The Clan of the Connected Mesh

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

The Clan of the Connected Mesh

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:08 am

This game is always accepting new players. Just PM me your info (see below) and I'll fit you in as soon as possible.

Plot----------------------------------------------------------------
The story begins with a group of goblins from the Clan of the Connected Mesh. Recently, their warcamp was attacked by soldiers from the nearby city or Bronzestar. They have taken this group prisoner, and are bringing them back to fight in their arena.

This game has little planned. It will be open-ended, for the forseeable future, but there will be spots where a character may choose to drop out, or new characters may join. I have certain things I want to include, but other than that, not much is planned out, and the story will largely be determined by your own choices. You may go where you wish, and do what you want.

Gameplay----------------------------------------------------------------
There are four important stats that everyone has: HP, Attack (Atk), Magic Attack (M. Atk), and Defense (Def). M. Atk is just like Atk, but for spells instead of physical attacks. Each point of Def negates one point of Atk/M. Atk each turn. The remaining Atk/M. Atk lowers the target's HP.

When you lose all your HP, you are incapacitated. If you are incapacitated, any attack or damage will kill you, even if it would not penetrate your defense. However, any other character may use their action to revive you to 1 HP. If they are attacked, they will be unable to revive you. If you are attacked as someone successfully revives you, you will be revived before the hit will take place. If, however, you are attacked, and the reviver is also attacked, you will die.

Goblins typically start with 5 HP, 1 Atk, 0 M. Atk, and 1 Def. Each character may also have any number of abilities, which may do anything from giving you a permanent stat increase to letting you throw fireballs and more. I will decide, using your backstories, the abilities you start with. You may also acquire new abilities throughout the game.

Abilities also take the place of roles. If there is a teller among the group, he will have a healing ability. If your chief was one of the ones captured, he might start with slightly higher stats. Some characters might also be able to gain abilities that others would not.

There are three types of abilities: Active, Activated, and Passive. Active abilities you use as your action, just like attacking. Activated abilities you use once like an Active ability, and then their effects continue until you do something to stop them. The stopping conditions vary. Passive abilities are always in use.

Throughout the game, you will find new equipment and other items. Whoever helped get something is welcome to claim it. Items may be traded around.

Goblins can move into an adjacent room on their turn. They may also attack, interface with their environment in some way, or do something else like that. They can sacrifice their action for an extra move, but they can't enter and then exit a room they haven't been to.

As you've probably noticed, this system is a modified version of LoneStarNorth's. If you don't follow his games, you should.

Updating----------------------------------------------------------------
You will have at least 24 hours to post before I update. It may be longer before an update, because my schedule is rather hectic.

If you know you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, you may choose someone to take over your character until you return. If you don't choose anyone, the first person to call it will take control. The person who takes over may still join the game whenever a spot opens up. If you are gone for a week, I will assume that you are unable to access the game for some reason, and someone will be allowed to take over until you return.

Character Information----------------------------------------------------------------
Each character needs, to start, a name and color. You should also include a backstory. While this doesn't need to be very long, important details may benefit you. They may also hurt you. I may also draw upon backstory details for future plot developments. Don't worry about that too much, though. Just list what you think might be relevant, whether it's a favorite weapon, a mind-numbing fear of spiders, or an orc friend from your childhood who you've lost contact with. If I need more information about a topic, I'll ask. In addition, please try to keep your backstories from conflicting. If someone says they are the clan's Teller, they will be the Teller. If someone says they are the Chief, they are. You can dispute it, and if they're nice, they may change for you, but ultimately, whoever posts first is canon. Take advantage of the potential in your backstories.

Only the starting characters were required to be goblins. Note, however, that extremely exotic races might be harder to fit into the story. I will also be attempting to keep the characters relatively balanced. If you've got major abilities, you'd better have limitations to match.

There are two ways for a new player to join this game:

If you PM me your character's information, I will try to find a place for them to show up. Note that these characters do not have to be goblins, and they do not have to be connected to the Clan of the Connected Mesh. If you know where the group is planning to head next, you can write a reason into your backstory for your character to be there. I'll work with you to figure things out. That's the reason we need to do this via PM. You may be receiving information that the group doesn't have.

The second way is to take control of a shadow character. From time to time, I will insert a very roughly-outlined character into the story. I will tell you that anyone can take over it. You will then need to fill in most of the details about the character, making sure that it matches up with the information I've given about it.

Magic----------------------------------------------------------------
Characters that can cast spells have the Magical ability, as well as a list of spells they know. Spells work like Active abilities. There is no MP or anything like that for you to keep track of. There are ways for characters to gain the Magical ability, if they don't start with it.

There are four disciplines of magic. White Magic includes Healing, Buffing, Light Blasts, and Resurrection spells. It is useful for supporting allies and taking on dark enemies. Black Magic includes Draining, Debuffing, Dark Blasts, and Necromancy spells. It is useful for weakening opponents and taking on light enemies. Elemental Magic includes Water, Fire, Ice, Earth, Lightning, and Wind spells. It consists primarily of powerful attacks. Sorcery includes Mana Blast, Telekinesis, Transformation, Summoning, Scrying, and Illusion spells. It is the most versatile discipline, with many spells for utility as well as combat.
While it's possible to learn basic spells from multiple disciplines, in order to learn advanced spells, characters must specialize. Casters who specialize in White Magic are called Clerics. Casters who specialize in Black Magic are called Warlocks or Witches. Casters who specialize in Elemental Magic are called Elementalists. Casters who specialize in Sorcery are called Sorcerers. After specializing, a caster will be able to learn all spells from that discipline, but will never again be able to use spells from the other three disciplines. Specialization can only be done in certain places after meeting certain criteria.

A second, deeper specialization is possible. This second specialization is purely beneficial. It increases the power of all spells in the caster's selected sub-discipline. However, the criteria for this second specialization is very demanding.

Obsidian Portal----------------------------------------------------------------
I have an Obsidian Portal wiki for the game set up here with all character info, items, abilities, spells, etc. Use it.
Last edited by Haragorn on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 49 times in total.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Re: The Clan of the Connected Mesh

Postby Dlover on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:46 am

Trains Wargs #8000BF

Trains was assigned as the trainer for the clan's warg population, but when one of the more vicious wargs attacked him, clawing across one of his eyes, he left the profession to tame the warg's less vicious cousin, the wolf. The clawing from the warg has left him blind in one eye, and he has long relied on his hearing to know when something is hiding nearby, whether waiting in ambush, or hiding from danger.

Good? I'm in a few other games right now, so if some other people that aren't involved in many other games I'll drop out.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:05 am

Looks good. Small cosmetic features are fine, as long as they aren't too complicated. This is what I've got Trains looking like right now:
If there's anything you want changed, let me know.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Quarg on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:19 am

Alright! A game!

Name: WalkstheNight color=#004000
Clan: Blue Island Clan

Color: Dark Green
Eye Color: Dark Blue

Ten days ago...

In the morning light, the sentry of the Clan of Mesh looked out along a hunting path. The tree's shadows made it seem like a dark tunnel. The sound of a red crested wippernuthatch calling out to the morning suddenly stopped. The sentry, LactoseIntollerant became more alert. His eyes scanned the dark passage and the woods around his post waiting to see what would...
"Do you always talk to yourself in a monologue?"

Lactose almost peed himself as he turned and faced the voice. It came from a rather tall, dark green goblin. The stranger looked on Lactose with eyes so deep blue that seemed to stare into his soul. The green goblin was dressed in a black cape with a set of leather jacket and pants. Unlike most goblins Lactose had ever met, the green goblin also wore knee high black leather boots. A bow with a quiver of arrows was strapped across his back.
"Who are you?"
"I am WalkstheNight, the Scryer of The Blue Island Clan." the stranger announced, his voice was deep with the odd accent of the far southern seas.
Lactose blinked for a second and then turned calling into the camp. "We have a...visitor...rouse the fortune teller."
"So what are you doing here?"
"I'm a Scryer..." WalkstheNight answered, seeing the blank expression in the sentry's features Walks shook his head and explained. "A Scryer is like a fortune teller, that is we are gifted with the use of magic, but unlike a fortune teller who sees the wheels of fate, we can see objects or individuals which allows us to seek them out."
"So then Blue Island Clan sent you here?"
"No...like most Scyers, I've wandered all over the land for various clans and even non-goblins seeking what they prize."
"Oh, so that's where you got the fancy gear?"
"Yes...it is... and why I've learned to be stealthy, a good number of those objects are usually in the possession of people who will not welcome someone like me looking for their stash, especially the dragons."
"Oh...yeah...I can see that..." though Lactose wondered why the other goblin had been stealthy coming to his camp. "But why do the call you WalkstheNight?"
"Because I Scry using the stars therefore I usually must walk in the night."
"Oh..."
The fortune teller, SlimandSexy had finally waddled out of her hut and was looking at them both. She waved her large, flabby arm indicating that Lactose should allow the stranger to enter the camp
The fortune teller, appeared in the distance and waved his arm indicating that Lactose should let the
Lactose watched as the green goblin quietly crossed through the camp towards the fortune teller.

Edit: Grammer and writing correction, also fixing the name of the Teller, but I still love the concept of SlimandSexy...
Last edited by Quarg on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
HP: 5/5
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:24 am

Hmmm... Part of me feels compelled to sign up. But at the very least, I'm going to wait out and see if others want to join before me. (That, and I may or may not have began work on my second game. :shifty: )

But that doesn't stop me from wishing you the best of luck on this game :)
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 am

im in

asks a lot or asks for short

color light green or blue if green is taken

asks a lot was always a curious little goblin. always wanting to learn new things, as a child he often went to the woods to look for strange plants bugs and other things and learn about as much as possible about them
he asks a lot of strange question and got in a lot of fights becous of this luckely he isnt much of a fighter more a lover he says himself and chooses not to fight and simple walks away. happely to his next adventure.

i hope this is good this it the first background stor i ever wrote
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby Joko on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 am

Wets His Whistle #FFBF00

From a young age, Wets was partial to ingesting... anything. Inevitably this led to his discovery of the liquid left by very old grapes. He's been the clans primary brewer, landlord and drunk for a good few years now, and after a hard raid the warriors know to go to Wets' Tavern to relax and imbibe to their heart's content.

Cheers! :rootbeer:
Wets His Whistle - Clan of the Connected Mesh
HP/Status: 8/8
Atk: 2 (Base 1, Torch +1)
Def: 2 (Base 1, Bladed Shield +1)
Abilities: Toxic Resistance
Spells: Raise Dead
Inventory: Torch (+1 Atk, Holding), Bladed Shield (+1 Def, +1 Atk, Holding) Amulet of Lesser Healing (+3 HP, Wearing), Light Cloth Armour (Wearing)
DRINKS OWED - 1
Joko
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ralton on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:35 am

Helps Swiftly #FF8000

Helps was one of the clan's fastest scouts, until their old Teller died and the Chief proclaimed him Teller. He has learned to mesh his gifts to become a swift combat medic, even saving Eats A Bear, the chiefs son, in the Battle of River Cove.
Last edited by Ralton on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, and sit back and watch the world ponder how you did it.
Ralton
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:36 am

This looks very cool :)

If I can join, I'll go with a goblin simply called Ghost. She has a natural talent for going unnoticed, making her an excellent hunter and while not the strongest of the tribe by any means, she is deeply loyal to her clan. During the last (2nd-to-last?) raid on the warcamp she led a successful ambush against a small group of adventurer who had raided the clans poorly-locked chest and were attempting to escape with the prize... Thanks to her, they didn't make it far out of the village.

Pale colours would probably be most appropriate, but they suck on a forum so I'll just go with This - #008080 (very middle, top row)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 am

These look good so far. Lots of cool characters.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 am

This is the group as it currently stands:
Last edited by Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:48 am

Awesome :) Quite jealous of Trains's cool scars!

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 am

I can certainly give you some if you'd like. And who knows? Maybe you'll pick up a scar or two in your adventures.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 am

Quick and easy background story can still end up how you want it. That's good for Trains.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:05 am

Haragorn wrote:I can certainly give you some if you'd like. And who knows? Maybe you'll pick up a scar or two in your adventures.

haha :) thanks, but it's ok, I can't think of anythign that seems appropriate at the moment anyway - ghost doesn't seem like the type to get into fights where she doesn't already have the advantage, so scars probably wouldn't fit just now. We'll see what she picks up as we go!

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby BurnsBees on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:15 am

(LikesTo) EatGoblins (for breakfast!)

Many a day ago many goblins forgot the last part of his name. They forget why eats don't go on shifts ever to watch the kids. On a night he was watching, a few kids were missing. The goblins tried to track down the animal that has done this, but they couldn't find the creature. They look to Eat and asked him where they went and he said that they were dead. The teller gets up and points a finger at eat and told that he is living his namesake. The teller gets confused looks and then the teller told them the last part of his name. They exiled him from the clan, but every so often a stray goblin goes a bit too far in the woods and never to return.

I almost put EatsBrains into this game, I like her backstory, but I'm still not sure if she will make it out of the Zombie dungeon alive. (though if she is I am putting her in another game or two)
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:32 am

The question is, if Eats was exiled, why was he back in the camp during the raid? If you can answer that, it's fine.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby LicentiousDey on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 am

One-Sided (#404000)

One sided is one of the strongest warriors in the clan, although with strength comes rashness. His left arm was severely crippled in a one on one fight with a bugbear, meaning he can only use his right arm (his left arm is not totally useless, just shriveled and weak). He took his name to heart from that point on and worked his right arm until he was strong enough to wield any weapon with one arm. He is no longer as rash, but he can lose patience easily.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:57 am

the goblins look great just one little thingie they look so surious :D maby you could try to make them look a bit happier.

the game looks great im looking foward to or first turn !
Last edited by askstoomuch on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby BurnsBees on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:03 am

Haragorn wrote:The question is, if Eats was exiled, why was he back in the camp during the raid? If you can answer that, it's fine.

Different clan.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:47 am

BurnsBees wrote:Different clan.
Gotcha.
I wasn't sure how I would be able to make One-Sided's arm look messed up. Even if it doesn't really look different, it'll still come into play.
Last edited by Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 am

:D thats what im talking about that looks great :P

i cant wait for the first update
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby LicentiousDey on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:53 am

I was thinking it was tied in a knot looking and just barely off the shoulder. I don't know how that would look though...
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Haragorn on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 am

Do you mean a sling or something, or is the arm literally tied in a knot? If goblins had thicker arms, I'd just draw it much thinner. If it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't need to be visible. You said he can still use it, which implies that it's still mostly-normal.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Jacon on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 am

Don't know if all slots are open. Heres mine just in case.

Name: Wears A coat
color Brown

Wears A Coat is known as being a silent defender of his tribe and being a loyal warrior to his chief. Although slow in thought Coats often comes to the best solutions. He hates puzzles and enjoys simple combat. Coats was often on the first line in battle and the last to leave making him one of the most feared warriors. The death of the camp was a horrible blow to him and he has slipped even more so into silence, pondering the time when he can get his revenge.
Coats is often seen with a pipe in his mouth. He claims it relaxes him even though he hardly smokes.
Name:"Wears-A-Coat ( Delve Version)
Hp: 3/5
Attack: 4 ( 3 plus warhammer. Two handed.
def: 2 +1 to slashing weapons( Helmet +1)

Wears-a-long-coat
HP: 5/5 HP
MP: 3/3 MP
ATK: 3 ( +2 two handed bone sword)
DEF: 1
INT: 1

I'm very interested in playing a goblin game. If you create a new one let me know
Come join my game The New Goblin Warriors. viewtopic.php?f=136&t=113403
Jacon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Goblins Games