Top (Current) Forum Games- Updated 05/01/12

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Top (Current) Forum Games- Updated 05/01/12

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 am

In case anyone is interested, I made up a list of the most popular games on the forum at the moment (worked out based on no. views / no. posts). It's probably not a revelation to anyone who's been on the forums for a while, but they are all pretty good examples of what makes games successful on a forum and might be of interest to anyone wanting to start a game of their own (or just enjoy the stories!):

1. Hats (Forum Game) 26.46
2. God School (Forum... Game?) 20.52
3. Zombie Bait (Forum Game) 17.30
4. Goblin Defence (Forum Game) 16.72
5. Goblins in Hell 16.01
6. Unlucky 13 (Death Count: 50) 15.12
7. Escape From Brassmoon (Forum Game) 14.58
8. Capture The Flag (Practise Game #7) 13.51
9.The Minotaurs Maze(Forum Game) 13.13
10. Pit of Despair 10.12

This is based entirely on the 1st page of the forum, and I've ignored games that appear to have died, or have been completed or threads that are not games (e.g. the God School lesson thread) or are still in sign-up stage.

For interest, LDD scored 32.2, but Arena Slaves is so far the most popular, with a score of 32.68.
Also for interest, the average forum game gets 11.93 views per post :)

SPOILERS:PS I'm aware this is in no way scientific and will change all the time, but I think its' a bit interesting
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Re: Top (Current) Forum Games

Postby Ziprath on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:27 am

I can't believe that Escape From Brassmoon is so low down it was always my favourite.
But I like that Hats is the most popular because it is just crazy (and we all love crazy).
The New Goblin Warriors
Scouts Ahead
6/6 Hp +5(Goblin) +1 (Tough)
ATK 7 +1(Goblin) +3(Duel Spears) +1(When using a spear-like weapon) + 1(Helmet) +1(Training)
DEF 6 +1(Goblin) +1(Helmet) +1 (Black wolf cloak) +1 (Tough) +2(Leather Armour)
Traits: Hunter, Spear mastery, First aid, Tough
Items: Backpack, flint and steel, 30ft rope. bedroll and a bottle. Holy symbol. Symbol of Kord, 79 gold, Potion of forest scent, purple vial
Ziprath
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby m0rtimer on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:31 am

Well, it ain't exactly accurate. I mean, the escape of brassmoon players are really active, which is why there are so many posts for so many views.

Dividing views by total amount of days the topic is posted would probally be more accurate, but that'd be hellofa job. This is close enough :)

(aww, my game scored only an nine :P)
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 am

Aye, there's a few that are a bit surprising, like Pit of Danger not making it (though that was 11th) :) But yes, Hats being on top was pretty ineveitable :D

Actually, just realised that there was an error in the first list - the Civ 4 game (original, not FFH) shouldn't have been there, bringing Pit of Danger up to no. 10.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:35 am

m0rtimer wrote:Well, it ain't exactly accurate. I mean, the escape of brassmoon players are really active, which is why there are so many posts for so many views.
Dividing views by total amount of days the topic is posted would probally be more accurate, but that'd be hellofa job. This is close enough :)
(aww, my game scored only an nine :P)

There are a lot of ways to do it, but this was easiest :) Also, I think it gives a pretty good idea of popularity - people can argue ad nauseum over whether game x should be 3rd or 4th on the list, but it doesn't matter at the end of the day because they're both really popular games. Probably removing the ranks altogether and just having the top 10 pool would be fairer.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby kelten on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:50 am

Sorry, but thats a stupid system

If you want the most popular game, just look at the number of vews per day.
Number of posts has nothing to do with it.

Active posting isent the same as bad game
Stabsafoot
HP: 6/9 ATT:15 (1+13+1) DEF:29 (2+21+1) CHR: +14
Equipment:
Blooddrinker: +10 ATT +4 CHR, extra dmg to evil, drains life
See-all boots: +5 DEF +2 CHR a chance of noticing a trap before setting it off.
mightyoak shield, intricate greaves, +2 intricate chainmail, magic gloves, heavenly ring: allows smite evil
darkforged helmet, ring of health

In debt:
Dead, but in heaven in the game Hats

Hits to hard, training for cheff

Keltens betting station, gamble away with the goblin crowd!
kelten
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:00 am

No, it doesn't make a bad game, but I still think it's a valid (and very simple) proxy measure. It also allows for games that stop for a while and start up again, which views per day would penalise against (e.g. garden of the forking paths for example), which also doesn't make a bad game. I'd be surprised if the results were massively different (though I agree views per post will penalise games with a lot of players). Views per day is a better measure, but someone else will need to work that out

Dammit!

Views per day:

1. Zombie Bait (Forum Game) 294.62
2 .Hats (Forum Game) 280.35
3. Escape From Brassmoon (Forum Game) 275.59
4. TK Serial Killers Round 21 - Kill 3 204.66
5. Goblin Defence (Forum Game) 171.56
6. God School (Forum... Game?) 168.52
7. The Pit of Danger 150.78
8. Kobolds ate my baby! (Test run) 112.33
9. Goblins in Hell 110.04
10.The Minotaurs Maze(Forum Game) 107
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:36 am

Ok, now there are 2 lists :)

Not a lot of difference between them really except for one or two. Anyway, neither way of doing it is unbiased, but you can pick the list you like better :)

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby LooksAndSmiles on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:48 am

thinkslogically wrote:No, it doesn't make a bad game, but I still think it's a valid (and very simple) proxy measure and I'd be surprised if the results were massively different (though I agree views per post will penalise games with a lot of players). Views per day is a better measure, but someone else will need to work that out

Dammit!

Views per day:

1. Zombie Bait (Forum Game) 294.62
2 .Hats (Forum Game) 280.35
3. Escape From Brassmoon (Forum Game) 275.59
4. TK Serial Killers Round 21 - Kill 3 204.66
5. Goblin Defence (Forum Game) 171.56
6. God School (Forum... Game?) 168.52
7. The Pit of Danger 150.78
8. Kobolds ate my baby! (Test run) 112.33
9. Goblins in Hell 110.04
10.The Minotaurs Maze(Forum Game) 107

Now that is a more accurate list, I like it much more. The only problem with it that it disregards the duration of a thread. E.g. My kobolds game is 3 days old at most, it shouldn't be mentioned on the same place with games with months behind them.

Ok, I know, you can't really make a perfect top list. However, if you make 6-8 statistics by 6-8 different criteria, there will be recurring games and that is a sign of them being good. Of course we know that everything marked by the name of LSN (ECR, Ratha, Warlock, and so on) automatically means "awesome", but still.
LooksAndSmiles
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 am

True, but it also shows the kobolds game has a lot of enthusiasm behind it as a concept :)

I could make lots of lists to compare games of different durations, artwork v text etc. etc. but that really is too much hassle! Unless anyone else wants to give it a go of course :D

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby LooksAndSmiles on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 am

Well, if an introducing thread will be created, I think it would start with some general rules of behaviour and what to find here, and inevitably should contain a list of either the most popular games of all-time, or a list of active games, or a list of every game, or something. Since it will likely result in a wall of text, maybe it could be dissected into different sub-topics.

One of these would be your statistics thread, if you're willing to do it. Let's say you create 10 different statistics at the end of each week. It will be an immense work at the beginning, but those of us who like to look at pretty graphs and data would certainly appretiate it. It would also be an interesting track of the games' progresses.

Don't know if this thread was just a random newborn of your curiosity and just a one-time heat, or you plan on keeping it up-to-date. In any case, even this 1-time opening was a nice work!

(Also, if you plan on keeping it up-to-date and request help, it could be a good idea to open a global document somewhere and let the helpers edit that too. You could assign different measures to different people, making the process faster.)

OK, now I'm overthinking everything again. :D Nevermind. Thanks for the post, though. :D
LooksAndSmiles
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 am

Nope, this was just the product of my own curiosity (and I like making graphs :)), but I'd be happy to put a spreadsheet up online and help keep it updated. It's actually not much work - the lists above took about 10 minutes each and future ones would be quicker if it just needed the new numbers to be inputed. I can't commit to being around to do it all the time (I know I will be offshore in Aug / Sept this year anyway), but I can get it set up no bother.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby LicentiousDey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:14 am

<.<
I used to go to this roleplaying website. There was this "Big Man on Campus" type of guy that everyone listened to even though he was a total dick. His name was Anthony. He was always putting down everyone as noobs who don't know how to roleplay, even his roleplaying buddies. He said he always did awesome roleplays elsewhere, but he never did roleplay on the site only shut down any one he saw.

Why am I talking about this? Well! At one point (just before I left for this place) he put up a list of the top roleplayers and another of the top Dungeon masters. Of course him and his two friends on the site were the top three. The list was highly arbitrary, but that did not stop people from saying they were better than others by referring to it. I remember I had beaten this one guy in T2 combat who was third (I was sixth) on the list for roleplayers and he started complaining and bitching about how it shouldn't be possible that a ranked 3rd guy could be beat by a ranked 6th guy.

What I'm trying to say is, go ahead rank the games here, but don't let the rankings go to your head.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby WorstCase on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:38 am

@ Licenteous Dey: For German soccer games, there is a saying: Nicht der Stärkste gewinnt immer, sondern der Gewinner ist der Stärkste.
Means: Not the strongest is always winning, but the winner is the strongest. :wink:
My first Goblins Fancomic 'Risks &Sideeffects':
http://www.acyn.net/RSE_main.html
The second fancomic 'Heimspiel' can be found here (as well as some other Goblins related fan-art):
http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... se_Comics/
!!!Heimspiel is back!!! At least for now.

And here you'll find the players progress map for the 'Let There Be Hats'-Forumgame:
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... g_02-3.png
WorstCase
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:29 am

Definitely, this is just a bit of fun, and these lists are in no way meant to be a judgement on any of the games here. However, they do show some of the most popular games on the forum right now, and it's a decent list to show people who are perhaps new to the forums what games might be worth checking out first. They're also good examples of games that WORK in a forum, with good GMs, good rules / concepts and dedicated players if people are looking for ideas to start their own games.

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby SharesLoot on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 am

Nice lists!

The list I went by when I first began reading this forum was simple: I just looked at the posts with the most views. Here's my list.

Most-viewed threads in this forum (rank, hits, name, creator):
  1. 62922 The Last Ditch Dungeon (LSN)
  2. 55552 The Arena Slaves (LSN)
  3. 36502 Hats (LSN)
  4. 34496 Escape From Brassmoon (ECR)
  5. 25068 Goblin Defence (Ratha)
  6. 18384 The goblin heroes (M0rtimer)
  7. 14203 THUNTWORLD SERIAL KILLERS (harmsc12) [Round1 - Rounds 5, 7 and 10 also have over 10000 hits]

My personal top five:
  1. Goblin Defence
  2. Hats
  3. Escape from Brassmoon
  4. TW Serial Killers
  5. Last Ditch Dungeon

Personally, I think Goblin Defence ranks so "low" on other lists (than my personal one) because Ratha's approach is quite different from LSN's. The forum games here have to deal with a large amount of random or mindless roleplaying, and Goblin Defence is so neatly crafted as to require players to think and act together. No offense to any of its players, but over half of you have been acting randomly A LOT. Foxes, for example, was seldom a disciplined player assisting the team. She was cute, and reeeally obsessed with foxes, but not very effective. The setting, images and story, along with some decent and some brilliant roleplaying, make it my favorite.

Hats and Escape from Brassmoon accomodate randomness better, AND the players act less(!) random there.

My $0.02 :D
╔═Clan Rampage══Goblin Gladiators II══Hats II══The Forsaken═══╗
╠═Hairy═════════Little Feet═════════Falls════Cockadoodle═══╣
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
SharesLoot
Keenspot Despot

Postby kelten on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 am

You forgot Carrebs Catacombs
Stabsafoot
HP: 6/9 ATT:15 (1+13+1) DEF:29 (2+21+1) CHR: +14
Equipment:
Blooddrinker: +10 ATT +4 CHR, extra dmg to evil, drains life
See-all boots: +5 DEF +2 CHR a chance of noticing a trap before setting it off.
mightyoak shield, intricate greaves, +2 intricate chainmail, magic gloves, heavenly ring: allows smite evil
darkforged helmet, ring of health

In debt:
Dead, but in heaven in the game Hats

Hits to hard, training for cheff

Keltens betting station, gamble away with the goblin crowd!
kelten
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 am

I'm sure everyone's personal list looks different. A vote would probably be more fair than going by number of views since the style of game influences the numbers. (I think the early rounds of SK would score very high, mainly because there were 25-30 players who had to post every day and keep up with the thread. There's no way a game with, say, six players could keep up, since they simply don't need to post as much.)
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Experiment on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Cool stuff, I love checking out statistics! And holy crap, 62,000+ views for LDD? That's crazy!

*Resists the urge to begin statistical modeling of the threads on this forum*
Tries-too-hard, Lv5 Strategist

A Fiesty One
HP: 5/5
Att: 3 (4 vs wildlife)
Def: 3 (4 vs undead)
Inventory:
A bunch of text that I will spare you from.
Experiment
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby EvilCoatrack on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:49 pm

It occurs to me after looking at that first list that I've posted way too much in EFB - 431 times and I've only done 115 turns!

My apologies to the new readers who have to navigate through all that clutter over 96 pages - but I did warn you in the title that it was a "Monster Tale"!
So I run some forum games:
Read Into Brassmoon City, a 52-turn completed prologue to EFB done entirely within 2 days.
Check out the Escape from Brassmoon, Complete at 171 turns!
Discover the Destiny of the Stonetear Clan, currently in progress.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby PicksUpSticks on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Goblin Hero's

Its got a dwarf called Bono, and we have pretty much screwed everything up possible

Let the second bad guy loose, let his powers that were stripped away return to him, let the powerful weapon get stolen by someone, watch our best hope get murdered, and never noticed the enemy was listening in on the plans the entire time.

On the bright side though, we have a crap-ton of ore.

Second: Capture the Flag, cause everyone is a winner... Unless your a pig.
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kelvara on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 pm

EvilCoatrack wrote:It occurs to me after looking at that first list that I've posted way too much in EFB - 431 times and I've only done 115 turns!

My apologies to the new readers who have to navigate through all that clutter over 96 pages - but I did warn you in the title that it was a "Monster Tale"!

I've posted 289 times in that thread, and I'm not even running the game! So really, it's all my fault for spamming your wonderful creation. :(
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:07 am

notimportant wrote:I'm sure everyone's personal list looks different. A vote would probably be more fair than going by number of views since the style of game influences the numbers. (I think the early rounds of SK would score very high, mainly because there were 25-30 players who had to post every day and keep up with the thread. There's no way a game with, say, six players could keep up, since they simply don't need to post as much.)

Perhaps Views per Player should be list three :)
But I agree, there are loads of ways this could get worked out and at the end of the day it's pretty meaningless. Just a bit of fun for those interested really!

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:36 am

Update: 24/6/11

Views Per Day
The Clan of the Connected Mesh - 334.00
Zombie Bait - 308.21
Hats - 286.34
Escape From Brassmoon - 277.83
TW Serial Killers Round 22 - Dummy Kills - 268.25
Goblin Defence - 169.89
God School - 161.19
The Pit of Danger - 154.14
The goblin heroes - 105.63
Goblin Gladiators - 99.44

Views per Post
Hats - 26.51
God School - 21.05
Zombie Bait - 18.44
Goblin Defence - 17.08
Escape From Brassmoon - 14.82
Unlucky 13 (Death Count: 58) - 13.97
Capture The Flag (Practise Game #7) - 13.63
The Pit of Danger - 12.77
The Minotaurs Maze - 11.7
Webcomics Zanza - 11.52

Updated for this week's new totals, once again this is just for interest and you can make of it what you will :)

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Re: Top (Current) Forum Games- Updated 24/6/11

Postby LooksAndSmiles on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm

necro bumping this thread...

Anyone up for new statistics? I'm too lazy to make one, but would like to see how things fare. There has been a great influx of games in the last month! (Maybe that's also the reason it's hard to find unoccupied players for new ones...)
LooksAndSmiles
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Goblins Games