Obscure Superosity Appreciation Thread

The webcomic that hates you secretly, and for good reason.

Moderator: Chris Crosby

Obscure Superosity Appreciation Thread

Postby J. on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:10 am

I've noticed that there are 3,000+ comics in the Superosity archive, and looking through the back catalogue can be extremely entertaining as I find I semi-forget past glories. I propose that this thread be used to voice approval for forgotten gems in the vault.

I'll go first: http://www.superosity.com/d/20020419.html
J.
Keenspot Despot

Re: Obscure Superosity Appreciation Thread

Postby Ringading on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:07 pm

That's one of my favourites!

http://www.superosity.com/d/20021223.html is one that I actually had forgotten about. Look at that crazy expression of surprise. What a silly guy.

http://www.superosity.com/d/20010810.html too.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dezro on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:41 pm

Superosity really needs to get Oh No Robot because there is just way too much there to try and search manually for a specific comic.
Where did that come from?
Dezro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chris Crosby on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:05 am

If I install Ohnorobot will you guys actually transcribe thousands of strips?

If so I'll strongly consider it.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby J. on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:32 pm

I'd definitely do quite a few.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dezro on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 pm

If you don't think we're up to it, you can pay thereabouts of $70 to have it done by the folks at Amazon Mechanical Turk for like 2¢ a strip.

But yeh, if next time I dive through the archives I see that "Transcribe This" button I'll give a clicky.
Dezro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Arantor on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:05 pm

I'd definitely consider adding it to my own search engine effort - WordOwl - if you're interested.

The only difference is I'm just one person doing it by myself, but the search facilities are more powerful, IMO. (But then I would say that, I'm the developer.)
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dezro on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:17 pm

Also, Chris, if $70 is too much you can fund it entirely by selling quality decals of Alan's Famous Indian Screaming Lizard.
Dezro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ringading on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:07 am

I too would help transcribe. I don't even have any girlfriends anymore, so I have plenty of time to fill while trying to avoid my wife.

Mr. WordOwl, you do all the transcriptions for all of those webcomics by yourself for free? That's insane.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby Arantor on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:26 am

Ringading wrote:Mr. WordOwl, you do all the transcriptions for all of those webcomics by yourself for free? That's insane.

Yeah, I'm probably nuts. But it's better than spending money on a game I'm only going to play a few times. This way I get to read comics and have a blast doing it ('cos I'm a geek an' all.)

I'd love to make money out of it, but I just can't figure out how to make money from it. (Oh No Robot is actually meant to be a business venture in the long term, by the way, at least that's what T Campbell said in 2006 shortly after it went live, but it has a whole lot of issues right now, like the fact that all the figures it has are ambiguous.) And right now I'm unemployed so I have plenty of free time. This seems at least a reasonable use of my time when I'm not job-hunting.

One of the long-term ideas is to offer branded search facilities, where the search can be integrated into the comic itself, seamlessly part of the comic, not just getting the right logo and colours, but that's just an idea, although it's something I could consider charging for.
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chris Crosby on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Arantor wrote:I'd definitely consider adding it to my own search engine effort - WordOwl - if you're interested.

Sure, why not? Sounds delightful.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby RevSam on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:44 am

i will help in any way i can for this mission
RevSam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MrLeffel on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:20 pm

yay!

also: fear.
MrLeffel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Arantor on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:47 am

I'd love some help on the subject, however the problem I have is this: WordOwl has a very strict database. While it is very strict to people who aren't used to working with it, it does mean that I can build very precise search functionality.

Let me demonstrate the first strip from Superosity in WordOwl's XML format, and maybe you'll see why as much as I'd love help, it will be a pain for anyone other than me to work on it: (NB. the 'bestfriend' tag will link into another part of the database concerning story arcs)

Code: Select all
<strip id="strip1">
  <url>http://www.superosity.com/d/19990301.html</url>
  <date>1999-03-01</date>
  <authors>
    <author>Chris Crosby</author>
  </authors>
  <tags>
    <tag>bestfriend</tag>
  </tags>
  <panels>
    <panel>
      <text type="spoken" speaker="Chris">Barton, are you my best friend?</text>
      <text type="spoken" speaker="Barton">Me? The only reason I even hang around here is because you pay half the rent.</text>
    </panel>
    <panel>
      <text type="spoken" speaker="Chris">But you don't live here. You live in the apartment down the hall from here.</text>
    </panel>
    <panel>
      <text type="spoken" speaker="Barton">Oh, yeah. I hang around you because you're independently wealthy, you don't believe in banks, and you have a short attention span.</text>
    </panel>
    <panel>
      <text type="spoken" speaker="Chris">Huh? I forgot what we were talking about.</text>
    </panel>
  </panels>
</strip>

I don't type all that out every strip, of course. I have a custom spreadsheet in OpenOffice with some nifty macros to work on it for me.

As for starting on it, I have said in WordOwl's blog that I wanted to finish up Angst Tech and Melonpool transcriptions before I move onto Superosity; towards the end of last week I was moving at 100 per day which would mean I'd be able to start on this in a couple of weeks. In reality what I'll probably do is start on these before I actually finally finish Melonpool and Angst Tech, so that I get maybe 100 transcriptions done, then add it to the site. (That's another difference around my database structure, it's optimised for bulk updates rather than one at a time, even when I do a day's worth of transcriptions I transcribe all of that day's, then upload all of them at once. Only on Sundays, at the moment, do I only add a single strip as part of the daily updates)
Arantor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby J. on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Bah! This thread didn't work out how I wanted! But perhaps I have only myself to blame for not communicating the idea as well as I could.

Instructions:

Go to the Superosity Archives until you find a strip you had completely forgotten about

Post it here for us all to admire

Optional: Meet Corey Feldman
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby RevSam on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:50 am

RevSam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Redunzel on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Redunzel
Keenspotter Supreme