Forum games go here.

Re: Arts

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 am

love um their getting better by the update :D
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:52 am

Little things can make a big difference. Might work on armour tomorrow.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dlover on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Got some stuff done, but been distracted quite a bit.

It's a bit pixelated... I scaled it by 200, so it shouldn't be.
Fixed
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby askstoomuch on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

like i said befor love um
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Is it cool to post other game art in here too Dlover?
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Go ahead Thinks. I said in the first post that others are more than welcome to post their own art. That way we may learn from each other... If there's really anything can can be learned from my work.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Nice one :)

I've got some stuff from my new game (in prep) I was going to share to keep my motivation going! All the sprites I used in the apprentices and a lot of really cool stuff from other games (including all of ecrs character sheets) are in the old art thread if anyone wants to see those, which I'll not bother moving over here. One thing I would mention about your sprites Dlover is that the level of detail in the hands is going to be a pain in the ass to keep up once you're running a game. It might be better to keep the detailed versions for close-ups / splash images (cos they look really good), but then to use simple stick-type limbs for the actual game. Up to you of course, just my 2p :)

Anyway, by way of a preview, here is the first image from my new game and a couple of locations:

Like I said, it's only about halfway drawn at the moment and I still need to figure out how the rules are going to work exactly etc. so it won't be ready anytime soon I don't think, but I'll keep you posted as it develops :)

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:50 am

I'm hoping to have the more common circumstances (mainly wielding) prepared when I don't have to force myself into a fit to get things finished properly. If I can actually get things like that done, then doing things in detail won't be a problem as often, though it definitely won't make it a breeze.

Closing the hand is easy enough, since all I have to do is flip the fingers over so they face into the palm, so I can make several gestures without too much trouble. The main one being a rather unkind gesture.

The hands and face are really the only things that I've put much detail into, and they're going to have quite a bit of work done whether they're detailed or not, so I think, why not make them look as good as I can?

I certainly won't be able to show bending of limbs as easily as the people who use stick figures do, and I envy them for that, but I've already taken a damn lot of time out of SC2 and put it into the models, so I'm hoping I don't have to resort to drawing something simpler. I can appreciate the fact that what you suggest, and probably most others think, would save me a lot of time and effort, but I can slack enough in school to get this stuff done and still get B+ to A+ on most every subject I have, so I'm not losing anything from putting the work in.

Plus the extra detail will make someone, somewhere happy, and I need a few hits on my good deed list if they're going to let me into hell.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:57 am

No that's cool, like I said they look really good :) I'm just too lazy for that level of detail!

Having a good bank of sprites will definitely be a help when it comes to the actual game as well - folk will always surprise you with weird / cool / funny things they want to do, so there'll always be plenty to draw to keep things novel anyway, but if you can have the standard ones done in advance it'll give you more time for the fun ones.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Theonewhoisodd on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 am

Someone else on the forums needs to do a traditional art game. I am the only one I think...

Extra-Dimensional shape-shifter with an affinity for confusion and mischief. Also I am a maniac...

Come lurk my game called The Forsaken.

Very first Bloodhound in Thuntworld Serial Killers.
Round 17 killer as Seth Bainwraith, fought off a lynch mob for 4 rounds until I purposely killed myself with a Trowel to complete the storyline of my kills.
Round 19 killer as Lesser Finger Horror, died in the first round but took the Ex-God SeeAMoose with me thanks to the Kaboomerang. (Thanks Warlock)
Round 31 killer as Forgath, died first round thanks to Vigilante justice...
Round 32 detective, found both killers fairly quickly.
Round 36 killer as FRGU, got hit with a computer error and thoroughly lynched.
Round 37 killer as Overlord, killed everyone and they didn't come back to life.
Theonewhoisodd
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:06 am

I could draw things with pencil + paper, but then my parents would query my use of the scanner and I'd have to go through the explanation of how I'm drawing pictures to use for a game that I'm running on a forum. The fact that I'm here wouldn't be a problem, but I don't really want to go through with that for the sort of quality the pictures would be. Though I'll give you an example of one picture I've scanned;

Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:47 am

While they're not necessarily traditional, WorstCase and BurnsBees both use tablets and hand-drawn stuff, I'm pretty sure.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby WorstCase on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:01 am

I''m not using a tablet. I'm drawing everything for the LTBH-game with the mouse.
- I've still problems with the resizing, though. For most of the rooms I've got to shrink the sprites down. And then they become quite blurred, no matter what. (At least I managed to turn off antialiasing by now.)
It wouldn't be a problem if I had to enlarge the sprites, but the rooms are that small.
Should I ever start a game of my own design, I'll definately make the rooms bigger.

The only thing I'm using 'traditional tools' for is my comics. I really need to finish the next page, but atm RL is keeping me too busy to patiently sit down and do all the inking, shading and 'finetuning'.
My first Goblins Fancomic 'Risks &Sideeffects':
http://www.acyn.net/RSE_main.html
The second fancomic 'Heimspiel' can be found here (as well as some other Goblins related fan-art):
http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... se_Comics/
!!!Heimspiel is back!!! At least for now.

And here you'll find the players progress map for the 'Let There Be Hats'-Forumgame:
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... g_02-3.png
WorstCase
Keenspot Despot

Postby WorstCase on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:16 am

Here were some attempts to start traditional-art-games, but none of them got that far.

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=113058

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=112771

add a http: to this one
//forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=113763
My first Goblins Fancomic 'Risks &Sideeffects':
http://www.acyn.net/RSE_main.html
The second fancomic 'Heimspiel' can be found here (as well as some other Goblins related fan-art):
http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... se_Comics/
!!!Heimspiel is back!!! At least for now.

And here you'll find the players progress map for the 'Let There Be Hats'-Forumgame:
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... g_02-3.png
WorstCase
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:31 am

Haven't forgotten about this. I just haven't made any major developments of late.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Theonewhoisodd on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 am

WorstCase wrote:Here were some attempts to start traditional-art-games, but none of them got that far.

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=113058

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=112771

add a http: to this one
//forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=113763

Don't know if it's a good omen but my game has made it longer than any of those three.
Extra-Dimensional shape-shifter with an affinity for confusion and mischief. Also I am a maniac...

Come lurk my game called The Forsaken.

Very first Bloodhound in Thuntworld Serial Killers.
Round 17 killer as Seth Bainwraith, fought off a lynch mob for 4 rounds until I purposely killed myself with a Trowel to complete the storyline of my kills.
Round 19 killer as Lesser Finger Horror, died in the first round but took the Ex-God SeeAMoose with me thanks to the Kaboomerang. (Thanks Warlock)
Round 31 killer as Forgath, died first round thanks to Vigilante justice...
Round 32 detective, found both killers fairly quickly.
Round 36 killer as FRGU, got hit with a computer error and thoroughly lynched.
Round 37 killer as Overlord, killed everyone and they didn't come back to life.
Theonewhoisodd
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:27 pm

Working on a human at the moment. Once it's presentable I'll be posting it along with a couple of additions to armours and weapons.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dlover on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:29 am

Eeh, I guess it's... Half decent. Sorry for the image being so small, but scaling at 200%, while not throwing off measurements, makes it rather pixelated by adding grey 4x4 squares in every corner, and I don't have the patience to go through and manually fix that.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:45 am

Don't resize the image. Select everything (Ctrl+A) and resize the selection. Then cut and paste it back.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:03 am

I hate Paint so much. -_-
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby knucklekraken on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:12 am

I'm not a huge fan of the hairstyle on the face on the far right. It might just be a personal thing, but it feels like it would look better with a hint of a ponytail behind the neck. Like I said, though, maybe it's just me. YMMV.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby m0rtimer on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:01 am

I didn't comment on the designs? Thought I did. I really need to stop reading through topics when I'm in a hurry then forget to actually reply to them later. >.>

Anyways, to me the humans looks a bit "off". Which is probally because the proportions from the basic goblin template vary so much.

Anyways, now the reason I'm here. I need a quick opinion here, on what looks better:

ImageImage

In case you can't tell, the second picture has been smudged to make the areas flow over in each other more, but I'm not sure what would be "better". :)
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby askstoomuch on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:15 am

i like the second one mort the look more natural then the round ones, but thats just me :D
but i would make the smuged ones a bit darker to reall show the diffrens between layers
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 am

Better for what?
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 am

askstoomuch wrote:i like the second one mort the look more natural then the round ones, but thats just me :D
but i would make the smuged ones a bit darker to reall show the diffrens between layers

Yeah, I know. I'll probally be changing that up a bit.

Better for what?

That... Is a very good question. I guess it must remain clear that there is an difference in height, but otherwise, just what looks pretty.

Also, I'm not gonna show relief through the entire map, just in the mountainy areas. And there are only three of em on the map. :shifty:

Though I could probally also distort between different areas, which I think should work out. (that brown and green for example... I'll try that once I'm done with actual work)
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games