Slaves to the Ring

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Slaves to the Ring

Postby Haragorn on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 am

Note that this game won't be starting until some time after the 17th. However, I am opening up signups now. You can sign up for this even if you're already in CCM. At the moment, I am not planning to cap the group size, but characters will probably not be able to join after the game has started.

Plot----------------------------------------------------------------
One particular city has two claims to fame. One is of no consequence to this. The other is the grand arena in the center of the city, known as The Ring. Young fighters battle to prove themselves, while captured monsters fight for their lives. It is this second group which concerns us. In particular, one group of fighters. Many of them have been recently captured, but a few more experienced fighter may be added to their group. We shall follow them as they fight during the day, and spend their nights resting, training, or trying to escape. This is but the start of their story. They are called Slaves to the Ring.

Gameplay----------------------------------------------------------------
Gameplay is divided into two sections: Day and Night. During the day, you will compete in the arena. During the night, you will be locked up, but free to try to escape.

The stat, ability, and magic systems are identical to CCM.

Night and day are 60 turns each. If you are in the middle of a battle when the day ends, it will continue until it's over, and the nighttime portion of gameplay will be abridged. Full days will remain 120 turns.

Daytime Gameplay----------------------------------------------------------------
During the day, you will be fighting in the arena. Mechanics are very similar to combat in The Clan of the Connected Mesh. However, combat takes place on a grid, similar to Goblin Gladiators or CTF. Distances can be diagonal or orthagonal. That is, two diagonally-adjacent tiles are only one space away from each other.

You will typically participate in multiple battles throughout the day.

There is fog of war in the arena. A tile is in Line of Sight if a straight line from any corner of a player's tile can hit any part of the opponent's tile. Most attacks require Line of Sight. There may be objects which block movement and attacks, but not visibility.

You may move once and take one major action each turn, in whichever order you like. The entire PC team makes their actions, and then the entire enemy team makes theirs. At the start of a battle, a coinflip will determine who goes first. However, you will not be informed of the result. The other team will simply move right as the battle begins. You will still be able to see what they've done before the first turn.

Major actions include attacking, casting a spell, moving a second time, or using an Active or Activated ability.

When you move, you are given some movement points. The exact number is yet to be determined, but will be level across the board. A single movement point is required for each of the following tasks: moving to an adjacent and unoccupied tile, picking up an item off the ground or from a body, equipping an item during a turn, using an item, and handing an item to an adjacent ally. You can freely unequip items, and you can freely change your gear at the very start of your turn.

Attacks have differing ranges. Generally, melee attacks have R1, meaning they can attack any adjacent space, orthogonally or diagonally. Magic and ranged attacks have varying ranges.

When you lose all your HP, you are incapacitated. If you are incapacitated, any attack or damage will kill you, even if it would not penetrate your defense. However, if you are healed, you can rejoin the fight. If you end the fight incapacitated, you will be restored to 1 HP after it ends.

Whatever gear you are given will be taken back at the end of each fight. It will remain your group's gear, though, and will be consistent from round to round. You will sometimes be given new gear. You can use the gear of fallen enemies during battle, but you will typically be unable to keep it.

Nighttime Gameplay----------------------------------------------------------------
Nighttime gameplay is nearly identical to the gameplay in CCM. After the last match of the day, your gear will be taken and put away, and you will be brought back to your cells. Resting for 15 turns (1/4 of the night) restores 1 HP. You can try to escape. You can also train, though you won't have any weapons. If you do well, you might be given more priveledges.

Updating----------------------------------------------------------------
You will have at least 24 hours to post before I update. It may be longer before an update, because my schedule is rather hectic.

If you know you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, you may choose someone to take over your character until you return. If you don't choose anyone, the first person to call it will take control. The person who takes over may still join the game whenever a spot opens up. If you are gone for a week, I will assume that you are unable to access the game for some reason, and someone will be allowed to take over until you return.

Character Information----------------------------------------------------------------
Each character needs, to start, a name and color. You should also include a backstory. While this doesn't need to be very long, important details may benefit you. They may also hurt you. I may also draw upon backstory details for future plot developments. Don't worry about that too much, though. Just list what you think might be relevant, whether it's a favorite weapon, a mind-numbing fear of spiders, or an orc friend from your childhood who you've lost contact with. If I need more information about a topic, I'll ask. In addition, please try to keep your backstories from conflicting. If someone says they are the clan's Teller, they will be the Teller. If someone says they are the Chief, they are. You can dispute it, and if they're nice, they may change for you, but ultimately, whoever posts first is canon. Take advantage of the potential in your backstories.

You do not have to be a goblin. However, I'd prefer it if most characters were. Goblin characters should PM me their info instead of posting it here.

If you are not a goblin, take note of the following: PCs must be a sentient race. PCs must be able to survive on land. Amphibious creatures are allowed, provided they don't require immersion in water to live. Flying creatures are not allowed; the arena is open-air. PCs must also be containable. Magic bindings are in place to limit the power of casters. If your character has some awesome perks, even racial ones, he'd better have some penalties. Members of "civilized" races (humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc.) must be criminals. I won't accept anything way overpowered. Outsiders, constructs, etc. are all fine, if you have a good backstory that explains why they're here. PCs can't be too large. More than 9'/2.5m tall/long is too big. That's the low/mid end of Large.

Obsidian Portal----------------------------------------------------------------
I have an Obsidian Portal wiki for the game set up here with all character info, items, abilities, spells, etc. Use it.
Last edited by Haragorn on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Re: Slaves to the Ring

Postby Silentobserver on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Definitely interested. Totally gonna kobold things up around here. Or maybe orc it up. Hmmmm.... :lol:
Clan Rampage
Splatters Gnomes – Walking Armory
HP: 3/5, Att: 4, Def: 4-6
Skills: Battle Tactics (Passive) - +1 Attack
Inventory: Pitchfork, Holey Cloak w/ Bell Clasp, Leather Armor, Leather Cap x2, Pear, Leather Helmet x2, Short Sword x2, Invisibility Potion, Wooden Shield, Broadsword
Silentobserver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:03 pm

my chance of getting in here are zero procent arent they :D
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Haragorn wrote:You can sign up for this even if you're already in CCM.

Haragorn wrote:At the moment, I am not planning to cap the group size

Your chances are pretty good.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 pm

well count me in

:D

SPOILERS:f*CK YEAH NEW GAME
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dusk9 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Hmmm.....do I really need to be in another game?

....lets say yes.

I'm in. Already got a character in mind too.....
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby narie666 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Interested
narie666
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jrlans on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm

This sounds pretty cool. I'm definitely interested in playing

EDIT: My Character Info
Name: Syrus
Race: Draconian (Grey Scales)
Size: Approximately 6 feet tall
Bio: The result of an evil wizards experimentation on a dragon egg he managed to steal, Syrus was hatched and raised in the wizards tower. When he matured, he was given the job of warden. His duty was to keep any of the other experiments from fleeing the tower, and stopping any chaos caused by the priso--experiments. The wizards taught him a few cantrips to help him with this, but usually his presence was enough to keep them all quiet. If one actually managed to get out of the tower, Syrus used draconian eyesight and magic bow to shoot them from the top of the tower. Preferably in the leg so they could be recaptured, but they didn't always have legs. One day the tower was raided by an adventuring party, and Syrus was taken prisoner. He was sold off when the adventures came back to town.

If there's anything that needs to be changed, please tell me. Most that of the stats that I would give him (like wings, a breath attack, extra def for scales, extra atk for claws, maybe even a minor form of dragon fear) are obviously way too OP, so I don't expect him to have any of that. And the spells he was taught can be decided by you Haragon. Maybe he suffered brain damage during the fight and forgot the spells, maybe he has a collar on that limits his power, whatever you need to do to bring him down to a playable level.
Last edited by jrlans on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clan Rampage
Gets Revenge
HP: 4/5
ATK: 1+2 (+1 Dagger, +1 Dagger)
DEF: 1+2 (+1 Leather Cap, +1 Leather Armour)
Inv: Empty Potion, Poisonous Mixture, Mug, Assortment of Useless Crap, Improvised Shield (+1 Def), Beer
Skill(s):[Backlash] - Gain +1 attack against any creature type that has previously damaged you.
jrlans
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby quindraco on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm totally unfamiliar with CCM, as I've only been following LSN's game threads, but I'm interested in trying something new. I might need some newb-help getting started, if you're assuming we're all already familiar with the system.
quindraco
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:11 pm

This sounds interesting. And with Civilization gone, and The Forsaken on apparent hiatus, I think I have time to give it a try. Count me in, please. =)
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Totally interested!
Dares Devils, goblin berserker. Threads of reality
Lvl1 berserker. M. 8/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:3+used weapon DEF:3

Grace of Maglubiyet. Curse of Gold
Last in Lina. Clan Rampage
SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jacon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Interested
Name:"Wears-A-Coat ( Delve Version)
Hp: 3/5
Attack: 4 ( 3 plus warhammer. Two handed.
def: 2 +1 to slashing weapons( Helmet +1)

Wears-a-long-coat
HP: 5/5 HP
MP: 3/3 MP
ATK: 3 ( +2 two handed bone sword)
DEF: 1
INT: 1

I'm very interested in playing a goblin game. If you create a new one let me know
Come join my game The New Goblin Warriors. viewtopic.php?f=136&t=113403
Jacon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kurik on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:26 pm

God, I'm in so many games already. But forsaken and gladiators look to be dead, same with Herds's. And I'm on break from TWSK...

Yeah, what the hell, count me in.

Name: Mighty Claw
Race: Armand (MM3 pg.10)
Color:#40400
Size: 3' 10", 147lbs

Bio: Armands are a peaceful desert race or armidillo-like people. They often travel far from home in search of new experences to bring back to the community in order to gain status. They tend to dislike fighting because it often leads to the end of one's enjoyment of life, and will choose a defendable location to make their stand if threatend. Mighty was at the begining of his travels, searching for knowlege and techniques to aid hit tribe, when he came upon a human city. Not having learned much common before embarking on his journey, he did not understand what the gate guards were saying, or why they were saying it so loudly, but he understood when one drew his sword that he had apperently broken some sort of odd taboo. As the guard attacked Mighty planted his feet wide and shifted his weight to dodge the blow, returning a strike to the man's elbow, causeing him to drop his sword. The injured man brought up his knee to strike Mighty in the head, but he bent backwards at the waist, throwing the guard off balance and letting Mighty balance himself on his hands and kick the man is such a fashion as to drop him to the ground with a whimper. Three swift strikes later and the fight was over.

That was when Mighty noticed the five other men who had gathered. He tried to run but they caught him and beat him unconsious. He awoke in some sort of dungeon cell thinking to himself that it had been an interesting trip so far.

Racial stuff (3.5, so convert as needed): Defensive Stance- as a move action armands can take a defensive stance, gaining +2 attack rolls, +4 dodge AC untill they move.
(+1 Atk, 33% miss chance)
+4 natural armor
(+2 Def)
10 foot burrow speed
(Can dig through dirt but not stone, dosn't leave a tunnel)
1d4 claws
(Unarmed attack of 1)
20 foot base land speed
(kinda slow)
Last edited by kurik on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Donnigan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm game.
Madre de Dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!

HasBadTemper
Hit Points: 6/6(+5 goblin, +1 tough)
Attack: 6???(+1 Goblin, +1 Training, +4 Battleaxe, +??? Cold???) (9??? if Raging)
Defence: 8(+1 Goblin, +1 Tough, +3 Kite Shield, +3 Studded Leather)(7 if Raging)(9 or 8 if Wearing Iron Mask, unlikely)
Traits:
Goblin Rage 2: if 2hp or below 4+ attack. - 1def. Can multi strike, first strike.
Shield Bash 1: 25% chance to stun small creatures.

Inventory: Iron Mask
Donnigan
Keenspot Despot

Postby Forztok on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I've been reading most of these games since LSN's Arena Slaves, time for me to join one!
Forztok
Junior Keenspotter

Postby kurik on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Forztok wrote:I've been reading most of these games since LSN's Arena Slaves, time for me to join one!

And another one gets delurked! Hiya!
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aelthas on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Throw my name into the mix, please.
Giggles Incessantly
HP: 5/5
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby sonic3535 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm interested!

kurik wrote:
Forztok wrote:I've been reading most of these games since LSN's Arena Slaves, time for me to join one!

And another one gets delurked! Hiya!

*another TWO

:D
sonic3535
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby davecom3 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Well, it sounds interesting, although I'd have to admit there'd only be a limited amount I could post on Christmas Day, probably.
davecom3
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dlover on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Heck, I've just finished my last day of school for the year, why not make my game list 5 (Discounting TWSK)?
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 am

Yeah ok, I'm in :-D

Also, hello to the ex-lurkers! Welcome to the forum :-)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nerre on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:12 am

sounds nice, i would like to join.
Curse of the Gold:
MAP: Link to World Map
The New Goblin Warriors: Carves hide
MAP: Link to World Map
HP:5/5 Def: 1 Location: G6 (warcamp)
Attack: Bow 8(9) (Marksman 6+, Coates +1)25% to miss // Short sword 4(5) (Short sword +2, Coates +1) // both: (1+ against any woodland creature)
Traits: Marksman 3, Hunter (Can create traps for small creatures, can do basic tracking, can skin animals. Gets a 1+ attack in dealing with any woodland creatures), Basic trainig with Coates, First aid, Deer gland 1/10 turns (partly washed of).
Inventory: Short Bow, Short Sword, Hunting dagger, 10 Arrows, Backpack, Hatchet, Flint, 30m Rope, Blanket, 5 Leather, 7 Meat, some Bones, 1 deer musk gland, 2 sinews, 1 set of stag antlers.

Slaves to the ring: Goron'Kar
HP:12/12 ATK: 2 DEF: 1
Abilities:
- Endurance (Passive) = he can defend himself while at 0 HP. Enemies must penetrate his defense to kill him.
- Shield Proficiency (Passive) = +1 Def when using a shield.
Nerre
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jrlans on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:09 am

Haragorn wrote:You do not have to be a goblin.

You know what would be kinda cool to play as? A werewolf, except you turn every night instead of full moons. When you're fighting during the day, you're just a human. But at night you turn :evilgrin: Could a surprise for everyone the first night, but I'm sure the guards would lock you up extra tight the following nights.
Clan Rampage
Gets Revenge
HP: 4/5
ATK: 1+2 (+1 Dagger, +1 Dagger)
DEF: 1+2 (+1 Leather Cap, +1 Leather Armour)
Inv: Empty Potion, Poisonous Mixture, Mug, Assortment of Useless Crap, Improvised Shield (+1 Def), Beer
Skill(s):[Backlash] - Gain +1 attack against any creature type that has previously damaged you.
jrlans
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby askstoomuch on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:43 am

haragorn what creatures could we play as goblins kobolds humans......orc...and ?
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby davecom3 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:02 am

Monster races, based on what he said. So human is straight out. Even though there are humans that are monsters.
davecom3
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to Goblins Games