A large amount of bull

The amazing adventures of an ordinary girl. And her friend.

Moderator: MichaelMF

A large amount of bull

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:00 am

Nice outfit! What is "CATACOMB CREATURES"<sup>
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MichaelMF on Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:30 am

I made up Catacomb Creatures :)

Michael.
MichaelMF
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:58 pm

Fine, but I meant what kind of game is it? It looks like an RPG to me. A live-action one, but then, all games are live-action to Alice!
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MichaelMF on Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:26 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:Fine, but I meant what kind of game is it? It looks like an RPG to me. A live-action one, but then, all games are live-action to Alice!

Oh, I see. It's an action based RPG, not turn based.

Michael.
MichaelMF
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby boo_the_hamster on Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:55 am

This may seem like a silly question, but did have any particular inspiration for the gear? Based on color/pattern, it looks sort of like the Amazon armor from Diablo combined with the Requiem sword from Soul Calibur!

Also, wouldn't Alice be more comfortable in...um... armor designed for a boy?

*blush*

Only because that is some seriously... endowed... armor. Ok, that's enough on this topic.
Minsc will lead with BLADE and BOOT! Boo will
boo_the_hamster
Keenspot Despot

Postby MichaelMF on Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:47 pm

boo_the_hamster wrote:This may seem like a silly question, but did have any particular inspiration for the gear? Based on color/pattern, it looks sort of like the Amazon armor from Diablo combined with the Requiem sword from Soul Calibur!

Also, wouldn't Alice be more comfortable in...um... armor designed for a boy?

*blush*

Only because that is some seriously... endowed... armor. Ok, that's enough on this topic.

I just drew her armour with no one character in mind. Just a general mish mash of various games I've played over the years. The sword was based very loosely on Cloud's big ass sword in FF VII

Michael.
MichaelMF
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:31 am

boo_the_hamster wrote:Also, wouldn't Alice be more comfortable in...um... armor designed for a boy?

*blush*

All female armor is, by definition, seriously... endowed... regardless of the female wearing it. :roll:
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:18 pm

boo_the_hamster wrote:Only because that is some seriously... endowed... armor. Ok, that's enough on this topic.

If it's going to last her years and years, it'll have to be.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CGally on Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:38 pm

It always annoyed me how female armor exaggerated breast size while leaving the middriff open for attack. How on earth is that practical? I realize it's not supposed to be practical, so how is it even cute?

I think it's neat that this comic seems to be aware of that however, rather than ignore video game conventions. Maybe Alice should make some comment about the impracticality of her armor, to point it out to the reader.
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:57 pm

CGally wrote:It always annoyed me how female armor exaggerated breast size while leaving the middriff open for attack. How on earth is that practical? I realize it's not supposed to be practical, so how is it even cute?

I don't know about cute, but it sure does show off the talents of the local blacksmith.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CGally on Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:39 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:I don't know about cute, but it sure does show off the talents of the local blacksmith.

Yup, their inability to cover the entire torso. Somehow they always fail at that when making female armor. Why genders have a difference in armor is beyond me.
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Postby boo_the_hamster on Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:07 am

Perhaps you could make an argument based on comfort/weight. That is, typically, females are not as strong as males are, and leaving the midriff exposed could conceivably reduce the weight of the chestplate/backplate by as much as 1/3. The loss of protection is not proportional, because the shield is capable of defending the abdomen better than it can defend the shoulders and neck (which remain armored).

Er, not that it applies in this case, because she's got a two-handed sword, but still...

Its a similar argument to the design of infantry plate mail, which protects the thighs, but no the back legs or shins - after all, armor is very heavy and who is going to try and stab you in the shins, anyways?
boo_the_hamster
Keenspot Despot

Postby MichaelMF on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:44 pm

CGally wrote:Yup, their inability to cover the entire torso. Somehow they always fail at that when making female armor. Why genders have a difference in armor is beyond me.

Gather round children and listen to Grampa Michael and I'll tell you the tale of Red Sonja. Way back in the dark ages called "The Seventies" there was a woman warrior the equal of the barabarian called Conan (not the red headed giant of late night fame) who wore a bikini of tiny metal disks that protected little, including her modesty. The enigma that is female armour in pop culture is an ancient and mystical one.

('Course, Conan wore a dirty dish rag around his waist, so go figure. :-? )

Michael.
MichaelMF
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sebastian on Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:29 pm

boo_the_hamster wrote:Only because that is some seriously... endowed... armor. Ok, that's enough on this topic.

All Fantasy RPGs female armors came in a one-size-fit-them-all model.

A large size, usually :)

I think it have something to do with the Distraction Factor against male adversaries ;)
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby CGally on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:32 pm

MichaelMF wrote:('Course, Conan wore a dirty dish rag around his waist, so go figure. :-? )

Michael.

Ah, I remember Conan. I had an Atari game about him, and later encountered the Conan books in middle school. I guess if "endowed female armor" is offensive, so is Conan's.

However, the female armor thing became a cliche for female knights, while the "nothing but a dish rag" thing is used only on occasion by male barbarians (not male knights). So it's not quite the same!!

Only when male knights wear nothing but "shorts" armor, or female knights wear armor that actually covers the whole body, will there be true equality!!

:P
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CGally on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:41 pm

Oh yeah, apologizes if my posts sound harsh somehow. Tone of voice doesn't really come out well in writing. Let me put some :P :P :P :P :D :D :D :D s out there to clear it up. Admittedly the "armor that leaves the bellybutton exposed" cliche annoys me in real life, but I realize Alice is probably wearing it because it's such a well-known video game cliche, and fits the story. After all, Alice didn't dress like that when she was the dragon slayer in a previous story!

Also thanks for putting up with me! :P :lol: And keep up the good work! I'll definitely be reading this comic every week.
CGally
Junior Keenspotter

Postby boo_the_hamster on Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:29 pm

CGally wrote:However, the female armor thing became a cliche for female knights, while the "nothing but a dish rag" thing is used only on occasion by male barbarians (not male knights). So it's not quite the same!!

Only when male knights wear nothing but "shorts" armor, or female knights wear armor that actually covers the whole body, will there be true equality!!

:P

For what its worth, there has been a recent trend in fantasy art and literature to make for more 'realistic' (if that word applies to fantasy) characters, armor, and weapons for female characters.

That is to say, that while barbariennes are still dressing in dish-rags, female knights (who, historically, didn't exist anyways) are starting to suit up in steel.

Generally, the more literary the work, the less likely we are to see the girls dressed up like Xena. "Serious" fantasy has almost completely disavowed this, though the trashier stuff will always cater to its fanbase.

I mean, from an art perspective, a woman in armor can still be beautiful. After all, girls who kick ass are sexy!
boo_the_hamster
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:04 am

Have a look at Sarine in Errant Story for some kick ass armour.

Umm... Or not...
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Return to Alice!