have you seen my cat ?

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: have you seen my cat ?

Postby Theonewhoisodd on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:52 am

Wolfie can!! She is just that good.
Extra-Dimensional shape-shifter with an affinity for confusion and mischief. Also I am a maniac...

Come lurk my game called The Forsaken.

Very first Bloodhound in Thuntworld Serial Killers.
Round 17 killer as Seth Bainwraith, fought off a lynch mob for 4 rounds until I purposely killed myself with a Trowel to complete the storyline of my kills.
Round 19 killer as Lesser Finger Horror, died in the first round but took the Ex-God SeeAMoose with me thanks to the Kaboomerang. (Thanks Warlock)
Round 31 killer as Forgath, died first round thanks to Vigilante justice...
Round 32 detective, found both killers fairly quickly.
Round 36 killer as FRGU, got hit with a computer error and thoroughly lynched.
Round 37 killer as Overlord, killed everyone and they didn't come back to life.
Theonewhoisodd
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wolfie21384 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 am

Dlover wrote:But... Wolves can't dance. Not properly at least. :-|

Shows what you know :smug:
Wolfie21384
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:21 am

If you can prove to me that wolves or dogs can dance, then I'll admit I'm wrong. For now I'm too egotistical to accept the possibility that I wasn't right about something.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby HerdsCats on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am

Dlover wrote:If you can prove to me that wolves or dogs can dance, then I'll admit I'm wrong. For now I'm too egotistical to accept the possibility that I wasn't right about something.

They have doggie dancing competitions. Some of them are really quite good.
My name is Herds Cats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?
HerdsCats
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Somewhere between a tub and a mouth full of sharp pointy teeth

Postby Dlover on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 am

*skepticism*
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SilverMK2 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:37 am

Wolves may not be able to dance, but you can Dance With Wolves.
SilverMK2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dlover on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:41 am

I'm more interested in seeing the wolves dancing than people dancing around wolves.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Wolfie21384 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:51 am

Dlover wrote:I'm more interested in seeing the wolves dancing than people dancing around wolves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQH8XtUyx4
Wolfie21384
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 am

You think you can fool me? Those dancer don't look in the slightest like wolves! It's obvious they're ducks.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Quarg on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:00 am

Wolfie21384 wrote:
Dlover wrote:I'm more interested in seeing the wolves dancing than people dancing around wolves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQH8XtUyx4

Actually I'm trying to figure out what native tribes of argintine had access to violins and hand organs myself but that said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9xq-TVyHI

And everything a dog can do a Wolf can do better eh Dover :wink:
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
HP: 5/5
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Okay, that'll do.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SharesLoot on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:56 am

Quarg wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9xq-TVyHI

And everything a dog can do a Wolf can do better eh Dover :wink:
Cool :lol:
╔═Clan Rampage══Goblin Gladiators II══Hats II══The Forsaken═══╗
╠═Hairy═════════Little Feet═════════Falls════Cockadoodle═══╣
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
SharesLoot
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:28 am

Quarg wrote:And everything a dog can do a Wolf can do better eh Dover :wink:

Well, maybe not everything. Sheep herding and bomb decting come to mind. [/comical nitpicking]
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:43 pm

If a wolf were to be given the proper training, it could do just as well. Only the wild ones are savage, so if you were to raise one from birth, it would effectively be a dog with stronger senses.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby knucklekraken on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:51 pm

That's not true. Wolves are not domesticated and as such don't take training well.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dlover on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:42 pm

If it were raised from birth it would be more domesticated though. If you raised it properly. Nature vs Nurture, nurture wins out if it's done properly.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby knucklekraken on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Nah. They've done studies. It's not that simple.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.

knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dlover on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Have they done the studies on canines? They're pack animals, and if you raise one, it sees you as part of the pack. True, a wolf may be stubborn and difficult to train, but if you don't mistreat it it should be possible. Of course they all have different personalities, so there may be some which are more compliant, or vicious.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Quarg on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:45 pm

kurik wrote:
Quarg wrote:And everything a dog can do a Wolf can do better eh Dover :wink:

Well, maybe not everything. Sheep herding and bomb decting come to mind. [/comical nitpicking]

I'm sure not either of those are outside the realm of the abilities of wolves just not really in their best interest in the wild.

Why would a Wolf pack want to heard sheep or detect C4? I am sure if there were a reason, like rabbits suddenly started using C4 to protect themselves rather than speed and stealth, then wolves would start to associate the smell of C4 with both dinner and danger.

Of course the fact that rabbits arming themselves with C4 is likely a sign that the world is ending is beside the point...
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
HP: 5/5
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby knucklekraken on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:56 pm

The specific study i'm rferencing was one in which scientists raised a pack of dogs and a pack of wolves under identical conditions. The dogs became dependent on the scientists and the wolves did not. That's why wolves don't train as easily. I'd provide a link, but cell phone.

knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dlover on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:47 pm

That's because dogs have been bred to become dependent on humans, while wolves still have the instincts required to hunt and such. Dependency is no sign of whether they could be trained, you just offer them something more interesting than what they catch themselves for the rewards.

As for herding sheep, one thing I didn't mention before; Wild predators commonly use that same method as herding sheep to herd their prey. One or two will direct the prey into a trap, where the rest of the pack lay in wait. It's the same concept as herding sheep.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kurik on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Yeah, I saw a show on PBS (several really) about dog evolution and domestication, they had reachers raise puppys from bitrh as a control, then 6 or 8 day old wolf pups, at about 8 weeks the wolf pups instincts kicked in and they began acting like wild wolves. They shied away from strang things where dogs of simillar age checked it out (was a barking toy dog, I believe), the wolf pups didn't make eye contact like dog pups will, showed no inclination towards pleasing people (if they wanted something, they were going for it, and you couldn't really stop them), and in general it just didn't work out well.

But on the flipside, some dudes in russa have taken silver foxes and seclected for nothing but tameness (1% off the orgional stock of foxes) and in 8 generations dog-like features began to show. Their tails shortend and sometimes curled up, their muzzles shortened, their ears stayed flopy for longer, and there was some chance in fur coloration.

They also did the reverse, breeding a group for agression, leading to a bard of psychokiller foxes that will surely be used as weapons durring the next worls war.

Ninja'd edit: Herding (as well as most jobs dogs do) do use the instincts and behaviors of wolves; eye stalk, ???, kill. But the kill phase has been repressed.
SPOILERS:Not ment as an underpants gnome reference, I just forgot what that phase was. I'm sure someone will say it and I'll feel stupid. :)
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby michael7050 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:02 pm

RandomMerc wrote:And where did michael7050 run off to, speaking of which? YOU STILL HERE MICHAEL?

michael7050 wrote:In Memorial: Grim1812 - last posted December, last online March blah blah blah sad stuff...

I AM still here you know... :p

knucklekraken wrote:We've danced this dance before, Wolf.

Oh gods, not the irregulators again.. You guys are a publc menace!
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:14 pm

huray

welcom back michael
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:03 am

anyone heard something about ratha hes been awaw for quite some time, hope he is okay.
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games