Goblins: Civilization

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby D34dlock on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 pm

A) Send a scout team to find Flips-In-Six-Ways-At-Once?He needs to do this alone.
B) Try to use forbidden magic to breach the "clot" and get back a connection to Ol' Mags?... No.
C) Pig out on what Life Exotics are left, combining it with all the food brought back with Rides-The-Sea?Yes.
D) Focus most of your efforts on exploring the properties of the Life Ore? There will be time for this later
E) Let the dwarves capture the Great Metal Dragon and pull the trojan horse trick, to give them a false sense of security?He keeps putting this option here guess he wants us to do it.
F) Withdraw to Magma City, letting the dwarves get close for the fight of their life? You know the layout of your strongest home lands, they do not.as fighting withdrawal is not up here I guess this.
G) Simply full-court press the dwarves, using everything at your disposal? This seems to be "it" in terms of the dwarves, it's now or never.& they will trance because they have nothing left to go back to.

C,E,F
D34dlock
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Serne on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:58 pm

C, D, and F.

While i have noticed that he keep putting it up there to do the Trojan Horse thing, I think it would be best to wait and use it as part of an assault rather than as what seems like a delaying tactic as those will be forces who WILL die and we won't have back.

If we can manage to get ANYTHING out of the research on Life Ore then it will be totally worth it.

For the "Feasting" I suggest that we have a few goblins start off the whole thing the day prior to it, by sampling all of the things collected so we know there won't be any massive side effects from the foods. If there are side effects to certain foods which would be useful to certain groups of our population then those groups will get a larger portion of those foods.
The entire world needs exactly 3 things. Food. Clothes. Medicine. Why? Because: Hungry. Naked. Sick. SUCKS!

Now I've lost it. I Know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the gate.

Goblins: Civilization! - Finished
Clan of the Connected Mesh! Cmon' check it out!
Grieves - I Ate your Soul.
Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:19 pm

A) Send a scout team to find Flips-In-Six-Ways-At-Once? I'm torn two way with this. On one hand he does have to do it alone, on the other hand, this choice doesn't say the scouts interferes. He could just send in a "live" report of what's happening, and I'd really be interested in that.
B) Try to use forbidden magic to breach the "clot" and get back a connection to Ol' Mags? No. What good would it be to regain contact with Mags, just so he can tells us how disappointed he is in us?
C) Pig out on what Life Exotics are left, combining it with all the food brought back with Rides-The-Sea? Yes. And use serenes idea, if possible (I am all out of FH of SAs.)
D) Focus most of your efforts on exploring the properties of the Life Ore? Sounds good to me.
E) Let the dwarves capture the Great Metal Dragon and pull the trojan horse trick, to give them a false sense of security? No.@ Deadlock: GM keeps giving the option of a full court press repeatedly, too, but it still would be suicide. So I don't really give a damn if he wants us to do this, I still think it's a bad idea.
F) Withdraw to Magma City, letting the dwarves get close for the fight of their life? You know the layout of your strongest home lands, they do not. Dunno about this. I still got one option left, so it's either this or A, I guess. Fighting reatreat would be better.
G) Simply full-court press the dwarves, using everything at your disposal? This seems to be "it" in terms of the dwarves, it's now or never. No, not with being BADLY outnumbered.

So: A (if this option is watching & reporting only, NO interference!), C and D
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:49 am

WILL YOU... (Pick up to three)

C) Pig out on what Life Exotics are left, combining it with all the food brought back with Rides-The-Sea?

E) Let the dwarves capture the Great Metal Dragon and pull the trojan horse trick, to give them a false sense of security?

F) Withdraw to Magma City, letting the dwarves get close for the fight of their life? You know the layout of your strongest home lands, they do not.

Finest Hour: Research is done on creating sea mines with anchors to lay in the path of the Water Tank at strategic points, preventing it from approaching the shore, and allowing the Battleaxe's Fist to initiate uninterrupted firing upon the dwarves from the shore.
Last edited by ReadsVoraciously on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Games:
Clan Rampage - GM - Come check it out!
Capture the Flag - Nose-In-A-Book
The Awesomesword Wanes - Thinks Twice - Teller/Heal-Bitch
The Clan of the Connected Mesh - Casts the First Stone
The Lost Chapter Clan - Follows Tracks - Lvl 4 Ranger
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serne on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 am

um... reads that's 4 choices.
The entire world needs exactly 3 things. Food. Clothes. Medicine. Why? Because: Hungry. Naked. Sick. SUCKS!

Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:11 am

I don't know what you're talking about :shifty:
Current Games:
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serne on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:17 am

Riiiiiiiight. Very smooth.

Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby michael7050 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:07 pm

C, D, F

Hey, I've still got a finest and a standard left, any suggestions? Actually...

Finest Hour: The goblin engineers, in preperation for the upcoming battles, work on providing as many defenses for magma city as possible: digging out an elaborate series of trenches, setting up Steam traps and turrets, with lightning traps, spike traps, remotely detonated mines, an improved fleet of windwalkers etc...

If I can use my last standard on this I will, maybe others can add to this with there own actions
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby ThroughTheWell on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:36 pm

michael7050 wrote:Finest Hour: The goblin engineers, in preperation for the upcoming battles, work on providing as many defenses for magma city as possible: digging out an elaborate series of trenches, setting up Steam traps and turrets, with lightning traps, spike traps, remotely detonated mines, an improved fleet of windwalkers etc...

Ammend his finest with this standard action to prep our defenses in depth:
Walls, towers, boiling oil, greek fire, balista (javalin throwers), overlapping killing zones, beeny-bouncy slings, a catapult or 3, tank traps (should be good vs most mecha), spiked pits for wounding and slowing, spiked pits for killing, trenches and walls in combination to make for taller walls, provide killing zones, and keep the enemy in back from seeing what you are doing to the ones in front so that they pack more in, ladder hooks to push ladders back, axes to cut grapples, a supply of arrows, fire arrows, lead bullets with slingstaves, the ocasional large concrete boulder to roll down a narrow pass or hillside, multiple layers of walls to trap them between them, staggard gates, collapsable and hidden sally tunnle, spikes on the wall tops, etc. Make your mines use either bbs or scrap metal to deal damage in an area. A protected launching spot for gliders within our lines and a storehouse of food inside.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:41 am

610.10 will come later today (probably later tonight, since I don't raid today)... been workin' a bit on the IRC stuff (updated ruleset page going to be posted and a new thread for it is incoming, finally!) now that my programmer is back in action, and took up a new hobby in Second Life which has been eating my time when I don't raid (as in, "people pay $1000 real dollars for PIXEL PETS!?").

610.11 will have a "finale" type battle, and 610.12 will wrap the thread up as an epilogue. But don't grow lax in your choices just because I'm wrapping things up... you can still lose everything... :P
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby michael7050 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:59 pm

aww... couldn't you keep this running on a casual basis with a everythings fine, how do you manage your empire type thing? I like this game too much to say goodbye... :cry:
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serne on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm

This thread has had an impressive run, and I have to say it's been one of my favorites due to it's style. If it ends soon then it will definitely end on a high note after having provided quite a bit of fun to a number of the forum members. I'd like to thank BigEars for running this behemoth for so long, and in such a dedicated fashion. I'm sure it's been quite time consuming to write up each update and to make all of our disjointed ideas on what to do into something that plays out so well.

Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Post finally in progress...ish, I spent most of the day between procrastinating and writing up an updated version of the IRC game battle rules I'm working on.

I'm simply switching gears to the IRC game is all, plus fighting the government full time for benefits (they're taking a "go away or we'll MAKE you go away" attitude, having politically blindsided a lot of people who wanted to help me out... don't ask, no one tells me anything). I can't focus on both that and this at the same time, plus a few other things.

It might be a bit yet though. First I'm going to post a new thread drawing attention to the updated rules page. Then I'll get started on the post. :)
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Michael7050's Finest and Standard (both basically defensive measures) have been taken into account but not mentioned. They did have an effect though... :)

THE TIME: 610.10 (Heat wave, summer struggling to stay awake.)
Population: 304. 154 Men, 90 Women, 90 children. Two Chiefs, Two Tellers. One Shaman. 108 domesticated dogs (80% of these are war-trained), 48 puppies, 180 sheep. 345 Kobolds (Crunchy Bug, Sniffy Worm, and smaller tribes).
Holdings: One Stockade Village with several Claystone-covered Mud Huts on the bank of the Swift-Fast River. One High Mountain Village next to a large lake. One mountain summit temple. Nearly half the goddamn continent, A giant Lava Magma Pit with a budding city of concrete and cement. One Cement-and-Concrete Reinforced Underwater Cave.
Morale: Morale is good, though discussion of the rifts is making people uneasy.
Knowledge: Advanced Stickery, Advanced Hunting (Melee), Gathering and Fishing, Gemcutting, Master of Hit And Run Tactics/Trench Warfare/Toxins N' Traps, clay-craft and woodcraft. Animal Empathy. Boatmaking. Glassblowing/shaping. Net making. "Sandfishing". Swimming. Some metalcraft. War Dog Breeding and Riding. Blastite. Farming. Hang Gliding. Slingapult-building. Blowgunnery, Iron/Mithril Metals, Survival (High Mountains), Stonemasonry, Survival (Caves),
Technology: Layered Metal (Iron/Mithril), probable steel.
Housing: Stone-covered Huts, small "houses" of wood and cement bricks.
Currently Researching: Glass, Leatherworking. Alchemy, Advanced Astronomy. Dyim, Seraphidite, Gyrocite, Irodium, Dextrosite, Counterine, Torture Resistance, Water Apples (High Mountain Village).
Currently Harvesting: Food plants and small game, volcanic sand and glass from the Magma Pit, Seraphidite (when available), Garnet, Coal, Dyim, Dextrosite, Counterine. Also flavor text.
Current other factions: Cloudscrape Mountain Ogres (Allied), Black Bog Orcs (Friendly), Crunchy Bug Kobolds, Sniffy Worm Kobolds (Allied), Shadow Hole Trolls (Hostile), the Shattered Bow Hobgoblins (neutral)
In the SFR PLC we have: 18 silver pieces, one set of Jaguar-hide trophy fur armor. Slays-A-Jaguar's jaguar fang necklace, A Deck of Many Things, six pouches made of gryphon hide, Eleven Tomes of Beryl Magic, sixteen iron daggers, one very small painting
In the Carved-Dragonbone HMV PLC we have: 1489 gold, 700 platinum, two scrolls (Continual Darkness, Break Enchantment [12th]/Knock/Dispel Magic [9th]), Sixteen Salve of Recovery, one Salve of Salvation, one very large lapis lazuli stone, 23 Sapphires, 4 small garnet globes, several bags of fish-shaped minor gemstones and pearls, a Decanter of Endless Honey.
In the Kentessa Scalehide Chest (Magma City): 80 bolts of Average White Cloth (each circus-tent sized)
In the Upcoming Dwarven War Chest (Magma City): 10 Arrows of Armor Piercing +3, Crystal of Bloodshattering, ogre-sized Cymbals of Thunderclapping, Syrup of Siren's Song (5 doses), Greed Paint (14 uses).
In the Chest of Dungeon Crawling (in the Swift Fast River Village): Chakram of Stunning, very small suit of Radiant Leather Armor (constant Continual Light, 8 foot radius), some bronze-tipped spears.
In the Stone Honeycomb Wall (back of Magma City): Mostly salvage.
Alchemies And Other Toys: Red Goop, Switch-Out Bombs, Twilight Bombs, Magic Reflection Powder, Groundfreeze Potion, DR Potion (10/Blunt, 5/Adamantine) (if there's more, go back and look, I'm not going to, right now)
"Named" population: Runs-From-Battleaxes (High Chief), Beltowait (Chief of the HMV), Chief Chakchunk (Kobold Chief of the Crunchy Bugs), Tomb-Grit (Chief of the Sniffy Worms), War Leader Mek'hem (battle master of the Crunchy Bugs), Bangs-Skulls-On-Rocks the Resiliant (Goblin Hero), Leatherbeast the Fire Retardant (Goblin Leatherworker), Talks-To-Weeds (Expert Botanist), Wrestles-With-Big-Things (raiser of Fluffles), Sniffs-Sand (High Teller), Litodesto (Teller of the HMV), Speaks-Lyrically-Yet-Backwards (Master Bard), Throws-Sticks-At-Large-Bugs (Expert Smith), Bob McFred (Goblin Barter Lord), Beakbreaker (Goblin Hero), Flips-In-Six-Ways-At-Once (Goblin Blade Ward), Speaks-With-Dragons (Wielder of the Named Blade), Slips-Through-Caves (Master Scout/Goblin Hero), Deathscratcher (Goblin Necromancer), Bathes-In-Flames (Goblin Mistress of Flame), Jumpspeed (Air Dancer [Mage])
Flavor Text Named Population: Draws-Straight-Lines-Blindfolded (Master Organizer), Simple-Shepherd (Goblin Sheep Herder), Walks-In-Circles (Second in command to Talks-To-Weeds), Burns-Food-By-Thinking-Of-It (Goblin Chef), Doesn't-Eat-Enough (Goblin Food Taster), Saves-Lots-Of-Lives (Goblin Healer), Rides-The-Sea (Goblin Sailor), Goober Greylord (Gambling Den Owner), Digs-Where-Dug-Before (Expert Miner), Shapes-Steel (Retired Goblin Smith)
Statues: Sees True Fear (Killed by a 7th Level Dwarven Cleric), Speaks-With-Lizards (Killed by a 9th Level Elven Rogue), Fat Foot (Killed by a 5th level Lycan Teller), Slays-A-Jaguar (killed by a Barrel Golem), She-With-Fur (Killed by self-inflicted tidal wave), Wres'wrak the Lizard Man (killed by Corrupted Goblin Mob), Carves-Logs-Into-Funny-Shapes (killed by errant dragon fireball), "Mister Explosive" (Blew himself up), Fears-The-Twilight (Eaten by a trapped door), "The Sufferer" (Sacrificed for the greater good)
Noteworthy Incoming Dates: Tests on Life Rift Exotics complete (610.11), Southern lands become farmable, Dextrosite depleted (611.04), Puppies mature (611.06), Counterine depleted (612.01), Your "Luck" runs out (612.11), western lands become farmable (613.01), Dyim Mine exhausted (613.11), Sabre Tooth Jaguars return to the eastern lands (614.03)
Standard Actions used for the year 610: Y&B (3/3), Alavar (3/3), M0rtimer (1/3), D43dlock (2/3), Michael7050 (3/3), Supervaderman (2/3), PicksUpSticks (3/3), Serne (2/3), ThroughTheWell (1/3), BurnsBees (1/3)
Finest Hours Used for the year 610: D43dlock, YoungAndBeautiful, ThroughTheWell, Serne, Alavar, PicksUpSticks, ReadsVoraciously
Questions Asked of the Spirit of the Voices: D43dlock, ThroughTheWell, SuperVaderMan, BurnsBees, PicksUpSticks, Alavar, Michael7050

THE CURRENT SITUATION (610.10 AIE)

The order is given to withdraw to Magma City. If the dwarves want this place so bad, they're going to have to fight for it, and you plan on giving them a whomping to remember. The Great Metal Dragon is positioned outside, with Wind Walkers and kobold casters in the trees. The Battleaxe's Fist can fire on the dwarves as they advance towards Magma City and take down a good chunk of them, but it won't be able to hit them when they get too close to Magma City. The Water Dragon is positioned right in the doorway leading into Magma City proper, surrounded by the counceil of elders' honor guards, the masters of Stickery, and most of the other elites. Wrestles-with-Big-Things is left in charge of both the Water Dragon and Fluffles; they're towards the middle of the "group at the door".

Everything that can be thought of HAS been thought of and implemented. Trenches, spikes, trapdoors, boulder legbreaker traps, venom sprayers, and various other semi-technological goodies (including a couple of "anti air spear flingers" that throw about 30-40 spears at once). Logs in the trees secured to ropes, phony decoy altars and empty Poorly Locked Chests, wooden and stone barricades... you estimate that you'll bring down at least 1/5th of their forces alone before they're able to get close or kick in the door. Much of your punch will come from the kobolds (as they outnumber you almost two to one at the moment), your Turtle Turrets (which the dwarves don't know about), and Chieftess Hronk's forces. All of the named leaders, including Sniffs-Sand, Litodesto, Shaman Hisselvriss, Beakbreaker, and most of the other named characters are more toward the rear, boobytrapping the aquaduct system. Should things go south, the whole thing will break apart and some of the pyromancers will begin magic to really turn up the heat in the place.

They say war is the mother of invention for peace. In this case, peace takes the form of copper shells filled with an equal mixture of Shockbreaker and Red Goop, with a core of Counterine and an Irodium hairpin trigger to pierce the shells and set it off if a wake caused by the Water Tank hits it. The moment the Water Tank brushes up against one of these big boomers (mines that float about three feet under water attached to waterproof plants developed by Talks-To-Weeds), there will be quite an explosion. If the tank recovers at -all-, it will surely be deprived of a day's movement. You immediately dispatch scouts and a few warriors to set up the mines, and instead of returning they will be picked up by the Battleaxe's Fist. A large canyon is marked as a likely spot for the water tank to come out of the water and move about on land (where it might be faster), and Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes positions many Turtle Turrets here to fire at the damn thing if it is seen.

All this preparation brings out the hunger in any good, strong goblin, and Chief Beltowait orders the group to dig into the Life Rift Exotics, both island based and the aquatic life some of you brought back. Not only do you want to see if any of this life-food brings out special talents or abilities, but the greenhouses were getting filled and then some from the rapidly-growing plant life. One greenhouse is already overrun with lashing vines and bitey plants (fortunately your supply of Flebbo Roots is intact), and another one is on the verge of having the glass windows shattered. The Life Rift Exotic Foods don't really seem to give you any real powers (though they do make you feel energized and hyper) but they do outline anyone who has eaten any of the food in a strange neon green glow... preventing stealth or any form of hiding, including Continual Darkness or your Twilight Bombs. Still, you're swarmers, and swarmers don't need stealth against an army so large it's near-impossible to hide from anyway.

Finally... the Life Ore. Hoo boy, sooooooo many things learned in the short time you've had to work with the stuff. The first thing is that when water is applied to the Life Ore it becomes incredibly easy to work with, both in its semi-liquid form and solid form. Many goblins have a lot of fun shaping the stuff into statues, weapons, and other things. Since the Life Ore retains its shape if struck with force, much of the ore is shaped into arrows, daggers, shields, and other things. It's too heavy to wear as armor, but arrows and sling stones, yes, you have a great deal of those now.

The second thing you learn is that when you combine this stuff with magic, it seems to "energize" the magic (at a cost of the Life Ore evaporating), but it causes GREAT pain to Deathscratcher if he is anywhere near a spell cast with this as a component. Many of the kobold pyromancers are given several small stones of Life Ore to use as material components in setting up a firebreak or firewall towards where the Turtle Turrets will be laying in wait before the real swarming begins. The third thing is that when this stuff is sacrificed to Ol' Mags, there is a residue of sorts that is left behind. This residue refracts light as if it were made of diamonds, but seems to have most of the properties of Life Ore. Most of what is made (you end up calling it Flickering Life from the fact it seems to flash in and out of vision) is left on the altar in the center of Magma City; if things REALLY go south, Shaman Hisselvriss will use it all at once in... well, he's not saying what, but from the grin on his face, you're sure that the dwarves wouldn't like it.

The last thing you discover is how to use the Life Ore to age plant life around the entrance to Magma City and the mountain. The only problem is that you haven't learned how to STOP the aging, as it seems to repel or reflect Deathscratcher's attempts at introducing death into the "life equasion" in order to stop the effect. You're not going to be able to figure out how to control the aging process before the dwarves get here, unfortunately... though in the opinion of Wrestles-With-Big-Things, "growing up and learning is half the fun."

Finally, the clerics and priests report a re-establishment of their connection to Ol' Mags. Flips must have closed the Rift and will be likely on his way back. But how changed will he be?

Pick Three battle plans for the "Final Battle" of Dwarf vs. Goblin. Three of these are TPKs; if two out of three of the choices are a TPK, that will be all she wrote...

A) Favor Swarming tactics over technology, relying on the kobolds to be at the front, followed by the goblins, and supported by air power and casters with a readied action and elevation bonus. Simple Tank and Spank, supported by the ogres and jaguaradons.
B) Favor the intimidation factor. Use the Battleaxe's Fist as an opening volley to get the army's attention, with various illusions from the casters on board to make it look like there's more than one ship approaching. While the dwarves turn toward the ship and aim any hidden surprises at it, the Great Metal Dragon flanks them from behind.
C) Favor casters weakening the dwarves first before closing. You've got quite a LOT of casters in the kobold ranks, elite and otherwise; if the casters do a fighting withdrawl while the swarmers do their thing, the dwarves will focus on getting to the casters (and healers), losing a lot of fighters to the swarmers in the process.
D) Favor Ranged attacks over swarming, such as with your archers and Wind Walkers. You've got the benefit of knowing the terrain and can pick the best places to ambush with nets, crossbows, Wind Walkers, and the like.
E) Leave the battle in the hands of your elites, giving them the majority of the combat. Fluffles, the Water Dragon, and even the Water Goddess will have quite the excercise run, but while the elites will wipe out dwarves left and right, the swarmers can flank from all sides, slowly pressing inward and crushing them.
F) Favor Magic Items over physical force. You've got quite a few magic items here, and used at the right time, they can kick out the supports from under the dwarven army. Hell, even trick a dwarf into drawing from the Deck of Many Things and hope karma slaps them silly.
G) Send a well-supplied force back up to the High Mountain Village. Magma City isn't the only place that needs defending, even if it is unlikely the dwarves will want to go that far. There is quite a lot of intel in the Mage Caves that just can't be disturbed or moved...
H) Withdraw into the city proper, using Bathes-In-Flames to turn up the heat, assisted by pyromancers and hydromancers to maintain the balance and fry the dwarves that don't get fried by steam traps and otherwise. Deathscratcher's knowledge of death can have him "bleed" off the heat, keeping things cool for the goblins and kobolds.
I) Favor air power. The dwarves have had a problem with it in the past, and your bombing skill has only increased. Plus, they don't have the Mechanical Phoenix to cause a headache with.
J) Set up landslides on the way in, burying the dwarves in their trenches and on the paths. By wrecking the ground the dwarves have to travel on, that will slow them down enough for swarmers, Wind Walkers, and the Great Metal Dragon to start a REAL rampage through the ranks.
K) Use the Life Ore to age the Water Dragon. Dragons live for thousands of years, and the battle will likely be over before old age catches up with him...
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BurnsBees on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:24 pm

C, D, K.

Alright, now let's weave a finest to give them hell. I'm thinking along the lines with dropping the greed stuff while bombing things down, also thinking of opening a can of worms on the dwarves by using a life concotion if we have those. I'm thinking of including the hourglass to make us have more attacks.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ThroughTheWell on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:59 pm

C, D.

I think F is a killer cause I don't trust random magic.
I think J will be less than effective versus earth loving dwarves.
I don't like how K likely will cause the death of our water dragon, and make him mad in the process.
G might be another killer as it splits our forces too much.
B seems weak to rely on illusions.
H seems like more of a last resort kind of thing too, that also has a chance of going badly wrong.

C and D both have the advantage of weakening them before they hit our main forces.

Anyone who has a finest hour left should blow it now.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BurnsBees on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 pm

FINEST: A portion of the wind walkers have greed coins painted upon them and throw them down at opertune times as the dwarves come in masses, where they fight over who gets the loot. They do it in such a way that they make sure that no goblins can get in the way of this, preferably in the back and where there are masses of the Dwarven army.

STANDARD: When it's an opportune time, and near the mass of goblins before battle, because it lasts for 24 hours, a goblin uses the hourglass to allow more attacks than normal against the army.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ThroughTheWell on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:18 pm

BurnsBees wrote:STANDARD: When it's an opportune time, and near the mass of goblins before battle, because it lasts for 24 hours, a goblin uses the hourglass to allow more attacks than normal against the army.

I know the hourglass has already been used once when we first pushed the dwarves back. BigEars may not have updated that part of the magic inventory, OR it is more than 1 use. But you should find out which is which, and change your standard if the hourglass is gone.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:12 pm

The Hourglass of Time Speeding was a single use item. Your casters aren't on par with a Haste just yet. I'm sure you'll think of something better. :)

I'm going to go ahead and say no post today (thursday). Going to mostly MMO and tweak IRC stuff and just sit on my ass because I'm a lazy shit that doesn't feel like writin' :P

610.11 Friday afternoon, 610.12 before the weekend is out. :)
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby YoungAndBeautiful on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Pick Three battle plans for the "Final Battle" of Dwarf vs. Goblin. Three of these are TPKs; if two out of three of the choices are a TPK, that will be all she wrote...

A) Favor Swarming tactics over technology, relying on the kobolds to be at the front, followed by the goblins, and supported by air power and casters with a readied action and elevation bonus. Simple Tank and Spank, supported by the ogres and jaguaradons. Why should we refrain from using both? It just doesn't make sense to me.
B) Favor the intimidation factor. Use the Battleaxe's Fist as an opening volley to get the army's attention, with various illusions from the casters on board to make it look like there's more than one ship approaching. While the dwarves turn toward the ship and aim any hidden surprises at it, the Great Metal Dragon flanks them from behind. I like it. Cause a bit of confusion and weaken the dwarves before they reach.
C) Favor casters weakening the dwarves first before closing. You've got quite a LOT of casters in the kobold ranks, elite and otherwise; if the casters do a fighting withdrawl while the swarmers do their thing, the dwarves will focus on getting to the casters (and healers), losing a lot of fighters to the swarmers in the process. This one, too. We got the casters trained, so we should use them.
D) Favor Ranged attacks over swarming, such as with your archers and Wind Walkers. You've got the benefit of knowing the terrain and can pick the best places to ambush with nets, crossbows, Wind Walkers, and the like. Yes, much like D, only with scouts/ranged fighters.
E) Leave the battle in the hands of your elites, giving them the majority of the combat. Fluffles, the Water Dragon, and even the Water Goddess will have quite the excercise run, but while the elites will wipe out dwarves left and right, the swarmers can flank from all sides, slowly pressing inward and crushing them. I dunno. It sounds a lot like we will most likely lose most of our elite in this tactic.
F) Favor Magic Items over physical force. You've got quite a few magic items here, and used at the right time, they can kick out the supports from under the dwarven army. Hell, even trick a dwarf into drawing from the Deck of Many Things and hope karma slaps them silly. HOPE something random will work out in our favor is asking for trouble, imho. Probably one TPK.
G) Send a well-supplied force back up to the High Mountain Village. Magma City isn't the only place that needs defending, even if it is unlikely the dwarves will want to go that far. There is quite a lot of intel in the Mage Caves that just can't be disturbed or moved... I would like to protect THMV, but I'm not sure it will do us any good to do so. Just because the dwarves find a magical lirary, this doesn't mean they can do anything about it. Yes, they might burn it down, but regarding the extreme long time we had to dedicate to learn anything useful from the books, I doubt that the dwarves will be able to gain any advantage in one month.
H) Withdraw into the city proper, using Bathes-In-Flames to turn up the heat, assisted by pyromancers and hydromancers to maintain the balance and fry the dwarves that don't get fried by steam traps and otherwise. Deathscratcher's knowledge of death can have him "bleed" off the heat, keeping things cool for the goblins and kobolds. This sounds like a TPK to me, we will be cooked in our own homes. No, thank you very much.
I) Favor air power. The dwarves have had a problem with it in the past, and your bombing skill has only increased. Plus, they don't have the Mechanical Phoenix to cause a headache with. Not a good idea, since 1) our air forced have dwindled massively since we last used it and 2) they still have that second zeppelin or whatever it was.
J) Set up landslides on the way in, burying the dwarves in their trenches and on the paths. By wrecking the ground the dwarves have to travel on, that will slow them down enough for swarmers, Wind Walkers, and the Great Metal Dragon to start a REAL rampage through the ranks. I'm not sure about this one. But since the dwarves have been working with trenches themselves in the past, it might not work against them...
K) Use the Life Ore to age the Water Dragon. Dragons live for thousands of years, and the battle will likely be over before old age catches up with him... Erm, no. It may sound good to "power" him up a bit for the fight, but I don't want another asset we worked/waited very long to get it what it is to be blown up/away by some stupid decision. And honestly, that option sounds like he would be a goner soon after the war. (Which would not matter much in perspective of the game soon ending, but I would rather "go out" with peace of mind over what our tribe/society did, instead of making bad/morally questionable decisions just because it "doesn't matter anymore".) Also, it might be a TPK if the dragon doesn't like what we did to it...

So, B, C and D from me.

Serne wrote:This thread has had an impressive run, and I have to say it's been one of my favorites due to it's style. If it ends soon then it will definitely end on a high note after having provided quite a bit of fun to a number of the forum members. I'd like to thank BigEars for running this behemoth for so long, and in such a dedicated fashion. I'm sure it's been quite time consuming to write up each update and to make all of our disjointed ideas on what to do into something that plays out so well.

This. So much. :rootbeer:
ATTENTION:
(Goblins and) Goblins Games is moving to a new Forum!

My nickname there will be GathersIngredients, btw.
YoungAndBeautiful
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serne on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:14 am

C and D for votes.

Standard Action:

Using the gloves he created our resident Geomancer sets up small bogs of mud in between trenches and behind walls to slow the dwarves progress through the lines to give more time for attacks upon them during their advance. During his planning one of the goblins has an idea to add something into the bogs so that they can be lit on fire once enough enemies are in them.

The fighting forces, with exception of the casters are also told to cover themselves in Magical Reflection Powder.

Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BlackTalons on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:00 am

B,C,D

Third and final batch: new stuff in italics

Finest Hour
Operation codename: Dwarven fourth ring

General combat rules
- Avoid melee with the mass of dwarves at all circunstances unless strictly necesary to protect casters and rangers. Chose small cluster or stray groups instead
- Train every combatant in basic ranged tactics, even throwing stones. Equip everyone with a ranged weapon of their choice.
- Similary give everyone a knife and basic training to defend themselves.
- Prepare safe escape routes from all the fronts.
- Use the scrap metal from past battles to equip every with at least a chain armor. Use any excedent to give them chain cowls, armguards and graves. Favor maces and short spears for the melee figters.
- If after all there's still some metal left, craft some helms and shoulder pads for the wolves.
- Suply even not medics with basic medical suplies (bandages, analgesic herbs, healling items if posible). Train as many as posible in basic medical skills (stoping a wound, immobilizing an arm, CPR, etc...)
- Divide the melee divisions in subgroups with a chosen lieutenant and a medic. Make them practise, eat and even live together to form a coesionate group. Whenever thay have to fight try to send the group together. If posible also provide the group with one or to wolf rides both to the captain and to the medic to move fast through the battlefield and to carry the wounded out of it.
- Equip a couple of sharpshooters with camouflage gear, means to light a fire, about 10-15 flamable arrows and a couple of arrows with life ore as their head. This team will be called detonators and will play a role each time "detonate" is mentioned below.

Preparations
- Make TtW select plants and seeds from his reserve with any of the following propieties: oily, gaseous, fast growing, entrangling, inflamable, fast dry, poisonous.
- Call in elven reinforcements. Offer anything that doesn't compromise our future security or allows an enventual backstab on their part (avoid militar information and core territories, offer life concoctions, magical stuff, precious materials, espoils of war, etc...)
- Evaluate the periferal troll caves for an escape route to both HMV and elven lands. Try to seal the escape routes apart from the main tunnel sistems with concrete. Enphasize speed over security.
- Make bridges and small sniper nests on the treetops surrounding the entrance of the city. Make escape bridges direct to the entrance. Sniper nest should have a bowl or something to hold a small fire. Similary adapt some of the ceiling houses to serve in the same way if the battle reaches the inside of the city.
- Excavate trenches in front of the entrance, first in a laberintic semicircle patern, then in a tight scales pattern towards the entrance.
- In the semicircular trenches, position some pots with the aforementioned seeds or spike traps covered in oil. In the edges of the trenches make slopes of mud, sand or lose rocks. In adition the top of the slopes may have large vesels with boiling oil.
- Excavate tank pits in front of the treches
- Fill de scales trenches with spikes and oil. In the center of each section betwen trenches put a bomb.
- At each side of entrance of maga city build a tower as strong as posible with so little time. It should have a fast method of descent like a pole or a slide towards the entrance. The top of the tower should have many shooting holes for the rangers and mages to shoot through. At the base of the tower, protected by a wall of concrete, install proper equipment to tend serious wounds, and asign one or 2 especialized healers with non combatant helpers.
- Select a weak spot in the floor of magma city near the entrance. Build a concrete canal that goes from that point to a final wide trench just behind the entrance.
- Construct slingapults in high places or in clearings in the forest
- Create cheap variations of the figting stick: a blade staf, a flanged staf and a spiked staf. Allow each stickery fighter to try each one of these and latter offer them one of higher quality. When the stikcery master arrives, offer him the same options.
- Build and position up to 3 hwacha near the slingapults.
- Fill some ceramic (or something similar) pots with oil, and cover them with oil too. Seal the pots as best as posible.

Fronts and tactics
- Give our bow masters wolf mounts and command them to lurk in the forest, with a company of harraser wolf cavalary, near the dwarves. If they spot scouts or a stray group they will open fire and lure them to the forest to be butchered. If they give any kind of signal they will just flee for a while. If they spot a group of elites instead they will fire at the strongest all at once and run the hell out of there immediately.
- Phage unit tactic: In the event of an open melee the swarms should divide into phalanges and executioners. With the help of the wolf riders, mages and elites, the phalanges, armed with heavy shields and swords, should try to cut a portion of the incoming army. Once separated a second, more numerous group armed with maces and pikes and composed mostly on kobolds will atemp to surround the enemy and destroy it. When fighting in the trenches the phalange unit would keep the units at bay while the executioners jump over the trenches and tear them apart.
- Wolf raiders: Assemble an especialized wolf rider unit. Equiped with chainmails, maces and axes, their duty is to knock the dwarves of their feet. Each wolf raider unit shall be comprised of 2-3 jaguaradon rider and 5-7 wolf riders. They will ride in a diamond formation with the leaders in font and to a side, facing the dwarves. In each match they will attemp to engage combat with the edges of the mass of dwarves, charging tangentialy and avoiding elites and war machines. If the dwarves decide to form a protective front around their group, two wolf rider units will unite and charge in arrow formation, trampling and beating those pesky short bastards, and allowing the pahge unit do what it does the best. In any case the wolf riders should never stop to battle the dwarves, just harrass them and retreat.
- Night strike: if we manage to endure a day of fighting and the dwarves are forced to camp, use the following tactics. First, the sligapults will fire the oil pots on flames at estrategic points of the camp like troops and elites tents (not command nor provision tents or they may become berserk). Immediately some spellcasters will cast magical darkness or fog or something of the sort, followed by the rounds of hwacha and the Battleaxe's Fist. In the chaos the airforce division will open fire at the borders of the flames and drop poisonous smoke bombs on them while a kobold rogue team attemps to poison the provisions. Finally the goblins that ate the life food will mount the wolves and attemp to harrass any group that escapes the camp.
- Final front: in the event that, despite all the efforts, the dwarves manage to reach the vincinity of magma city, proceed as follows. Populate the forest close to the dwarven position with all manners of ranged warriors and try to diminish their numbers, aiming especialy to their divine casters. If they charge to the location retreat and try to target them with an area of efect magical or chemical srtike. Phalange teams should wait behind the trenches luring the dwarves into them. Once on the trenches divide the dwarves in groups with magic strikes and bombs, ambushing each group separtedly with the executioners. In case a trench is considered completely lost, the especial team will detonate wathever trap is planted inside, be it flamable oil or rapid growing vines, shooting it with the appropiate arrow.The scales trenches on the other hand are meant to lure the dwarves to the bombs, detonating them succesively while igniting the oil in the trenches. If the dwarves try to escape the trenches through the edges, use de boiling oil. once the dwarves reach the gates of the city evacuate all the troops inside the city, to the other side of the lava trench and detonate the weakspot, filling it with lava. While the non combatants exit the city through the escape tunnels, the lasting warriors will try to stop the dwarves, leading the battle to the homes and slowly retreating to the the scape route. If necesary, once the last survivor reaches the caves, blow up the entrance.

To be said in such case:
This is the final battle my fellow warriors. The dwarves have surronded us and outnumber our forces by vast amounts, but we have defeated them before and we will do so again. The strength of the dwarves is their momentum, if they lose it they become weak. While many other goblin tribes would easily fall to those vile tactics, our civilization has grown and matured in a harsh world, sharpening our mind and weapons to unheard extremes. We have prevailed through dragons, adventurers, forces from beyond our plane, and our own primitive nature. In all these years our might, wits and efforts have been victorious. There's no way a horde of barbaric brutes will take from us what we have achieved with so much sacrifice. This day the spear will defeat the hammer, unity will prevail over greed, Magubliyet will triunph over Moradin. This day WE SURVIVE. TO WAR ALLIANCE OF MONSTERS!
TO WAAAAAR!!!!

I wont be able to edit it untill late friday so if any one wants to sugest or modify something copy it and put the changes in italics. It should still count as my finest hour
Last edited by BlackTalons on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Image Go there. VOTE now.
BlackTalons
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Serne on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 am

let me get this right - you want us to build a LAVA TRENCH? I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!

Serne
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:20 am

B) Favor the intimidation factor. Use the Battleaxe's Fist as an opening volley to get the army's attention, with various illusions from the casters on board to make it look like there's more than one ship approaching. While the dwarves turn toward the ship and aim any hidden surprises at it, the Great Metal Dragon flanks them from behind.

C) Favor casters weakening the dwarves first before closing. You've got quite a LOT of casters in the kobold ranks, elite and otherwise; if the casters do a fighting withdrawl while the swarmers do their thing, the dwarves will focus on getting to the casters (and healers), losing a lot of fighters to the swarmers in the process.

D) Favor Ranged attacks over swarming, such as with your archers and Wind Walkers. You've got the benefit of knowing the terrain and can pick the best places to ambush with nets, crossbows, Wind Walkers, and the like.
Current Games:
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot

Postby ThroughTheWell on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:39 am

Add E to my previous 2.

This is our defense of home. Our elites should (with rare exception) be on the front lines showing that they are heroes not cowards. They should raise moral. If they fall, they should be avenged. Songs will be written this day. Plus they are some of our more powerfull troops, so they will show those dwarves what fer. (I can see one teller left beheind to activate the altar, and one warrior leader type left behenind in case decisions need to be made that can only be made from the rear. All other elites should find a place in battle.) I don't intend that our elites should bear so much of the burden that they become exhausted to the point of death, but I do think they will have a much bigger impact after C and D than B would. At some point we will be in close quarters combat, and at that point I want our best there.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Games