The Labyrinth's Tests

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: The Labyrinth's Tests (Sign-ups open)

Postby Dlover on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 am

You awake in a room, crisp white and clean, with six seven others sitting in beds nearby, arranged in a circle. You cautiously sit up, wondering how you arrived in this strange place, and you note the others coming into consciousness as well, each slowly taking in their surroundings.

Soon after everyone has awoken, a man appears in the middle of the circle formed by the beds, flickering slightly, suggesting an astral projection instead of his actual presence, and examines each of you carefully, before speaking.
"I have brought you eight here to perform... Well, let's call it an experiment. The most powerful of the magi under my command have sifted through your minds to find your wishes for power. You are the few that I found acceptable.
"Upon my discovery of your wishes, you were altered, infused with magic that you beasts may not have before witnessed or accessed. You won't have full control of your powers yet, and must work towards learning the extent of them, working together to stay alive while you learn.
"This process is not without its downsides though. I cannot supply power without a price. In your case, you may have lack the strength you once had, leaving you insufficient in combat capabilities, and some of you may have been so unlucky as to have your mind fracture slightly. Not to worry though, as these defects should not leave you too vulnerable, and the presence of magic has likely replaced the need for weapons to defend yourselves... And possibly coherent thought.

Now, on to the aim of this experiment. Giving a being magical abilities is not a common occurrence. Yes, all beings are born with an innate magical awareness, but most are unable to tap into this, and the only real effects they feel are a slight prickling of the skin, which is their subconscious trying to warn them of the magic nearby.
You are the first group with whom I have tried the procedure of bringing forth this subconscious, giving you access to this power. The process has not had a chance to be refined, which is the cause for the side effects, and you may not be as powerful as a naturally gifted being, but there should be no permanent damage. Your memories may return given sufficient time, and your bodies will recover, grow back to their previous strength if you work hard enough.
You will be set to a series of tasks, which will hopefully be enough to challenge you, to encourage what is still locked to reveal itself. Now, before you become too enraged for my tampering, I am not simply abusing you, using you as testing dummies. I offer a trade of sorts. If you manage to make your way through the tests, then you will be free to go, to return to your families and villages, to keep your newfound power. In exchange, I shall be observing, learning. I hope to eventually find a way to optimise the process of accessing the inherent powers everyone has.
You may think I simply want to find a way to make my soldiers stronger, improve myself, but this is not so. My people have been facing danger for some time now, and this is the last resort to protect them. I have not the numbers to take my own men to test, and not the time to send word to others of my need for willing subjects, so I am forced to fall back on the like of you, who have no business being pulled into this."
You cannot be sure if the man is truthful or if he is trying to trick you into going through with this. There is no real option here though, so you'll just have to find out.

"An exit will shortly open in the northern wall, and you will be supplied with several staves, which will make it easier for you to channel your power, in the next room. I would suggest you get accustomed to the effects before you proceed any farther than the next few rooms."

At this, the projection vanishes, and a door opens in what you assume is the north wall shortly afterwards.

SPOILERS:Derp. I forgot about the stat change. Players have no natural attack, which is why it may have seemed like I was focusing a bit much on combat oriented spells. The amount of disabling spells that you guys have should carry you through fights though.
Last edited by Dlover on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:01 am

SPOILERS:Aww. You said two days... Is it too late to join with this idea? :cry:
Name: Sir Cheddar
Color:a nice cheddary orange #FFBF40 (if it is too close to someone elses color, please tell me so and I will try something different.
Element: Grilled Cheese (anyone played The Sims2? :D )
Spells: Summon grilled cheese sandwich (brings back HP), Cheese grease/bloaty belly full of cheese (makes enemy slip or impedes enemies attack/defense ability), Stench of quargel (stuns enemy), 16t block/wheel of cheddar (drops on/rolls over enemy and deals damage)
Last edited by YoungAndBeautiful on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:29 am

YoungAndBeautiful wrote:
SPOILERS:Aww. You said two days... Is it too late to join with this idea? :cry:
Name: Sir Cheddar
Color: Yellow
Element: Grilled Cheese (anyone played The Sims2? :D )
Spells: Summon grilled cheese sandwich (brings back HP), Cheese grease/bloaty belly full of cheese (makes enemy slip or impedes enemies attack/defense ability), Stench of quargel (stuns enemy), 16t block/wheel of cheddar (drops on/rolls over enemy and deals damage)

At this point I wasn't expecting anyone else to be signing up anyway. Yes, I can still slot you in. You'll actually be needed as a healer, since I completely forgot about healing while I was making the other spell lists. I'll work yours out tomorrow.

Edit: and if there is anyone else who wanted to wait for a bit before posting their details, go ahead and post 'em now. I've only posted the backstory so far, so it won't make any real difference.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 am

Yay! Thank you. May the cheese always be with you. :D
ATTENTION:

YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby BurnsBees on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 am

Dlover wrote:Flipping a coin it is then.

And the result is female.

Blows Hot Air (Burnsbees)
Element: Helium
Spells:
Floating: Increases height of jumping for 2 turns.
Cost: 1mp

Gust: A gust of helium throws the target against a wall, dealing 1d3 damage.

Locked:
Panic: converts oxygen in the target's body into helium for a turn. The lack of oxygen causes the target to panic. There is a 50% chance to attack a random creature present in the room, player or none, or disable the for the turn. One of the two effects will always occur.
Cost: 3mp

Depravation: stops the target from taking in oxygen for two rounds, disabling them, but the caster must maintain the spell for both turns.
Cost: 2mp per turn

Oh! I just thought about something, what about voice change?
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 am

Strides in Stars
"Pssh, I bet he didn't even look at any other people."
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby WorstCase on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 am

"My skull feels like some dwarfs are mining ore in there." Dives sits up and clutches her head.

SPOILERS:How many MP are we starting with btw.?
My first Goblins Fancomic 'Risks &Sideeffects':
http://www.acyn.net/RSE_main.html
The second fancomic 'Heimspiel' can be found here (as well as some other Goblins related fan-art):
http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... se_Comics/
!!!Heimspiel is back!!! At least for now.

And here you'll find the players progress map for the 'Let There Be Hats'-Forumgame:
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... g_02-3.png
WorstCase
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:09 am

Also, do we regain MP?
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby BurnsBees on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 am

"Lovely. We are smegging test dummies. That means we have to fight. Well, I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby askstoomuch on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 am

i feel cold freezes says and he follows his new friends into the next room
Last edited by askstoomuch on Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:14 am

Itchy scratches his arms while looking at the others. "Does anyone else hear that buzzing?"
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby PSychotic on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

"Aww!" Jack yawns, rising up and rubbing his sore arms. "Hmph. Just like he said. Anyone else do this voluntarily?" He says while walking to the door.
Shi' Arri, Decroi, Canton, Sicoh, Tig, Jack, and Mack.

The Dread Pirate Scarrrgh, Kobold Pirate ..... dead just like half his crew
Lisps, Goblin Defender ..... Feats: Improved Tackle 2, Tackle Stamina 2, Improved Dodging 1
That Nameless Guy, Undead Warrior ..... STR 5 DEX 3 CON 3 ..... HP ?/? ..... 4 Throwing Knives, Axe (+3), Heavy Leather Armor (5/5)
Shiny, Not So Dead Goblin ..... ATK 1 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5
Jack-Of-All-Trades, Lucky Goblin ..... ATK 0 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5 MP 5/5 ..... Spells: Buff/Debuff, Thief!, Acrobatic F@#king Pirouette!
Bringer-Of-New-Times, Goblin Teller ..... ATK 1 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5 ..... Spells: Heal

Hosting a Cave of Doom
PSychotic
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dusk9 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Loud jumps out of his bed and follows to others to the next room and grabs a staff.

"Does anyone else hear that buzzing?"

"Buzzing? Don't you mean that, sort of, whooshing sound? Also, why is everyone being so Loud! I can hardly hear myself think, you're all making so much noise!"
Last edited by Dusk9 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby kurik on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:16 pm

"Nope." Itchy follows everyone into the other room, and grabs a staff. "It's not a whoosh, it's a BBZZZZZZ and it's driving me nuts."
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
-George Carlin

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-Mark Twain

I thought this must be obvious to everyone else, as it seemed obvious to me; and that, if once it became apparent that we were on the edge, all the Great Powers would call a halt and recoil from the abyss.
-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Strides in Stars
Strides grabs a staff and follows the others.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Sir Cheddar will demonstratively stay where he is, just to find out what happens, then.
SPOILERS:(If he is even there yet..)
ATTENTION:

YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:23 pm

BurnsBees wrote:Oh! I just thought about something, what about voice change?

Well, I don't see how it would really help you, but I could add that as a 1mp spell.

Since I keep forgetting about stat things, I'm just going to post all my notes I have on stats right now:
Base player stats: 0 att, 1 def, 5hp, 5mp
Attack and defence can be gained by the use of equipment, hp restored via magic, and mp by meditation (2mp per round).
Combat is fairly basic. Att-Def=damage dealt, with a minimum of 0. Once a goblin reaches 0hp they are incapacitated and unable to act for two turns. Once these turns are over they will die, unless first receiving healing. Being attacked while incapacitated leads to death so long as the attack pierces your defence.
If healing is not available in two turns, any player can take a major action to bind their companion's wounds, nullifying the two-turn count.

Mp is drained when using spells. Depending on the power of the spell the caster will lose a different amount of mana, and when that hits 0, they are forced to rest for a turn to regain 2mp. If a spell is cast without a staff, then the spell will be successful, but the player will be instantly dropped to 0mp.

Equipment found hidden throughout the adventure is unknown, and the players are not told of its effects.

And this time I'll actually tell you if an enemy drops loot.

Edit: just found some spare time now, so I'll get to work on the spell list for Sir Cheddar and post it asap. and edit the opening so there are eight of you.

Edit 2:
Sir Cheddar (YoungandBeautiful)
Element: Grilled Cheese
Spells:
Summon Cheese: Summons a grilled cheese sandwich which players can consume to heal for 1hp.

Cheesewheel: a large wheel of cheese rolls over the target, dealing 1d3 damage.

Locked:
Cheese Golem: Summons a golem made of cheese.
HP: 5
def: 3
att: 1
Special: allies can eat part of the golem to heal 2hp, but loses 2 health when this is done.

Grease: Greases the floor, making enemies slide across the floor, adding a 50% miss penalty.

I'll get the update out soon.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BurnsBees on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Hot Air grabs a staff and grumbles out of the door.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dlover on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:23 pm

"Pssh, I bet he didn't even look at any other people."
"My skull feels like some dwarfs are mining ore in there."
"Lovely. We are smegging test dummies. That means we have to fight. Well, I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"
"I feel cold," freezes says and he follows his new friend into the next room.
Itchy scratches his arms while looking at the others. "Does anyone else hear that buzzing?"
"Buzzing? Don't you mean that, sort of, whooshing sound? Also, why is everyone being so Loud! I can hardly hear myself think, you're all making so much noise!"
"Nope. It's not a whoosh, it's a BBZZZZZZ and it's driving me nuts."
"Aww!" Jack yawns, rising up and rubbing his sore arms. "Hmph. Just like he said. Anyone else do this voluntarily?" He says while walking to the door, Strides, Itchy and Hot Air following.

The new room holds eight metal boxes in a row against a wall. There is a door leading east into a hallway, and one leading south, back to the previous room.

While all this is happening, Sir Cheddar decides to see what happens if he does nothing. Nothing happens.

SPOILERS:While I was making the update I realised that Hot Air and Sir Cheddar are too similar in colour. Could one of you change?
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: The Labyrinth's Tests (Sign-ups closed)

Postby Haragorn on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Strides in Stars
Strides attacks a box until it breaks.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Haragorn wrote:Strides in Stars
Strides attacks a box until it breaks.

While I enjoy the concept of forcing you to break open the boxes with your measly 0 attack, I never said they were bolted closed or anything.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Well, in that case:
Strides in Stars
Strides teleports a box as high up into the air as he can, so it will fall and break when it hits the ground.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby kurik on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Itchy will dodge the falling boxes, open one, and if it contains a staff he will take it and promptly use it to scratch his back.
-George Carlin

-Mark Twain

-Edward Grey
kurik
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dusk9 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Loud will also open one of the boxes (whilst avoiding the falling ones) and take the staff that is inside, giving it an experimental twirl and a few jabs in the direction of a bare wall (being careful that noone else is in the way).
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby WorstCase on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Dives too deep will look at Strides with pure poison in her gaze, when the box comes crashing down on the floor.
"Couldn't you be any louder? Some people have a mayor headache here you jerk!"
Dives will cautiously open one of the other boxes and takes a look inside. If anything good is in there she'll take or -in case of weapons and armor- equip it.
My first Goblins Fancomic 'Risks &Sideeffects':
http://www.acyn.net/RSE_main.html
The second fancomic 'Heimspiel' can be found here (as well as some other Goblins related fan-art):
http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... se_Comics/
!!!Heimspiel is back!!! At least for now.

And here you'll find the players progress map for the 'Let There Be Hats'-Forumgame:
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... g_02-3.png
WorstCase
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games