The Lost Chapter Clan

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: The Lost Chapter Clan

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 pm

"If that 'diplomacy skill' crap is your way of telling me you can't do without me, then I'm you're man, Worst." says Shakes with a wink, leering at her. Worst rolls her eyes and sighs. "Besides, there is a damsel in distress to rescue, so who better for the job than me? Drags, how about you tag along, too? We could use someone with healing skills to be on the safe side. We did so well with the warlock, never break up a winning team, eh?"

SPOILERS:I hope this does Shakes justice, I'm not sure if he would try his "charm" on Worst. But from what i've read in the readers clan thread, he's pretty full of himself. :lol:
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby BurnsBees on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:07 am

"WHATEVER." Drags sighs.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:16 pm

“Then it’s decided” concluded Chieftess Dresses the previous discussions. “You five go after that lead, trying to find Essence and get her here. Breaks, Spits and Always will be searching the nearby forests for anyone or anything that might be able to cure a damaged tree. Talks, Slings and I will be staying at the clearing, keeping Gathers from harm.”

Slings, who could relate to the state of mind Tracks must have been in, all too well, lay a hand on Tracks shoulder, looking him in the eye and trying to give him a encouraging, reassuring smile. “Don’t worry, we can work this out.”
“You know what the last thing was she said to me before we went to the tower? ‘It will be ok, I promise.’” Tracks said with a wry, mirthless smile. “So please, don’t promise me you’ll keep her safe.”
“All right, I won’t.” Slings heaved a sigh. “Well then, all there’s left to say would be ‘good luck.’ Good luck to you.” They shook hands. “Thanks. And good luck to you, too.”

The goblins said their good byes to each other and went on their respective ways.
ATTENTION:

YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:27 pm

About a month, a hop, skip and a boat ride (don’t ask!) later the group of Tracks, Worst, Drags, Shakes and Potions returned, with Overpowering Essence in their tow. The travel itself had taken most of the time, as did some unforeseen, but necessary side tracking. The orcs themselves actually didn’t pose that much of a problem, or a threat, their numbers were small, and most of the time they were just blankly staring into space. They hadn’t objected to Essence leaving.

Sadly the others, while successfully guarding the tree, had failed to find someone able to help with plant healing, and the tree was more or less in the same condition as when they had left, but at least some of the damaged spots were covered with sap, and the leaves that hadn't been burnt were still lush and green, even though some other trees already had begun to color their foliage in for the closing arrival of fall.

Essence took a good, long look at the oak, swearing under her breath and wearing a frown. “My poor child, what has that evil man done to you?” she mumbled as she ran her hand lovingly along the seared bark of the stem. “I’ll need various ingredients for the ritual to free her, as well as to cook up some healing supplies to take care of her as soon as she turns back.”

The clan was eager to help in finding them to finally be able to free Gathers, and so the preparations could soon begin. Essence claimed that she needed solitude, and that the others should wait in the woods. Since the ritual would take a lot out of the old goblin female, she would need help with handling Gathers’ body after her reversal, though, and Tracks volunteered and was chosen for this task.

Essence painted symbols onto the tree and the clearing, sat cross-legged for hours, sometimes meditating, sometimes chanting, and now and then standing up to pace around the tree spreading various liquids, smoke or powders. When it was time, she made a sign to Tracks that he should come over and be ready to take Gathers to a cot Essence had set up, surrounded by various herbs and other supplies, once she had reversed to her true form.

The whole tree was aglow with a sick purple shine and wisps of mist, a trick of imagination making them spawn claws, teeth and leathery wings, hovered all about. The electrical sparks in the wound of the tree increased in frequency as well as in intensity. Then, with an earsplitting crackle and a flash of red light, the spell was undone. A bolt of that red energy sprang from the tree to Tracks’ forehead, stunning him momentarily, along with the shock of how Gathers now looked. He needed all his dexterity to catch her collapsing body in time before it would have hit the ground, hard.

This was not the lovely form he remembered, everything seemed wrong in some way or another. Her body was covered over and over with bruises, burns and scars, her limbs stood off in weird angles, as if they had been broken by brute force or twisted by some maleficent magic. Most of her hair was gone, what little was left stood on its end next to the angry red skin of her injured head. Her shirt, torn to shreds revealed some of her chest, and it was bearing the same gaping wound as the tree stem had worn, with the edges frazzled and burned up and sparks traveling from side to side. But the mere wood of the oak had been now replaced by flesh, bones and organs, some of them clearly visible, others barely covered by scabs; it was not a sight for the squeamish. Her right hand was just as charcoal black and skeletal as the warlock’s right hand – the one from which crumbling fingers Worst had pried the unicorns tear out of - had been.

As she laid eyes upon Tracks, Gathers’ face, forced into grimaces of agony by the pain she felt, lit up a little with but the shadow of a smile. “Tracks, you came back for me! And you’re safe, unharmed even! Thank you for letting me know that, now I can pay my debt to nature in peace.”

Tracks’ heart sank and his mouth turned down involuntarily as he heard her say that, but he tried to smile at her and be encouraging. “Don’t talk like that, I brought Essence with me, she will make you right as rain in no time.” He gently let her down onto the cot and turned around to the healer, only to find her standing there, unmoving, drooling, with the same hollow mindless stare that most of the orcs had worn. Tracks' face fell as panic took hold of him, and he grabbed the old gobliness at her shoulders, trying to shake her to her senses. “Damn it, Essence, snap out of it! Gathers needs your help, NOW!” but, alas, to no avail.

“This can’t be happening!” He frantically looked over the medical supplies to find something that could help, but there were no labels and he could not make head or tails of them. He knelt down next to Gathers, whose condition was visibly and rapidly deteriorating and in his desperation tried to cast cure minor wounds on her, if only to stabilize her for long enough to get some other way of help, but he could feel the positive energy of the spell get sucked away by the magic wound in Gathers’ chest, along with Gathers’ very life force.

Gathers lifted her left hand to reach for Tracks' face, “I am sorry Tracks, -“ she was seized by a coughing fit and, despite her hurriedly putting her hand in front of her mouth, a fine rain of bloody droplets sprayed his face. He flinched, but less to protect his eyes from the droplets than because of the pain it caused him to see Gathers like that.
When she was able to, she continued: “…it looks like I will not be able to stay true to my promise.” She gently stroked his cheek. “I only wish we would have had more time…” A lump in his throat, making it impossible for him to reply, Tracks clasped her hand, softy pressing it to his cheek with his own, watching helplessly as the warm light, that usually made her eyes shine, grew dim and cold and her now rattling breath became slower and slower until it finally stopped altogether. He felt a sharp pointy pain driven into his heart like a needle and moments later it was as if his whole body had gone numb. “No, Gathers, don’t go!” whimpered Tracks and flung himself onto Gathers’ now lifeless body.

He sensed a movement beside him and the voice of Essence, somehow sick and twisted sounding, spoke to him: “I told you, I’d get to you through her. You didn’t think I’d let a petty little thing like my own death stop me?” As Tracks looked up, he saw the old Gobliness with the same evil, mad, icy blue glow in her eyes that the warlock had had. She had grown in size, too, and was now towering over the two goblins, and shrilly laughed an evil cackle. In his agitated state of mind, Tracks stood up in front of the healer and pounded his fists against her chest again and again, his eyes closed, screaming his anger about his failure to save Gathers into the world.
ATTENTION:

YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:30 pm

When Tracks finally had no more strength left to keep on beating or yelling, he noticed that something was different. His forehead was aching, just at the same spot the bolt of energy had hit him, and his hands hurt from all the pounding, but when he opened his eyes, he found himself standing in front of a tree, the bark slightly ensanguined where Tracks' fists had hit it.

He felt it more than he saw it: A comforting warm golden and green glow of light was cast from behind him, shimmering in the night, easing the dark thoughts in his mind and gently reaching out to his soul. He turned around and couldn’t believe his eyes. It was Gathers, the way he remembered her: unharmed and beautiful; only her hair was now waist long, and somehow her whole appearance was unreal, luminous and translucent. She looked at him in a caring way and smiled.

“Is this a dream?” Tracks asked as he approached the guise, afraid of what the answer might be. “If this is a dream, it’s a good one.” Gathers replied quizzically and reached out to caress his cheek. The touch was somewhat cool and strangely incorporeal, but nevertheless gentle and fond, and Tracks nuzzled towards her hand, savoring the sensation, immensely enjoying the feeling of her tender touch again after what he had just experienced.

“What you saw was but one possibility of the things that might or might not come to pass. It is within your power to change them for the better. What you saw can even help you in doing so. Fear, doubt, hesitation and distrust in your own abilities are your worst enemies now, don’t give into them. I know that you will save me, for I have seen the strength of your soul and the kindness of your heart. I have every faith in you, but you need to have faith in yourself, too.” She gently pulled him down to kiss his forehead and the pain there was suddenly gone.
“You also need to be on your guard, as a couple of dream creepers have chosen you as their prey. They are parasitic demon like creatures, inducing nightmares in their victims, living off the consequent suffering. I cannot help you further with that, but I talked to the other trees and they told me about a young hawk, which has an unusual affection for being around humanoids. I sent her your way, maybe you can befriend her, her name is Breeze.”
“I’m afraid I cannot stay much longer, it’s just too hard and I’m exhausting what little strength my body has left too fast.”
She held onto his cheek, unwilling to let go, until her whole body slowly, but surely dissolved into thin air. Her voice was a mere whisper, just enough for him to hear as he was straining his ears to make out her departing words: “Remember, I’ll always be with you in your thoughts.”

Hours later, when the sun was up already, Tracks awoke to the screech of some kind of bird of prey, he was still too sleepy to make it out exactly. He thought he could still feel the touch of Gathers' hand on his face, but when he reached for his cheek with his finger tips, he found an oak leaf stuck to it, which must have been blown there by the wind. He sighed. Maybe it all had been but a dream.

On a nearby tree a young hawk was feeding on something, a leathery dark gray wing with a claw on the bent dropped to the ground. Tracks went to investigate, and as he examined it closer, it didn’t look like any bat wing he had ever seen. Tracks instinctively touched his forehead and felt a tiny little bump, like an insect bite.
He looked up at the hawk and it promptly interrupted it's meal to look back at him, the curiosity in Tracks’ eyes mirrored in those of the bird.
“You wouldn’t happen to answer to the name of Breeze, would you?” The hawk tilted it's head, focused on Tracks and gave off a little screech.
ATTENTION:

YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Tracks cocked his head in response to the hawk, taking a closer look at her features. She was a small hawk, about as tall as the distance from his hand to his elbow, with a wingspan about twice that distance. Her feathers were an attractive mix of black, rusty-red, and blue. He continued to talk amiably to her, attempting to keep her calm as he stepped quietly closer.

“Such a beautiful hawk, you are. Are you looking for a friend? I could use a friend, especially one as colorful as you. Kestrels have always been one of my favorite birds. Care for a snack, friend?”

With these last words, Tracks quickly snatched a lizard from the trunk of a nearby tree. The hawk eyed his catch interestedly. Tracks placed the lizard upon his upper arm, holding it out to the hawk. The hawk spread her wings and flapped quickly, then soared to a landing on his forearm, quickly snapping up the lizard, then turning her eyes upon Tracks.

“I’m not sure if that dream or vision or whatever you want to call it was real or not, but I think the name Breeze fits you very well. How about it, can I call you Breeze?”

The hawk chittered happily, then began preening her feathers.

Tracks smiled for a moment, then his face grew serious. “Gathers, I think that at least parts of that dream were real, and if you’re still there somewhere, I want you to know that we won’t fail. We will be back with Essence, soon. Just stay strong.” After receiving no response, Tracks sighed. Then, unexpectedly, a breeze kicked up, and an oak leaf blew against his face. Tracks grabbed the leaf before it could get away, staring at it in wonder.

“Come on, Breeze.” Tracks smiled. “We’ve got a damsel to save.”
Current Games:
Clan Rampage - GM - Come check it out!
Capture the Flag - Nose-In-A-Book
The Awesomesword Wanes - Thinks Twice - Teller/Heal-Bitch
The Clan of the Connected Mesh - Casts the First Stone
The Lost Chapter Clan - Follows Tracks - Lvl 4 Ranger
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:33 am

Within instants Patch of Fur, who, up until now, had been cautiously hiding from the unknown hawk in a nearby bush, mutated into a furry ball of jealous fury, ran over to Tracks in a mad dash, rushed up onto the goblin’s arm on which the bird was not sitting, puffed up his fur so he looked twice his normal size and angrily clicked and bickered and squeaked aggressively at the bird, slashing his tail like a whip and hopping up and down like crazy.
SPOILERS:I personally have witnessed such behaviour in a park in real life with a squirrel “attacking” a dog the rough size of a wolf exactly like that. I couldn’t believe it either, at first, but having seen it with my very own eyes, I finally had to.

The hawk was taken aback from a prey animal to act towards her like that, and was about to take off into the air, but when Tracks sternly looked at the squirrel and matter-of-factly said “Patch, if you don’t get along with Breeze, you’ll have to stay with Potions.”, he could feel her weight, that had almost left his arm completely, come back gradually as she stopped flapping her wings and settled down again. There must have been something in his voice that reassured her it was safe to stay.

Due to Tracks’ reprimand, Patch had gotten a little quieter and calmer. Eventually he stopped the jumping and the noise and with only his tail flicking now and then, curiosity won Breeze over. Her feathers all ruffled and her wings half spread to, in kind, impress the cheeky squirrel with sheer size, she made a few tentative steps towards Tracks’ elbow joint, closer to Patch, while her keen eyes were locked on Patch as she measured him up good, making her point clear that if he got on her bad side, he was but a tasty morsel of meat to her. Then she folded her wings.

“Breeze, this is Patch of Fur. You will not eat him, nor hurt him. Patch, this is Breeze. Gathers sent her – I think – so please be nice to her.”
The squirrel looked at Tracks for a moment with a mix of guilt, understanding and reproachfulness on his little face and then, as if this was the most normal thing in the world, walked over to the kestrel, rubbing affectionate against Tracks’ face, as he passed by, and smelled and sniffed at Breeze all over. The hawk remained perfectly still, letting Patch get away with it, even as he cautiously placed a paw on the birds chest.

Tracks watched the whole scene somewhat tense, as he was not sure what he was supposed to do, if any of the two animals were to hurt the other. Gathers would be very disappointed if Patch got hurt, or even worse, killed, and Breeze, who seemed more intelligent than most of her species, which made Tracks want to tame her almost more than the thought that Gathers might have sent her, might get scared away by educational measures. Besides, it would probably be less than fun to be the fighting ground of a hawk and a squirrel, who both had sharp claws and teeth or a beak.

In the blink of an eye, it was all over. Patch had dived for the left over tail of the lizard and hightailed off of Tracks’ arm into the underbrush with his booty. Breeze had taken off after him, and now it was her turn to clamour and scold at the rodent, hovering in the air above the bush she suspected him in. But somehow Tracks sensed: this wasn't a declaration of war. It was the beginning of a most unusual friendship.
ATTENTION:

YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 am

Ok, since the forum here will "close down" (whatever that means exactly) with feburary, I saved quotes from every last post in this thread into a word file for my personal use (took me 6 hours :o ). In case any of you is interested in continuing the story, just PM me (GathersIngredients is my nickname there) in the new forum, and I'll see what I can do. :D

SPOILERS:Whoot, 1000th post! Figures I would reach a milestone just before the whole forum moves... :lol:
ATTENTION:

YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to Goblins Games