Lair of the Mountain King: MOVED TO NEW FORUM!

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: PLAYERS ARE CHOSEN!

Postby SlamsWithSticks on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Congratulations to those players who are in. Best of luck to you!

Well, if you need me I'll hopefully be in the arena, battling gladiators :)
Dares Devils, goblin berserker. Threads of reality
Lvl1 berserker. M. 8/10 EXP
HP: 5/5 ATT:3+used weapon DEF:3

Grace of Maglubiyet. Curse of Gold
Last in Lina. Clan Rampage
SlamsWithSticks
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dusk9 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Looking over the backstories, the only character I feel would fit the Chief role is Burned-by-Flames - he appears to be the only level-headed, even slightly leaderish character out of all of us. So, there's my vote.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby askstoomuch on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:01 pm

too bad i didnt get in but yeah lives goes on :D concrats to the winners
i will be watching
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Ok - Coloured sprites are now up in Post 2 on the 1st Page.

Donnigan / Quarg: You guys are pretty similar colours, would one of you mind changing?
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Okay, read over everything again. Lots of interesting backstories, but most seem to be going more towards the teller district then leader, and since we don't have a teller...

So, of all us players I think that most likely candidates would be Saithed, Donnigan, Quarg(though technically, his backstory says he's an outsider) and me. But I can hardly vote for myself :P

So, I'll see what everyone has to say before casting my definitive vote :)

Oh, as for clan name... What about "the wanderers clan"? I think it'd be fitting.
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ArcticTornado on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Note to self: don't write an entry to a backstory competition when you should be asleep.
Chief Gets to the Chopper
2/6 HP :: 0/12 Inf
4 Atk :: 5 Def

Inverted Luck
ATK: 4-6 (+2 Brakeblade, +1 Thief Blade, +0/+1 Thief Armor (25%), +0/+1 Short Blade Specialty (50%))
DEF: 6-7(+1 Goblin, +1 Thief Armor, +1 Thick Skin, +0/+1 Leather Helm (50%), +1 Iron Bracer, +1 Iron Bracer)
HP: 5/5
Pack: Very Pointy Pencil, 78 gold pieces, Leather Armor, Dagger, Challenge Note, Random Book, Short Rope
Abilities: Renew (+1 HP, Major Action, touch), Lady Luck (double % chance to most items/abilities, passive).
ArcticTornado
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:07 pm

im not a player but i got a idea for a name for the clan

clan of the shattered shield
or the stoneskin goblins clan
or asktoomuch is my hero clan :D
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby knucklekraken on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:11 pm

I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm disappointed in all of you.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby m0rtimer on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:14 pm

knucklekraken wrote:I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm disappointed in all of you.

Boo! Hiss! :wink:

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aelthas on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:16 pm

I think we should repost our character backgrounds for ease of use. Therefore, :
Questions-The-Nature-Of-The-Multiverse
Color: Hmm. how about #4080BF?
Questions has always been weird. He was always curious as a child, and seems to think understand something that most goblins can't, something about mysterious qualities creatures have called and how these qualities define how good those creatures are at things. He's always been seen as moderately crazy, but perhaps that's just the way he examines tools closely to determine their "bonuses" before using them, and he says he functions on a different timescale, where simple actions that take seconds fill two days, sometimes more.
In other words, Questions has a limited understanding of the fact that he is in a game. He is loosely based on a 4.0 warforged I play who was aware of the real time going by and of dice that landed on the grid. It was interesting.

Also:
Oh, Knucklekracken. You always find a way to brighten my day with your hilarious, beautiful, hostility.
Giggles Incessantly
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby m0rtimer on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Sure thing.

NAME: Burned-by-Flames
COLOUR: #BF0000
CHARACTER BACKGROUND: At his naming ceremony, Flames was officially dubbed as Burned-by-Flames: and later on in his life, told what the teller had seen: surrounded by fire, trapped, that he would be one day. And worse of all, the teller couldn't say wether or not he lived through it: only that he would not come out the same way he went into it.

One would expect such a fate to lead to fear of fire, always trying to avoid it. They would be wrong. Burned was a strong minded goblin: if asked how he could be so calm, maybe even enjoying looking at the fire, his reply would always be: "Hey, if it's gonna happen anyways, why run away from it? Besides- You don't think I'm gonna let some petty flames really burn me that easily, eh?"

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nioca on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Congratulations, and good luck to all the players!
ImageFights a Losing Battle (#FFAA11) | The Awesomesword Wanes | TAW Roster
HP: 2/5 | ATK: 3 (Base 1 + Longsword 2 + NYPME 2) | DEF: 4 (Base 1 + Owlbear Hide Armor 2 + Buckler 1)
INVENTORY: Longsword (+2ATK), Owlbear Hide Armor (+2DEF), Buckler (+1DEF), CLW Potion (Heal 2), Iron Ring
SPECIAL: Tactic NYPME (+2ATK @ 1HP)

Cowers in Shadow (#1C0041) | Curse of the Gold
HP: 5/5 | ATK: 1 (Base 0 + Knife 1) | RTK: 3 (Base 2 + Javelin 1) | DEF: 3 (Base 2 + Clothing 1)
SKILLS & TRAITS: Agile (+1DEF, Evasion & Parry Focus), Wary Mind (-1ATK, +1RTK, Hiding/Cover Bonus)
EQUIPMENT: Leather Clothing (+1DEF), Knife (+1ATK), Dark Gray Beret, 3x Javelins (+1RTK, MinDmg 1), Backpack
INVENTORY: 3x Bandages (Stabilize), 10 Arrows, Handheld Grindstone, Short Bow (+1RTK, 75% MissChance), 20 Arrows, Small Healing Potion
Nioca
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby saithed on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Envies turtles
Wow thanks to every one that voted cant belive i got in.
My vote for chief is Burned-by-Flames purely cause i want to see how much fire damage he can inflict on the clan through out the game (then we can rename him Burns the clan)
Turtles is an errand runner and probably future scout for the clan so no chief vote for him i think.
clan name vote :Clan of the Forgotten
saithed
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cyberion on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:14 pm

SPOILERS:Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

:gonk:
Cyberion
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kurik on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm fine with Flames for chief.

Clan Reclaims their Stuff?
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Quarg on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:30 pm

I suppose Burns should be chief...

As for clan name, I suggest Clan of the Mountain Halls...
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Quarg wrote:As for clan name, I suggest Clan of the Mountain Halls...

^This.
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Quarg on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:42 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Ok - Coloured sprites are now up in Post 2 on the 1st Page.

Donnigan / Quarg: You guys are pretty similar colours, would one of you mind changing?

Perhaps you could put a purple sash on me? I wouldn't mind being purple but I don't want to post in purple letters cause I find them hard to read...

(Or just make me purple)
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby Theonewhoisodd on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Wait Thinks there was a mistake you forgot my name.... Anyway congrats you eight
Extra-Dimensional shape-shifter with an affinity for confusion and mischief. Also I am a maniac...

Come lurk my game called The Forsaken.

Very first Bloodhound in Thuntworld Serial Killers.
Round 17 killer as Seth Bainwraith, fought off a lynch mob for 4 rounds until I purposely killed myself with a Trowel to complete the storyline of my kills.
Round 19 killer as Lesser Finger Horror, died in the first round but took the Ex-God SeeAMoose with me thanks to the Kaboomerang. (Thanks Warlock)
Round 31 killer as Forgath, died first round thanks to Vigilante justice...
Round 32 detective, found both killers fairly quickly.
Round 36 killer as FRGU, got hit with a computer error and thoroughly lynched.
Round 37 killer as Overlord, killed everyone and they didn't come back to life.
Theonewhoisodd
Keenspot Despot

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: NEW GAME (Sign-ups Open)

Postby Dusk9 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Dusk9 wrote:Name: Eaten-by-Rabbits
Colour: #808000
Background:
For his entire life, Eaten has, quite understandably, had a pathological fear of rabbits. The fact that rabbits are herbivores has done nothing to ease his fears, especially since Says-stuff-that-could-be-true-but-probably-isn’t claimed one day to have seen a swarm of vicious rabbits take down an adult boar and strip it to the bone in seconds. He is also terrified of many other small mammals, including voles, hedgehogs and squirrels, however he is rather bizarrely quite friendly with foxes and other carnivores - his line of thought is that making friends with something that eats rabbits will help protect him.

At first, Eaten was so terrified that he refused to go out, and grew up hiding inside as much as possible. However, that all changed one day when he was forced by his parents to go on a hunt into the forest. Unfit from years with very little physical activity, he was soon left behind by the other hunters, and, lost among the trees, stumbled into a clearing. Poking out of the ground in the centre of the clearing he found a small, circular clay talisman. However, when he looked up he immediately saw a dozen large and angry rabbits, advancing towards him with looks of hunger in their eyes (from his point of view, that is). When Eaten held up the talisman in a defensive gesture it vibrated, and the rabbits turned and bolted - he took it as a sign that the charm had protected him, and since then has always kept the talisman close around his neck, reaching for it when nervous or scared.
Since that day, Eaten has taken it upon himself to stop hiding from his destiny and face it head on, so that when it finally comes calling for him, he can at least go out fighting. He began by honing his combat skills, and eventually became a skilled wielder of twin daggers, perfecting a self-taught fighting style designed for facing lots of small foes at close range. Unfortunately, although it is highly effective against small opponents, it’s only of average usefulness against normal sized enemies, and pretty much unusable against larger foes - Eaten isn’t too worried though, since it’s the small ones that are dangerous.

Due to his preoccupation with destiny, and his focus on preparing for it whenever he can, Eaten doesn’t have any close friends; however he does get along well with most other goblins, helping them when they require it. He is also quite smart, and good at puzzles, but he doesn’t really enjoy them a lot if they are very complicated, preferring to let others look at them while he keeps an eye out for furry ambushes.
There are two reasons why Eaten wants to go on the mission. The first is to learn more about his talisman, since according to the teller, the symbol on it appears to be linked to Earth, but Eaten doesn’t know much beyond that. The second reason is his desire to learn defensive magics – he realises that such a small talisman can only have limited power, and wants to find more defensive options to help protect him from the demon rabbits.

How about:
Clan of the Forgotten Halls?
Clan of the Mountain Wanderers?
Clan of the Forgotten Mountains?
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby Donnigan on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Whoo! I'm surprised people voted for me, as my background wasn't very in-depth. Just from what I've seen, I think we should go for Clan of the Mountain Halls and Burned By Flames for Chief.

NAME: FindsTruth
COLOR:#0000FF
CHARACTER BACKGROUND: Finds has been searching for something for most of his life. He doesn't really know what it is, but it feels important. He hopes that heading to the mountain will be what his soul needs.

And I can change to this if you want.
Madre de Dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!

HasBadTemper
Hit Points: 6/6(+5 goblin, +1 tough)
Attack: 6???(+1 Goblin, +1 Training, +4 Battleaxe, +??? Cold???) (9??? if Raging)
Defence: 8(+1 Goblin, +1 Tough, +3 Kite Shield, +3 Studded Leather)(7 if Raging)(9 or 8 if Wearing Iron Mask, unlikely)
Traits:
Goblin Rage 2: if 2hp or below 4+ attack. - 1def. Can multi strike, first strike.
Shield Bash 1: 25% chance to stun small creatures.

Inventory: Iron Mask
Donnigan
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh, we're reposting the backrounds? Missed that somehow.

kurik wrote:SplitsHisFocus
Black (#000000) with purple (#8000BF) ears
Splits is interested in tinkering with weapons, and magic. Making them, useing them, playing with them, it's all good. It's close to being all he thinks about. (Magic and weapons, weapons and magic, magic weapons, weapons that shoot magic. Ooh! Magic that shoots weapons! Genious!) And he's eager to help reclaim the clans lost glory. And the stuff. Stuff is always good. You can use stuff to kill stuff and trade for other stuff... and junk, which isn't as good as stuff, but sometimes you can hook a bunch of junk together and turn it into stuff.
-George Carlin

-Mark Twain

-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:19 am

Clan of the mountain halls is fine. And I seem to have a majority vote allready, don't I? Well, I still have to cast my vote somewhere, so I'll be casting it towards Donnigan.

m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SilverMK2 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:47 am

SilverMK2 wrote:Name: Silver Tongue
Colour: FFFFBF

Background:
Every clan at one time or another spawns great orators, natural politicians and others with a natural skill with words. When the goblin shamans named Silver Tongue, the Mountain Clan rejoiced, thinking that it would at last have an excellent trader, or negotiator or someone else who was able to do through charm what the clan could not do through force of arms or trade. As the goblin child grew his silver colouration struck all who saw him, as did his silence. For almost 5 years Silver Tongue remained utterly without voice.

One day whilst watching over the camp of a hunting party, a pack of wolves attacked; Silver Tongue, alone and beset on all sides by hungry mountain wolves finally spoke; his words ripped through the wolves, killing them even as they pounced to rend him limb from limb, his voice echoing from the mountian peaks for miles around like a booming wave of sound.

Since that day he has only ever spoken when directly threatened with his life, despite the goading of the tribe who are desperate for such a powerful weapon to use against their enemies.

The clan have taken Silver Tongue with them on this quest in the hopes that his voice will be unlocked and will help them on their journey.

Silver Tongue is a quiet goblin who is reasonably proficient with most weapons (having had the tribe try to train him to be a weapon since they discovered his voice), although he is reluctant to fight other than in self defence. If pressed he prefers a spear to keep his enemies at a distance whilst waiting for aid to arrive and help him subdue them.

For himself, Silver Tongue hopes to find somewhere that he can be alone, to find some way that he might be able to change his voice of destruction to one of creation.

And I would just like to chuckle that my goblin looks like he is nekid :D

I don't mind who is chief - my character certainly is not chief material.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:22 am

Quarg wrote:
thinkslogically wrote:Ok - Coloured sprites are now up in Post 2 on the 1st Page.

Perhaps you could put a purple sash on me? I wouldn't mind being purple but I don't want to post in purple letters cause I find them hard to read...

(Or just make me purple)

That's fine - I'll just adjust both your blue colours to be a bit more different if you don't mind. Posting in blue is no bother either :)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games