Goblins: Civilization

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Goblins: Civilization

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:25 am

Browsing 4chan a day or so ago, there was a very popular and entertaining thread where someone (in the role of storyteller) put forth a freshly-starting civilization and the other forum posters voted for what said civilization would be doing in the current situation (such as "study metals" or "train warriors" or "study potatoes") and the storyteller would advance the story accordingly. I thought a thread-game like that would be fun to try here, so I registered and here I am.

It really took off there, so I'm just going to dive in and hope for a similar interest. I hope this doesn't crash and burn. Simply reply to the post as to what you want this "Tribe" to do based on the choices offered, and I will advance the storyline every so often based on the forum-goers' choices. :)

==================================

The Tribe Begins in 600 AIE ("After Intelligence Evolves").

Climate is Rain Forest. Moderate to heavy rains in the summer, mostly mild winters though there are also frequentish short term cold snaps. Near-impassible mountains to the north. Thick rainforest to the west. High hills to the east. Beachfront property and a body of water too wide to go around (giant lake? ocean? unknown.) to the south. All unexplored. Two moons in the sky at night, one red and distant like Mars, one yellow/sulfuric-y like someone took a highlighter to our own moon.

"Technology", such as it is, is limited to "forest-y" stuff. Sticks, stones, logs, dirt. Animals if you can catch them. Basic knowledge of shelter is assumed (mostly mud huts and natural caves). One large central hut, one large natural cave nearby whose entry can be blocked with a boulder. There are a couple of roaming wolfdogs in the tribe, though they're only domesticated in the loosest sense of the word.

They say a population needs something like 400 to survive. You're not so lucky. You begin with the answer to life, the universe, and everything... a population of 42. 16 Men (including Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes, the current chief), 16 Women (including Quick-And-Sneaky, the clan's Teller), and 10 Children (noncombatants).

Every 5 years, half the women have between one and three Children each, and between 3% and 8% of the population dies of natural causes assuming a disaster like an earthquake or an exotic disease doesn't strike. At the end of every year, 7% of the Children become Adults with equal mix of Men and Women. Fractions dropped. :P A friend of mine did the math, barring a major disaster the little tribe would remain self-sufficient and stable.

All right then... here goes! Worst that can happen is a lack of interest.

=============================

THE CURRENT SITUATION (600.6 AIE):

It's been a good year so far. A new main camp has been established as the old hunting grounds across the hills to the east have been taken over by a more warlike tribe. The river to your north flows east-west and then south, cutting off much of the forest from the tribe. It is swift, too wide to cross without swimming (the tribe does not know how to swim) quite a bit, and too deep to ford. Food is in ample supply; the river is well stocked with fish and the plants around the Main Camp have a good supply of fruits and nuts, especially grapes. Lots and lots and lots of grapes in bright colors and shapes. Some are harder than others but all are recognizable as "grapes".

There seems to be an animal migration going on to the south, close to the beaches and the "Endless Water" beyond (no other land masses in sight on the horizon). Trackers on the last exploration saw far more hoofprints in the sands than would be normal, as well as the paw prints of several large feline predators. Such felines don't normally go near the new Main Camp though. They tend to hang out in the hills.

Large flightless birds, akin to red ostriches (but with scaly reptilian heads and a nasty corrosive spit, based on observations of the damage they do to the trees on their side) have been seen on the other side of the river. Thankfully they can't seem to cross it either, as those foot talons look NASTY. They are ill-tempered, smelly beasts, but thankfully they are out of range for their spit to reach the camp.

Quick-And-Sneaky has a bad feeling about those birds.

Will You... (Pick Two)

~A) Throw spears at the birds to scare them off?
~B) Send trackers to see what is up with the animal migration?
~C) Search the new area for new and different resources besides fish and small/medium game?
~D) Stock up on food and water in preparation for the worst, just in case?
~E) Attempt to teach the tribe to swim? Bridge building ain't on your list of skills.
User avatar
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby m0rtimer on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

It's the return of that game that was slightly different but awesome but got abandoned. :o

This will be aweome.

Ahem, personal choices of me...

B and D.
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
User avatar
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Naxus on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:39 am

Oooooo C and D
One Eye-Unlucky 13
Badges:Swift, Named his Poison, Flotsam


KeeperOfSecrets-Goblin Defence
Alive


Faine Urbain-Elemental Octet
Alive

The Minotaurs Maze
Ragnarok
User avatar
Naxus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 am

Doh thought it was free form till I got to the bottom.

Hm lets see

My votes go for D and B
~B) Send trackers to see what is up with the animal migration.
~D) Stock up on food and water in preparation for the worst, just in case.

Tough choice between A and B, both are potential dangers. I went with B though because it's the most unknown, and it seems the birds can't reach us for now(Plus we don't want to waste spears on pot shots).

Break down on what I think

A) Seems safe for now and this would waste spears
B) Hopefully our trackers will be able to identify both the Big cats and herd animal.
C) Good idea, however we don't have enough time to do this. It doesn't get us food and their are potential dangers around us.
D) Nothing wrong with being well prepared.
E) Seems like a bad idea. It's dangerous doing this normally but there are also acid spiting birds on the other side of the water. Would hate for "swimmer" to get hit by it's spit.

Round 1 Votes Edit2
Votes so Far
B and C
A 0
B 3 (Taberah, m0rtimer, thatguy)
C 2 (Naxus, thatguy)
D 3 (Taberah, Naxus, m0rtimer)
E 0
Last edited by Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby thatguy on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 am

B and C
User avatar
thatguy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:42 am
Location: The corner of your eye

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 am

THE TIME: 600.7 AIE (akin to June or so. The summer. Months will go up to .12, which will be the last month of that year.)
Population: 42. 16 Men, 16 Women, 10 children. One Chief, One Teller. Three "friendly" wolfdogs.
Holdings: One Main Camp with several mud huts on the bank of a large, fast flowing river well-stocked with fish. There is enough game in the forests to keep people alive. One Large Cave that is well-defended.
Morale: Morale is good. A new camp has been founded next to a prime source of water with good hunting grounds nearby.
Knowledge: The tribe knows: Basic Hunting (Melee), Gathering and Fishing. You folks may be short on population, but you ain't stupid.
Supplies: High levels of food, water and shelter both current and readily available. Clubs and spears for hunting/fishing.
"Named" population: Runs-From-Battleaxes (Chief), Quick-And-Sneaky (Teller).

Next Come Of Age Check at AIE 601.6
Next Childbirth Check at AIE 605.6

THE CURRENT SITUATION (600.7 AIE)

Runs-From-Battleaxes commands the tribe to "Track 'em down!" and see what is up with the animal migration. The trackers return and report success over the month; the creatures are described as about 90% giant elk-like. Bringing down just one of these things would feed the tribe for a good month or two, maybe even longer. The larger members of the giant herd have a snake attached to the center of their foreheads (defense against attackers, perhaps?) while the largest male and female of the herd both have a unicorn horn instead of a snake. There isn't any way the chief can see bringing down the largest ones. But catching just -one- would help the tribe's food supply immensely. The trackers seemed put off by the fact the herd was not moving according to instinct. Most migrations follow the river. This one went against the river, towards the hills of the tribe's enemies (though said enemies are far out of range at the moment).

The rest of the tribe busies itself with gathering food and fresh water. The land is bountiful and gives up her treasures quite easily, and before long the tribe has many woven reed baskets full of fish, grapes, fruits and nuts. Lots of multicolored insects too, and the tribe discovers that the stingy, bitey ones are sharply toxic. Other tribe members amuse themselves by making faces at the "Reptile Birds" and mocking them into spitting; the biggest of the Reptile Birds has a bit more range and can nearly projectile-vomit over the river. The birds CANNOT swim, though, and when one tried to leap into the river to cross, it was swept away downstream in a spray of squawking expletives and struggling feathers.

Three new things come to light when the monthly circle around the campfire meeting is called. The first thing is that the feline predators following the animal migration seem tense and nervous, as if something truly isn't right. Second, said migration isn't losing members to the predators. Either the Sabre Toothed Jaguars are bad hunters or something is stopping them from actively hunting properly and all they can do is follow. The last thing brought up is that one of the children found a large, slick, sulfur yellow stone which feels like wet plastic when handled. The size of a fist, it glistens slick-ly even when dry.

WILL YOU... (Pick Three)

A) Organize a party to go find the Reptile Bird? While it was swept away, you did NOT see it drown.
B) Send Trackers to follow the Animal Migration some more?
C) Build More Huts and solidify your position?
D) Hunt some of the Migration?
E) Gather more (and search for New) Resources? The Big Cave is half full of food, water, building supplies, and healing supplies (herbs, etc).
F) Take the Yellow Stone out of the Poorly Locked Chest so that Quick-And-Sneaky can have a look at it?
G) Praise Maglubiyet for the bounty, defendable position, and Tribe?
Last edited by BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Kide on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 am

Ok, I will say...

B, C and E.

Just decising quitr quicly right now, but seems like a fun story to follow. ^^
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
User avatar
Kide
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby m0rtimer on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 am

Hmmm... B, C and F.
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
User avatar
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 am

oo much faster then I thought it would update!

I pick A, C, I'll take f
Once again a tough choice for e or f(On one hand we might find new resources on the other we could of already found one)

A) If our luck is bad enough the bird could of came up on our side of the river. If so we need to kill it soon as possible, now would be agood time too since it's gotten beat up by the river.
B) They might be running from something. I don't think investigating them more will help since they seem to be leaving.
C) Buildings good, I feel vonulbale right now.
D) Were good on food right now and we don't want to risk lives hunting big game.
e) Were good on food for now, however new resources sounds good right about now.
f) It could be a new resource
g) Psh prayer won't save our face from being clawed off by a predator.

Round 2 votes Edit 2
A 1 (Taberah)
B 2 (m0rtimer, Kide)
C 4 (Taberah, Kide, m0rtimer, PicksUpSticks)
D 0
E 2 (Kide, PicksUpSticks)
F 2 (m0rtimer, Taberah)
g 1 (PicksUpSticks)
Last edited by Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby PicksUpSticks on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:53 am

C,E,G
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
User avatar
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 am

I'm going to be doing an "official" one over at http://planet-xybam.livejournal.com/ if you want to follow that one too (and PLEASE tell your friends about it!) starting in a couple days. That one will be updated twice a day; this one will update as I'm around to do so and am not doing other things in other programs like Second Life, Rift, or whatever.

Glad you like the story so far! Do keep me pinned to continuity. I hate plot holes. I'll try not to over-complicate possibilities.

Look for the next update to this in about 45 minutes to an hour, and tell some of the other forumites somehow to come in and vote! I wanna see pages upon pages of people voicing their opinions! :rootbeer:
User avatar
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby SharesLoot on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 am

Welcome to the forum, BigEarsTheFallen!
Thanks for starting such a great game. Please keep it running!

Yes, it's a game for strategy discussions and mutual enjoyment - count me in :D

I vote A, E, F.

Round 2 vote tally
A 2 (Taberah, SharesLoot)
B 2 (m0rtimer, Kide)
C 4 (Taberah, Kide, m0rtimer, PicksUpSticks)
D 0
E 3 (Kide, PicksUpSticks, SharesLoot)
F 2 (m0rtimer, Taberah, SharesLoot)
G 1 (PicksUpSticks)
╔═Clan Rampage══Goblin Gladiators II══Hats II══The Forsaken═══╗
╠═Hairy═════════Little Feet═════════Falls════Cockadoodle═══╣
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
User avatar
SharesLoot
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:31 am

C, E, & G

Don't underestimate the value of divine intervention & karma. Who knows, maybe it reduces the occurrence of natural disasters?

Round 2 vote tally
A 2 (Taberah, SharesLoot)
B 2 (m0rtimer, Kide)
C 5 (Taberah, Kide, m0rtimer, PicksUpSticks, ReadsVoraciously)
D 0
E 4 (Kide, PicksUpSticks, SharesLoot, ReadsVoraciously)
F 2 (m0rtimer, Taberah, SharesLoot)
G 2 (PicksUpSticks, ReadsVoraciously)
Current Games:
Clan Rampage - GM - Come check it out!
Capture the Flag - Nose-In-A-Book
The Awesomesword Wanes - Thinks Twice - Teller/Heal-Bitch
The Clan of the Connected Mesh - Casts the First Stone
The Lost Chapter Clan - Follows Tracks - Lvl 4 Ranger
User avatar
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

THE TIME: 600.8 AIE (summer dog days, slowly cooling toward the end of the month)
Population: 42. 16 Men, 16 Women, 10 children. One Chief, One Teller. Three "friendly" wolfdogs.
Holdings: One well-defended Main Camp with several mud huts on the bank of a large, fast flowing river well-stocked with fish. There is enough game in the forests to keep people alive. One Large Cave that is well-defended and stocked for the winter.
Morale: Morale is good to excellent.
Knowledge: The tribe knows: Basic Hunting (Melee), Gathering, Fishing, and Toxins N' Traps.
Supplies: High levels of food, water and shelter both current and readily available. Clubs and spears for hunting/fishing.
In the Poorly Locked Chest we have: ?Yellow Stone
"Named" population: Runs-From-Battleaxes (Chief), Quick-And-Sneaky (Teller).

Next Come Of Age Check at AIE 601.6
Next Childbirth Check at AIE 605.6

THE CURRENT SITUATION (600.8 AIE)

With the tribe split on most of the possibilities (with two votes each), Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes casts a deciding factor and decides the only good bird is a dead bird. He sends a small party out to track it down. The group was successful with moderate injuries; the Reptile Bird had learned all it needed to do was float instead of fight against the current and sink like a stone. If it could get over, it could get BACK, and if it could get back, it could teach the others. Fortunately the team dispatched to find it also managed to kill it with a pit trap filled with sharpened stakes. Its meat is not edible, its "venom" is stinky and toxic, and when it died, it -burst- in a spray of blood and guts. One tribe member's wounds received when they were fighting the beast were infected by the toxic spit and bile, but fortunately the damage was not permanent. The lower beak of the monster is brought back to be worn around the chief's neck as a trophy.

Resource gathering is highly successful. The Big Cave now has enough to last the winter, easily, if nothing splits the tribe beforehand. Reeds are gathered to make wicker and thatched roofs and the like, enough wood is brought in to keep the supply of spears stocked for some time, and stones and pebbles are gathered to build an arsenal of sling-weapons. The stingy, bitey insects have been studied, and their toxins harnessed for traps. While all of this was going on, one of the goblins spotted a different-colored Reptile Bird; this one an albino with a single electric-blue feather on its head. The other Reptile Birds stay very close to this one except for the largest one, who seems extremely agitated and turned off by its presence.

You've built as many huts and defenses as you can reasonably take care of. Fences to either side of the village make for a first line of defense, and some of the trees around the village are already rigged with log-battering-rams ready to be triggered if something large comes barrelling through. A good solid hit from one of the rams could knock a target almost two-thirds across the river. Maybe even all the way. Discussion is held regarding building some kind of armor suit and knocking a goblin over the river to explore, as well as be protected from the Reptile Birds.

During the night towards the end of the month, Quick-And-Sneaky receives a vision! Had you of gone and hunted the migration, while it would have been successful, you would have also lost a tribe member to the Sabre Toothed Jaguars... and said cats would have become aware of the village, and therefore aware of easier prey...

WILL YOU... [Pick three]

A) Study stonework and clay dug up by the side of the river during the resource gatherings?
B) Study the slick yellow stone out of the Poorly Locked Chest?
C) Feast, celebrating the end of summer, and a great harvest so far?
D) Study missile weapons (both in hitting the reptile birds and in getting a goblin across the river)?
E) Explore the lands on your side of the river, while hunting for Sabre Toothed Jaguars, in case they come too close to the village? They're unaware of you right now, but that won't last forever...
F) Study the woods, as it doesn't take a gnomish scientist to realize a fallen tree makes a nice bridge across the river, assuming you can find one?
G) Give praise to Maglubiyet?
User avatar
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby BurnsBees on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

H: Train the birds.

If not then ADF.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
User avatar
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3540
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, USA

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 pm

A, B, & F

I think our best protection is to give ourselves a technological edge during this momentary respite from attacks. And once again, I think a spiritual edge could be helpful, maybe providing divine protection and extra power for our teller.
Last edited by ReadsVoraciously on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Games:
Clan Rampage - GM - Come check it out!
Capture the Flag - Nose-In-A-Book
The Awesomesword Wanes - Thinks Twice - Teller/Heal-Bitch
The Clan of the Connected Mesh - Casts the First Stone
The Lost Chapter Clan - Follows Tracks - Lvl 4 Ranger
User avatar
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:37 pm

wooo this is really fun
I choose A, D, F
Now that we've settled in a little we can afford to spend some time learning about our new home

A) Best to do this now before the ground gets hard.
B) It'll be there later
C) Our moral is high, so we can hold off on this. Though everyone enjoys a good party there is just too much work to be done right now.
D) Though I don't like the idea of sending a goblin across. Ranged weapons are essential to our survival. It'll save lives and make hunting a lot safer.
E) Exploring sounds great, hunting Jaguars not so much. It will be much easier with bows.
F) It'll be nice to know whats edible and whats not. What type of bugs will attack you if you get too close etc. Learning about our environment will help us in the future.
G) Maybe later?

wow so far people are agree on almost everything
Round 3 Votes
A 3 (Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously)
B 1 (ReadsVoraciously)
C
D 2 (Taberah, BurnsBees)
E
F 3 (Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously)
G
User avatar
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Naxus on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:42 pm

A&F
One Eye-Unlucky 13
Badges:Swift, Named his Poison, Flotsam


KeeperOfSecrets-Goblin Defence
Alive


Faine Urbain-Elemental Octet
Alive

The Minotaurs Maze
Ragnarok
User avatar
Naxus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby PicksUpSticks on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

A 5 (PicksUpSticks, Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously, Naxus)
B 1 (ReadsVoraciously)
C
D 2 (Taberah, BurnsBees)
E
F 5 (PicksUpSticks, Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously, Naxus)
G 1 (PicksUpSticks)
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
User avatar
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby thinkslogically on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:52 pm

I vote B, D & F - no point getting too comfortable here if there's a catastrophe coming. An unnatural migration could mean fire or flood or a good old-fashioned god-smiting (a sulphurous stone could be meteoric or volcanic for example...).

A 5 (PicksUpSticks, Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously, Naxus)
B 2 (ReadsVoraciously, ThinksLogically)
C
D 3 (Taberah, BurnsBees, ThinksLogically)
E
F 6 (PicksUpSticks, Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously, Naxus, ThinksLogically)
G 1 (PicksUpSticks)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
User avatar
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:48 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby thatguy on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm

B,G,D
User avatar
thatguy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:42 am
Location: The corner of your eye

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:49 pm

B,G,D
A 5 (PicksUpSticks, Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously, Naxus)
B 3 (ReadsVoraciously, ThinksLogically, thatguy)
C
D 4 (Taberah, BurnsBees, ThinksLogically, thatguy)
E
F 6 (PicksUpSticks, Taberah, BurnsBees, ReadsVoraciously, Naxus, ThinksLogically)
G 2 (PicksUpSticks, thatguy)
User avatar
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby BigEarsTheFallen on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 pm

THE TIME: 600.9 AIE (slow cooldown in the air)
Population: 42. 16 Men, 16 Women, 10 children. One Chief, One Teller. Three "friendly" wolfdogs.
Holdings: One Well-Defended Main Camp with several mud huts on the bank of a large, fast flowing river well-stocked with fish. There is enough game in the forests to keep people alive. One Large Cave that is well-defended.
Morale: Morale is good, if not excellent.
Knowledge: The tribe knows: Basic Hunting (Melee), Gathering and Fishing, Toxins N' Traps
Supplies: High levels of food, water and shelter both current and readily available. Clubs and spears for hunting/fishing. Sharp pieces of clay for cutting and blades.
In the Poorly Locked Chest we have: ?Yellow Stone (Missing?)
"Named" population: Runs-From-Battleaxes (Chief), Quick-And-Sneaky (Teller).

Next Come Of Age Check at AIE 601.6
Next Childbirth Check at AIE 605.6

THE CURRENT SITUATION (600.9 AIE)

Researchin' goes at quite a quick pace. During this month, the Tribe (which has now given itself the name of the Clan of the Swift-Fast River) has figured out how to shape the clay on the walls of the river into workable pots. They're left to dry naturally and while most of them crack and crumble, a few can be used for additional storage. One goblin gets the idea of filling the pots with sharp stones and using them as bombs from the trees, letting gravity do all their work for them. Some goblins experiment with shaping clay into pieces of armor by using another goblin as a dummy to fit the pieces to. Needless to say after all was said and done, it was harder getting the goblin OUT of a hardened shell of clay than it was getting in. On top of that, hardened and sharpened chunks of clay seem to be useful for cutting and scooping.

Sling training improves, both in range and accuracy. The Reptile Birds have backed off except for the big one, strutting and peacocking around like it owns the river. While your range and accuracy has improved, its has not and it still can't reach you. Two more Reptile Birds take the plunge with many others onlooking. You can tell that while they might be unintelligent, they CAN learn. Both birds fail to make it across and drown. But it doesn't look like the river will be much of a barrier to them anymore. The smaller Reptile Birds have backed off and stay in the undergrowth, though their churbelly-kwooka-pleek calls keep you all awake at night. They won't let you forget that they are there.

There has been no other sign of the albino Reptile Bird.

Finally, it comes to the attention of Chief Runs-From-Battleaxes that two large trees to the east of the camp are perfect for chopping down and bridging the river. The tools are available, it beats building a giant sling to rocket a goblin-in-a-clay-shell across, and it is agreed that it is only a matter of time before the birds manage to cross and harass the tribe. The downside to the trees is that it marks the start of the Sabre Toothed Jaguar territory. An infringement on their territory, chopping them down may be a declaration of war, and some of those big cats are BIG. They've been getting closer to the village, too... but your skill in slings and traps have deterred them.

You've explored most of what you can without going into the domain of the Sabre Toothed Jaguars. Any further to the east and you'd best send a war party. Possibly with women. :P

One of the wolfdogs was taunting the Reptile Birds across the river, and jumped into the water trying to make its point when a goblin wasn't looking!

Quick-and-Sneaky is getting restless. It's been a while since she's done a proper ceremony for Maglubiyet. While going over prayers one day she casually checks the Poorly Locked Chest... and finds the Slick Yellow Stone missing!

WILL YOU...

A) Form a group to go find and recover the wolfdog?
B) Continue researching clay and stone for better armor or "shell" possibilities?
C) Continue researching wood and sticks for an eventual bridge or other ideas?
D) Search for the Slick Yellow Stone?
E) Continue researching slings?
F) Continue exploring, sneaking into Sabre Tooth Jaguar land to avoid being munched on?
G) Shut Quick-And-Sneaky up by holding a major ceremony for Maglubiyet?


I'm going out for a walk, then I'm going to hop into Rift (an MMO for those of you who don't know) for an hour or three. After that I'll have the next update. In the meantime, someone go into the chat and drag some more potential readers in here ;) I should have a map for the next update as well.
User avatar
BigEarsTheFallen
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm

oh my some things went awry, but what time of game would this be if things didn't.
Hopefully we don't have a thief. I like our goblins honest.
I'm not sure if we pick 2 or 3 I'll assume 3 because that's how it's been lately.

I vote A, D, G
Wow lots of hard choices this time around.

A) Live is valuable, we shouldn't let it go to waste.
B) I like research but we have some problems that need taken care of first.
C) We don't need to go and make more problems.
D) I think this is top priority. Whatever happened stealing can not be permitted, it sets a bad precedent, and we need to work together.
E) I like this idea, more def is definitely good because of all the near by enemies.
F) Another good option. So much work to do so little time.
G) We need to address this. Our teller is important and we need to keep him happy and we don't want to displease the gods.

A 1 (Taberah)
B 0
C 0
D 2 (Taberah, m0rtimer)
E 0
F 0
G 1 (Taberah)
Last edited by Taberah on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Taberah
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 am

Re: Goblins: Civilization

Postby m0rtimer on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Hmmm... A hard decision.

D. Not because I think that flimsy stone to be important (it probally is) but because I want to know who would steal it in the first place.
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
User avatar
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 am

 
Next

Return to Goblins Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests