Goblins: Civilization

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby SuperVaderMan on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Finest Hour
A small team of goblins comprised of combatants and some engineers familiar with the salvaged dwarf machines is tasked with hijacking the dwarven water tank. They will use a combination of Arrows of Armor Piercing +3 and Red Goop to kill the occupants and enter the tank, and from there the engineers will take over and focus the tanks weapons on the dwarves while the combatants fend off any boarders. This will likely be a suicide mission, and if things get too hairy one of the engineers will focus blasts from the Cymbals of Thunderclapping through the tank's main cannon onto the dwarf army until the cannon is unusable.
Hats (Complete)
Bleeds Profusely
Lance & shield user, gnome racist, pikmin captain, and conqueror of the mouse hole.
SuperVaderMan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PicksUpSticks on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:23 pm

C D K
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby D34dlock on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Pick Three battle plans for the "Final Battle" of Dwarf vs. Goblin. Three of these are TPKs; if two out of three of the choices are a TPK, that will be all she wrote...

A) Favor Swarming tactics over technology, relying on the kobolds to be at the front, followed by the goblins, and supported by air power and casters with a readied action and elevation bonus. Simple Tank and Spank, supported by the ogres and jaguaradons.NO. swarm tactics work best when we out number the enemy & that is not true right now. TPK.

B) Favor the intimidation factor. Use the Battleaxe's Fist as an opening volley to get the army's attention, with various illusions from the casters on board to make it look like there's more than one ship approaching. While the dwarves turn toward the ship and aim any hidden surprises at it, the Great Metal Dragon flanks them from behind.Might be good

C) Favor casters weakening the dwarves first before closing. You've got quite a LOT of casters in the kobold ranks, elite and otherwise; if the casters do a fighting withdrawl while the swarmers do their thing, the dwarves will focus on getting to the casters (and healers), losing a lot of fighters to the swarmers in the process.Magic can tip the balance.
D) Favor Ranged attacks over swarming, such as with your archers and Wind Walkers. You've got the benefit of knowing the terrain and can pick the best places to ambush with nets, crossbows, Wind Walkers, and the like.Yes. Casters are ranged also. D & C work well together. But D sounds stronger by itself.
E) Leave the battle in the hands of your elites, giving them the majority of the combat. Fluffles, the Water Dragon, and even the Water Goddess will have quite the excercise run, but while the elites will wipe out dwarves left and right, the swarmers can flank from all sides, slowly pressing inward and crushing them.Our elites are powerful but not that powerful.
F) Favor Magic Items over physical force. You've got quite a few magic items here, and used at the right time, they can kick out the supports from under the dwarven army. Hell, even trick a dwarf into drawing from the Deck of Many Things and hope karma slaps them silly.I have no problem using as many magic Items as we can as the opportunity arises.

G) Send a well-supplied force back up to the High Mountain Village. Magma City isn't the only place that needs defending, even if it is unlikely the dwarves will want to go that far. There is quite a lot of intel in the Mage Caves that just can't be disturbed or moved...No. The mage caves have a concrete shield door to make it like a bank vault. It will take time for them to break in. The stuff in the Mage caves can be burned if it comes to that. No need to increase the protection.

H) Withdraw into the city proper, using Bathes-In-Flames to turn up the heat, assisted by pyromancers and hydromancers to maintain the balance and fry the dwarves that don't get fried by steam traps and otherwise. Deathscratcher's knowledge of death can have him "bleed" off the heat, keeping things cool for the goblins and kobolds.No. Too draining on our casters.

I) Favor air power. The dwarves have had a problem with it in the past, and your bombing skill has only increased. Plus, they don't have the Mechanical Phoenix to cause a headache with.We don't have much left & what we do have should be used against their airship. & they have defenses against them now.

J) Set up landslides on the way in, burying the dwarves in their trenches and on the paths. By wrecking the ground the dwarves have to travel on, that will slow them down enough for swarmers, Wind Walkers, and the Great Metal Dragon to start a REAL rampage through the ranks.This is a good idea.

K) Use the Life Ore to age the Water Dragon. Dragons live for thousands of years, and the battle will likely be over before old age catches up with him...Dragons don't ever die from old age so no problems there, but it won't have the experience/levels it needs to be a real threat. Feeding it after the war will be a problem also.

D,F,J
D34dlock
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby alavar on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:48 am

C) Favor casters weakening the dwarves first before closing. You've got quite a LOT of casters in the kobold ranks, elite and otherwise; if the casters do a fighting withdrawl while the swarmers do their thing, the dwarves will focus on getting to the casters (and healers), losing a lot of fighters to the swarmers in the process.
D) Favor Ranged attacks over swarming, such as with your archers and Wind Walkers. You've got the benefit of knowing the terrain and can pick the best places to ambush with nets, crossbows, Wind Walkers, and the like.
G) Send a well-supplied force back up to the High Mountain Village. Magma City isn't the only place that needs defending, even if it is unlikely the dwarves will want to go that far. There is quite a lot of intel in the Mage Caves that just can't be disturbed or moved...
alavar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Between interviews/exploration/writing several articles for the SL blog I write for on occasion (so my editor can pick and use one on a slow news day), IRC fiddling around (the bigger stuff comes tomorrow then I colorize it up with color codes and we should be good to go), Real Life in other ways, and me raiding tonight), I'm not going to be able to get the post up until after raid (I have other plans if they skip me over). I have the outline written though, so I'm going to lock the votes now. B,C,D are the choices, with K missing the cut by a hair (which is what I would have done because DRAGON and all).

Nice planning, BlackTalons. Quite a lot to think about and way too much to accurately describe it all in a post when I get to writing it, but I saw "lava trench" as a summary as Serne's post and that gave me an idea.

I'll get to the post when I can! :)
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm

610.11 --- the buildup: Creativity's shot at the moment but I want something to show for all the patience you've shown me, so I'm building up for the big fight with this post, and will post the second half when I'm not bogged down (though I'm slowly clearing the way against this pile of RL crap, just the IRC stuff, one interview for the blog, and one or two RL things to go). Not ALL of the delay is to my own laziness :P :D The three TPKs were D (me being an asshole, because it was the obvious response), G (predator-prey response, you "run", they chase and overrun), and H (outmuscled in the ways of magic in that case). I was going to make J a TPK over H (because I like H's potential), but nah.

It's likely that I'll write at least -some- of the war post in notepad during downtime between raid attempts, as the bosses take about 10-15 minutes to down apiece and if we wipe, it takes a few minutes to get re-situated.

------------------------

It's a very cold morning as a late fall rain drenches the ground. Goblins and kobolds everywhere are putting the last minute touches on the plans to eliminate the dwarves long before they reach Magma City.

Final plans are decided upon. As the dwarves advance, the Great Metal Dragon will herd them toward the beach where the Battleaxe's Fist will rise out of the water for an "opening statement" the dwarves are not likely to soon forget. At the same time (using the teleport rings), a goblin demolition team will first go to the Battleaxe's Fist and then to the Water Tank while the Water-Fire Conduit is triggered, trying to mire it. The demolition team has orders to capture it for the goblins and to use the Cymbals of Thunderclapping out of the main barrel, and to throw it into the Conduit if capture proves impossible. The Conduit will close halfway, shearing the tank in two and eliminating it from the situation. There is also talk of firing the Crystal of Bloodshattering through the tank into the dwarven army.

Then the dwarves will be herded along paths with "easy routes" cut off by traps and trenches lined with spikes; while the dwarves negotiate rocky terrain designed to slow them down, the Turtle Turrets (having a readied action and an elevation bonus on a nearby cliff) will be neatly lined up and ready to bombard them while the Wind Walkers play the role of air support. Pockets of important-looking dwarves will get a gift of greed-painted "goblin totems" (cheap trinkets shaped by Shapes-Steel and Throws-Sticks-At-Large-Bugs) thrown at them from the air support. While -that- infighting goes on, the casters and ranged support opens fire, leaving the dwarven casters scrambling and allowing your swarmers to do their job unhindered.

At the last minute, some goblin scouts report that the dwarves are ready for you ranged-wise; many of the best spots have already been taken over by dwarven scouts with explosive mines; it appears that they have somehow gotten their claws on their own version of Red Goop and have trapped heavily all the best spots (dwarves ain't so good with ranged, so they decided if they couldn't use 'em, neither could you). The mines defy goblin explanation, being a combination of alchemy, technology, magic, and something you can't quite identify... until Deathscratcher identifies a buildup of death energy in one of the mines brought for analysis. If the mines explode, it's Necrotic Blight and worse all over again. He can remove the affliction, but would have to treat affected goblins quickly, otherwise risen dead could assault the goblins from behind. Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes instead puts him on the front lines to act as a scare tactic. Unleash the biggest tricks he has first to act as a morale suppressant, then retreat back to Magma City to help Shaman Hisselvriss with something he terms "a little surprise for the dwarves."

As there are too many trapped spots, the plans change instead to have the swarmers charge down from where the Turtle Turrets are and act as a "swinging blade", charging through the ranks of the dwarves and "cutting" off a portion of their front ranks by cutting a swath through them (like cutting a reed in segments). The cut-off portion of the ranks could be focused down by elites and ranged from across the trenches dug along the path, and by the time the "swinging blade" runs back up the hill to the Turtle Turrets, another "portion" of the dwarven forces will have been cut to be focused down. Any dwarven forces aiming to swarm the Turtle Turrets will be met with slingapult-flavored vengance, as slingapults have been constructed on the opposite cliff and the ground near the Turtle Turrets marked specifically as pinpoint targets. You estimate that of any forces that -make- it to the Turtle Turrets, only 30% will actually beat the 'pults.

What dwarves aren't knocked out by the Turtle Turrets will have another obstacle to contend with. Several trenches have been dug into the ground, many of them concealed or covered with boards or leather tarps. Many of these pits are filled with goblin warriors, kobold casters, wolves, spikes, the works. Others have a new concoction sprinkled into them thanks to Talks To Weeds. Through constant experimentation, Talks-To-Weeds has developed an extremely flammable root powder that floats on the surface of water. By putting up "walls of burning water" (which, of course, have quite a bit of steam attached to them) that Jumpspeed will then fan out and blow towards the dwarves, the plan is to slow the dwarves enough for the Great Metal Dragon to rip into them. In the meantime while the dwarven casters are tasked with putting out the fires (enhanced with Magical Reflection Powder as to make it not so easy to dispel), the Water Dragon and Fluffles flank anything that remotely looks like an elite unit. Someone jokes about using the Water Dragon to air-drop Fluffles on top of the dwarves, because "everything is air-droppable at least once."

Should the dwarves bypass the trenches, elite groups of elven casters are waiting for them about three miles from Magma City, with the strongest casters at a central command center built to look like an important target. Rings of trenches with choke points and bridges have been set up around this command tent (it being long-evacuated via Dimension Door and Teleport spells before the dwarves reach it), which are filled with both Burning Water... and magma. The "earth rift goblin" (I don't think we ever gave him a name, let's call him Swallows-Gravel) has used the transmutation gloves to "dig" a bunch of tunnels leading away from Magma City, and using the power of the Life Ore many of the pyromancers have gotten the magma to flow upward and away, defying the laws of physics as it all flows into these trenches (to erupt up in REAL walls of flames when the dwarves get close).

Chieftess Hronk's main branch of ogres (on the jaguaradons) are holding back for if the dwarves reach close to Magma City. While dwarves have bonuses against large creatures, they're not expecting the Jaguaradons and that will lead to more dwarven deaths before things get serious. At the rear of your army are all the honor guards, the council of elders, Sniffs-Sand, Shaman Hisselvriss (who STILL has a shit-eating grin on his face) and everyone else of importance, guarded by as many steam traps, Counterine bombs, and the like that could be spared. A second escape route with a dummy lead-off is planned (so as to make it seem like you fled towards the drow far beneath you, which will give the dwarves all kinds of trouble if they explore that far), with the Ethereal Rhapsody at the Reinforced Underwater Cave as a meeting point for fleeing if things go really really bad.

As the last of the defenses are set in place, word reaches the highest ranks of goblin and kobold-kind... the dwarves have begun their final march... and it seems that they've brought a lot of humanoid prisoners and slaves with them (courtesy of teleport spells from the wizards of Herp) this time --- they're herding them ahead of them as living shields. The goblin clergy has been dispatched with Sniffs-Sand at the helm to whip them into a Mags-filled frenzy, so that "it is better to die destroying captors than by being slaves to them", and of course those who escape mean more warriors for you.

(To Be Continued... :D :evilgrin: )
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby alavar on Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:51 am

I am happy to see our elven allies :)
alavar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:00 pm

alavar wrote:I am happy to see our elven allies :)

You didn't think I'd leave them out of this, did you? :)

Post to come in the wee hours of the mornin' --- doing some other things before I raid. It's about half-written right now, mostly notes and what happened to Flips-Six-Ways-At-Once. Then I'll let it sit until wednesday (as wednesday is the only day there's no raid) and slap up 610.12 then.

EDIT at 1 AM: Go to hell, BSOD. Go to a Dwarven Hell, at that. note to self start saving files dammit. Working on the post from scratch >_< If I don't finish it tonight (I'll work a couple hours on it, but it's a LOOOOOONG battle), I will tomorrow, before the window of opportunity closes and RL tries to eat my face in again.
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:32 am

610.11: The Battle, Part I. Much more to come, so it might be a while yet before we see 610.12. I'll post the next chunk when I can; RL is now beginning to eat my face in again.

The dwarves are marching in what you recognize as minature "anvil" formations, no more than fifteen dwarves to an Anvil. The "Hammer" (commander) of each anvil is at the center, with a layer of the "Forge" (elites) next and the regular "Strength" of the anvil thereafter. The front Anvils are marching many chained up groups of humanoid slaves in front of them to act as living shields, and Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes laments that the only way to destroy a dwarf's resolve is through colateral damage. There's no way to easily get to them otherwise; they're too iron-willed for charm spells, bombing runs with the Wind Walkers will only blow -everything- up, and that goes double for the Battleaxe's Fist. Even the "swinging blade" plan wouldn't work well; the goblins don't have the precision needed to make it work.

The dwarves march into a large area of beachfront, their war-drums reaching the goblin army loud and clear... and a series of goblin pyromancers launch a syncronized Dancing Lights in dwarven glyph-script, the combined glowing colors of several mages insulting the collective mothers of the dwarven army and warning them that the ocean is going to eat them. At that time, the Great MEtal Dragon appears from over a hill and begins spitting Red Goop and Counterine explosives everywhere, splattering the dwarves and forcing them to move towards the water to get out of range. The living shields in front of those that are breaking and running appear to have lost the will to fight, as when the dwarves begin running from the breath attacks as it charges downhill on wheels (did someone put -roller skates- on that Great Metal Dragon's feet?!) they're left standing there dazed, confused and afraid.

Many of the goblin warriors rush forward to save their brethren, but those dwarves that weren't surprised by the Great Metal Dragon (and those who were watching for it and had crossbow-grappling hooks at the ready for its feet) immediately unload their OWN crossbows and blades into them --- they're not about to let your ranks swell with rescued prisoners. This only infuriates the goblins on the front line into a berserker rush, and the two armies' front lines clash time and time again as the Battleaxe's Fist rises up out of the water and lets loose with a volley. The first few shots rip up the beachfront with visible waves of sound, the ripples moving through space and knocking both dwarf and goblin about. They don't have the range to hit the Great Metal Dragon as crossfire, but some genius put ROLLER SKATES on the dragon's feet. Whomever's driving that thing is wonderfuly adapting, spinning about and using its tail to knock whole rows of dwarves down, but if it's grappled with enough crossbows, it'll be pulled down and rendered inoperative.

Meanwhile, on board the Battleaxe's Fist, the goblins prepare for the Water Tank's eventual arrival. When it's spotted via Long Range Eyes, more Dancing Lights and simple elemental spells are thrown into the sky in order to communicate its location and approximate distance. The signs in the sky are reflected by scouts on the ground armed with mirrors at very, very precise spots, and finally the image is transmitted back to the wizards in Magma City, who immediately open the Water-Fire Conduit directly in front of it. The Water Tank is too slow to react or move out of the way, and as the Battleaxe's Fist does another attack pass, it turns the sails and begins heading for the Water Tank so you can get your goblins within range of using the rings to attempt a teleport into it either to capture or destroy it.

Undeterred, the dwarves continue to march, the swarmers turning focus now on those with the grappling hook crossbows. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the "roller skates" of the Great Metal Dragon were... "shunted" (lack of better words) onto the claws; with the claws and skates occupying the same physical space, something had to give and it was the already-somewhat-worn claws and feet. This is high-end teleportation magic here which normally suggests human or elven interaction as well as an understanding of teleport physics that would not normally be available to goblins... and a thought occurs to Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes. What if the dwarves have an elf wizard among them... a traitor of some kind? In either case, the dragon is literally spinning around (being carried along by the great weight of its tail), spitting Red Goop and Irodium Javelins everywhere. It's doing just as much harm as help, but the goblins are getting better at avoiding the explosive, boiling projectiles.

Both sets of swarmers, goblin and kobold alike, begin trying to ferret and force the dwarven army into a canyon where the Turtle Turrets lie in wait to fire. Leading into this is some of your Wind Walkers and the greed-painted phony totems, one of which depicts Moradin and Maglubiyet in a rather adult-looking situation (and it's going very very bad for Moradin). Naturally, the dwarves run forward to collect the falling "gold", and the Turtle Turrets begin firing small Counterine explosives at pre-selected targets and piles of rock (treated with Shockbreaker). Disguising the tactic as bad aim, large piles of rocks and stones are blown up in front of the advancing dwarven army, only to rain down on them roughly 30 seconds later. While they're shielding themselves from the falling debris, the swarmers move ahead and find every weakness they can, and a second group from the cliff prepares to play the role of swinging blade to cut off the army in segments. Your casters are having a hard time identifying anyone who seems to be important; it looks like everyone is wearing the same uniform as a confusion tactic.

THe dwarves begin to return fire. Many dwarves each carried one piece of a "honeycomb" --- when many dwarves come together and attach the segments, it means they can build war machines quickly and efficiently where needed (which thus decreases the chance you're dragging along a lot of heavy, easy targets). A multiple-spear launcher is built in the midst of the dwarven army, and then another, and then another... and they begin to fill the air with spears, trying to bring down the Wind walkers. The spears are too heavy to have much range (they sacrificed range for armor piercing) and the Wind Walkers glide up and down on the winds, launching into crossbow-strafing runs on each dive. A group of Dwarven Defenders finally take a line in front of the entire dwarven army and lock their shields together as a fresh group of your swarmers, casters and archers charges forth, led by the Stickery fighters. Just as they reach the Dwarven Defenders, slingapult strikes hit the rear line and cause the defenders to turn and look... leaving them open to a surprise round by your swarmers.

Deathscratcher makes his appearance, standing before the line of Dwarven Defenders. Raising his arms, he draws necrotic tendrils from the ground itself, turning the ground beneath him a sickly dead gray... and the tendrils swirl about him forming a (un)natural barrier. Some of the tendrils lash out and slam against the shields of the Dwarven Defenders, causing them to rust, corrode, and (in the case of mithril) visibly spark brightly as more slingapult shots hit the lines from one side and the Turtle Turrets fire from the other. The Turtle Turrets have switched to a special kind of bomb; this one is a copper casing filled with a Rhodonium-Gyrocite crystal "matrix" --- where it explodes, giant dark orange snakes burst out from the point of impact and try to bite anything that comes near. Anything bitten immediately drops to the ground writhing and seizuring in pain, and your swarmers back off from the serpents as yet another wave of swarmers slices off a "segment" of Anvils for the front lines to pound.

(More to come, this is going to be long long long...)
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BlackTalons on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:23 am

BigEarsTheFallen wrote:This is high-end teleportation magic here which normally suggests human or elven interaction as well as an understanding of teleport physics that would not normally be available to goblins... and a thought occurs to Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes. What if the dwarves have an elf wizard among them... a traitor of some kind?

:( :evil: Those traitorous bastards!
Image Go there. VOTE now.
BlackTalons
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Part 2 of probably very many...

As the tendrils whip and lash across the line of Dwarven Defenders, Bathes-In-Flames is seen on a nearby hilltop doing various gestures in an obvious "hey target me" kind of way. Many goblins and kobolds with shields are deflecting the crossbow bolts and medium sized stones that are being thrown at her, and as several goblins rush from the back of the hill around on both sides pushing large "rollers" with spikes on the end that will roll over and through any unlucky dwarves, the worst possible circumstance happens --- she'd been standing on a hill marked for destruction by a Turtle Turret, and when what dwarves not cut to pieces by the swarmers finally advance on her position, one of the Turtle Turrets tracks the hill and fires. The Counterine bomb bounces a bit on the ground, the shot going short, but then it rolls in between a couple of stones at the base of the hill and goes off.

Bathes-In-Flames has her spell disrupted as she's launched into the sky along with the debris. She's able to twist and turn, letting hot air magically radiated from her fill the areas between her clothing and turn her into a makeshift hang glider. She dives to the ground right in a dwarf's face, a glowing sheath of light covering her front as if she'd just entered the planet's atmosphere and crashed to earth. The dwarf is left a smouldering corpse, and Bathes-In-Flames quickly backs up in order to dodge the mass of angry dwarves charging her position. It looks like she was trying to get a "fiery rain" type of spell off; dark smoke clouds form several meters overhead and serve both to obscure anything in the sky as well as those attempting to attack from the sky --- the Wind Walkers have to dodge the clouds so they can see where they are going. Bathes-In-Flames attempts to recover her spell as a few pyromancers throw in their energies to help stabilize her, and for a moment, the "clouds dripping liquid fire" seem to dry up for a moment.

And then a Fire Rift opens.

Large chunks of black stone shoot up from the ground around the rift, defining its boundries as several fire tornadoes begin to form and blow about anyone inside the rift's boundries, sending dwarf, kobold and goblin alike flying. The ground heats up as if it were the hottest part of summer, waves of heat causing loose papers to burn, clothes to catch fire, blood to boil, and liquid in one's eyeballs to explode. Deathscratcher runs for cover and takes up a position on another hilltop, dark tendrils of entropy slamming the ground around the black rock spikes and slowly wearing away at them. This particular rift is like a magic summoning circle... if you disrupt its boundries, it should break and shut down. In any case, more dwarf than goblin and kobold was affected by the rift's opening, as the heavy armor of the dwarves means it gets awfully hot. And by hot I mean humid sweaty tropical heat that slows the dwarves down to the point they're sitting ducks for the Turtle Turrets.

Captain Beakbreaker and Wrestles-With-Big-Things both call out commands to withdraw. Fire-spawned creatures are starting to burst forth from a white-hot hole in reality and they're headed for the dwarves. The dwarven advance halted as the new threat is assessed and attacked, the goblin army withdraws to watch the pyrotechnics. Some of the fire-spawn are beginning to set fire to the woods around the battleground, leading to several trees set ablaze that quickly explodes outward into a blisteringly not-so-good time as it becomes too difficult to control. Bathes-In-Flames rushes toward the center of the rift either to close it or stabilize it; it's obvious that if something isn't done SOON, the fire will spread beyond the canyons and become a forest fire that could consume all of your lands eventually. Elite elven mages are sent to help out as Deathscratcher finds that his whacking with the death-tendrils isn't working; magma and solid flame are beginning to bolster the damage he's doing. He decides to switch targets, and begins to lash out at those who are trying to sneak past the fire rift on the side he's on.

The Water Dragon is released, its aura of cold leaving a trail of superheated steam in its wake. It begins to rip and tear almost uncontrollably into both dwarf and fire-spawn alike, and while the weapons of the dwarves aren't doing much against its icy scales, the fire-spawn (from imps over small devils to small fire elementals and tornadoes made of liquid stone) are leaving wound after wound (fortunately its small fire resistance seems to reduce the most dangerous blows to only moderate ones). You have to admit though, the dragon is VICIOUS, and as it begins to chase some fire spawn on the run, it turns back around and does a loop-the-loop before exhaling a bluish-white blast of frozen air directly at the center of the rift. Bathes-In-Flames is seen being wrapped by the superheated steam as she turned the ground below her to liquid rock (which she then brought up and blasted the center of the rift with), and the last thing you see of her is her blasting the center of the rift with the liquid rock as it cools from the dragon's breath weapon. When you can't break the circle, plug the hole.

Mines begin to go off in the dwarven ranks. They'd trapped some of the trails and paths behind their lines with their mines, and several goblins and kobolds have just lost their lives to them (advanced invisibility spells work wonders in the heat of battle against swarmers...). Then one of the sorcerers on board a Wind Walker casts an invisibility detection spell, and begins to throw small darts at trees to mark the path to take. As half of your forces retreat and the other half bolster the Turtle Turrets and Deathscratcher's position, a largeer-than-normal crossbow bolt narrowly misses the necromancer. It looks like the dwarves built a working ballista on the fly, and are loading it with logs (both burning and otherwise). Its second shot thunders into the cliff under the Turtle Turrets, giving them time to track and fire on it; its third shot would have been a direct hit if it were not for Fluffles dashing up and barreling into Deathscratcher, knocking him out of the way and taking the hit for him. Kobold field medics rush to the owlbear as Deathscratcher is dragged to safety, and fortunately for the rest of you, the entropy tendrils only surge around Deathscratcher and form a barrier rather than the spell breaking and becoming a Death Rift.

Meanwhile, back at the Water-Fire Conduit, the Water Tank has been disabled. It's currently sinking to the bottom of the ocean, and what dwarves escaped are being shot at by the Battleaxe's Fist.

(more to come as I can find time and creative energy to keep it movin! There's a -lot- more to come, I'm just not feelin' creative enough to do it justice right now.)
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Just wanted to say I'm still here, but lacking in inspiration and time fuck you too us government --- Very tempted to just call an end to the thread. Should I just post a cliff notes summary and put the thread to bed with a final Winter's Meet post?
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PicksUpSticks on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:32 pm

While I would love to see the full glorious end to this, if the juices ain't flowing there's not much you can do about it. If you do end up posting a summary, can you promise to one day (down the road) go back and give it its rightful finish :)
Threads of Reality
Level 1
Tower Game
Clan Rampage
Alive and stupid.
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby D34dlock on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:22 pm

As much as I'd like an epic end to this epic thread, if you have to finish fast ending this thread properly is better than stopping posting with it unfinished. Do what you need to do.
D34dlock
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:49 am

I agree with the others. This thread deserves an ending. An epic ending would be even better, but I understand that/if you can't deliver something that fits this description - now or later.

In any case: Thank you so much for all the time, creativity and passion you already invested in this game.
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby alavar on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 pm

I agree witch others. This game needs an end. It would be better if it was epic, but if you don't have time/energy/etc. to do it now, then give us summary.
alavar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 pm

I'll post Winter's Meet wednesday. Too many other things to focus on these days, and I can't devote the proper energy and time to make it an epic ending.
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Serne on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Once everything is taken care of for the Winter's Meet I was thinking of taking all the text from the entire thread and tossing it into a document as sort of a journal of events. Then maybe edit it up a little so that it really reads as a journal while I'm at it. If I do I'll probably link it in a post to this thread later on.
The entire world needs exactly 3 things. Food. Clothes. Medicine. Why? Because: Hungry. Naked. Sick. SUCKS!

Now I've lost it. I Know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the gate.

Goblins: Civilization! - Finished
Clan of the Connected Mesh! Cmon' check it out!
Grieves - I Ate your Soul.
Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:34 pm

THE TIME: 610.12 (Magma City's about the only place NOT a glacier...)
Population: 108. 46 Men, 44 Women, 8 children. One Chief. 77 domesticated dogs (80% of these are war-trained), 180 sheep. 132 Kobolds (Crunchy Bug, Sniffy Worm, and smaller tribes).
Holdings: One Stockade Village with several Claystone-covered Mud Huts on the bank of the Swift-Fast River. One High Mountain Village next to a large lake. One mountain summit temple. Nearly half the goddamn continent, A giant Lava Magma Pit with a budding city of concrete and cement. One Cement-and-Concrete Reinforced Underwater Cave.
Morale: Morale is good. Victory was not assured and that bullshit by Shaman Hisselvriss was not welcomed, but it did turn the tide.
Knowledge: Advanced Stickery, Advanced Hunting (Melee), Gathering and Fishing, Gemcutting, Master of Hit And Run Tactics/Trench Warfare/Toxins N' Traps, clay-craft and woodcraft. Animal Empathy. Boatmaking. Glassblowing/shaping. Net making. "Sandfishing". Swimming. Some metalcraft. War Dog Breeding and Riding. Blastite. Farming. Hang Gliding. Slingapult-building. Blowgunnery, Iron/Mithril Metals, Survival (High Mountains), Stonemasonry, Survival (Caves),
Technology: Layered Metal (Iron/Mithril), probable steel.
Housing: Stone-covered Huts, small "houses" of wood and cement bricks.
Currently Researching: Glass, Leatherworking. Alchemy, Advanced Astronomy. Dyim, Seraphidite, Gyrocite, Irodium, Dextrosite, Counterine, Torture Resistance, Water Apples (High Mountain Village).
Currently Harvesting: Food plants and small game, volcanic sand and glass from the Magma Pit, Seraphidite (when available), Garnet, Coal, Dyim, Dextrosite, Counterine. Also flavor text.
Current other factions: Cloudscrape Mountain Ogres (Allied), Black Bog Orcs (Friendly), Crunchy Bug Kobolds, Sniffy Worm Kobolds (Allied), Shadow Hole Trolls (Hostile), the Shattered Bow Hobgoblins (neutral)
In the SFR PLC we have: 18 silver pieces, one set of Jaguar-hide trophy fur armor. Slays-A-Jaguar's jaguar fang necklace, A Deck of Many Things, six pouches made of gryphon hide, Eleven Tomes of Beryl Magic, sixteen iron daggers, one very small painting, Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes' skull.
In the Carved-Dragonbone HMV PLC we have: Decanter of Endless Honey. Just about everything went to "repairs" after the war.
In the Kentessa Scalehide Chest (Magma City): 40 bolts of Average White Cloth (each circus-tent sized).
In the Chest of Dungeon Crawling (in the Swift Fast River Village): Chakram of Stunning, very small suit of Radiant Leather Armor (constant Continual Light, 8 foot radius), some bronze-tipped spears.
In the Stone Honeycomb Wall (back of Magma City): Mostly salvage.
Alchemies And Other Toys: Red Goop, Switch-Out Bombs, Twilight Bombs, Magic Reflection Powder, Groundfreeze Potion, DR Potion (10/Blunt, 5/Adamantine) (if there's more, go back and look, I'm not going to, right now)
"Named" population: Chief Chakchunk (Kobold Chief of the Crunchy Bugs), Tomb-Grit (Chief of the Sniffy Worms), War Leader Mek'hem (battle master of the Crunchy Bugs), Bangs-Skulls-On-Rocks the Resiliant (Goblin Hero), Leatherbeast the Fire Retardant (Goblin Leatherworker), Talks-To-Weeds (Expert Botanist), Sniffs-Sand (High Teller, Acting Chief), Litodesto (Teller of the HMV), Speaks-Lyrically-Yet-Backwards (Master Bard), Throws-Sticks-At-Large-Bugs (Expert Smith), Bob McFred (Goblin Barter Lord), Beakbreaker (Goblin Hero), Flips-In-Six-Ways-At-Once (Goblin Blade Ward), Speaks-With-Dragons (Wielder of the Named Blade), Slips-Through-Caves (Master Scout/Goblin Hero), Deathscratcher (Goblin Necromancer), Bathes-In-Flames (Goblin Mistress of Flame), Jumpspeed (Air Dancer [Mage])
Flavor Text Named Population: Draws-Straight-Lines-Blindfolded (Master Organizer), Simple-Shepherd (Goblin Sheep Herder), Walks-In-Circles (Second in command to Talks-To-Weeds), Burns-Food-By-Thinking-Of-It (Goblin Chef), Doesn't-Eat-Enough (Goblin Food Taster), Saves-Lots-Of-Lives (Goblin Healer), Rides-The-Sea (Goblin Sailor), Goober Greylord (Gambling Den Owner), Digs-Where-Dug-Before (Expert Miner), Shapes-Steel (Retired Goblin Smith)
Statues: Sees True Fear (Killed by a 7th Level Dwarven Cleric), Speaks-With-Lizards (Killed by a 9th Level Elven Rogue), Fat Foot (Killed by a 5th level Lycan Teller), Slays-A-Jaguar (killed by a Barrel Golem), She-With-Fur (Killed by self-inflicted tidal wave), Wres'wrak the Lizard Man (killed by Corrupted Goblin Mob), Carves-Logs-Into-Funny-Shapes (killed by errant dragon fireball), "Mister Explosive" (Blew himself up), Fears-The-Twilight (Eaten by a trapped door), "The Sufferer" (Sacrificed for the greater good), Runs-From-Battleaxes (killed by a 9th level Dwarven Priest), Chief Beltowait (killed by Magma Godzilla), Wrestles-With-Big-Things (killed by 6th level Dwarven Fighter)
Noteworthy Incoming Dates: Southern lands become farmable, Dextrosite depleted (611.04), Puppies mature (611.06), Counterine depleted (612.01), Your "Luck" runs out (612.11), western lands become farmable (613.01), Dyim Mine exhausted (613.11), Sabre Tooth Jaguars return to the eastern lands (614.03)
Standard Actions used for the year 610: Y&B (3/3), Alavar (3/3), M0rtimer (1/3), D43dlock (2/3), Michael7050 (3/3), Supervaderman (2/3), PicksUpSticks (3/3), Serne (2/3), ThroughTheWell (1/3), BurnsBees (1/3)
Finest Hours Used for the year 610: D43dlock, YoungAndBeautiful, ThroughTheWell, Serne, Alavar, PicksUpSticks, ReadsVoraciously
Questions Asked of the Spirit of the Voices: D43dlock, ThroughTheWell, SuperVaderMan, BurnsBees, PicksUpSticks, Alavar, Michael7050

THE CURRENT SITUATION (610.12 AIE)

Long story short, the "lava barriers" that were set up, did the job. The dwarves pushed forward hard and they had extra allies (two ships filled with dwarves from the northern continents that had come down to bolster their numbers quite a few years ago); these two distracted the Battleaxe's Fist long enough to keep it out of the rest of the major action but the Battleaxe's Fist also kept THEM from adding to the ground troops by allowing the ships to establish a beach head. The Battleaxe's Fist limped away with moderate injuries but she will sail again.

The more the dwarves pressed, the harder the goblins fought. It seemed like it was an even match until the dwarves brought out a new trick --- they had their own Great Metal Dragon, and this one was capable of flight! It did a lot of damage to the goblins on the ground before a combined barrage of the Turtle Turrets, Slingapults, Great Metal Dragon, and Water Dragon were able to bring it down. Exactly -where- they got it is unknown, but some of your elementalists suggest it was cobbled together on the fly using your Great Metal Dragon as a sort of template. There was only one way to decisively deal with this abomination: Load the Water Dragon and Fluffles into separate Slingapults and fire them at the mechanical monster's eyes. Both scored direct hits and the sight of the Water Dragon charging in through one of the thing's reinforced glass eyes at full speed is something you'll not soon forget. The comical thrashing about of the thing's head back and forth as Fluffles tore apart the dwarves inside is just an added bonus.

As the dwarven Great Metal Dragon fell to earth, the dwarves look up at the mountains to the left expectantly, as if to wait either for a signal or reinforcements. You are unsurprised that they'd have a second plan in mind if their own "air power" were knocked out of the sky.

What they got was the Prismatic Goblin and a bunch of rallied tribes instead from the central mountains, who had been hoofing it to come to the aid of the Swift-Fast River clan. At the front was the goblin formerly known as Flips-In-Six-Ways-At-Once, skin turned to scales and rippling as if you were looking at him through the water of a shallow stream. Following him were countless wolf riders, hobgoblins, goblins, and even a hill giant or two; it seems that after Flips closed the rift, he used his new look and "light based powers" (including moving almost as fast as light) to rally the humanoids of the central mountains into a bloodlust never before seen (as well as near-given alliances in the future, tribes-wise). The new army smashed why yes I pulled a Thaco, shut up :P into the dwarven forces from the side, nearly taking out one third of their group on the first charge. All seemed right in the world as the dwarves began to retreat, now they themselves outnumbered and outclassed by all of your technological "advancements".

That is, until Shaman Hisselvriss spoke the finishing words to a ritual he'd been "slowly adding to" all these months, which was the source of his shit-eating grin.

Back in Magma City, the magma began to churn and boil... until it erupted, destroying half the city, many of the non-fighting men and women, and nearly all of the children (who were at the central altar praying to Ol' Mags at the time; the eruption started directly under them) and forming into a giant magma elemental that immediately went after the humanoids, both goblin and dwarven alike. What he was aiming for was a giant magma dragon he could control and force obedience on the dwarves with; what he got was more of a "godzilla"-like creation that he lost control of almost as quickly as it had formed. Fortunately several goblins on the Great Metal Dragon attacked it and dragged it into the ocean where it solidified and was neutralized; while the Great Metal Dragon's a loss, the goblins on board saved lots more lives by distracting it and tearing it away from the action.

Finally, the dwarves are beaten back. Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes is killed in action against a particularly nasty dwarven priest; Chief Beltowait lost his life to the Magma Godzilla. Shaman Hisselvriss is confined to some of the "ruins" of the city until further notice due to his actions, as the elemental wiped out nearly all of the population's kids; Sniffs-Sand has temporarily taken over until a new chief can actively be proclaimed. Litodesto isn't heard from until he is found on the field of battle sporting several angry-looking wounds; Wrestles-With-Big-Things tangled with a group of dwarves too much for him while Fluffles was dealing with the air power and he was killed in battle. Beakbreaker is alive and none the worse for wear, though the same can't be said for the platinum chain mail armor he was wearing. Speaks-With-Dragons came out alive, as did Speaks-Lyrically-Yet-Backwards (barely). Chieftess Hronk and her ogres did not fare so well; big targets on big constructs mean big dwarven warriors (Enlarge spells and Potions of Growth) go up and big enemies go down.

This year's Winter's Meet is a massive wind-down for the entire army, central tribes or no. You lost quite a bit of population and had to give a lot of money and bolts of white cloth to your elven allies for their role at the back (especially using their magic to keep the Magma Godzilla off balance while the Great Metal Dragon kept taunting it into the ocean), but it was to be expected given the odds. Flips-In-Six-Ways-At-Once, now called the Prismatic Goblin, offers to be the go-between for you and the central mountain tribes; already plans are being prepared for eventual extermination or control of the Shadow Hole Trolls (either to take the lands for yourselves or intimidate them into Plutrollium). The Life Rift Exotics in Talks-To-Weeds' gardens are the talk of the central tribes and the beginnings of a system of trade is set up for when the central tribes have their own mages and botanists of Talks' caliber so they can handle growing things properly.

Deathscratcher is nominated Sniffs-Sand's second in command (at least until a new chief is decided upon) as the next year is looked ahead to, and with it the destruction/enslavement of the trolls and the destruction of Herp. With the dwarves almost wiped out, now it's their turn for enslaving the humanoid peoples.

Not my greatest work (and I'm sure it shows), but my attention is split four ways right now and real life is reaaaaaally getting up in my face, enough to put the IRC game completely in near-vaporware status unless I get REAL lucky in the next couple weeks.

That about wraps up the storyline; glad to see that something born of a thread in /b/ was a lot of fun for you guys even if I crapped out on it these last few game month turns. Maybe I'll do another one down the road next year if I'm around (again, real life is in my face, I may end up offline for a long time as I move in with other family, try to get other things in order, actually get a job since my savings is all but gone, etc).

Cheers! :) :rootbeer:
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby D34dlock on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Thank you for the wonderful game.
D34dlock
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby alavar on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Woo-hoo!
:D

Still, YES Shaman's crap was unwelcome :roll:

Edit:
Of course I meant Thank You BigEars :D
Last edited by alavar on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
alavar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Serne on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:48 pm

I have to say that this is one of the most epic threads I've participated in anywhere. Continuing the game this long is definitely amazing on your part BigEars and after a while I bet it became a pretty big time-sink making the updates.

As D3adlock has already said Thank You for the awesome game.
The entire world needs exactly 3 things. Food. Clothes. Medicine. Why? Because: Hungry. Naked. Sick. SUCKS!

Now I've lost it. I Know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the gate.

Goblins: Civilization! - Finished
Clan of the Connected Mesh! Cmon' check it out!
Grieves - I Ate your Soul.
Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby michael7050 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Thank you BigEars!
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby PicksUpSticks on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:58 am

I never trusted that lizard...
Threads of Reality
Level 1
Tower Game
Clan Rampage
Alive and stupid.
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby alavar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Since we are moving to new forum, is there a possibility of saving that precious thread?
alavar
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games