The Kobold Prisoner! (Contest Results on Page 2!)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Re: The Kobold Prisoner! (New Character Contest for EFB)

Postby EvilCoatrack on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Just a little over an hour left to enter!

I'll follow Keenspot's clock for the deadline, meaning anything submitted on or before 7:00 PM EDT (about 1 hour, 10 minutes from the time of this post) will be accepted. Sharp cut-off time though, so anything after that time isn't gettin' read.
So I run some forum games:
Read Into Brassmoon City, a 52-turn completed prologue to EFB done entirely within 2 days.
Check out the Escape from Brassmoon, Complete at 171 turns!
Discover the Destiny of the Stonetear Clan, currently in progress.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wolfie21384 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:59 pm

EvilCoatrack wrote:Holy crap there are a lot of excellent applications. You guys aren't making this easy on me.

Were we supposed to? :wink:

ECR wrote:Just a note: I've only got one open slot (I really cannot handle actions from more than 9 or so players per update), and regrettably, the majority of you will face disappointment when the winner is announced (which should hopefully be tomorrow). I promise that by me picking someone else over you, I am in no way judging you personally - I don't know you in any way and am not knowingly biased against anyone on this forum. I've yet to read any of the actual character backgrounds, and will try to separate them and read them "blindly" to rank them according to what I think will be best for the game as a whole. Then I'll review the more personal reasons as to why I should select each individual player (as opposed to character), and that will play a role in the decision. If things are still very close, it could come down to flipping a coin.

My intention with this kind of contest was to provide, even for the vast majority of applicants who won't be selected, at least some level of interaction with the game. I fully anticipate that a lot of people will be disappointed by my decision and that some may say I didn't make the right one. My preemptive response to this sentiment is that I agree with you. I'm incapable of making the right decision here because there is no right decision. I wish I could give you all characters, but unfortunately I'm not able to make that many games.

If I get chosen, I promise I will jump up and down screaming like I won the lottery. I might even have someone tape it. :D However, if I don't win, there will be no tears shed, only hearty congratulations to the lucky person and a good luck wish.

If nothing else, this could be fodder for a spin-off game later on down the road. Thanks for the opportunity ECR.
Wolfie21384
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Just out of curiosity, howcome so many of the potential kobolds had names starting with "Sc"? Scuffles, Scratchit, Scribbles, Scalgisss (in addition to Scarrrgh who is already in the game).
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Experiment on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:53 pm

notimportant wrote:Just out of curiosity, howcome so many of the potential kobolds had names starting with "Sc"? Scuffles, Scratchit, Scribbles, Scalgisss (in addition to Scarrrgh who is already in the game).

Yeah, I was noticing that too. I think it's because kobolds are reptilian, so the hissing sound is pretty prominent in their names, and given their perceived personalities, their names also lend themselves to hard consonants such as k and g. Putting those two together, the 'Sc" blend is a fitting choice.
Tries-too-hard, Lv5 Strategist

A Fiesty One
HP: 5/5
Att: 3 (4 vs wildlife)
Def: 3 (4 vs undead)
Inventory:
A bunch of text that I will spare you from.
Experiment
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silentobserver on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:23 pm

notimportant wrote:Just out of curiosity, howcome so many of the potential kobolds had names starting with "Sc"? Scuffles, Scratchit, Scribbles, Scalgisss (in addition to Scarrrgh who is already in the game).

I did mine just because I had been thinking about Ice Age (For some reason) and I wanted the name Scrat in there :P
Clan Rampage
Splatters Gnomes – Walking Armory
HP: 3/5, Att: 4, Def: 4-6
Skills: Battle Tactics (Passive) - +1 Attack
Inventory: Pitchfork, Holey Cloak w/ Bell Clasp, Leather Armor, Leather Cap x2, Pear, Leather Helmet x2, Short Sword x2, Invisibility Potion, Wooden Shield, Broadsword
Silentobserver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby EvilCoatrack on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:39 am

Contest Results!

So I just spent quite a while sifting through the 14 excellent applications submitted for the new kobold character, and I must let you all know that they were all great and I had a lot of fun reading them!

Unfortunately, I had less fun as I kept going back over the backgrounds and player comments in order to narrow the applicants down. Some of the things I took into consideration include: Strength of the character's background, "fit" of the character in Escape from Brassmoon, past gaming history on these forums, and recent/current games in which the applicant played or plays.

I gradually worked my list down from the original fourteen to just four, and, after deciding that I didn't have a good reason for excluding either of the four as opposed to the others, did a random roll to determine which of those got in.

And the winner of that roll is...

Noctis, played by CrystalOfRoses!

Congratulations! As soon as Nox is freed from her cage, you'll be able to take control of her actions!

For the 13 Runners-Up:
Each of you now has a slightly higher chance of getting into my next forum game than those who did not (or could not) apply! This basically translates into a 50% chance to have a +1 added to the die roll I'll be making for you if you sign up for a chance to get into my next game. No ETA on when you can expect to see it, as much of the game will be determined by things happening in Escape from Brassmoon, but I'm sure you'll all spot the thread on this forum when it goes up.

I won't say whose applications got knocked out on any specific stage of my review, but I will say that it was a very close call and you all suck for putting me through it. Jerks.
So I run some forum games:
Read Into Brassmoon City, a 52-turn completed prologue to EFB done entirely within 2 days.
Check out the Escape from Brassmoon, Complete at 171 turns!
Discover the Destiny of the Stonetear Clan, currently in progress.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby SuperVaderMan on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:57 am

EvilCoatrack wrote:I won't say whose applications got knocked out on any specific stage of my review, but I will say that it was a very close call and you all suck for putting me through it. Jerks.

Aww... What about in a PM?

Anyways, congrats Roses
Hats (Complete)
Bleeds Profusely
Lance & shield user, gnome racist, pikmin captain, and conqueror of the mouse hole.
SuperVaderMan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: The Kobold Prisoner! (Contest Results on Page 2!)

Postby m0rtimer on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Congratulations Roses! :)
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby askstoomuch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:37 pm

hurray for crystal :D
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations CrystalOfRoses! Is there a short name that you prefer, Crystal or Roses? Or do you prefer the full moniker? :D
Current Games:
Clan Rampage - GM - Come check it out!
Capture the Flag - Nose-In-A-Book
The Awesomesword Wanes - Thinks Twice - Teller/Heal-Bitch
The Clan of the Connected Mesh - Casts the First Stone
The Lost Chapter Clan - Follows Tracks - Lvl 4 Ranger
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Well deserved, and I think Nox will be a great addition to the game. :D
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kide on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Congratulationz CrystalOfRoses. ^^ Hope you enjoy the game.

I thought of apliyng as well, but there were a lot of great aplications already, so decided not to decrease any more of invidual changes, besides I doupt I would have been able to make as great of a aplication as many here already did. ^^
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Postby brontan on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Congratulations CrystalOfRoses! And good luck to all who applied and got turned down, on getting into the next ECR game!
Trips on Rocks Survived till round 73
Hp 0/5
attack:0 (Dead)
defence:0 (Dead)
app: 0 (Dead)
brontan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CrystalOfRoses on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Oh, wow. Yay! :o

I thought I might be a finalist, but I didn't expect to go all the way!

Thanks for all the congratulations, guys! I hope to live up to your expectations!

ReadsVoraciously wrote:Welcome to the forum and congratulations CrystalOfRoses! Is there a short name that you prefer, Crystal or Roses? Or do you prefer the full moniker? :D

Honestly?

Code: Select all
The Crystal of Roses was a Dwarven Civilization from the Windy Dimensions

Crystal of Roses was just a name that popped up in my last game of Dwarf Fortress (It must have helped that I was playing the 'Kobold Camp' mod!) I hadn't given it much thought. Though now that I think about it, I prefer the full moniker to one of the shortened versions... :shifty:
My Opinion on Facebook: As presented by XKCD
CrystalOfRoses
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dusk9 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:28 pm

This is total crap! I demand a re-roll this instant! :wink:

Oh well, I knew the odds were against me, but I'm still disapointed. :grumble: I suppose I can settle for the increased chance in the next game (now I just need to hope I'm online at the right time).

Congratulations CrystalOfRoses! You're application was one of my favourites (although mine was obviously much better :wink: :lol: )

And ECR, do you think you could PM me what position I was - it was my first time writing a backstory and I'd like to know how good/bad you thought it was :nervous:
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby Experiment on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Congrats! Go hurl some epithets at the researcher while you wait (even longer) for those lazy goblins and kobolds to get you out of that cage.
Tries-too-hard, Lv5 Strategist

A Fiesty One
HP: 5/5
Att: 3 (4 vs wildlife)
Def: 3 (4 vs undead)
Inventory:
A bunch of text that I will spare you from.
Experiment
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silentobserver on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:54 pm

EvilCoatrack wrote:I won't say whose applications got knocked out on any specific stage of my review, but I will say that it was a very close call and you all suck for putting me through it. Jerks.

Well good, we did our jobs well, even if we didn't make it. :D
Clan Rampage
Splatters Gnomes – Walking Armory
HP: 3/5, Att: 4, Def: 4-6
Skills: Battle Tactics (Passive) - +1 Attack
Inventory: Pitchfork, Holey Cloak w/ Bell Clasp, Leather Armor, Leather Cap x2, Pear, Leather Helmet x2, Short Sword x2, Invisibility Potion, Wooden Shield, Broadsword
Silentobserver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Congrats to CrystalOfRoses and thanks for the increased odds of getting in the next game, ECR.

You're welcome. :evil:

Lot's of worthy candidates, goes to show how much people like Escape from Brassmoon.
ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kelten on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Congratulations!

Also, that was a lot of good background story's

Also, you deserved to win

Also

!!!

Awesome!
Stabsafoot
HP: 6/9 ATT:15 (1+13+1) DEF:29 (2+21+1) CHR: +14
Equipment:
Blooddrinker: +10 ATT +4 CHR, extra dmg to evil, drains life
See-all boots: +5 DEF +2 CHR a chance of noticing a trap before setting it off.
mightyoak shield, intricate greaves, +2 intricate chainmail, magic gloves, heavenly ring: allows smite evil
darkforged helmet, ring of health

In debt:
Dead, but in heaven in the game Hats

Hits to hard, training for cheff

Keltens betting station, gamble away with the goblin crowd!
kelten
Keenspot Despot

Postby arles on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Congrats to the winner!
///I'm a Graphic Designer and I like forum games///
///DeviantART///

Image Image
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageDungeon Keeper - Chief | The Awesomesword Wanes | Map
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageCrimson Fire | Destiny of the Stonetear Clan | Map
HP: 5/5 | ATK: 4 (+3 Longsword) | DEF: 4 (+1 Leather Armor, +1 Ironclad stompers) | Inventory: Leather Bag. Skull. Goblin Journal.
arles
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wolfie21384 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Congrats CrystalofRoses! I loved your entry.

And thanks ECR for the upgraded entry percentage. I'm not going to ask where my app fell in your esteem, I'm just glad you read it.

Have fun everyone and I look forward to being entertained with your antics
Wolfie21384
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to Goblins Games