Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:33 am

Aaron I disagree with you! My opinions are the SAME! Heh... try to think about that for a while without having your head explode.
Dave Kelly
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby TheBlackCupid on Thu Jul 13, 2000 2:43 am

Bah! Fight Club was a brilliant multi-layered piece of cinema! Fincher was brilliant! Norton was sensational! Pitt was even pretty good! Sleepy Jim is correct! In all things, possibly excluding everything else but this one, Sleepy Jim is correct!<P>------------------
-TheBlackCupid
He's past 900, folks...
TheBlackCupid
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chris Crosby on Thu Jul 13, 2000 5:45 am

FIGHT CLUB was dumb, slow, and full of unlikable characters, therefore ruling it out of my list of the best movies ever made. The BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy is the best movie ever made. BEAN is the best movie comedy ever.<P>I wouldn't disagree with Aaron about The Beatles, though.<P>------------------
Your Pal,
<B>Chris Crosby</B>
Keenspot Entertainment
<A HREF="http://www.keenspot.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.keenspot.com</A>
Superosity
<A HREF="http://www.superosity.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.superosity.com</A>
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby J. on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:35 am

Just felt like dragging up another old thread.

Also, I just brought Abbey Road today (the album).
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby RevSam on Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:45 am

Chris Crosby wrote:BEAN is the best movie comedy ever.
r u serious
RevSam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chris Crosby on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:33 pm

Totally serious, although it is tied with IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby SBernard81 on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:25 pm

Sometimes Chris' opinions hurt my brain, but then again I'm sure my opinions hurt other people's brains and around and around it goes. At least you can't fault Chris Crosby for having unoriginal opinions.

Fight Club was pretty neat, although once you read a few of Chuck Palahniuk's novels he starts wearing down on you. It hasn't been my experience that modern society is quite as messed up as that guy tends to paint it, although maybe I'm just too nerdy to find the seedy underbelly of modern America. Who knows?

The best movie ever is hard to name (although I'd kill my own family before I'd name the Back to the Future trilogy the victor), although best comedy is much easier.

The best comedy movie ever is The Big Lebowski, hands down.

Bean sucked, even people who enjoyed Mr. Bean before that abomination (not me) shouldn't like that bullcrap movie. Then again, I'm not a slapstick person.
SBernard81
Keenspot Despot

Postby J. on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:07 pm

Fight Club was pretty lame.

SBernard81 wrote:The best comedy movie ever is The Big Lebowski, hands down.

YES

But Bean had its moments.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby Snidely on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:46 am

Bean sucked, even people who enjoyed Mr. Bean before that abomination (not me) shouldn't like that bullcrap movie. Then again, I'm not a slapstick person.

I could never stand Mr.Bean. I'm a big fan of the Blackadder series. It was hard to see Rowan Atkinson play a retard after watching all the Blackadders.
Snidely
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Snidely on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:47 am

I could never stand Mr.Bean. I'm a big fan of the Blackadder series. It was hard to see Rowan Atkinson play a retard after watching all the Blackadders.
Snidely
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SBernard81 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:48 am

J. wrote:YES

There is not even a second place. No comedy film in the history of mankind deserves to bask in the Dude's magnificent presence. Think of the most classic comedy film you can think of, something by Monty Python even, and it isn't as good as The Big Lebowski, and doesn't hold up as well upon multiple viewings.

The Coen Brothers WIN.

As for Bean, now that I think back on it a little more, it wasn't all that terrible. My harsh words were merely a knee-jerk reaction to the implication that this mediocre film was the best comedy ever. That, and who doesn't love to use the Inter Net to be a Spineless Douche Turd (TM)?
SBernard81
Keenspot Despot

Postby J. on Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:18 am

Hmmm... I can think of some comedies that come close...

1 Young Einstein
2 Space Balls

...okay, I'm out.

Back to BEAN. A quick scan of imdb reviews shows a lot of people liked Mr. Bean in thirty-minute sketches, but found he didn't translate well to the big screen.

However, this guy has a different opinion:

Brilliant mockery of american ignorance and "culture", 13 January 2002
10/10
Author: Relaxed from Sweden

The film works on two levels - simple gags for teenage audience on one hand, and a hilarious satire of the US on the other. Having this in mind while watching the film, helps to appreciate all its real humour. It is quite understandable that americal critics did not praise it. For European audience it will be a real classic.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby effovex on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:16 am

So an European elitist is giving 10 stars to Mr. Bean because it mocks "american ignorance and 'culture'"?

I mean I'm all for US bashing but you need to have your head seriously up your ass to confuse that with art. Or even comedy.
Poison is an acquired taste.
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby SBernard81 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:22 pm

I'm going to go ahead and admit that I really don't see the humor in most Mel Brooks films. Spaceballs, while listed as a classic by basically everyone in existence, just never did anything for me. Ah well.

As for the bizarre Bean review, I fail to understand how a story about an apparently mentally-challenged British man coming to America and screwing things up for everyone is a mockery of American ignorance and "culture," as he puts it.

Why is culture in quotation marks? Is he implying that we have no culture? Why yes, I'd certainly agree with him, our culture is worthless and has made no significant contributions to humanity. It is not as if he is reviewing movies over the internet, two things spawned from American culture (of course, whether or not the internet is actually something to be proud of is up for debate).
SBernard81
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chris Crosby on Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:48 pm

The "Mr. Bean" skits were all right, but for some reason the BEAN movie struck me as a classic. I judge a comedy mostly by how much I laugh during it, and I was laughing constantly during BEAN (and not because of slapstick, mostly because of dialogue). Even the end credits crack me up, and they're just clips from the film with a really cheesy song playing over it.

I can't explain exactly why, but I took the BEAN film as being a satire of a bad '80s movie. It was just wonderfully stupid, and subtle in an insane sort of way, I thought.

LEBOWSKI was great, obviously, but it didn't have me laughing nearly as much as BEAN. I did watch it twice the first day I saw it, though.

And yes, I also believe YOUNG EINSTEIN and SPACEBALLS are both classics. SPACEBALLS was my favorite movie when I was 9. I thought it was an improvement on STAR WARS.

Anybody get the new SPACEBALLS DVD? There's some funny stuff on there, especially the original theatrical teaser for the film. It was just insanely, wonderfully retarded. I can't describe it, you gotta see it.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby J. on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:55 pm

J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chris Crosby on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:29 pm

AWESOME.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby SBernard81 on Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:25 am

lolwtfomg
SBernard81
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sitdown on Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:41 pm

Chris's TV Tip wrote:AMERICAN DAD
Officially better than FAMILY GUY.
(9:30pm, Fox)

You've got to be kidding.
Dro wrote:OK, Sitdown. You can no longer be my nemesis.
Sitdown
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chris Crosby on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:00 pm

The highly cinematic sequence in last week's episode where the repair guy finds Roger's golden poop, kills his best friend to keep the riches for himself and his fiance, and then finds out his fiance is cheating on him (ending with a dramatic "TO BE CONTINUED..." before returning to the normal episode in progress) did it for me.

Better than FAMILY GUY.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Next

Return to Superosity