Game Idea: Dawn of Worlds

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Game Idea: Dawn of Worlds

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:11 am

Afternoon all! I came across the 'Dawn of Worlds' game in the MSPA game forum earlier on today and thought it might be an interesting game for over here if anyone's interested in running it?

There's a ruleset here:

http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/rpg/Dawn_of_Worlds_game_1_0Final.pdf

But I guess it could be modified with an endgame clause if you want one, so it doesn't run indefinitely!

I know nothing really about this game at all, except it looked quite cool, so I'll just leave the idea here in case anyone fancies picking it up :)

EDIT: To clarify it's a ruleset for running a simple god-game. All you need is a hex grid and the outline of your landmasses (could be a circle if you're really lazy) and some players who want to be gods to come and start creating and smiting :)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Re: Game Idea: Dawn of Worlds

Postby Quarg on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 am

Synopsis: This is a World Building Game. Each player is a God and the game follows three time periods
1st Age - Editing the Map
2nd Age - Creating the Races
3rd Age - Having those Races deal with each other...

However, this is not fixed in stone. In the First Age it is easy to edit the map, but you can do so even in the last age, it just costs more.

The price to do anything is in terms of Power Points which you get 1-6 each turn. You can save up your points multiple turns to do expensive things like create races in the First Age...etc.

You also get a bonus (up to +3) for each round that you have less than five points...

The graphics would be shared editing, with each edit to the map being done to the collective image in Google Docs (using whatever online or physical computer editor you wished to use)

Each edit would be of a nominal size...

So does anyone want to play God?

I can start this whole game relatively easily, but I'd want to know if anyone was intrested in actually playing the game.
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
HP: 5/5
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 am

sure i'll play sounds like fun :D
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 am

Yeah I'll definitely play as long as someone else keeps on top of the ruleset :D

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nerre on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 am

I like this. we could do it by putting a shared SVG file (scaleable vector graphic) online, like Quarg suggested.
Would be nice if we could stick with SVG (maybe Inkscape?), since jpg, gif, etc. tend to corrupt with much editing and load-save steps, and they are limited by in size by a fix amount of pixels. In a SVG you could always go more into detail. :)

Is there a possibility to edit on the website or would we have to create an up- and download system?

I would prefer if we just add new files with more detail for each action, so we would have something like a history later?
Also it would be possible to vote against an action being to powerfull, like if some bore griefer announces "the whole continent sinks, everything drowns" as a catastrophe. Then we would just delete that file or further actions would base on an earlier file. According to the behaviour and ideas of some people in other games, i fear those people will only destroy and not build up anything.

Maybe it would only work with an GM balancing the actions. :/
Curse of the Gold:
MAP: Link to World Map
The New Goblin Warriors: Carves hide
HP:5/5 Def: 1 Location: G6 (warcamp)
Attack: Bow 8(9) (Marksman 6+, Coates +1)25% to miss // Short sword 4(5) (Short sword +2, Coates +1) // both: (1+ against any woodland creature)
Traits: Marksman 3, Hunter (Can create traps for small creatures, can do basic tracking, can skin animals. Gets a 1+ attack in dealing with any woodland creatures), Basic trainig with Coates, First aid, Deer gland 1/10 turns (partly washed of).
Inventory: Short Bow, Short Sword, Hunting dagger, 10 Arrows, Backpack, Hatchet, Flint, 30m Rope, Blanket, 5 Leather, 7 Meat, some Bones, 1 deer musk gland, 2 sinews, 1 set of stag antlers.

Slaves to the ring: Goron'Kar
HP:12/12 ATK: 2 DEF: 1
Abilities:
- Endurance (Passive) = he can defend himself while at 0 HP. Enemies must penetrate his defense to kill him.
- Shield Proficiency (Passive) = +1 Def when using a shield.
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 am

I think the catastrophes are limited in their scope no? Like you can send a plague to ravage a city, but you can't destroy the whole world. Since it requires a bunch of points to modify one grid space on the map anyway, I think we could assume that converting a whole continent to sea would be prohibitively expensive.

Also, I think you give folk here too little credit :) Gaming is fundamentally reward driven, and people play to have fun so if they can get away with doing ridiculous, violent things with few or no consequences, then they'll do it because it's funny. People are far less likely to jeapordise their place in a game if behaving stupidly is likely to end in their characters death and the players removal from the game because then it's not fun any more. If you add in the greater reward of actually winning a game you really like, then people will go to huge lengths to embrace the spirit of the game (which is what's so great about teh LSN / ECR etc. games - people really invest in them!). As long as there's a decent consequence-reward balance people should play 'properly'. And if not, the others will gang up on them and kick their ass.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nerre on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 am

thinkslogically wrote:I think the catastrophes are limited in their scope no? Like you can send a plague to ravage a city, but you can't destroy the whole world. Since it requires a bunch of points to modify one grid space on the map anyway, I think we could assume that converting a whole continent to sea would be prohibitively expensive.

Yes you are right, wasn't finished with reading the manual then. The area effects only about 1 inch of the map per action.
Curse of the Gold:
Attack: Bow 8(9) (Marksman 6+, Coates +1)25% to miss // Short sword 4(5) (Short sword +2, Coates +1) // both: (1+ against any woodland creature)
Traits: Marksman 3, Hunter (Can create traps for small creatures, can do basic tracking, can skin animals. Gets a 1+ attack in dealing with any woodland creatures), Basic trainig with Coates, First aid, Deer gland 1/10 turns (partly washed of).
Inventory: Short Bow, Short Sword, Hunting dagger, 10 Arrows, Backpack, Hatchet, Flint, 30m Rope, Blanket, 5 Leather, 7 Meat, some Bones, 1 deer musk gland, 2 sinews, 1 set of stag antlers.

Abilities:
- Endurance (Passive) = he can defend himself while at 0 HP. Enemies must penetrate his defense to kill him.
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby askstoomuch on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:05 am

:D the burn evreything down and kill anything that moves, is pretty much exclusive to my game since nobody owns bob or abby , they are more likly to do stupid things.
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nerre on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:09 am

I could host such a game if you want (but not on the weekend, only workdays, on those days i have enough time), then it would be like:

1) I post the world.
2) i post what you rolled this turn. your actions will take place in order of the highest role that turn.
what you roll will be added to your points according to the handbook.
you have to track your points yourself, i will, but if you post something for which you have to less points, you do nothing that turn.
3) you post me your actions and in which sector (will have to use a grid) they should take place. If something wont work or is to powerfull, i will tell you.
3) i change the map according to your actions and tell everybody what happend, and we start again from point 1. :)

so it would be a game in which the actions would be hidden until they realy take place.
what you thing about that concept?
Curse of the Gold:

Abilities:
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:14 am

Sounds good, I personally prefer the idea of a GM looking after the map rather than letting a load of players free to do whatever they want. That will cause arguments I think!

This is the game thread that's been started at MSPA if you want to see how they've started it off:

http://mspaforums.com/showthread.php?45055-Dawn-of-worlds

That one is using modded rules, but I think we could probably run a standard game first and see how it works first.

Also, the PM system here only lets you store 50 messages, so you'd run the risk of filling it up within a week. Not really an issue if you're on top of it, but something to bear in mind.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby ThroughTheWell on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 am

I'd be interested in playing. Inches might have to be converted into hexes for an online map to work well, and I'd wonder how big the start of the world should be... possibly related to the initial number of players, and possibly expandable too as some players might raise new land from the world sea.

As many actions as a player can pay for per day, 5 days a week, with in-game delays for anything that required a vote among all of the players the following day? Each player + the GM to keep track of their points? How would the 2d6 roll be kept honest, unless it came from the GM?
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Quarg on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 am

I was thinking of GMing the whole thing when reading it...

But I have no problem with Nerre running the game either...

My only concern is that I'm not sure how well having just the GM do the edits would work. I mean if you want to place a city in a given location or build a mountain only on part of the grid, how exactly do you state it so that the GM will do what you want...

Actually, if each player makes a 'rough' edit of the game board (or at least has the option) and then hands it to Nerre, who then uses them to make the offical changes, I think that would work. My good graphics programs are not on the computer I hook to the internet anymore which is why I decided not to try and run the game in the manner Nerre is mentioning.

And I think it is a 1d6 game

Walks the Night -Scryer

Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 am

I think the DM would need to control dice rolls and the map like a grand overseer... Otherwise, arguments.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Taberah on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 am

Sounds like a fun game. Quarg's idea of the players drawing a rough draft of what they want sounds like a good way to cut out the confusion.
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ThroughTheWell on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:58 am

I've been thinking about some of the age 1 costs. It seems slow. An average roll is 7, a max roll is 12, and max bonus is 3. But 1 hex of shaped land cost 3. That means a mountain chain is going to take turns. If you want a desert on one side, a jungle on another, and a river flowing from it, you are talking way more than the minimum 5 turns, and thus run the risk of being out voted on the age change before you've even really set up one tiny part of the world.

I'm okay with playing the base game, but I propose a -1 /hex cost reduction for single effect, contiguous shape land or shape climate, in Age 1. That I think would allow decent mountain chains, forest, rivers, hot, cold, snow, etc. So instead of creating a 3 hex chain of mountains for 9, you could create a 4 hex chain of mountains for 8, or instead of 5 for 15, 7 for 14 on a good roll. But if the player wants mountains in 2 different non-contiguous places, they'd either pay the full cost, or plan for 2 turns to get the bonus.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Taberah on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:10 am

Depends a lot on the scale of the map. One hex could be hundreds maybe even thousands of miles, I imagine that's one thing that changes with every game.
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nerre on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 am

Quarg wrote:I was thinking of GMing the whole thing when reading it...

My only concern is that I'm not sure how well having just the GM do the edits would work. I mean if you want to place a city in a given location or build a mountain only on part of the grid, how exactly do you state it so that the GM will do what you want...

Actually, if each player makes a 'rough' edit of the game board (or at least has the option) and then hands it to Nerre, who then uses them to make the offical changes, I think that would work. My good graphics programs are not on the computer I hook to the internet anymore which is why I decided not to try and run the game in the manner Nerre is mentioning.

you can run the first one if you want, i will run the next.

Its a 2d6 game by the way. :)
Curse of the Gold:

Abilities:
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Quarg on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 am

Nerre wrote:
Quarg wrote:I was thinking of GMing the whole thing when reading it...

you can run the first one if you want, i will run the next.

Its a 2d6 game by the way. :)

Hmm, Well I sort of like the idea of having a central edited map with rough edits by the players, I think it is the best initial approach to this game. I'd like your thoughts on that Nerre...

But I am also sure I shouldn't even try it with this computer at the moment. Which is why I think if your willing to do that You should run the first game.

ThroughTheWell wrote:I've been thinking about some of the age 1 costs. It seems slow. An average roll is 7, a max roll is 12, and max bonus is 3. But 1 hex of shaped land cost 3. That means a mountain chain is going to take turns. If you want a desert on one side, a jungle on another, and a river flowing from it, you are talking way more than the minimum 5 turns, and thus run the risk of being out voted on the age change before you've even really set up one tiny part of the world.

I'm okay with playing the base game, but I propose a -1 /hex cost reduction for single effect, contiguous shape land or shape climate, in Age 1. That I think would allow decent mountain chains, forest, rivers, hot, cold, snow, etc. So instead of creating a 3 hex chain of mountains for 9, you could create a 4 hex chain of mountains for 8, or instead of 5 for 15, 7 for 14 on a good roll. But if the player wants mountains in 2 different non-contiguous places, they'd either pay the full cost, or plan for 2 turns to get the bonus.

I bet this game was developed with the average 'grid size' being about 88 square inches maybe going up to 154 occasionally. I think the shown example game (on the other board) is what 20 by 20 at least or a 400 unit grid?

If the grid size is like the current example, I would agree that more points for the first age may be needed to keep the game moving. I would suggest another possibility would be a terraform only die in the first part of the game who's points could not be saved.

Or start off with a more 'terraformed' map than the example game.

Walks the Night -Scryer

Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby ThroughTheWell on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 am

I would suggest another possibility would be a terraform only die in the first part of the game who's points could not be saved.

Points are fungable, so your solution would allow a person to use all of their non-teraform-only points for something else, increasing non-teraform power as a side effect. Also you'd be giving 1-6 more points, randomly, where 2-3 quantitized is needed for any action. My proposal would result in effectively +6 points for a shape land on a max roll, or potentialy effectively +16 points for climate change on a max roll. I think mine is faster, with less record keeping, and rewards plans for grouped or chained areas. Who does not want to create a sweeping area of hot desert, or snowy tundra, quickly instead of over many turns.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LicentiousDey on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm in, I've always wanted to create a world like this. Perhaps I could be historian and make it sound all good and stuff? :P I think I can be a player as well as historian, so it doesn't matter if I tell you does it?

Quarg wrote:My only concern is that I'm not sure how well having just the GM do the edits would work. I mean if you want to place a city in a given location or build a mountain only on part of the grid, how exactly do you state it so that the GM will do what you want...

People can use Paint or Photoshop to circle the area they want the city/landmass/whatever. There's a tutorial on using gimp buried somwhere in these forums so people could use that.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Taberah on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 pm

LicentiousDey wrote:People can use Paint or Photoshop to circle the area they want the city/landmass/whatever. There's a tutorial on using gimp buried somwhere in these forums so people could use that.

Thread here

Man I miss Ratha. His Goblin Defence game was one of my favorite games. I would have to say at least top 3. Too bad it never got finished.
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nerre on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Quarg wrote:Hmm, Well I sort of like the idea of having a central edited map with rough edits by the players, I think it is the best initial approach to this game. I'd like your thoughts on that Nerre...

Sounds good and is better than the GM doing everything. :)

Quarg wrote:But I am also sure I shouldn't even try it with this computer at the moment. Which is why I think if your willing to do that You should run the first game.

Ok, than i will GM the first one as the ubergod. Thats how i work => :sleep: :rootbeer: :lol:
I think 5 gods is a good start to keep it balanced.

So please:
SIGN IN!

<Thread incoming>
Curse of the Gold:

Abilities:
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ThroughTheWell on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm

I still want to play. I'd like clarification on my proposed age 1 shape land bonus, before we start play.

For reference, I found a complete game. http://nationgame.forum-motion.com/t54-dawn-of-worlds-i I note the bad behaviour of some players, and some odd too large accumulation of points by other players IMHO. Also it seemed to me like other rules were either broken (how many armies did you raise this turn?), or at a minimum people did not clearly show the point cost of all of their actions per turn. I'd like to avoid the latter in our game. They also played with shape land costing only 1!
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nerre on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 pm

I will stick to the manual. dicing = points, then buy things for your points in order of the dicing results. also take a look at the manual about "bonus points if below 4 points".

The world is small enough to be filled in a few turns with 5 players.
Better hurry to sign in, only 1 slot left.
Curse of the Gold:

Abilities:
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Goblins Games