Lair of the Mountain King: MOVED TO NEW FORUM!

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One (Turn 34)

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:29 am

Turn 34

Questions spaces out again, but Silver manages to finish removing the hide from the snow beast! If you had some proper tools there's probably enough material for a couple of warm tunics, but as it is it can be worn by one goblin as a rudimentary cloak. They are both getting cold though and will need to warm up soon or take damage.

To the north, Burned, Turtles and Eaten reorganise themselves for another assault on the cliff and reform the GoblinStackTM.

"Okay guys, let's try this again... If you really want to use your majyks on trying to help, maybe you can try to bend the wind away from here, so we can't get knocked over by it? Since that is obviously what happened previous time and has nothing to do with my clumsiness."

Turtles uses his magic to divert the wind around the GoblinStackTM, and seems to be successful. It's hard to tell though because there wasn't much wind to begin with, but hey ho, every little helps!

"there we go burns that should help you stay uipright this time"

Eaten meditates while standing very still and recovers 1MP. He is now back to 1/1MP.

Burned climbs the stack.

""please please please please please please please please....

SUCCESS! This is what it must feel like to be king of the goddamn world! Burned grabs 2 berries and climbs back down.

At the cairn, Travels begins his lesson with the now-familiar spiel from Princess Sparkles.

"Ok purple guy, let your mind empty..."

Finds meditates, and regains 1MP, bringing him back to 1/1MP. While he does so he allows his mind to ponder the nature of things... Can the properties of one thing be transferred to another? There doesn't seem to be a reason why not, although what would become of the original thing? And what would become of the target? The answers to those questions are too many to be clear to him just now, but he realises that he will need a great deal more power before he could attempt such magic without risking serious damage to himself or his comrades... Then again, reckless experimentation is always interesting.

Splits tries to divert the raindrops around him, but it's stopped raining so he doesn't bother.

"So if I were to create an item, do you have any idea how I would go about placeing magic effects into it?"
"Well, like I said before, there are only certain materials that can 'accept' a magical charge, like special metals and stuff, but they're difficult to work with if you're trying to make something from scratch... After that though, it's just a case of concentrating your magic and transferring some stored energy into the item. You should try and see if the old forge is still working... You know, if you lot ever ACTUALLY manage to find your way inside the mountain..."

NEXT TURN ----->

----------------

[Snowbeast Hide]: Can be worn as a rough cloak by one goblin or crafted into smaller items. When worn, it provides +1DEF and protection from the cold.
[Berries]: Ingredient. Can be eaten or used to make potions.

SPOILERS:See you on Monday!
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:37 am

"Glorious! Now, do you guys want to go check out that little cave?"

Moving south, and then checking the little cave. If any of my comrades wants to try and get these berries to Travels asap, then I'll hand those to him.
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kurik on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 am

Splits heads north and left. "I have an idea, I don't know if anyone would want to do this, but I have an idea if we don't want to give the trolls the healing soup stuff. Maybe we could have a few people pull their body heat out of them and maybe someone else could turn the heat into fire and burn them with it. I mean, maybe we don't want to do that to them, it's kind of a dick move, but it's an option. And maybe not a bad group combat thing if it can work. They may turn out to be allies, could be enemies, or anywhere in between, so I thought I'd just mention that I think we could maybe take them. If we wanted to."

SPOILERS:When the hell did Splits get so wordy???
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 pm

"So, Splits, what you are basically suggesting is that we try to take on the three trolls by ourselves, who indeed might be sick, but will still be able to put up a fight, when we've been having trouble defeating just a single animal, finally have gathered all the ingredients, and said trolls agreed to answer some questions?"

"Your a bit bloody late with that proposal then."

SPOILERS:I mean, you could at the very least have suggested that before we gathered all those ingredients then!
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kurik on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:03 pm

"Well, it's just an idea, and it only just came to mind. I'm not saying we SHOULD do it, I'm saying it COULD, possibly, be done. If you don't like the idea, then we scrap it. No harm, no foul."

SPOILERS:I would have mentioned it sooner but I didn't think of it till now. I still think it's a good idea to try in a fight, even if we don't attack the trolls. And for the record, I am all for just giving them what they want. I just don't trust them 100% to stay peaceful afterwards.
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aelthas on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Questions warms up, suggesting in the process that based on the constraints of the world, this cold business is rather time consuming, and perhaps a cloak or some tunics would alleviate teh need to do these strange, essentially pointless exercises.
Giggles Incessantly
HP: 5/5
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby saithed on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:56 pm

turtles will move south with chief and medataite while chief checks out the cave

"Could i grab my belt back now we got those berries??"
saithed
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dusk9 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Eaten moves south and follows the Chief into the cave (if there's room).
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby Donnigan on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:42 am

"Ahh, Princess Sparkes, how do we go about getting into the mountain again?" FindsTruth asks after some consideration. "Also...Are people one of the things that can accept a charge? Could I for instance, channel my magical energy into Splits here to give him more to work with?"
Madre de Dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!

HasBadTemper
Hit Points: 6/6(+5 goblin, +1 tough)
Attack: 6???(+1 Goblin, +1 Training, +4 Battleaxe, +??? Cold???) (9??? if Raging)
Defence: 8(+1 Goblin, +1 Tough, +3 Kite Shield, +3 Studded Leather)(7 if Raging)(9 or 8 if Wearing Iron Mask, unlikely)
Traits:
Goblin Rage 2: if 2hp or below 4+ attack. - 1def. Can multi strike, first strike.
Shield Bash 1: 25% chance to stun small creatures.

Inventory: Iron Mask
Donnigan
Keenspot Despot

Postby SilverMK2 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 am

Silver Tongue will wear the snowbeast skin like a cloak to keep warm.

Silver Tongue will then loot the bones and teeth of the snowbeast - especially looking for anything that can be used as needles, or weapons (ie teeth, claws, perhaps ribs etc). If there are ligaments etc, he will try to harvest them to make thread.
Last edited by SilverMK2 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:39 am

Aelthas wrote:Questions warms up, suggesting in the process that based on the constraints of the world, this cold business is rather time consuming, and perhaps a cloak or some tunics would alleviate teh need to do these strange, essentially pointless exercises.

I'm slightly surprised you guys have put up with it for so long... I knew it was going to be a pain in the ass mechanic, so I left quite a few options in to avoid it. You guys just haven't found them yet :)

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Quarg on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:54 am

Travels will now study the energy within objects...like the wood he currently carries. "If wood burns to produce fire then why can I not simply take the fuel that the fire wants and use that to power my magic?"

Travels will continue to meditate (as ordered)

:P
Last edited by Quarg on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:07 am

Quarg wrote:Questions will now study the energy within objects...like the wood he currently carries. "If wood burns to produce fire then why can I not simply take the fuel that the fire wants and use that to power my magic?"

If you do anything except meditate you'll need to start the learning process again since it involves achieving a state of mind rather than simply listening to instructions...

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One (Turn 35)

Postby thinkslogically on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 am

Turn 35

"Allow your mind to reach out to the patterns in the world around you and soar alongside them..."

Travels continues to meditate, allowing his mind to wander, free and empty of all questions (at least until the lesson ends :lol:).

"Ahh, Princess Sparkes, how do we go about getting into the mountain again?
"Well, I don't know do I? ...I was just supposed to wait here until the day that someone from our clan came back to the mountain and make sure I helped out. Personally, I think that letting you know you're on the right hill is plenty good enough!"
"I thought you were supposed to be our guide?"
"Ok, look... They... PUTTING me in this cairn was pretty much the first thing they did to safeguard the mountain. The only people who know the safeguards are those who stayed inside. I was just a lookout really, to stay here and wait. It's been really lonely... They wouldn't tell me anything ok! Happy now?!"

Princess Sparkles trails off, looking almost on the verge of tears.

There's an uncomfortable silence.

Ummm... Soooooo.... are people one of the things that can accept a charge? Could I for instance, channel my magical energy into Splits here to give him more to work with?"
"<sniiiiffff> Well... You can use spells against people like by channeling energy at them to heal them or hurt them or whatever even if they're not magicicans themselves, but you can't just donate your power to someone else. It doesn't work like that. You CAN work together on the same spell to make it more powerful though. Like, if you want to draw the energy out the grass again for healing, you'll get about twice as much out if two people cast the spell. You can only target it at one person or thing if you do that though..."

Questions warms up, complaining at how quickly they seem to cool down up in the mountains. Silver avoids the problem entirely by wrapping the hide around himself and securing it with a couple of small bones to use as makeshift pins. He immediately feels much warmer, and can now travel around in the snow without needing to warm up constantly. Hooray! He then loots the rest of the carcass and manages to retrieve 2 [Snowbeast Fangs], 5m of [Snowbeast sinew] (lucky!) for making thread and a selection of [Various-sized bones].

Splits arrives from the south, and proposes a bold plan to screw over the trolls. The chief doesn't approve.

"I have an idea, I don't know if anyone would want to do this, but I have an idea if we don't want to give the trolls the healing soup stuff. Maybe we could have a few people pull their body heat out of them and maybe someone else could turn the heat into fire and burn them with it. I mean, maybe we don't want to do that to them, it's kind of a dick move, but it's an option. And maybe not a bad group combat thing if it can work. They may turn out to be allies, could be enemies, or anywhere in between, so I thought I'd just mention that I think we could maybe take them. If we wanted to."

"So, Splits, what you are basically suggesting is that we try to take on the three trolls by ourselves, who indeed might be sick, but will still be able to put up a fight, when we've been having trouble defeating just a single animal, finally have gathered all the ingredients, and said trolls agreed to answer some questions? Your a bit bloody late with that proposal then."

"Well, it's just an idea, and it only just came to mind. I'm not saying we SHOULD do it, I'm saying it COULD, possibly, be done. If you don't like the idea, then we scrap it. No harm, no foul."

To the east, the berry-collecting group have moved south to investigate the little cave. Turtles asks for his belt back, but the Chief doesn't respond so he settles down to meditate and regains 1MP. Burned and Eaten check out the cave....

RAWR!

A wild snowbeast appears and tries to attack Eaten but misses!

All three goblins are starting to get cold now though and will need to warm up or take damage. Perfect timing eh?

-------------

Crafting Items:
[Snowbeast Fangs]
[Snowbeast sinew]: 5m
[Various-sized bones]

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Quarg on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:32 am

Travels continues to pretend to be a Buddha searching for Nirvana...
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dusk9 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:38 am

"Ah......well,I've been wanting to try out this trick for a while - might as well give it a shot now."

Eaten
attempts to channel the heat energy within the Snowbeast into his own body, harming the beast while warming himself up at the same time. He's careful to spread the heat throughout his body instead of just focusing it into one spot, as that would probably burn him.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby Donnigan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:16 am

"I am sorry if I caused you distress. There is so much about this whole situation that we know next to nothing about. I am simply looking for the truth." FindsTruth says, apologizing. "Now, it appears my chief and friends are in trouble..."

Finds
will then rush towards where the chief and snowbeast are, sucking the cold from any nearby snow and smiting it with the energy if he can.
Madre de Dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!

HasBadTemper
Hit Points: 6/6(+5 goblin, +1 tough)
Attack: 6???(+1 Goblin, +1 Training, +4 Battleaxe, +??? Cold???) (9??? if Raging)
Defence: 8(+1 Goblin, +1 Tough, +3 Kite Shield, +3 Studded Leather)(7 if Raging)(9 or 8 if Wearing Iron Mask, unlikely)
Traits:
Goblin Rage 2: if 2hp or below 4+ attack. - 1def. Can multi strike, first strike.
Shield Bash 1: 25% chance to stun small creatures.

Inventory: Iron Mask
Donnigan
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 am

Remembering that he did, in fact, have a plan of what to do for the next little while, Splits gets his rocks back out and returns to cracking them together in the hopes of getting a sharp cutting edge. Unless his help is called for with the snowbeast fight, in which case he'll rush in and try to direct light away from entering the snowbeast's eyes, blinding it or at least disorentanting it.

SPOILERS:If you need any help with the snowbeast, this should be set up so you just gotta call for Splits for him to come running.
-George Carlin

-Mark Twain

-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Ok folks, just a head's up that the game is moving to pastures new over on the new goblins forum here:

http://forums.goblinscomic.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10

Please bring all your stuff, and if you're the last one to leave please switch off the lights. I'll not be checking the keenspot forum for posts after Wednesday's update, so make sure you move over to the new forum to keep playing. If you decide to change your username, please PM me both at keenspot and goblinsforum with the same message so I know it's you.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to Goblins Games