Threads of reality

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: Threads of reality

Postby PicksUpSticks on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:58 pm

I'll use my last point on the followup

Knowing look: Picks distrusting glare has a SMALL chance of making someone uneasy and prone to mistakes/stutters when lying to him.
Last edited by PicksUpSticks on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Congratulations to everyone who got in, ill be lurking this one a lot :-)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Godbot on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:35 pm

I made us a Google Doc of our character profiles, so that we don't have to go looking every time we want to look up another character's backstory.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/146C ... mDq8c/edit

With the exception of my own profile, these are the unedited versions. I figured I'd leave the finalized versions up to you guys. (Partly 'cause I don't want to have to dig through the thread and find all the edits you guys made.)

edit: I got bored, so I made a few of the obvious edits, like confirmed sets of abilities, and Sticks-to-the-Plan's new name.
Last edited by Godbot on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Threads of Reality
Born and Raised - Lvl 1 Ranger (7/10 EXP)
HP:3/5 ATT:3 (1+2) DEF:3 (2+1)
Godbot
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:46 am

Weirdness Magnet: Weird, improbable and sometimes dangerous coincidences have a way of hunting down and singling out Born and Raised. He hasn’t noticed the pattern. +0

Butterfly Effect: Each shot fired has a small chance of entirely missing. If it misses, it somehow still manages to deal damage to multiple enemies, through the power of shenanigans. +2

-1 HP: -1

This is in order yes. Also, that google doc isn't openable for me. :gonk: (requested access though)

I'll use my last point on the followup

Knowing look: Picks distrusting glare has a SMALL chance of making someone uneasy and prone to mistakes/stutters when lying to him.

But you don't have any points left!

Anyways, let's see what's the current status:

Burnsbees: done
Slamswithsticks: Also done (I'll assume he does not want to pick the daredevil trait until further notice)
Arctictornado: I'll assume the YESSSSSSSS snake! means she's okay with her traits
Madmartin: Okay
Dusk9: Okay
Randommerc: Okay
Picksupsticks: Okay
Godbot: Okay

So, it looks like everyone is done with their traits! I might as well begin work on this update, (soonish) and allow you guys to still make the minor adjustments you would want to make, if any. They are hardly going to be useful the first few turns after all :)
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dusk9 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:54 am

Was my +1HP for a disadvantage in social situations okay?

EDIT:
Dusk9 wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of Hears being very quiet, not speaking much (unless he's talking to his voices), and being polite, while the Voice that comes out in fights is loud, vocal, and very rude/antagonistic (basically he taunts/insults his foes and can get pretty violent/bloodthristy).

As for the +1 trait point, that can go into HP.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:00 am

Dusk9 wrote:Was my +1HP for a disadvantage in social situations okay?

EDIT:
Dusk9 wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of Hears being very quiet, not speaking much (unless he's talking to his voices), and being polite, while the Voice that comes out in fights is loud, vocal, and very rude/antagonistic (basically he taunts/insults his foes and can get pretty violent/bloodthristy).

As for the +1 trait point, that can go into HP.

Yes, it is :)

Oh, and unless Burns declines the position, Cut and Paste will become party leader.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ArcticTornado on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 am

well, I'd like to know exactly what my running away trait actually does, but other than that, I'm good.

Maybe I should just swap it out for thick skin
Chief Gets to the Chopper
2/6 HP :: 0/12 Inf
4 Atk :: 5 Def

Inverted Luck
ATK: 4-6 (+2 Brakeblade, +1 Thief Blade, +0/+1 Thief Armor (25%), +0/+1 Short Blade Specialty (50%))
DEF: 6-7(+1 Goblin, +1 Thief Armor, +1 Thick Skin, +0/+1 Leather Helm (50%), +1 Iron Bracer, +1 Iron Bracer)
HP: 5/5
Pack: Very Pointy Pencil, 78 gold pieces, Leather Armor, Dagger, Challenge Note, Random Book, Short Rope
Abilities: Renew (+1 HP, Major Action, touch), Lady Luck (double % chance to most items/abilities, passive).
ArcticTornado
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:25 am

ArcticTornado wrote:well, I'd like to know exactly what my running away trait actually does, but other than that, I'm good.

Maybe I should just swap it out for thick skin

It would provide 2 bonus defence whilst running away, and increased chance of doing so succesfully.

You can put an +1 in DEF if you want as well offcourse.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BurnsBees on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:03 am

Oh god you are letting a pure chaotic person leading the party. I'm sure this is going to end well. ...Also what does party leader get?
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:04 am

BurnsBees wrote:Oh god you are letting a pure chaotic person leading the party. I'm sure this is going to end well. ...Also what does party leader get?

It's a seeeeeecret! (but actually kinda fits well with a healer role)

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:55 am

The seven goblins were nervous. Anyone would have been though: they were the very first. They would be the very first goblins that became adventurers. But it had been talked and discussed about too much: all away from the elders eyes and ears. Nobody but themselves knew they would do this.

Eventually, one for one, they stated what their role would be...

Cut and paste
Lvl 1 cleric. M. 0/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:1 DEF:1

Abilities: Minor heal: restores 1 HP to an party member or yourself.

Traits:
Danger sense: Can sense when danger is about to happen or if hostility is near. 3 points
Anthropophobia: When nearby two or more humanoids (excluding his teammates), Cut-and-paste receives an 1 ATT/DEF penalty. (He also receives an additional -1 ATT/DEF for each 5 more persons, though it is capped at three negative ATT/DEF) 2 points.

Dares Devils
Lvl1 berserker. M. 0/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:3 DEF:1

abilities: none (yet)

Traits
lucky: exceptionally lucky in gambling and perilous situations.
Daredevil

One-bluff-too-many
Lvl1 rogue. F. 0/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:1 DEF:0

abilities: Stealth
Trap detection/disabling

Traits:
lopsided luck: either having bad luck or good luck, there will be no middle way
Quick escape: +2 DEF when running away from an enemy

Studies Everything He Can Get His Hands On
Lvl1 mage. M. 0/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:1 DEF:1

abilities: magic missile: deals 2 magic damage

traits:
Bardic knowledge
+1 to magical attacks
Combat disability: cannot wield a melee weapon

Hears-Disembodied-Voices[/b]
Lvl1 berserker. 0/10 EXP
HP: 6/6 ATT:3 DEF:1

Abilities: none (yet)

Traits:
Automatic combat rage: + (Level/3) ATT, +(level/4) DEF (rounded up) Cannot drink any healing potions whilst enraged, enraging ends at the end of combat.
Jekyll and Hyde: being very quiet and polite whilst out of combat, yet savage whilst in it, most persons will not tend to like this goblin easily.

Destroys Nations
Lvl1 mage. M. 0/10 EXP
HP: 4/4 ATT:1 DEF:1

Abilities: magic missile. Deals 2 magic damage

Traits:
Loner: When by himself, Destroys has + 2 Defense and + 1 attack
Taboo Name - Destroys is less trusted by everyone.

Picks-the-plan
Lvl1 Warrior. M. 0/10 EXP
HP 5/5 ATT:2 DEF:2

Traits:
Rebellious: Whenever a team member suggests a target to Picks during combat, if there are other tagets available he takes -2 ATT/Def if he follows orders.
If a move is suggested and he uses it (regardless of the number of targets) he takes -2 ATT/Def.
Weak against illusions/strong against suggestion
Blind Rage: When he feels taunted by an enemy Picks always attacks that target, all team suggestion penalties are ignored. Attempts to stop Picks have a higher chance of failing/missing.
Don't talk about it: When his brother is mentioned, there is a 10% chance I attack the target, friend or foe.
Get to the point: being very rude, he is not a likeable person. when forced into conversation or forced to wait for conversation with someone he knows, or verbally expresses a desire to fight he gets a +1ATT/Def for a number of rounds equal to the amount of rounds used for conversation.
Third eye:The closer he is to death, the more Picks feels as if his brother is still watching over him, his situational awareness rises and he is able to predict/feel the actions of those around him. Increasing his critical success chances.
Saving throw: 25% chance to block an attack that would kill/incapitate a fellow party member.

Born and Raised
Lvl1 ranger. M. 0/10 EXP
HP:5/5 ATT:1 DEF:2

Traits:
Weirdness Magnet
Butterfly effect: each shot fired has a small chance of entirely missing. If it misses, it somehow still manages to deal damage to multiple enemies, through the power of shenanigans.

After everyone has picked his or her class, confidence slightly returns. But the goblins yet have to face their greatest challenge: to tell their others about this.
You have absolutely no idea how they will react. In the best case, they will think it's a wonderful idea, have no idea why they hadn't thought of that, and all suddenly become adventurers, amassing an unstoppable force. Also, hogging all the loot and EXP.
But the worst case, would be that you'd be shunned, banished from the clan. Maybe even hunted down as they'll see you as an abomination of what a goblin is supposed to be.
You certainly hope it won't be the last one. Though your pretty sure it won't be. The heartbound clan is a... Family. Of sorts. Chief Rides-an-Owlbear and teller HasVisions might react rather unpleasant. Though you wouldn't know. You really wouldn't know.

Only one way to find out.

The map. If one were to spend a major action on examing it, he could probally make a good guess as to what is what. Or a minor action to examine only a few specific things. And studies, with all his random knowledge, could probally fill in a lot of obscure details about all these places...

SPOILERS:Allright, the game is on! Note that you guys are still free to change traits this turn if you want, thought after that they'll be fixed.

Also, Born and Raised' HP is not an error: A ranger starts with 6/6 HP, lowered by one because of his trait. If you spot anything else out of place though, point me on it.
Last edited by m0rtimer on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:17 am

m0rtimer wrote:Slamswithsticks: Also done (I'll assume he does not want to pick the daredevil trait until further notice)

There is a daredevil trait? :o :shifty: :o

What is it? Do I want it?
Dares Devils, goblin berserker. Threads of reality
Lvl1 berserker. M. 8/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:3+used weapon DEF:3

Grace of Maglubiyet. Curse of Gold
Last in Lina. Clan Rampage
SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:19 am

-1 def is 1 trait point, so that's settled then. As for the "daredevil" trait... We can do this, for another 1 point gain. But if you pick it, I expect you to play the part: I would expect Dares Devils to be someone who eagerly jumps into combat on his own, even being outnumbered. Off course, there can be the odd case that he is actually senseful, or that his teammates talk sense into him... But I don't expect things like that happening too often. It's your choice.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dusk9 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:29 am

m0rtimer wrote:Jackyl and Hyde: being very quiet and polite whilst out of combat, yet savage whilst in it, most persons will not tend to like this goblin easily.

:lol: I didn't even notice this similarity, but it fits perfectly. One small thing though - it's spelt Jekyll, a jackel is a type of dog-like animal. Everything else is great though :D

I suggest Studies, Born, and One-Bluff explain what we've done to the chief and teller, since they're probably the most normal and talkative of us.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Tower Game
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:30 am

Dusk9 wrote:
m0rtimer wrote:Jackyl and Hyde: being very quiet and polite whilst out of combat, yet savage whilst in it, most persons will not tend to like this goblin easily.

:lol: I didn't even notice this similarity, but it fits perfectly. One small thing though - it's spelt Jekyll, a jackel is a type of dog-like animal. Everything else is great though :D

I suggest Studies, Born, and One-Bluff explain what we've done to the chief and teller, since they're probably the most normal and talkative of us.

I knew that. :shifty:

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:31 am

m0rtimer wrote:
-1 def is 1 trait point, so that's settled then. As for the "daredevil" trait... We can do this, for another 1 point gain. But if you pick it, I expect you to play the part: I would expect Dares Devils to be someone who eagerly jumps into combat on his own, even being outnumbered. Off course, there can be the odd case that he is actually senseful, or that his teammates talk sense into him... But I don't expect things like that happening too often. It's your choice.

Is the "daredevil" a negative or positive trait? What mechanics does it have? Or is it just how I play him. I intended for Dares to be the kind that throws himself in stupid fights but somehow manage to get out of there alive (god knows that good luck is the only this still keeping Dares alive).

Sorry for the inconvenience..

SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 am

It is considered a penalty: if you chose not to pick it, you could still be a daredevil, but then when you back off out a battle, I won't judge it. But if you do so with this trait too often, then... Well, I'm hoping that you realize that you'll have to play the part if you pick this trait: if you believe you can, then I'd say do it, the extra point would be used to strengthen one of your abilities. If not, then steer away from it.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:43 am

m0rtimer wrote:It is considered a penalty: if you chose not to pick it, you could still be a daredevil, but then when you back off out a battle, I won't judge it. But if you do so with this trait too often, then... Well, I'm hoping that you realize that you'll have to play the part if you pick this trait: if you believe you can, then I'd say do it, the extra point would be used to strengthen one of your abilities. If not, then steer away from it.

This sound like exactly what I wanted for Dares. Sweet! I'll change the -1 def for daredevil trait as both my penalties was for the flavor of the daredevil trait. I will play accordingly. If not, my goblin will get depressed, and not very useful. This will also happen if Dares hasn't done anything "exciting" in a while.

SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:45 am

SlamsWithSticks wrote:
m0rtimer wrote:It is considered a penalty: if you chose not to pick it, you could still be a daredevil, but then when you back off out a battle, I won't judge it. But if you do so with this trait too often, then... Well, I'm hoping that you realize that you'll have to play the part if you pick this trait: if you believe you can, then I'd say do it, the extra point would be used to strengthen one of your abilities. If not, then steer away from it.

This sound like exactly what I wanted for Dares. Sweet! I'll change the -1 def for daredevil trait as both my penalties was for the flavor of the daredevil trait. I will play accordingly. If not, my goblin will get depressed, and not very useful. This will also happen if Dares hasn't done anything "exciting" in a while.

Heh. Kay :)

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BurnsBees on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:24 am

Dusk9 wrote:

Copy and Paste is talkative....and probably would make it go over their head. :lol: Lets see here.....

"Gaining enlightened knowledge about fighting various creatures including the oppressing humans, elves, and dwarves, allowing us to fight back and perhaps concur their area once we have enough training to fight things that over exceed what we can normally overtake and granting us much more power and ability to be self sustained without having to rely on various grouping tactics that vastly over exceed our enemy causing many of our deaths."

That's Copy and Paste's name of an adventurer is. Which will probably change as we go along because I do not have great memory.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dusk9 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:37 am

BurnsBees wrote:
Dusk9 wrote:

Copy and Paste is talkative....and probably would make it go over their head. :lol: Lets see here.....

"Gaining enlightened knowledge about fighting various creatures including the oppressing humans, elves, and dwarves, allowing us to fight back and perhaps concur their area once we have enough training to fight things that over exceed what we can normally overtake and granting us much more power and ability to be self sustained without having to rely on various grouping tactics that vastly over exceed our enemy causing many of our deaths."

That's Copy and Paste's name of an adventurer is. Which will probably change as we go along because I do not have great memory.

Notice how I said normal and talkative :lol:
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Tower Game
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Postby BurnsBees on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:42 am

:shifty: Copy and Paste is normal. Sure he's like Varrcuvius in goblin form.....but oh well.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:03 am

Edit: Nevermind... :)
Last edited by SlamsWithSticks on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:09 am

Sorry, but you didn't pick a trait that allows you to conjure up enemies out of nowhere.

Seriously though, yes, it might be difficult to do anything productive just yet (besides the obvious "tell your elders". Unless you want to do... Something else?) but being turn 0, we're just getting in the swing of things. Trust me, you'll soon know things you could do.

A thing to think of perhaps: currently, nobody hold any equipment of any kind. You will probally want to look out to obtain some.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:12 am

Edit: Dares sits around, poking with a stick in the ground. Get out there already!.

Double edit: I guess Dares doesn't even have a stick yet... He has... nothing.. A feeling of nothingness sweeps over Dares. Something needs to be done. He quits his sulking and wanders around a bit, trying to find a good poking stick, preferably a pointy one!

SPOILERS:Slams you gotta get your head straight!

SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games