Lair of the Mountain King: MOVED TO NEW FORUM!

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One (Turn 27)

Postby saithed on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 pm

turtles passes off his centipede fang to silver

"lets see what magic can do"

Turtles uses his magic to harm the beast using all his focus to try kill it

SPOILERS:thanks for the back up
saithed
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Aelthas on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Questions examines the log to see if it would provide enough cover to dry the sticks. if so, he puts them in the log.
Giggles Incessantly
HP: 5/5
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SilverMK2 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:59 am

Silver Tongue holds the fang like a dagger and will protect Turtles if the beast attacks them.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One (Turn 28)

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 am

Turn 28

Burned ignores his amulet's tremblings and heads east to a brand new area and finds himself at the mouth of a cave... Sounds like something is snoring inside.

Silver and Turtles look at the monster and then at each other. Silver nods and takes Turtles's centipede fang. It is on!

"lets see what magic can do"

Turtles focuses all his energy on harming the creature. Suddenly, he feels a searing pain in his chest as the energy is released (-1MP) and he loses 1HP. It seems to affect the creature at least though, which yelps in pain at the attack. Silver leaps forward, slashing with the makeshift blade, but he can't get through the creature's thick fur. The snowbeast manages to hit him though, and does 1DAM.

Both goblins are starting to feel the cold and will need to warm up soon or take damage.

A little further south and Princess Sparkles starts to explain some more about how to use magic.

"So, what types of magic are there, exactly? And how do they work, in general?"

"Using magic is pretty easy really once you get the knack. Soooo easy that even you (yes, even you!) can probably manage it without killing yourselves in the process, but there aren't TYPES of magic, stupid! It's all just MAGIC you know? The thing you need to remember is that casting spells is all about MANIPULATING the natural energies around you. You can't just say 'I'm going to cast a fireball' and WHOOSH! there's a fireball! If you want to cast a fireball you need to take the energy from somewhere first. If you can't find an external source, like a (really big) fire or something then you'll basically be using your own energies as the source for the spell and that's a pretty quick way to end up dead...

Actually...

...Yup, the green dude just did exactly that. Moron. Magic is just a way of moving energy around: you can do ANYTHING you want, but every spell you cast has a consequence and has to be paid for. Also, don't bite off more than you can chew. You're only novices, so don't start trying to channel the energy of the sun or something idiotic. Start small and go from there. Make sense?

"Is it possible for you to teach me any magic of divining the Truth in someone statements, or finding a desired object?"

"Well, that's... less stupid than I was expecting for question time... Finding STUFF is easy if it's magical cos you just follow its energy until you find it. 'Truth' isn't exactly an energy though is it? I suppose you could force your will on someone if you really tried, but you'd have to be prepared to pay the price of that."

Travels meanwhile heads back towards the cairn and gets to the mountain spring.

Splits checks the river bank for flint, but all the stones here are smooth and rounded. Good for throwing, but useless for starting fires cutting things with. He heads west again towards the cairn.

Questions checks the log, but it's soaking wet and rotten and is no good for drying out anything.

NEXT UPDATE ----->

----------

Slightly rushed this eve, so will get Obsidian Portal and the map updated tomorrow.

Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dusk9 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 am

"Ah, I see......what about manipulating physical things, like earth, water, or air? Does that involve transferring movement energy, and if yes, how exactly does that work? Also is it possible to convert energy - turn fire to lightning, light to sound, that sort of thing?"
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby kurik on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:42 pm

SPOILERS:I wasn't looking for flint to start a fire, I was looking for rocks to bang together untill one aquires a sharp edge so I can skin the dead rabbits I have. I just mentioned flint because it sharpens well. Or am I confused and thinking of something else?
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Burned very briefly considers shouting a fearsome warcry, but then decides that at this point of time, that is a VERY bad idea.

So he just charges south and attacks that stupid snowbeast.

Some of you magic guys, come and use yer magics to help kill this thing.

Some things to try concerning what we've learned:

- Meditate, and then try to grasp the "calmness". We might be able to use that for a calm spell. It might also help to generate mana for more effective magic missiles.
-Likewise, we might be able to get a rage spell.
-Myself, I'm going to try out if I can harness the power of diplomacy later in time. (You'll see what I mean. :lol: )
-Try "absorbing" a few random elements and see what it gets.

Also Thinks, now your just trying to get somebody to dislike Princess Sparkles. Still, it's not for Burned to argue with a spirit of a little girl that has been "imprisoned" for so many years. Though maybe in the long run in a "Now look here young lass" way. :P
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby saithed on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:04 pm

"well that hurt instead of giving lets try taking"

Turtles tries to drain energy from the beast, the type of energy say keeping it alive
SPOILERS:think life siphon
saithed
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby m0rtimer on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm

"I think the force of life might be a little bit too much for now Turtles, even with you being the most experienced of us..."

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aelthas on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Questions surrenders his quest for viable firewood and hurries north, where he hopes to use his inviable firewood to poke out a certain snowbeast's eyes.
Giggles Incessantly
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Donnigan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:55 pm

"Hmm...Excuse me, Princess. I am going to go try to put some of your principles into action. Would siphoning the cold from the surroundings to harm the snowbeast that my clan is fighting work? Or perhaps sapping it's energy?" FindsTruth asks, then heads towards the snowbeast as fast as he can. If he gets there in time, he will try to suck the cold from the surroundings and put it into the snowbeast, with a goal of harming it.
Madre de Dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!

HasBadTemper
Hit Points: 6/6(+5 goblin, +1 tough)
Attack: 6???(+1 Goblin, +1 Training, +4 Battleaxe, +??? Cold???) (9??? if Raging)
Defence: 8(+1 Goblin, +1 Tough, +3 Kite Shield, +3 Studded Leather)(7 if Raging)(9 or 8 if Wearing Iron Mask, unlikely)
Traits:
Goblin Rage 2: if 2hp or below 4+ attack. - 1def. Can multi strike, first strike.
Shield Bash 1: 25% chance to stun small creatures.

Inventory: Iron Mask
Donnigan
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Splits goes back to the cairn and settles down to try and work a stone into something with a sharp edge while he waits for sparkles to finish up with the magic 101 class.

SPOILERS::oops: Whoops, forgot to put my action into my last post. :nervous:
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby SilverMK2 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:54 am

Silver Tongue tries to stab the best through the eyes since its fur is too thick.
Last edited by SilverMK2 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:32 am

Balls. In my rush to get the update done before a party last night, I forgot to put in the effects of the cold on Turtles and Silver. They are due to start taking damage next turn from the cold, but I forgot to put it in the update sorry! It's been edited in now and hopefully you will both see this in time if you want to change your actions...

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby SilverMK2 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:31 am

Does fighting a vicious monster count as warming up? :D
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 am

Sadly no, sorry! :-) doesn't really make sense I know but that's the way the mechanic works

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby SilverMK2 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:42 am

Ok, I will keep my action as it is - I think we should probably fall back to the rock pile next turn. Princess may be able to attack the snow creature if it follows us.
Last edited by SilverMK2 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Quarg on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:02 am

Travels will continue West to reach the carin and learn about magic...
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby saithed on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:41 pm

ok change of action

"Run Away"

turtle heads south and tries to absord some life from the grass in the area
Last edited by saithed on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
saithed
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SilverMK2 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 am

saithed wrote:ok change of action

"Run Away"

"Coward" Silver Tongue thinks to himself as Turtles makes a speedy retreat. "But I can't fight this monster alone."

Silver Tongue retreats South.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby m0rtimer on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 am

Seeing how everyone absconds, Burned decides to head further east.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One (Turn 29)

Postby thinkslogically on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Turn 29

The goblins gear up for a showdown with the snow beast, but then all change their minds at the last minute and scarper off to do other things. All of them except Questions and Finds that is, who bravely face down the monster alone. Questions attempts to use a wet stick to attack the creature, but it's no more effective than using his bare hands and he can't get through its defence. Finds has a little more luck and uses 1MP to draw some of the coldness from the snow around him and drive it into the snowbeast. The snow around Finds's feet melts as the temperature increases, and the beast growls in pain as the magical coldness hits it. It looks like it's nearly dead, but it's not out yet and manages to hit Finds for 1DAM, bringing him down to 3/5HP.

Silver reluctantly flees south to warmer climes with Turtles, who uses his remaining 1MP to draw the life energy out of the grass at his feet. He manages to regain 1HP, but the grass around him withers and dies. The ninja rabbit is visibly upset and drums a complex beat on the ground with its hind foot.

Eaten continues to probe Princess Sparkles about using magic,

"Ah, I see......what about manipulating physical things, like earth, water, or air? Does that involve transferring movement energy, and if yes, how exactly does that work? Also is it possible to convert energy - turn fire to lightning, light to sound, that sort of thing?"

"Well, it depends on the situation really... Air is the easiest to manipulate because you just need to alter the natural movements of the wind and there's nothing to stop it. Water is a bit harder, but can be done, and moving the earth will take a LOT of power because there's so much resistance there naturally. But that's if you want to shift the really big stuff - if you just want to throw a small rock, but can't be bothered using your arms, then you can mess around with the gravity near the rock. Every time you use a different type of energy, you need to spend more MP on the spell though, so try and keep things simple when you can."

"Ok, last things you need to know... Ummm... Ok. If you need to store energy to use later on, you can, but you need something to store it in. In my time, we used to use special metals.. They were kind of... well, SHINY, I guess. I don't really know how else to describe them, but different types were better than others... Hey, like that ring the green guy has - that's one! Some fabrics could store magic too, but... Bah! It was SUCH a long time ago I can't remember properly...! Oh well, you'll just have to work that stuff out yourselves.

"Oh right, one last thing. Sometimes it's worth combining your powers to cast one really big spell. It takes a bit longer because you have to focus on each other's energies before you can start on the spell, but it can be worth it if you do it right..."

Splits arrives and starts looking for a stone he can work into a sharp edge.

"Psssst! Over that way!"

In a remarkable display of helpfulness, Princess Sparkles points him to a likely looking pile of stones and he finds a few that look suitable. Splits chooses one, then sits down and begins to work on sharpening the stone into a sharp edge. It's slow going, but he makes a start.

Travels also arrives at the cairn and waits to start learning about magic.

"You guys next, huh? Well, if you want to try... Are we ready to begin?"

Up at the cliff, Burned decides that fighting the snow beast is not worth it at the moment and heads east to explore a bit further, where he finds another berry bush. He's getting cold again though and will need to warm up next turn or take damage.

NEXT UPDATE ----->

-------------------

EDIT: Ok, so it looks like Questions is getting hit in that image cos I messed up the colouring, but what is ACTUALLY happening is that he's been knocked out of the way while the beast charges at Finds. Totally, definitely what is happening there. No art errors to see here... None. :shifty:

EDIT EDIT: Yes, Silver and Turtles are now warm.

SPOILERS:What a lot of learning!
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:20 pm

It's the fabled berry bush. We have all the ingredients. Awesome. Let's get that potion finished.

Also, sorry Questions and Finds, I didn't notice that there for a moment. :nervous:

Anyways, do zee warming up dance.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kurik on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Splits puts away what he was working on for later, and gets comfertable for the magic lession.
-George Carlin

-Mark Twain

-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby saithed on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:42 pm

"thanks for the help silver give, sorry it didn't go as well as i had helped but i did learn a few things thanks, you can keep the fang if you want. When i have a bit of a rest i will try fix you up with some magic if you need it."

turtles settles down to meditate for a bit seeing if he can speed up the mp regen process

SPOILERS:I may have pissed off the rabbits with my weed killing . Me thinks Eaten may have to do some more diplomacy
saithed
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games