Slaves to the Ring

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: Slaves to the Ring

Postby Haragorn on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm

You can suggest abilities and spells. I'd recommend working them into the backstory.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dusk9 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Ok, here's my character.
I couldn't find any ways to put details of what he can do into the backstory without it sounding forced, so I just put them at the bottom instead. You can make whatever changes you want to them.

Name: Zak
Race: Kobold
Color: #8AA8FF (eyes and I.M.E.); #4080FF (hair); #BCBCBC (skin)
Appearance: Light grey skin; wild, messy dark blue hair (sticks up a lot in all directions - think mad scientist hair, but shorter); glowing light blue eyes

Backstory: Since his hatching, Zak was considered an outcast within his own tribe. His extremely peculiar eye, skin and hair pigmentation (not to mention the existence of hair on a reptilian body in the first place) meant he was shunned by many. The tribe’s elders even questioned whether or not he belonged in the tribe at all, with the most common theory being that he was some magical experiment that combined Kobold and Construct, his egg being magically inserted into that years hatching group as a test of whether he could intergrate unnoticed - although, the lack of evidence meant that these rumours never became more than just wild theories.
Those who could see past his odd appearance quickly learnt to avoid him because of his dangerous personality, which is best described simply as ‘pure Chaotic Neutral’. He is quite literally a chaos-addicted ‘free spirit’, seemingly incapable of following rules and usually choosing instead to act on what he considers to be the most ‘interesting’ course of action, no matter how dangerous or unwise it may be.
Of course, as should be expected, in a lawful-evil society where working for the good of the tribe is considered important above all else, Zak’s chaotic antics were unwelcome - he was eventually exiled and forced to wander aimlessly, a pastime which in fact suited him well. Despite his risk taking nature, his exceptional luck, intelligence, agility and skill at law-breaking allowed him to steal enough from human towns and cities to survive quite comfortably - his limited magical abilities, that had developed early on and secretly been honed over his few short years in the tribe, helped immensely in this regard. However, his luck eventually ran out when he attempted to steal an unnecessarily large quantity of food and supplies from a slave convey; he was taken prisoner by the slavers and later sold on to the owners of the Ring.

Abilities:
Agility (Passive) - Bonuses to dodging and climbing (% chance to dodge attacks?, can scale particularly difficult-to-climb surfaces more easily than others?)

Magic:
Transmute (Active) - The transformation of one substance into another (no idea how this could work, can you decide the details so that it doesn’t end up being over/underpowered?)
Telekinesis (Active) - Moving objects from a distance (again, the details of how it works are entirely up to you)
Enchant (Active) - Enchant equipment with bonuses temporarily (bonus to Att for weapons and bonus to Def for armour/shields, stuff like that)
Limited Magical Ability (Passive) - Cannot learn spells from any discipline other than Sorcery (assuming Transmute amd Enchant are a Sorcery spells, if not I'll think of another drawback/new spells)

EDIT: Made some minor changes and added the Limited Magic disability
EDIT2: Added Enchant spell.
Last edited by Dusk9 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby Forztok on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Alright 2nd times a charm right?

Name: Tyssard
Color: #FF8000
Race: Minotaur Half-fiend

Backstory: Tyssard was born into a tribe of minotaur, he had an older "brother" and two "sisters". (They were fathered by the same male). He grew up being taught how to fight and protect himself. But like all young "men" he went off on his own at the age of .... While he was on his journey he came across a foe with which he had never faced before, a wizard (with adveturer levels :wink: ). He fought valiantly but was defeated and right before the finishing blow the wizard choose to knock him out instead. Finding some way to transport him (the method is unknown since he was unconcous) the wizard snuck him into the city. Where he did gross magical experiments, creating a beast, part minotaur, part lizard (the exact type is unreconizable), part demon/devil. The wizard released his creation to wreck havoc on the city, (exact reason is up to the GM to decide since I don't run this town). After a long drawn out battle the city guards with the help of some adventurers managed to subdue him. Taking him to the ring to fight, where he has been for the past 2 years. But he still awaits the day where he can escape and find the wizard that did this to him, and then possible return to the wilderness to live out his days in solitude.

Apperance: About 8 feet tall horns included, he has a fur orangish brown fur that covers most of his except his hands and tail. His hands have been turned into reptlian claws and his tail has taken on the shape of a reptile. He has two large black leathery wings which have been chained to prevent him from flying. And lastly he has two large curved black horns on his head, a combination of a minotaurs and pit fiends horns.

He prefers to fight with a large 2-handed battleaxe.

I'm thinking he might be a bit big for this game, if so I can make him a runt and only be about 6 1/2 ft.
Forztok
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Haragorn on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Forztok wrote:Alright 2nd times a charm right?

Name: Tyssard
Color: #FF8000
Race: Minotaur Half-fiend

Backstory: Tyssard was born into a tribe of minotaur, he had an older "brother" and two "sisters". (They were fathered by the same male). He grew up being taught how to fight and protect himself. But like all young "men" he went off on his own at the age of .... While he was on his journey he came across a foe with which he had never faced before, a wizard (with adveturer levels :wink: ). He fought valiantly but was defeated and right before the finishing blow the wizard choose to knock him out instead. Finding some way to transport him (the method is unknown since he was unconcous) the wizard snuck him into the city. Where he did gross magical experiments, creating a beast, part minotaur, part lizard (the exact type is unreconizable), part demon/devil. The wizard released his creation to wreck havoc on the city, (exact reason is up to the GM to decide since I don't run this town). After a long drawn out battle the city guards with the help of some adventurers managed to subdue him. Taking him to the ring to fight, where he has been for the past 2 years. But he still awaits the day where he can escape and find the wizard that did this to him, and then possible return to the wilderness to live out his days in solitude.

Apperance: About 8 feet tall horns included, he has a fur orangish brown fur that covers most of his except his hands and tail. His hands have been turned into reptlian claws and his tail has taken on the shape of a reptile. He has two large black leathery wings which have been chained to prevent him from flying. And lastly he has two large curved black horns on his head, a combination of a minotaurs and pit fiends horns.

He prefers to fight with a large 2-handed battleaxe.

I'm thinking he might be a bit big for this game, if so I can make him a runt and only be about 6 1/2 ft.
That doesn't really seem to fit. And I'm not talking about his height. A straight up minotaur would be fine, I suppose, but those alterations don't really make sense. Also, characters should try to be balanced. Stronger characters should have some big weaknesses. Also, minotaur are considered civilized by most other races, so a minotaur would probably not be fighting in the ring if he wasn't a criminal.

I was also hoping for mostly goblins. I'm fine with some other stuff, as long as it makes sense and isn't completely crazy.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Jacon wrote:Can I play a human?

Name: Tenel.
Race: human.
Backstory: Very little is known about the scarred human who calls himself Tenel. Tall with brown hair he hardly ever speaks to the point that some believe him to be mute. He choose's to speak with gestures as if speaking is actually painful for him. No one is sure if he's shy or just despises those around him. Whatever the case he is well known as a hand to hand fighter and swordsman. Capable of taking huge amounts of damage without saying word he's gained respect for his endurance. No one is sure how he got captured but he fights mercilessly against anyone in the ring.

I missed this earlier, but you need a color. Otherwise, you're good.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Edited character info into my first post. Still needs a name (help would be awesome), and the backround is *meh*, but I ain't great at that stuff anyway.
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 pm

I added some more info to the character section of the first post.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Silentobserver on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:12 am

Is my character idea all right, claiming energy drains and the sort? If not, I'll totally try to help fill the goblin numbers. :lol:
Also I imagine a rakshasa would be given bindings against their magic as well, whether or not they were the 'magic' kind of rakshasa, mainly due to humanoid ignorance :P Could include that alongside his ability 'drain'.
Last edited by Silentobserver on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clan Rampage
Splatters Gnomes – Walking Armory
HP: 3/5, Att: 4, Def: 4-6
Skills: Battle Tactics (Passive) - +1 Attack
Inventory: Pitchfork, Holey Cloak w/ Bell Clasp, Leather Armor, Leather Cap x2, Pear, Leather Helmet x2, Short Sword x2, Invisibility Potion, Wooden Shield, Broadsword
Silentobserver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dusk9 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:31 am

What about my guy. Is he ok?
I forgot to come up with any drawbacks, so, if you feel he needs any, feel free to add something you think would suit him.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby SilverMK2 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:26 am

My attempt:

Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9ROUamToE4s/TcRWzIVU_2I/AAAAAAAAGcM/wj3Ap_1TUOU/s1600/105.jpg

Name: Qaulluqtuq Taqalikitaaq
Race: Yeti
Height: 2.5m
Colour: Ice white/blue

Bio: Qau, as he might be called by those who cannot wrap their tongue around his true name, was captured in the icy wastes of the far north by a band of soldiers patrolling the frontier. Fighting for his life, he killed many men, but heavily injured he was subdued and captured, sold into captivity and transported for weeks inside a cage barely large enough to contain him, eventually ending up at The Ring.

Still barely recovered from the injuries inflicted during his capture, he is forced to fight for his life for the entertainment of the crowds, goaded by cruel jailers into a killing rage.

This once relatively peaceful creature seeths with hatred and desire to break free. Fighting with his bare hands he crushes and tears his opponents to pieces; his immense strength and size giving him the advantage against any opponents he can get close enough to (though his long arms means that he does not have to be as close as some have thought; to their cost).

He will ignore any injury if he believes that he can break free of arena, or the heavy chains he is kept in at night (potential drawback - limited night time activity?) and escape this terrible place and return to the icey wastes of the north.

Qau is a solitary creature, and does not relate well to others not of his race. He is especially hostile to humans, and those who look and even smell like humans (such as elves, dwarves, etc - the limited contact he has had with other creatures means that he finds it hard to distinguish between them). The lack of cold is also a factor for him, the sweltering heat (as far as he interprets it) slows him and makes him more prone to getting tired. It also slows his ability to regenerate damage. His size and bright ice white pelt also makes it hard for him to sneak around and operate delicate machinery.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dlover on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 am

It's tricky knowing if there are people making goblin characters or not. Only one person has confirmed they are using a goblin, but there may be more sending PMs, which we won't know about. Could we get a number of goblin characters to know if we need more or not?
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:41 am

I'll think up a backstory over the weekend for this. I was intending to make a non-goblin character of some sort, but by the sounds of things the game is becoming unbalanced with too few goblins... Haragorn do you want to make a decision on how many goblin / non-goblin PCs you will accept so we know what to make?
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby SilverMK2 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:45 am

thinkslogically wrote:I'll think up a backstory over the weekend for this. I was intending to make a non-goblin character of some sort, but by the sounds of things the game is becoming unbalanced with too few goblins... Haragorn do you want to make a decision on how many goblin / non-goblin PCs you will accept so we know what to make?

From reading the thread, there are apparently ~20+ players, with about 6 or so non goblin characters?
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dlover on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:55 am

So far. We don't know what quite a few people are going for.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 am

Aye, like Dlover said before we don't know if there are more PMs than we're seeing here... I don't mind too much either way, but will wait and see before I make a final choice :)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:45 am

well lets try this

Name: bob
Race: kobold color: greeen !!! the same as asks a lot in the clan
Backstory:

It all started a long long time ago when bb was just a kid
It was a sunny day when bob and some of his friends were invited to the fortune tellers hut
Sceptical at first, bob enter the room and imidealty the teller got a vision
Bob would grow up to be the best superhero of his people
Surprised with his new faith bob started training as hard as he could
The years passed and bob changed for the little kid to the big grown up he is today
and all that training made his stronger, faster ,better then anyone of his people before him. Yet he never found his real superpower
one day after protecting the village for quite some time under the name bob-man he decided to leave the village for a wile and find hes power
well He dindt find any cool magic tricks but he did found a bunch of humans he managed to knock out al lot of them but they were with too many and captured him and looked him up in the cell....

Well for the magic and extra things

Thats for you to decide haragorn :) but he needs a cool superpower, so its your call he is stronger faster en beter then any other kobold he have ever met :D and could kick kolbold ass yet non-kobold probably kick his ass
and his superhero name is bob-man
Last edited by askstoomuch on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:46 am

I am not sure yet, if I'm gonna play a goblin or something else. The lure of being able to play something different sure is strong. On the other hand, if the GM wanted mostly goblins, I have a hefty impulse to comply with that. ^^

@ Asks: If I understood correctly, in case you wanted to play a GOBLIN, you should have PMed that backstory to Haragorn, so I guess you're stuck with a kobold (or something else, other than goblin) now. ;)
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:53 am

well im fine with a kobold never played with those things :D

a superhero kobold called bob-man thats sound like fun
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby jrlans on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:09 am

askstoomuch wrote:but he needs a cool superpower, oh and he could easy take down anybody from his own rase

Easily take down anybody from his own race? Maybe a little too OP? Up to Haragon though
Clan Rampage
Gets Revenge
HP: 4/5
ATK: 1+2 (+1 Dagger, +1 Dagger)
DEF: 1+2 (+1 Leather Cap, +1 Leather Armour)
Inv: Empty Potion, Poisonous Mixture, Mug, Assortment of Useless Crap, Improvised Shield (+1 Def), Beer
Skill(s):[Backlash] - Gain +1 attack against any creature type that has previously damaged you.
jrlans
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby askstoomuch on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:12 am

yeah but hes a kobold so humans could simple kick his ass hes no superman or something just a bit better then your every kobold hence the whole im a superhero thing :D
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby jrlans on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:39 am

Oh that makes sense. You said "easily" take down anyone else, so I just assumed he was incredibly strong. My bad
Clan Rampage
Gets Revenge
HP: 4/5
ATK: 1+2 (+1 Dagger, +1 Dagger)
DEF: 1+2 (+1 Leather Cap, +1 Leather Armour)
Inv: Empty Potion, Poisonous Mixture, Mug, Assortment of Useless Crap, Improvised Shield (+1 Def), Beer
Skill(s):[Backlash] - Gain +1 attack against any creature type that has previously damaged you.
jrlans
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ThroughTheWell on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:42 am

I have submitted a nongoblin by PM.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby askstoomuch on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:49 am

so what are you

we got 2 kobolds
a yeti (wait is it a yeti or an yeti)
a human
a shapeshifter
and a bunch of goblins
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ziprath on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:54 am

Just sent a PM.
The New Goblin Warriors
Scouts Ahead
6/6 Hp +5(Goblin) +1 (Tough)
ATK 7 +1(Goblin) +3(Duel Spears) +1(When using a spear-like weapon) + 1(Helmet) +1(Training)
DEF 6 +1(Goblin) +1(Helmet) +1 (Black wolf cloak) +1 (Tough) +2(Leather Armour)
Traits: Hunter, Spear mastery, First aid, Tough
Items: Backpack, flint and steel, 30ft rope. bedroll and a bottle. Holy symbol. Symbol of Kord, 79 gold, Potion of forest scent, purple vial
Ziprath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby davecom3 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:19 am

I'll probably work up a bio to send via pm for Sir Gets-Culled-In-The-Wintertime.
davecom3
Keenspot Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games