Involving Lurkers...

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Involving Lurkers...

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:20 am

I've been wondering about different ways of allowing some form of lurker participation in the forum games and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I'm looking for some way of allowing a degree of participation at set points of the game (e.g. some kind of puzzle maybe?), which would provide a bonus to the players if successful but without being a crucial element of the game (since that would suck for the players).

Is this a stupid idea or do you think there's some way it could be made to work?
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Re: Involving Lurkers...

Postby SilverMK2 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 am

What about if the puzzle is to find the address of a new lurker every day, then go and lurk them!
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:26 am

Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 am

Well, I do have minecraft challenges prepared for my players when they go and visit one of the dungeon crawls. Original thought was that whilst anyone could play, only the players would be able to actually unlock items ingame. Though, part of me is now considering that even lurkers could help find some of the more fiendishly hidden items. Or cake

Though, I haven't had anyone take me up on the offer to playtest. *hint hint* *nudge nudge* :shifty:
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:33 am

m0rtimer wrote:Though, I haven't had anyone take me up on the offer to playtest. *hint hint* *nudge nudge* :shifty:
Because nobody wants to definitely not be in your game.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:35 am

Haragorn wrote:
m0rtimer wrote:Though, I haven't had anyone take me up on the offer to playtest. *hint hint* *nudge nudge* :shifty:
Because nobody wants to definitely not be in your game.

Nah, the offer changed. They actually get an advantage on getting in now.

I posted it in the game thread itself though, so it figures that not everone saw it, only those who actively lurk. I'd look it up if I weren't so lazy. (and busy. I should probably spend more time working on that assignment and less on typing this. Damnit now I'm doing it again.)

edit: damnit I passed 4000 posts without noticing it.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:44 am

:) I think I might have mentioned my feelings about minecraft to you before and how I ended up hiding in a hole in the ground, bricking it in case a monster appeared.

Thanks for the reminder about the Arena Crowd Haragorn, I'd forgotten about that... I'm not sure it would fit with the game I've got going just now though since there wont' be the same in-game crowds. I was wondering about somethign along the lines of a Tempts Fate type puzzle / scenario, but I don't think I'm smart enough to make up anything that wouldn't be solved immediately. I also wondered about lurkers being able to provide character buffs of some sort maybe, or provide some other kind of assistance, but it would be nice if it wasn't entirely passive so that they would feel like theyr'e actually participating.

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nerre on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 am

why let the lurkers only play to support the players? you could also let them play a group of adventurers or other opponents. That way they could join the play sometimes for a short period of time. I know it may be hard for a GM, if he wants to be nice to his players and not kill them and therefore splits the attackers, so that not all of them attack the same player, since the lurkers may choose to do so.
Curse of the Gold:
MAP: Link to World Map
The New Goblin Warriors: Carves hide
HP:5/5 Def: 1 Location: G6 (warcamp)
Attack: Bow 8(9) (Marksman 6+, Coates +1)25% to miss // Short sword 4(5) (Short sword +2, Coates +1) // both: (1+ against any woodland creature)
Traits: Marksman 3, Hunter (Can create traps for small creatures, can do basic tracking, can skin animals. Gets a 1+ attack in dealing with any woodland creatures), Basic trainig with Coates, First aid, Deer gland 1/10 turns (partly washed of).
Inventory: Short Bow, Short Sword, Hunting dagger, 10 Arrows, Backpack, Hatchet, Flint, 30m Rope, Blanket, 5 Leather, 7 Meat, some Bones, 1 deer musk gland, 2 sinews, 1 set of stag antlers.

Slaves to the ring: Goron'Kar
HP:12/12 ATK: 2 DEF: 1
Abilities:
- Endurance (Passive) = he can defend himself while at 0 HP. Enemies must penetrate his defense to kill him.
- Shield Proficiency (Passive) = +1 Def when using a shield.
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:22 am

that's a point and something I'd not thought of...

Hmmm... I could see how that might be able to work. Interesting!

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:45 am

Hmm. That could work for mindless monsters or NPC's that aren't going to come back anyways yeah. Nice idea!

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nerre on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 am

Curse of the Gold:
The New Goblin Warriors: Carves hide
HP:5/5 Def: 1 Location: G6 (warcamp)
Attack: Bow 8(9) (Marksman 6+, Coates +1)25% to miss // Short sword 4(5) (Short sword +2, Coates +1) // both: (1+ against any woodland creature)
Traits: Marksman 3, Hunter (Can create traps for small creatures, can do basic tracking, can skin animals. Gets a 1+ attack in dealing with any woodland creatures), Basic trainig with Coates, First aid, Deer gland 1/10 turns (partly washed of).
Inventory: Short Bow, Short Sword, Hunting dagger, 10 Arrows, Backpack, Hatchet, Flint, 30m Rope, Blanket, 5 Leather, 7 Meat, some Bones, 1 deer musk gland, 2 sinews, 1 set of stag antlers.

Slaves to the ring: Goron'Kar
HP:12/12 ATK: 2 DEF: 1
Abilities:
- Endurance (Passive) = he can defend himself while at 0 HP. Enemies must penetrate his defense to kill him.
- Shield Proficiency (Passive) = +1 Def when using a shield.
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby sonic3535 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Lurkers are great for things like voting and suggesting ideas... For instance, the Arena Crowd voted for items to be tossed from the crowd down to the players. Lurkers could vote for buffs, the actions of enemies... You could even have a character that is controlled by the crowd of lurkers as a whole. Though puzzles might not work, any interaction that has a random result could be decided by the crowd, too. NPC's would also likely be a ton of fun for lurkers to have temporary control over.
Hope some of these ideas are helpful! :)
sonic3535
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 pm

:D i could give the lurkers some extra options on my game but then who would lurk my game when evereybody can play
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:56 pm

I might have an idea for an game that could be played by anyone in the forums at any time, and is totally not stolen or anything.

Sadly, we would need somebody to do the work for it. Don't look at me, I allready run two games. :shifty:

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Goblins Games