Escape! (Everyone can play)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Escape! (Everyone can play)

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 am

Intro

Having inadvertently grossly offended the lord of a nearby settlement while participating in a diplomatic mission, you have been unceremoniously thrown into to the city labyrinth to face ‘trial’ according to some rather bizarre local customs. It turns out that this particular city was built above a sprawling expanse of natural tunnels and caverns, which were slowly added to over hundreds of years by some long-dead civilisation. There are no guards, no cells and no chains, but the dungeon is unfortunately populated by various hideous monstrosities and traps which are conveniently used to ‘judge’ the prisoners. There is however, a single exit somewhere. The belief held within the city is that only the innocent may pass through the maze – any deaths or maimings simply prove the prisoner’s guilt. Not that anyone ever goes into the dungeons to check up on them of course…

As you begin to come around, you become aware of a painfully large number of bruises covering your body and an extremely tender lump on your skull. It is completely dark, and you are having difficulty remembering who you are...

[Provide a Name, Sex, Race & Colour please]

TURN 1 ----->

------------------

How the Game Works
This is a game more or less in the style of the MSPAcomic, where one main character is controlled by the masses. Each turn you may suggest an action for the hero to take and I will use as many of them as I can. If there is ever a conflict (i.e. which direction to travel in), the majority vote wins. In the case of a tie, I'll take the suggestion that was offered first.

You can make any suggestions you want, but I won't allow the hero to be suicided through stupidity (except by unanimous vote).

There are some simple mechanics in play throughout the game, but you won't need to worry about keeping track of dozens of stats. The game is intended to be more story-driven than stats-driven so use that however you like.

Finally, this doesn't follow D&D mechanics / character traits / abilities - it won't be a billion miles away, but it's all completely made up by me so don't rely on other game systems to get you through this one :)

--------------

SPOILERS:So a new game, thought up on a whim. I have no particular plan for where this is going to end up and will allow you all to drive the story along as much as anything else. Everyone can play, and I'll choose actions based on funniness / consensus vote.

Updates will be whenever I have time to get one drawn. Apologies in advance for the artwork :)
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Re: Escape! (New Game)

Postby Nerre on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 am

I'm in! :)

Char biography will follow.

Just one question: Should we all be goblins? Or can we be anything?
Last edited by Nerre on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curse of the Gold:
MAP: Link to World Map
The New Goblin Warriors: Carves hide
HP:5/5 Def: 1 Location: G6 (warcamp)
Attack: Bow 8(9) (Marksman 6+, Coates +1)25% to miss // Short sword 4(5) (Short sword +2, Coates +1) // both: (1+ against any woodland creature)
Traits: Marksman 3, Hunter (Can create traps for small creatures, can do basic tracking, can skin animals. Gets a 1+ attack in dealing with any woodland creatures), Basic trainig with Coates, First aid, Deer gland 1/10 turns (partly washed of).
Inventory: Short Bow, Short Sword, Hunting dagger, 10 Arrows, Backpack, Hatchet, Flint, 30m Rope, Blanket, 5 Leather, 7 Meat, some Bones, 1 deer musk gland, 2 sinews, 1 set of stag antlers.

Slaves to the ring: Goron'Kar
HP:12/12 ATK: 2 DEF: 1
Abilities:
- Endurance (Passive) = he can defend himself while at 0 HP. Enemies must penetrate his defense to kill him.
- Shield Proficiency (Passive) = +1 Def when using a shield.
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 am

just to clarify - everyone's in if they want! This game only has one main character, so make your suggestions for who / what he/she is and we'll see if we can find some sort of concensus. And hopefully one that's easy to draw :lol:

EDIT: Sort of MSPA style.

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby narie666 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:10 am

SPOILERS:So, it's 1 character controlled by all, right? so should we decide together on char bio or just have Nerre think one up? since he was the first to reply?
narie666
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nikohl on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 am

Oh, its like Bob the Goblin? I like that :)
nikohl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nerre on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 am

Oh, i thought it would be more of a group thing. :/
Curse of the Gold:
Attack: Bow 8(9) (Marksman 6+, Coates +1)25% to miss // Short sword 4(5) (Short sword +2, Coates +1) // both: (1+ against any woodland creature)
Traits: Marksman 3, Hunter (Can create traps for small creatures, can do basic tracking, can skin animals. Gets a 1+ attack in dealing with any woodland creatures), Basic trainig with Coates, First aid, Deer gland 1/10 turns (partly washed of).
Inventory: Short Bow, Short Sword, Hunting dagger, 10 Arrows, Backpack, Hatchet, Flint, 30m Rope, Blanket, 5 Leather, 7 Meat, some Bones, 1 deer musk gland, 2 sinews, 1 set of stag antlers.

Abilities:
- Endurance (Passive) = he can defend himself while at 0 HP. Enemies must penetrate his defense to kill him.
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:16 am

Yeah - bit like Bob the Goblin, only a 1st person view and probably with less planning :)

You can be anything you want, though I reserve vetoing powers, and you can work together on a character or suggest loads of different ones (and vote) or leave it up to the dice to choose :) It's entirely up to you! Bear in mind that your race etc. will have some effect on your in-game abilities so choose wisely!

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:16 am

Ooh, your starting up a game similar to what Asks is doing? Interesting...

Anyways, your name is DAVE ENGLISH. You are an simple, ordinary, MALE HUMAN. You had a bunch of INTERESTS, but are currently suffering from a slight case of AMNESIA thanks to ONE TOO MANY HITS TO THE HEAD.

Anyways, you are TRAPPED in this LABYRINTH, and should probably look for A SOURCE OF LIGHT of some kind.

SPOILERS:You guys just make your own characters- Then Thinks can take little bits and thats of everyone's different character to create one character :D
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SilverMK2 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:20 am

thinkslogically wrote:[Provide a Name, Sex, Race & Colour please]

Provide a Name: You think I can remember my name at a time like this, and with this bang to the head I have apparently suffered? Check out the intro!
Sex: Yes please.
Race: Not with all these bruises... Maybe when I am feeling better.
Colour: Black and blue... did you not read the intro at all? Bloody hell! :D
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 am

Nerre wrote:Oh, i thought it would be more of a group thing. :/

I fancied doing more of a freestyle type of game for a change to see how it goes, so it's just the one character this time under group control.

Silver: Very funny :)

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby knucklekraken on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:22 am

Your name is ROY, and you are a MILD MANNERED MALE HALF-ORC. Your skin is GREENISH and your hair is BLACK and pulled back in a TOPKNOT. You are fond of BIG AXES and SPEECH PATTERNS that are as MISLEADING as they are AFFECTED.

It sure is DARK, but that might be because your EYES are CLOSED.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby narie666 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:27 am

I vote silver's bio, it made me laugh, so that's a winner in my book any day of the week.
narie666
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:33 am

m0rtimer wrote:You guys just make your own characters- Then Thinks can take little bits and thats of everyone's different character to create one character :D

Good shout, let's do this :)

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nerre on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 am

Iron light (FF4000), high priestress of Maglubiyet, female goblin.

Iron light has been a priestress of Maglubiyet for some years now at the temple of her hometown. High priests don't get send to warcamps like tellers, and they are the highest class of theurgist goblins have. She follows her god Maglubiyet zealously, which is also called Fiery-Eyes, Iron One, the Mighty One, the High Chieftain, and the Lord of Depths and Darkness. She is god of war and a great general, which is represented by the spells she grants her priests.

Iron has been send to the human town as part of a diplomatic delegation. But it seems there is no diplomacy for humans when it is about goblins. The dilomatic truce was broken, Iron was send down into the pitch black labyrinth "to show her innocence", without knowing of what she was acused. At the moment she doesn't even remember her own name, only that she can cast a few spells and neither has an armor nor a weapon. Maybe she will remember more about herself and the spells she knows later.
Now top priority for her is to get out, for which she has to use all her skills and brain.

I would let her start with:
- Light (illuminate your hand or the weapon you are carrying. Can be switched on and off without being a mayor action, just like a flashlight)
- Betray eyes (cast an illusion which cannot do damage or act on it's own. It does what it's caster thinks it should do. Only one illusion can be active at a time.)
- Fireball (2 dam, linear flight, castable every turn)
- Iron hide (+1 def for 3 turns, castable every 5 turns)

Spells which would fit to her and which she maybe would "remember", not learn, later:
- Fiery gaze (a ray of fire emits from her eyes, burning what it touches)
- Commando (grant allied fighters an attack bonus. You can't attack, only defend, while commanding.)
- Blind (make your Light spell so bright you blind everybody not covering his eyes, except yourself)
- Darkness (creates a bubble of darkness around yourself, moving with you, or at a location until you are too far away to keep the spell up. Doesn't effect its caster)

No weapons, only normal clothes for the start. It's unusual to create a caster without armor and weapons as a start, but i would like to have a game which is more about thinking, tactics and not another stupid "bash 'n smash kill everything" adventure. Killing only against beasts and as last option. This also fits to "The belief held within the city is that only the innocent may pass through the maze " which thingslocially wrote in the first topic. Maybe it is true? :D

What do you say about this idea? Anybody up to a more brainchallenging game? :D
Last edited by Nerre on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Curse of the Gold:

Abilities:
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:44 am

im in havent even read anything going to do that now :lol:
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 am

thinkslogically wrote:Yeah - bit like Bob the Goblin, only a 1st person view and probably with less planning :)

even less planed then my game :o :lol: good luck with that , not having anything planned at all makes running a game like 4 times as fun ( i never hosted a 'planned" game to compare but i'm from the internet so trust me :lol: )

oh and for a player

bob ( bob but then backwards)
the alcoholic goblin
Last edited by askstoomuch on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:03 am

I just fancied doing something more light hearted for a bit, and these sorts of games always make me laugh with the things people come up with. Hopefully I can make it fun for you guys too - looking forward to getting it started!

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 am

I'm also going to post this linkie right here. For no particular reason.

http://mspaforums.com/forumdisplay.php? ... Adventures

Seriously though, you might find some ideas in there. ;)
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 am

Yeah, I've been lurking in there for the last 3 days! What do you think brought this sudden new game on? :lol:

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nerre on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:29 am

I really should stop taking my time and making a creative and long bio, when most people only type down a oafishness-based two line-bio. :/
(if oafishness is the correct word, don't want to insult anybody. maybe "jacking around" is better?)

this is the third which maybe was for the birds...depressing. :grumble:
Curse of the Gold:

Abilities:
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ThroughTheWell on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:35 am

Name: Shuuk
Race: Troll, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troll.htm
Color: light greenish gray
Class: rogue
Stat difference from base troll: +4 dex, -3 str, -3 con, +2 int, +2 chr
Resulting stats: str 19, dex 18, con 19, int 8, wis 8, chr 8
Alignment: NE
Levels: monster 5, rogue 1.
Feats: TBD, although I like Negotiator and Stealthy.

Shuuk weasled his way into leadership being a hair smarter, more charismatic, and inclined to order than the average troll, and having the advantage of all his spying, only to get sent to the city on a diplomatic mission. There, still ugly and dumb by their standards he was dismissed and 'imprisoned'. He wants revenge, and he needs to warn the other trolls possibly bringing back a raiding party, but first he has to escape.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:30 am

Any more character suggestions? Will post the first update in a couple of hours.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Taberah on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 am

An old war veteran Brash Petmorn the Swift gained his position through a life-time of hard work and service to the king. In his younger days he wielded dagger and magic hand and hand to fight for his country and gained fame amongst his men for his skill and heroics. He doesn't remember much from last night, he may or may not of made some rude gestures at the queen. Maybe after his hangover wears off it'll come to the half-elf.
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby davecom3 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 am

EXAMINE self.
You are a strapping young lad of (INSERT AGE HERE).
Okay, you are a strapping young lad of 372. Your race is (INSERT RACE HERE)
The Kentucky Derby.
Okay, you are a strapping young lad of 372. Your race is The Kentucky Derby. Your sex is (INSERT SEX HERE) (Oh, no, you don't! This is a PG game!) (INSERT GENDER HERE)
Male
Okay, you are a strapping young lad of 372. Your race is The Kentucky Derby. Your sex is male. Your interests vary widely but you are most skilled in the area of (USE SKILL HERE)
Like I didn't use skill anywhere else, eh? Well, skilled in lockpicking I guess?
Okay, you are a strapping young lad of 372. Your race is The Kentucky Derby. Your sex is male. Your interests vary widely but you are most skilled in the area of lockpicking. Your skin color is (INSERT SKIN HERE)
Okay, this game is just gettting creepy. Why would it ask me to insert my skin, in any case? I think I'll send it somebody else's instead. (inserted cat)
Okay, you are a strapping young lad of 372. Your race is The Kentucky Derby. Your sex is male. Your interests vary widely but you are most skilled in the area of lockpicking. Your skin color is qav i ph5 j;wp;we. It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Even more likely, because of making fun of this game for so long. We have not furnished you any light source this time around, so you will definitely be eaten by this grue. Goodbye.
davecom3
Keenspot Deity

Re: Escape! (Everyone can play)

Postby LicentiousDey on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 am

Hmmm, an interesting Idea....

Edward Finklebottom
Human Male
White....?

Edward Finklebottom was never much of a fighter. He's a negotiator and ambassador. How will he ever survive in this dark dank dungeon of doom and alliteration? Who knows... All the politician knows is he MUST return to his people and warn them. Before it's too late!
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Goblins Games