Fantasy and Reality in Alice's world

The amazing adventures of an ordinary girl. And her friend.

Moderator: MichaelMF

Fantasy and Reality in Alice's world

Postby CGally on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:19 am

I had discovered this comic a couple weeks ago, and I took that time to read through the entire archives from end to beginning (yes I read backwards, and you can imagine the effect it had on the stories. It was still enjoyable though).

Anyway, I noticed that in the earliest stories, Alice's imagination is clearly separate from reality, in that she is shown to be daydreaming before and after, or is otherwise shaken from her daydream in the real world. In the later stories, though, Alice seems to step in and out of a fantasy world as though it were real, as though she were actually traveling from one place to another, and not just pretending it. I like that style of storytelling better.

It reminds me of the plots to a few books when I was a kid, which involved characters actually going from one world to another. It's neat.

Was this intentional, to make Alice's fantasies more "real" for her? Either way, I like it. :D
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Postby mobilene on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:19 am

I, too, have just joined the fantasy in progress (am up to 8/2/2000) and am enjoying it immensely! Great characters -- I love character-driven strips, especially when they're drawn with such care.

jim
mobilene
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CGally on Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:01 am

Are you also reading the strip backwards from end to beginning like I did? Or forwards?
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Fantasy and Reality in Alice's world

Postby MichaelMF on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:57 pm

CGally wrote:I had discovered this comic a couple weeks ago, and I took that time to read through the entire archives from end to beginning (yes I read backwards, and you can imagine the effect it had on the stories. It was still enjoyable though).

Welcome! Backwards, forwards, sideways, any way you want to read it is fine by me.

CGally wrote:Anyway, I noticed that in the earliest stories, Alice's imagination is clearly separate from reality, in that she is shown to be daydreaming before and after, or is otherwise shaken from her daydream in the real world. In the later stories, though, Alice seems to step in and out of a fantasy world as though it were real, as though she were actually traveling from one place to another, and not just pretending it. I like that style of storytelling better.

It reminds me of the plots to a few books when I was a kid, which involved characters actually going from one world to another. It's neat.

Was this intentional, to make Alice's fantasies more "real" for her? Either way, I like it. :D

Actually, the ambiguity regarding Alice's fantasy/reality started with the first L'il Miss Perfect story where Alice escapes the Closet Monster's realm by coming up under Dot's bed. So it's been around for awhile.

This wasn't a conscious decision. While I love Calvin and Hobbes my earliest influence was Peanuts. I think Alice's fantasies are more akin to Snoopy's rather than Calvin. Calvin's fantasies (for the most part) are clearly in his mind. Snoopy's are harder to nail down. In particular Calvin is always the hero in his fantasies, and he usually prevails. Snoopy, while he is Joe Cool, seldom comes out on top. He is shot down by the Red Baron, his novels are rejected, etc. Also the Peanuts gang often played along (or were part of Snoopy's imagination).

Alice takes this even further. I like the ambiguity. Is it all in Alice's head? Or Dot's (as seen in Joe England's fan strip)? Of course it's all fantasy coming from my head so the point is moot :lol:

Michael.
MichaelMF
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CGally on Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:18 pm

Thanks Michael for clearing it up. I like the ambiguity, although it could drive some people crazy trying to figure it out. It's not quite the same as Doug's imagination (from Nickeloeon's Doug), in which his friends did appear sometimes, though clearly only as his own vision of them. And every time it transferred over, it did that "swoosh" effect that many cartoons do to indicate a daydream. I like the style used in the comic, and can't wait to see where the "trapped in a video game" story heads.

Thanks for answering my e-mail as well!
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Postby TGIF on Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:12 am

The fact that when Alice's dad hit the reset the monster came back raises the question if somehow she isn't dreaming this time.

Then again, maybe she just imagined that her dad hit the reset...

TGIF
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CGally on Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:29 pm

Well, I like to think that she's actually *in* the game. Although realistically, her entire progress should be reset, actually. It would be interesting to see how her dad (or any other outside force) affects her world.

It does get murky when you try to piece it together. I like to imagine that Alice actually is crossing over to another world and back. The fact that her dad was unable to see Alice and yet affected her world by resetting her game, indicates that she's actually in it and not playing it.
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:56 pm

I think you're overanalyzing this.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CGally on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:34 pm

I probably am. I've been doing it since I was a kid. Is it real? Is it only the character's imagination? It's fun to pretend.
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Alice!