Magic The Questering [Forum Game] (Replacement Needed)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Magic The Questering [Forum Game] (Replacement Needed)

Postby LicentiousDey on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I have been wanting to make this game for a long time and I think there is enough support by people who know the game so I'm starting this up for all who are interested. I have a few ideas for quests, specifically regarding Eldrazi and The Pits of Rath, but now I want to see if I can make any actual interest.

Defined Terms
WURBG
The five colors White Blue Red Black Green (in that order)
Converted (mana)cost
How much mana something costs total (Ie 3WW=5)
XP
Angry face sticking his tongue out
Experience
Tapped
Exhausted, the creature is too tired to defend itself
Power/Toughness
How much damage you can deal/How much damage you can take a turn

Rules
First you must choose a character from this list.
[url=http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?output=spoiler&method=visual&text=+[level]+[up]] This List.[/url]
Or, if you know the game well enough, you can make your own character, but I have the right to veto it if it is OP.

Experience
A character can gain XP In various ways:
S/he kill a creature, find a secret item, or be super awesome roleplayer with grammar and diction and stuff.
A character can also spend their XP in a multitude of ways:
S/he can spend XP equal to his/her converted cost to level up to go up a level
S/he can spend XP less than or equal to his/her level to learn a spell of their color (Green Characters can only cast green spells, for example). The spell must be the Converted Manacost of the XP spent.
S/he can spend XP less than or equal to his/her level to learn a feat, by feat they can attach an aura to themselves of their color (Green Characters can only attach green auras) and equal to the converted manacost.
For example, my Beastbreaker of Bala Ged(Karl) is level one and has one XP. I can spend that XP to give my character Rancor. My character now has the Rancor feat, which gives him +2/+0 and Trample. Or I could have my character learn Giant Growth.

Attacking/Blocking/Tapped
Each player takes his or her turn at the same time, but whoever posts first acts first, so if a player decides to attack a creature and they kill it, no one else is able to attack it.
To attack, you must simply state your character is attacking (though, not using spells) and specify who you character is attacking.
When you attack, your character deals damage equal to their Power to the defending creature. The defending creature blocks at the same time dealing damage equal to its power to your character. Your character then becomes tapped and can no longer perform actions until the beginning of your next turn.
When a creature or character is tapped, they cannot defend themselves, so they deal no damage (I’ll make this half damage rounded down if it’s too OP) to enemies that attack them. Another creature/player may block the attacking enemy, but players must declare that they are protecting the specific person (NPCs do not have to do this, this is only so that I don’t have to double the time it takes for a creature’s turn to go).
When an entity is tapped, they cannot activate any abilities or cast any spells. Spells that would be cast on the opposing turn must be stated conditionally before then. (For example My Beastbreaker, Karl, can not attack during his turn and instead declare that he is protecting Steve, the Lord of Shatterskull Pass and that if necessary, he will cast Giant Growth on himself in order to survive the enemy turn)

Casting Spells
At the beginning of each player’s turn, they gain mana equal to their level. (Mana can be spent in any color of that character if only to make things simpler). A player’s maximum mana is equal to their level as well, though they can generate more mana after the first bit is spent using spells or artifacts.
A player may cast a spell only if they are untapped. They must spend mana equal to the spell’s converted manacost and fulfill any other requirements to cast the spell.
A player may only cast a spell once per turn, but they may learn it again in order to cast it another time that turn. (For example, Karl now has another XP to spend, he can relearn Giant Growth to be able to cast it twice during his turn or the enemy’s).

Keywords
Keywords will be slightly different in this game, but they should effectively work the same, just ask on specific ones, or if they come up on NPCs I’ll explain them then
Summoning Creatures
I haven’t figured this one out yet, shoot me a pm with an idea and I might use it :P

I want around 5-7 people playing this game, hopefully one in each color and who know the game Magic even the tiniest bit so I won’t have to explain certain nuances in the original game that will bleed over. Making your own Level Up card is HIGHLY encouraged, so much so, that I might arbitrarily give you two entries in the randomizer if I like your character enough.

Signups will last until 12 pm, Eastern Time Friday.

1)ChroniclerC, Havenwood Rotpriest
2)Black Talons, Lord of Shatterskull Pass
3)Warlock, Uncle Istvan
4)Kurik, Ged Beast of the forest
5)SlamsWithSticks, Hedron field purist
6)Arctic Tornado, Academy Shaman
7)aelthas, Aelthas D'astagard

*EDIT*
I had a bunch of hyperlinks for Giant Growth and Rancor and other cards, but they didn't work. I think the URL format hates me here.
*DOUBLE EDIT*
:grumble: Maximum number of URLs allowed is 2.
Last edited by LicentiousDey on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Magic The Questering [Forum Game] (Signups open)

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:32 pm

A) I'm probably in.

2) BBCode doesn't like it when your links have brackets in them. Aim for Gatherer links that refer to a card by it's Multiverse ID. Like this.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby LicentiousDey on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks! lol, I thought the URL code was reversed.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BlackTalons on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm not sure I understand entirely but while im at it..
Dibs on the fire minotaur shaman Lord of Shatterskull Pass :evilgrin:
Last edited by BlackTalons on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Go there. VOTE now.
BlackTalons
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Jotting down some notes before I wander off...

SPOILERS:Golgari Rotpriest. (BG)
Creature - Elf Druid
Level Up (BG)
(Lvl 0-1)
1/1
(Lvl 2-3)
B, T: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. If that creature dies this turn, put a 1/1 Green Saproling token into play.
1/3
(Lvl 4+)
B, T: Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn. If that creature dies this turn, put three 1/1 Green Saproling tokens into play.
2/4
Last edited by ChroniclerC on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby BlackTalons on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm

how many levels do we need to make for the card?
Image Go there. VOTE now.
BlackTalons
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MadBoat on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:21 pm

oh, sure, sounds neat. I'll play the Lighthouse Chronologist

on second thought, I should opt out. I don't really have enough time with all my RL stuff going on. LOOT! is already not receiving enough attention.
Last edited by MadBoat on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last Ditch Dungeon: Teller Hideous Mole SWEET GLORIOUS VICTORY!
Escape from Brassmoon: Sarus, Foe of the Floating Maw ESCAPED! WOOT!
Crappy Art Cave of Doom: Mops Up : DIED AT THE HEIGHT OF MY GLORY! HOW NOBLE!

Loot!:Herr Henry von HeffleHocken, Hobgoblin Hero
WND: 4
ATK 9: 1 (Hero) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (pipe of Badassery)
DEF 2: 0 (Hero) + 1 (Leprechaun Lamp) + 1 (Accounts Ledger)
FAB 14: 0 (Hero) + 4(Leprechaun Lamp) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (Accounts Ledger) + 2 (pipe of badassery)
Gear: s1: Leprechaun Lamp(Creates Rainbows! Creates light! 30% chance for Moar Lewt!)
s2: Pipe of Badassery (Makes you a badass! Also makes you talk like Helen Keller!)
s3 Accounts Ledger (Giant friggin' blank book! Very pretty! Contains Blank Paper Pages of Potential!"
s5: Mighty Pen( 5% chance to break swords! +1 Def against swords! Creates caligraphic characters on command!"
MadBoat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kurik on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:37 pm

I've got some ideas, but first some questions.

How are you going to handel mana exceleration, like overgrowth or summer bloom?

Will the PC be summoners or doing the fighting themselves?

Players can only cast one spell per turn, or can only cast a paticular spell once per turn?
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby LicentiousDey on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:43 pm

kurik wrote:I've got some ideas, but first some questions.

How are you going to handel mana exceleration, like overgrowth or summer bloom?

Will the PC be summoners or doing the fighting themselves?

Players can only cast one spell per turn, or can only cast a paticular spell once per turn?

Lands are not a factor in this game (unless the DM, me, wants to put you guys in an Inkmoth Nexus or something)

Players will do the fighting themselves, but if they manage to have creatures by some effect they may choose what those creatures attack on their turn. Creatures do not gain XP and Players gain Half XP when a creature kills an enemy.

Players can cast any number of different spells a turn, but if they want to be able to cast two of the same spell a turn, they must relearn it.

Morze Thok
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kurik on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:46 pm

okay, one last question (shoulda put in my other post, but I forgot)

Monocolor only, or can we do multicolor?
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby LicentiousDey on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:50 pm

The reason you can create your character is because some players may want to play more than one color, though I suggest not going over two colors (3 may be ok, but can be pushing it) because the Mana you generate per turn is not color specific. If you make a five color Character that I don't deem OP, then by God make it!
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kurik on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Alright, edited version is up. Didn't know if backstory was required for self made characters, so I threw one in to be safe. Again, if anyone sees anything that could be an issue, please let me know.

Ged, Beast of the Forest 1GG
Elemental
level up 1GG
lv.0-2: 2/2
lv.3-5: 4/4 Frenzy 1 (+1/+0 when attacking and not blocked)
lv.6: 6/6 Frenzy 2_Intimidate

Ged is an elemental, brought into existance by the forces of nature itself as an expression of several beastial qualties. As a young elemental, Ged has yet to reach his full power. Currently he appears to have a roughly monkey-esk form, his face scaled like a snake leading into the beginings of a lion mane. His body fur is spoted like a cheeta's, giving way to more scales at his elbows and knees, and along his spine, which has a crest of spikes rinning from his head to the base of his prehensile tail, which ends in a large bony club. By the time his growth is finished, he'll be bigger than Mighty Joe Young (but considerably smaller than King Kong)

But Ged is no simple beast. True, he is prone to fits of rage, and shows no mercy to those who would violate the natural order, but he has a mind to match most men. And while loath to leave his home, he is not bound to it in any real fashion, and some cause may convince him to leave, for a time.
Last edited by kurik on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
-George Carlin

-Mark Twain

-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:20 pm

kurik wrote:Okay, this may be a little akward, so let me know if anything needs tweeked, retooled, or just changed altogether.

<placeholder because names are hard> 1GG
2/2
lv.3-5: 3/3 Trample
lv.6-8: 5/5 Frenzy 1 (+1/+0 when attacking and not blocked)
lv.9: 7/7 1GG<tap> Destory target artifact or enchantment _ Intimidate

Level-up cards only have three states (including their level 0 state).
Level abilities are not retroactive, so it's pretty weird that it's losing abilities as it goes.

Also, you really should figure out what your card is, rather than just what it can do. Because 7/7 is really freakin' big, and 5/5 is still quite sizable. (IE: Solo humanoids without serious magical abilities tend to cap out at 2/2.)
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby kurik on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:57 pm

ChroniclerC wrote:Level-up cards only have three states (including their level 0 state).
Level abilities are not retroactive, so it's pretty weird that it's losing abilities as it goes.

Also, you really should figure out what your card is, rather than just what it can do. Because 7/7 is really freakin' big, and 5/5 is still quite sizable. (IE: Solo humanoids without serious magical abilities tend to cap out at 2/2.)

Yeah, I'm in the process of editing it in another tab right now. But it's almost 1 in the morning where I am, and I distract easy.

Thanks for the tips (I haven't bought cards regulary since before the level up thing really got started) and I'm gonna try to get away with an elemental.
-George Carlin

-Mark Twain

-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:45 am

I could play as a Hedron Field Purist. Someone should be a healer right? :)
Dares Devils, goblin berserker. Threads of reality
Lvl1 berserker. M. 8/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:3+used weapon DEF:3

Grace of Maglubiyet. Curse of Gold
Last in Lina. Clan Rampage
SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kurik on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 am

SPOILERS:Well, Green has some really good healing spells too, but a dedicated healer would be a good thing. :)
-George Carlin

-Mark Twain

-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChroniclerC on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 am

kurik wrote:
SPOILERS:Well, Green has some really good healing spells too, but a dedicated healer would be a good thing. :)

Rotpriest: Healing... ain't my thing. Feel free to call me if you think you're gonna die, though. Image
Last edited by ChroniclerC on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby LicentiousDey on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:20 am

ChroniclerC wrote:
kurik wrote:Okay, this may be a little akward, so let me know if anything needs tweeked, retooled, or just changed altogether.

<placeholder because names are hard> 1GG
2/2
lv.3-5: 3/3 Trample
lv.6-8: 5/5 Frenzy 1 (+1/+0 when attacking and not blocked)
lv.9: 7/7 1GG<tap> Destory target artifact or enchantment _ Intimidate

Level-up cards only have three states (including their level 0 state).

For the purposes of this game, a designed card can have more than two "Higher level" states as long as I deem it not OP. Also, RnD made provisions for if the wanted to make level abilities retroactive in the future, so when Guul Draz Assasin is maximum level he loses the ability to Disfigure, but gains the ability to Double Disfigure.

kurik wrote:Ged, Beast of the Forest 1GG
Elemental
lv.1-2: 2/2
lv.3-5: 4/4 Frenzy 1 (+1/+0 when attacking and not blocked)
lv.6: 6/6 Frenzy 2_Intimidate

Don't forget to put a level zero p/t and a Level Up cost. I would gage it to be around 3.
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChroniclerC on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:23 am

Oh hey, Dey. Wanna give this a quick look?

ChroniclerC wrote:Golgari Rotpriest. (BG)
Creature - Elf Druid
Level Up (BG)
(Lvl 0-1)
1/1
(Lvl 2-3)
B, T: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. If that creature dies this turn, put a 1/1 Green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
1/3
(Lvl 4+)
B, T: Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn. If that creature dies this turn, put a 1/1 Green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
2/4
Last edited by ChroniclerC on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby LicentiousDey on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:35 am

Doesn't look OP to me :P

Morze Thok
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChroniclerC on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:17 am

LicentiousDey wrote:Doesn't look OP to me :P

In a less foreboding line of conversation, a couple quick questions.
-You mention that one of the things that can be done with XP is to learn an Aura. Mayhaps this could be expanded to global enchantments as well? *cough* :shifty:
-A weird question of timing, since you said we can't cast spells while tapped, what if we want to both cast a spell and use a tap ability on the same turn, but want the tap ability to happen first? (I want to use my character's ability, then finish them off with Disfigure or something.)
-Oh, and are we going to start off with any XP? Because for those of us who start at 1 toughness, we can't exactly fight anything (and survive) to get any XP.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 am

I guess all the players will have to choose balanced spells also. I mean if I on my first level would choose Smite "Destroy target blocking creature (W)" that would be a little OP. Maybe even healing salve would be op. "prevent the next 3 dmg dealt to target creature (or player)"

Also, can you play as Figure of Destiny? 8) (I'll stick to the purists though.)

EDIT: Chronicler, about timing - can't you just cast disfigure before tapping? There could be times though where the opponent is a 2/2. Then you couldn't cast disfigure first and then tap. Unless we use the stack. Then you just cast disfigure then tap so that your ability resolves before the disfigure.

(disfigure is -2/-2 to target creature)
Dares Devils, goblin berserker. Threads of reality
Lvl1 berserker. M. 8/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:3+used weapon DEF:3

Grace of Maglubiyet. Curse of Gold
Last in Lina. Clan Rampage
SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LicentiousDey on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:38 am

ChroniclerC wrote:[
In a less foreboding line of conversation, a couple quick questions.
-You mention that one of the things that can be done with XP is to learn an Aura. Mayhaps this could be expanded to global enchantments as well? *cough* :shifty:
-A weird question of timing, since you said we can't cast spells while tapped, what if we want to both cast a spell and use a tap ability on the same turn, but want the tap ability to happen first? (I want to use my character's ability, then finish them off with Disfigure or something.)
-Oh, and are we going to start off with any XP? Because for those of us who start at 1 toughness, we can't exactly fight anything (and survive) to get any XP.

You cannot learn global enchantments, they will appear in quests though. You'll have to figure out what they are first :P

The Stack exists in this game, if you want to cast a spell, but after your character activates their ability:
Cast the spell then activate the ability before the spell resolves

You do not start with any XP, you start at level zero. This will work in the first quest.

SlamsWithSticks wrote:I
Also, can you play as Figure of Destiny?

Yes
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ArcticTornado on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:55 am

I want to play this game, so much. Unfortunately, I stopped playing magic the set before level up was introduced, and only just restarted with innistrad. But I can probably whip up some U/G guy to play as (what would card draw do, or cards that return to the hand?) While I'm at it, how would haste work? (I'm going to have a lot of these questions by the end)

Also, graveyard? And shroud, now I think about it...
Chief Gets to the Chopper
2/6 HP :: 0/12 Inf
4 Atk :: 5 Def

Inverted Luck
ATK: 4-6 (+2 Brakeblade, +1 Thief Blade, +0/+1 Thief Armor (25%), +0/+1 Short Blade Specialty (50%))
DEF: 6-7(+1 Goblin, +1 Thief Armor, +1 Thick Skin, +0/+1 Leather Helm (50%), +1 Iron Bracer, +1 Iron Bracer)
HP: 5/5
Pack: Very Pointy Pencil, 78 gold pieces, Leather Armor, Dagger, Challenge Note, Random Book, Short Rope
Abilities: Renew (+1 HP, Major Action, touch), Lady Luck (double % chance to most items/abilities, passive).
ArcticTornado
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aelthas on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:35 am

I would like to play as some kind of healer/buffer/trickery white/blue card, but I only just started playing and don't really understand level ups myself. If someone wants to whip that up for me stat wise, I could flavor it.

The slashes mean and/or. I don't know when this gets to be OP.
Giggles Incessantly
HP: 5/5
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Goblins Games