The Pit of Death

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

The Pit of Death

Postby Warlock on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 am

The Pit of Death

Well, I think I'm just about ready to start my third game. This one is a little different than my first two. It still has some of the patented "Warlock" brand instant death traps that you all know and love, but there will also be the opportunities to fight in this game.
Another change from my previous games is that I am experimenting with a different style. I am departing from the primarily 2-dimensional style of LSN and ECR in favor of a psuedo-3D style which allows for 6 directions of movement: North, South, East, West, Up (ladder) and Down (ladder).
There will be some (although not many) weapons and armor available in this game. There are also a few special items, some of which serve no purpose but others which when used at the right time can mean the difference between life and death. It is up to you to figure out which is which.
I've decided against having a "List of Achievements" like I did in "The Pit of Danger". Believe me, I've got enough stuff to try and keep track of in this game.
There are some "wandering monsters" in this game. They will be moving randomly and they will open and close doors randomly. I have no idea where they might end up. I'll be starting with 1 monster, but as time goes on, more may be introduced. It is to your benefit to try and find the exit as quickly as possible.

Map:
The map for this dungeon is HUGE!!! 121 rooms total! If anyone wants to try an keep a map of this place, you are more than welcome to do so, but don't bother asking me to post it. Ain't gonna happen!

Story:
An army of goblins 1,000,000 strong marched across the land leaving nothing but desolation in their wake. That is... they did so until they ran a foul of a much smaller army of only 300 scantily clad humans who quickly reduced their numbers to but a handful. The few remaining survivors were gathered up and unceremoniously kicked into what one of the humans referred to as "The Pit of Death".

This is their story... the goblins' story, that is... not the humans. If you want to hear the humans' story, go pick it up at a Red Box or something.

How to Join:
To sign up, please state your character's name and choose skin and clothing colors. (All goblins will be wearing pants and a vest.)

I'm looking for at least 20 players. If I have more than 20 sign-up, I will randomly choose who survives the fall into "The Pit of Death" and who dies on impact.

DO NOT SIGN UP IF YOU CANNOT MEET THE UPDATE SCHEDULE (Action posts must be received each day Monday-Friday by 7:00 A.M. U.S. Eastern Time)

Sign-ups are open now! The game will start sometime next week.

Rules: Pretty much copied and pasted directly from one of ECR's games.

Starting
Goblins: 5/5 Hit Points; 1 ATK; 1 DEF.

Stats:
ATK (Attack) means how much damage you deal in melee combat. ATK works against the opponent's DEF and Hit Points. (Example: an ATK of 3 on a creature with 2 DEF and 5/5 Hit Points would pierce the DEF and take away 1 Hit Point.)
DEF (Defense) means how much damage you can absorb on each turn.
HP (Hit Points) indicates how hurt you are. You die at 0 HP, and you start off with a maximum of 5 HP.

Actions:

You may take two of three "acts" on each turn. These three acts are defined as follows:

Minor Action: Minor Actions include:
- Trading of items between characters who are in touch range of each other (amount of items traded is limitless). You only use a minor action if you GIVE an item (or any number of items) to another goblin. Receiving an item is a free action.
- Picking up one item (or a number of items that are very close together) from the floor or other area within your character's reach.
- Looting one item from a kill that just occurred. (Note: First pick on loot goes to those monsters involved in the fight. The first "first picker" to claim it gets the item. "First Pick" applies to only ONE item per turn.If everyone passes, whoever's first on cleanup gets it. Otherwise it falls to the floor.)
- Inspecting the environment. I will tell you more information about something you look at if you do this
- Moving to an adjacent room that you have already discovered.
- Talking to a creature.
- Any other item or ability that says it's a minor action.

Move:
Quite simply, you can move from the current room to another adjacent one. Your Move action (unlike your Minor Actions) also allows you to move to room you have yet to discover.
- Moving to another part of the same room is usually always a free action.

Major Action: These include:
- Attacking a creature
- Interacting with the environment (i.e. flipping a switch, pushing a table, opening a door).
- Most minor actions. Exceptions are Teller Healing and other actions that I deem to be unbalanced. If you're unsure about something, put in a conditional backup plan.
New rule: if you open a container, you automatically loot anything from it. Opening and looting from that container counts as one major action.

NOTE: While you can generally take these actions in whichever order you wish, if you chose to actually attack a creature, your turn ends there. You must structure your Minor Action or Move to happen before you attack if you want it to count. The same applies with Moving to an undiscovered room - you don't know what's in there, so you can't be expected to act on the same turn.. You may not take 2 of any one action twice in one turn.Note that Major Actions include most Minor Actions, and that Minor Actions include Moving to previously-discovered rooms. Because of this, you may investigate two objects/places in one room per turn, or "double move" so long as your first movement action is to an undiscovered room.

Inventory
You can generally carry an infinite amount of stuff in your pack (which is invisible). However, there is a limit as to how many pieces of spare equippable gear you can carry: 3 pieces.

Ending the Game
The game is over when all player characters are either dead or out of the dungeon.

Death
A character is dead when its hit points reach 0. Some traps are instant death traps while others might only do some portion of damage. All healing occurs BEFORE damage from Attacks. You are dead the moment you hit 0 unless something in the game explicitly overrides this rule.

Acts of the Game Master
Things are moving behind the scenes, and I'm not telling you every mechanic operating in the dungeon. By signing up to play, you are acknowledging that they may be a point where your character is injured or killed in a way that seems "unfair." I assure you that I value fairness very highly, but sometimes the consequences of game actions go beyond my control and can result in tragedy.

Spectators:
If you're a spectator, please keep your comments to a minimum and use the "spoiler" tags for them. This isn't because I don't appreciate people talking about the game, but it could get kind of crazy otherwise.

Update Schedule:
I will attempt to update every weekday morning at 7:00-9:00 A.M. Eastern Time. Skip days may happen, but I will try to post ahead of time to let you know when I can.

EDIT:
I almost forgot the most important rule. Thanks to m0rtimer for reminding me.

The DM reserves the right to kill you at any time!!!
Last edited by Warlock on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Warlock
Keenspot Despot

Re: The Pit of Death

Postby Wolfie21384 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:34 am

Can we have the same character as in Pit of Danger? If so I'd like to have my old character back

Laughs-at-random-things
#BF40000 skin color
#BF00FF clothing color

If not, change the name to RandomTwoPointOhMyGawd

She's the Great-great-great-great etc grandchild of Laughs-at-Random-Things.. she's also very jumpy.
Thuntworld Serial Killers
Rounds 5 & 30 Winner & DeliversDrinks, the Barmaid
Stop in for some ale, cider, or spirits! Guaranteed to have fun alive or dead!

Zombie Bait Finished.
ImageRunsLikeWind Deceased:Turn 62 Fugitives
Wolfie21384
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kide on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:36 am

Yay!

Feels the pain
Color: color=#4000BF
Cloth color: color=#80BF40
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Postby alopex on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:38 am

I dare to try, even if the random numbers hate me (i.e., never gotten into a game when players were chosen randomly).

Runs In Circles

Skin #008000
Clothes #FFBF40
alopex
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Warlock on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:40 am

Wolfie21384 wrote:Can we have the same character as in Pit of Danger? If so I'd like to have my old character back

Laughs-at-random-things
#BF40000 skin color
#BF00FF clothing color

If not, change the name to RandomTwoPointOhMyGawd

She's the Great-great-great-great etc grandchild of Laughs-at-Random-Things.. she's also very jumpy.

Yes, you can use the same character from the Pit of Danger.
Warlock
Keenspot Despot

Postby PicksUpSticks on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 am

Pokes-A-Bear
Skin color=#800080
Clothing color=#FF8000
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby BurnsBees on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:46 am

Devourer of Everything Worlds
Skin colour
Vest colour
Last edited by BurnsBees on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:51 am

i want to join warlock your games are the best
old pants
skin green
vest grey
Last edited by askstoomuch on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dusk9 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:58 am

Eaten-by-Rabbits
Skin - #808000
Vest - #00FF00

alopex wrote:I dare to try, even if the random numbers hate me (i.e., never gotten into a game when players were chosen randomly).

Me neither :(
Last edited by Dusk9 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby BurnsBees on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am

askstoomuch wrote:[size=annoying]i want to join warlock our games are the best [/size]

old pants
skin green
vest grey

Arrrgh, why must you yell so loudly.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 pm

TalksToSquirrels (Talks for short)
Skin color=#4800FF
Clothing color=#7FC9FF
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:08 pm

"Do you wish to join one of Warlocks game, on the off chance you get in the dice roll?"
- Yes
- Yes
- Hell yes

(I thought that small scribble was a notice saying "The DM reserves the right to kill you at any time". I am somewhat dissapointed it is not. :P)

Anyways, joining. I'll be FallsALot.
Body color: #BF0000
Shirt color: #400000
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kurik on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Oh god. I'm not really gonna sign up for another game, am I?

Yes, yes I am.

DiesInaPit #000040 with
Red vest #BF0000

Edit: changed skin color to make face easier to see.
Last edited by kurik on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby knucklekraken on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:32 pm

PlaysTheHamstring will wear an outfit this color.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby notimportant on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Grats on 3000 posts, Knuckle!

Expendable, colour #404040 and wearing a shirt of brightest #FF0000, somehow survived the slaughter to be kicked into the pit with the others.
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Yay! I'll chuck my name in the pot for this one.

Name: Tendency to Start Fires (Fires)
Body colour: #FF40FF
Vest colour: #004000
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby madmartin26 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:56 pm

awesome! :D

name: Wants To Be A Wizard
body color: #00BF00
shirt color: #0080FF
Studies Everything He Can Get His Hands On, Threads of Reality
Lives in the Forest, Capture the Flag
Thinks Too Much, Destiny Of The Stonetear Clan
Climbs Trees, The Awesomesword Wanes
madmartin26
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 pm

BurnsBees wrote:
askstoomuch wrote:[size=annoying]i want to join warlock our games are the best [/size]

old pants
skin green
vest grey

Arrrgh, why must you yell so loudly.

CUZ THEIR SO AWSOME I JUST HAVE TO SHOUT
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aelthas on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Warlock wrote: I assure you that I value fairness very highly, but sometimes the consequences of game actions go beyond my control and can result in tragedy.

Really?

Also, I'd like to play.
Easily-Distracted
Skin: #008040
Clothes: #00FFFF
Giggles Incessantly
HP: 5/5
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jacon on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Wears A Coat
Skin Brown
Clothes: Lime green
Name:"Wears-A-Coat ( Delve Version)
Hp: 3/5
Attack: 4 ( 3 plus warhammer. Two handed.
def: 2 +1 to slashing weapons( Helmet +1)

Wears-a-long-coat
HP: 5/5 HP
MP: 3/3 MP
ATK: 3 ( +2 two handed bone sword)
DEF: 1
INT: 1

I'm very interested in playing a goblin game. If you create a new one let me know
Come join my game The New Goblin Warriors. viewtopic.php?f=136&t=113403
Jacon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ziprath on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:45 pm

I would like to play please.

Leaps from shadows

Body: Red #FF0000
Vest: Orange #FF8000
The New Goblin Warriors
Scouts Ahead
6/6 Hp +5(Goblin) +1 (Tough)
ATK 7 +1(Goblin) +3(Duel Spears) +1(When using a spear-like weapon) + 1(Helmet) +1(Training)
DEF 6 +1(Goblin) +1(Helmet) +1 (Black wolf cloak) +1 (Tough) +2(Leather Armour)
Traits: Hunter, Spear mastery, First aid, Tough
Items: Backpack, flint and steel, 30ft rope. bedroll and a bottle. Holy symbol. Symbol of Kord, 79 gold, Potion of forest scent, purple vial
Ziprath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Quarg on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Made_Corn_Pop (Pops)
Goblin Color: #00BF80
Wears #BF0000

(You have to get the human movie from Netflix...Redbox isn't carrying Meet the Spartans, Journey to Nowhere anymore...)
Last edited by Quarg on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
HP: 5/5
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby RandomMerc on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Runs Into Koalas
Color: #000000
Wears: #FFFFFF
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Runs Into Koalas: Attack: 1 Def: 2(+1 Poisoned Barrel Lid), Health: 5/5
Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wildman on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:03 pm

SpeaksInHaiku comes
Wears white colors with pleasure
But has orange skin
Goblin Gladiators Campaign 2

Goblin Gladiators Campaign 1 is Complete.
Little Hands is currently in the Pit of Danger, and will be for quite some time.
Successful killer in TSK Round 24. Partner: KittiHello.
Co-winner of the TSK Lightning Round, along with SharesLoot.
Successful killer in TSK Round 33, with some help from SeeAMoose at the end.
Wildman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LicentiousDey on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I would like to play, yes!

Rabbits
Skin color: #FF4000
Shirt color: #000040

Guess who I'm going to eat...
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Goblins Games