The Elemental Octet (Full)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

The Elemental Octet (Full)

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 am

Ok, here is the deal - I've got my own homebrew roleplaying system. I made a post on the boards a while back seeking any volunteer artists that some of you might remember.

Anyway, as with all systems, I think there is always room for more playtesting. I think the rules thus far are pretty solid, but you never know until someone breaks something. So far, all the playtesters have been people I know personally, so they have an insight into how the system works already. What I really need is a group of players who have not had the rules explained to them by the author (myself) to read the rules so that I can see if they make sense on their own without explanation.

What I would like to do is run a fantasy game on this forum in order to playtest it with totally new players. It will be a fairly standard fantasy game, basically employing most of the cliche elements of most fantasy settings, because these are the things that people are likely to do with the system.

The game is going to be played entirely on the forum, mostly so that there will be a written record of what happens for the purposes of playtesting, and also because it is easier to do that way. This means it will be kind of slow paced, but that really depends on how often people post.

What I want is a group of fourplayers. Players will be chosen on a first-reply-to-this-thread basis. Please don't reply if you haven't finished reading this post, though. There will be a few requirements:

First, you'll need to be able to post at least once a day on weekdays. The game can't progress at a good enough pace otherwise, and I've done too many forum games that just fizzle out because we're waiting on one person to take his turn for a week at a time. So there will be a post-a-day minimum. If you sign up and for whatever reason have to go a few days without posting (out of town, emergency, etc), that will be fine, so long as there is advance notice to the rest of us and that you actually come back. Anyone who simply quits posting for more than 3 days without an explanation will be killed off and replaced. Posting more than once a day is ok - I'm in front of the computer most of the day. I will post and progress the action after each player posts what they do on that turn (if not in a combat or turn based situation, then any post will do, even if it is just concurring with another player's idea, etc).

Second, this isn't a goblins game. The party will be human, and goblins will be hostile creatures - standard fantasy type stuff. If you don't want to play a human or can't bring yourself to fight goblins, you probably shouldn't play.

Third, while you don't need to be an experienced role player (I need to know how noob roleplayers interpret the rules, too), you at least need to be able to read and write well. Read carefully, and don't go posting something contrary to a previous post. No one wants to take time out from the action to correct what you are doing, and I don't want to have to shoot down your post and make you revise it because you are trying to interact with something that isn't actually there.

Fourth, this will be text based, not illustrated. I may illustrate some things if necessary to describe them, if you find a map or something, or it something is just too awesome not to illustrate.

The game is essentially going to be one over-arching quest divided into 7 or more missions. Once the missions are complete, what happens next will be determined based on how well things have been going and if the players wish to keep playing. If we get done the 7 missions and everyone doesn't want to keep playing, then we'll just stop there and say you're successful and win, yay. If everyone is still having fun, I can make more things happen.

Without further adieu, the story:

300 years ago, there was a very accomplished enchanter named Forzi Naturos. He was known for producing some of the highest quality enchantments that money could buy. In his later years, Forzi began to go a little mad. Feeling that he had reached the pinnacle of his career long ago, he now desired to do something meaningful. He had always been interested in folklore and the traditional notions of enchantment, and wanted to leave a legacy of his own in the world. So he crafted a magical weapon to represent each of the classical elements – Fire, earth, air, and water. This was not enough to satisfy him, however, and he eventually crafted even more weapons, imbued with the power of electricity, frost, light, and metal. Having completed his octet of arms, he spent his entire fortune hiding his creations across the land, creating a challenge that must be solved for each one, keeping in line with his obsession with the traditional, even cliché, notion of enchantment found in so many tales.

Now, the wealthy Lord Corrym, a decorated soldier and tournament champion, has decided to fund an expedition to recover the entire octet. He is already in possession of the Forzi’s Automatic Anvil, the magical weapon of metal which he himself found, and as a professional warrior and a fine armament enthusiast wants nothing more than to possess the entire octet. He got his hands on the only copy of Forzi’s last will and testament, which gives the approximate location (appropriately cryptic) of each.

The players are a group of four adventurers hired by Corrym to seek out the weapons. As they find them, they can either return them to him for payment or continue to use them to aid in finding the remaining items.

So that's the setup. Once we have 4 players signed up, I'll send each of you a copy of the rules in their latest draft form and then we will begin the character creation process. During that process, I encourage you to try and make a balanced team - lets not have everyone put all their points into combat or magic skills. I won't stop you from doing anything, so if you all want to be wizards you can, but I'd prefer a mix for playtesting purposes. The system doesn't use classes, instead using skill points, so you can make any mixture of skills you can afford. I will be trying to make the challenges appropriate to any mix of character skills we end up with, though there will always be some combat, some stealth, etc.
Last edited by SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: The Elemental Octet (Forum Game)

Postby RandomMerc on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:34 am

I guess I could join. Count me in :P. After all, I always wanted to play a pen and paper rpg, just never had the people in my town to do it.
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Runs Into Koalas: Attack: 1 Def: 2(+1 Poisoned Barrel Lid), Health: 5/5
Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:48 am

Sounds great. Welcome aboard! Now we just need 3 more people to get the ball rolling on this.
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:51 am

Ach sure, why not :) Might not be around for all 7 missions, but will be able to give you notice if I need to stop playing and can def post every day in the meantime.
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:57 am

EDIT: I'm not going to require that posts be made on weekends. The game will still progress on weekends if posts are made, but I recognize that sometimes people have things to do, and I might not be able to post every weekend myself.
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Naxus on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 am

Ill play. Sounds like its gonna be epic
One Eye-Unlucky 13
Badges:Swift, Named his Poison, Flotsam

KeeperOfSecrets-Goblin Defence
Alive

Faine Urbain-Elemental Octet
Alive

The Minotaurs Maze
Ragnarok
Naxus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LicentiousDey on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 am

I'll join if I'm not Ninja'd.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RandomMerc on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am

One Question. Are we using standard ten skill points in this game, or are we using more or less?
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Ok, looks like we have 4 players.

I'll make a character creation post a little later on this afternoon - but it will be standard characters.

Feel free to ask any questions before you get started. I'll send the rules to the remaining 2 players in a little while.
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Last two players: either PM me an email address to send you the rules or let me know if you don't want to do that and I'll send you links to them on google docs. I'd prefer to email them, because otherwise I have to send you two PMs each because they only let you put two links in each and there are 4 documents.
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Ok, all four players should have all the necessary rules now. Let me know if anyone is missing anything. Here are some tips to help you get started:

1. Read the basic rules. This will explain the basics of character creation and game mechanics. It is a short read. Let me know if it makes sense or if you have any questions.
2. Depending on what kind of character you decide you want to play, then use the supplemental rules to help you figure stuff out. If you want to cast spells, you'll obviously need the magic supplement. If you want to be a non-magical character, there are some things in the Medieval/Fantasy supplement, such as a standard list of skills and equipment that we will be using.
3. Don't plan on using any of the "exotic" weapons in the medieval/fantasy book. Those have not been tested at all yet, and I'd like to stick to the basics. I may add them in later, but for now stick to the standard equipment.
4. In that same vein, don't plan to start the game with any magical items. There are prices for magical items listed in the magic supplement, but just assume that your characters don't have access to those things when they start out. This will not be a game where every town has a store that sells everything, and magical stuff is rare (which is why you're on this quest to begin with).
5. The advanced combat supplement is not mandatory to read, but if you plan on fighting a lot it will give all the "special moves" you might want to try. Also, all those rules will be in the game, and NPCs will use them as appropriate. For example, you might very well be grappled, so you might want to know how that works before hand.

As far as character creation: you start with the standard 10 stat points and 10 skill points. You also start with 100 silver worth of equipment (or less and you start with the remaining silver). Additionally, everyone has a free dagger that does not count toward your 100 silver starting equipment. If you choose to spend your entire 100 silver on a musket, your dagger can be a plug bayonet (which requires 1 action to affix to the musket). Also, all ranged weapons come with 10 shots of whatever type of ammo they use.

You may want to start discussing in this thread what type of characters you want to play so that you don't end up all playing the same character. We won't officially start the game until it is sorted out, so feel free to clutter the thread up with character ideas and questions until then.

One more thing - Don't make a character with a 1 in any stat. A 1 represents some kind of defect, and I don't really like characters who minmax like minmax. If you minmax a physical stat like Strength or Dexterity, you'll probably get killed easily. If you put a 1 in intelligence or socialization, you would have to role play either being mildly retarded or extremely socially awkward, and it is hard to keep up roleplaying like that (plus no one wants a character around who constantly has to make poor choices in order to properly role play). If you REALLY want to put a 1 in a stat, pitch the idea to me first and we'll talk about it.

The only playable race is human, and the characters all know one another and have worked together before, so we won't need any kind of conflict on those fronts. It isn't always great to force the characters to like one another, but what is worse is having a party who has no reason to work together.

Don't worry too much about character backstories. They can be left pretty vague. Things from your past are not going to figure into the story (unless you have a really great background I can fit in somewhere). I don't have this game set in a highly fleshed out world. I've got my go-to fantasy world that I use, but it isn't extremely detailed, and more importantly the details aren't written anywhere. I'll give you information about the world as needed or if you ask, but don't worry too much about it. Since this is a forum game, the game world won't have to be unnecessarily detailed or discussed since that takes so much time. You can sandbox it to a degree and go do whatever you think will help solve the quests, but it won't be required, and your benefactor will point you in the direction of each weapon.

I would personally recommend that there be one character who fights well, one character who can cast spells, and one character who can do thief-like stuff such as sneaking. This will allow for the missions to be appropriately varied. The fourth character can be anything, really. This isn't as restrictive as it might sound, since a character with lots of points in fighting stuff still has lots of points left over for utility skills. Wizards are really the only ones who have to dump all their points into magic because of how expensive it is. So instead of fighter-wizard-thief you could have two fighters, each of which have some thiefy skills, etc. Just try to keep the party versatile. None of this means don't make the character you want to make. If you all make wizards, I'll make the quests work for that. I'm just worried it might get repetitive.

Anyway, throw any questions you might have at me, and feel free to discuss your character ideas. Hopefully we can get characters made and start the game by monday. This game is designed for quick character creation, but since we aren't sitting at a table together and since you all have never seen the rules before it might take some time. Trust me, though, it isn't that hard.

Have fun creating characters!
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: The Elemental Octet (Full)

Postby ArdentSilver on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Are you making rules available to non-players? I'd be interested in looking at them, even if I'm not playing.
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LicentiousDey on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm

I feel that 10 stat points is not enough to prevent minmaxing and that 12 points is too easy to maximize everything.

What if you had 11 stat points?

I like the ability of skill limitations. Can we do that?

These files are masterfully formatted, are you developing this for a tabletop game eventually?

What if your character was raised bilingual? Can he speak Dothraki and Common?

Ok, I like what I see, but there's no reason for people to play anything but mages. They have all the cool things. There needs to be just as extensive skill list for every other stat (except maybe be SOC, because it is not really combat oriented). Why would I be a regular berserker when I can control gravity as a suped up mage? This is a problem I find in most RPGs, especially video games like Fable and Edler Scrolls. They just give way too much zest in the magics and make everything else look mundane and boring. The rules you have hear show me that non mages act something like this:
Round 1: Go for crit.
Round 2: Go for crit.
Round- well you get the idea-
I think DnD fixes this fairly well by keeping magic simple and not as "scientific" as what you have hear along with providing very fun abilities for non-magical users.
Skills for offensive attacks or Boosts in things and whatnot would be useful for this.

For example:
Berserk (STR stat): As an action, the user can ignore penalties from crippling injuries, gains N (where N is level of skill) to attack and loses 1/2N to Defense rounded up.
I may edit this post as I continue to read the rules.

I think that's everything, character sheet in a new post later.
Last edited by LicentiousDey on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Morze Thok
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Naxus on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm

ok so just a few questions

-Gunpowder? Is it in the world as purely powder form and used for large-scale destruction or are basic firearms available?
-Carrying weight? Is is realistic or is it whatever?
-If I get Medicine and then get Knowledge:Medicine would they help each other?

What does everyone want to be?
I'd rather not be the wizard but i wouldn't mind learning a spell or two just cause.Let me tinker with my build some. Id prefer to be a High DEX/INT Archer with some basic medicine and acrobatic skills.
Last edited by Naxus on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Eye-Unlucky 13

Alive

Alive

The Minotaurs Maze
Ragnarok
Naxus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LicentiousDey on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:55 pm

I'de like to be some sort of Berserker thing that doesn't care for scars or pain. (IE SOC of 1, if that's ok)

Morze Thok
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RandomMerc on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:04 pm

RandomMerc wrote:No exotic proficiencies then? :(. Was gonna buy a Tiny Knife.

OK :D. Edited with knife and basic supplies (Backpack, Water, etc.)

Got one question, how much does food cost?

Name: Griffon Marquez
Player:RandomMerc
Campaign: The Elemental Octet

Stats
STR: 2
DEX: 3
INT: 3
SOC:2

Skills/Spells
Wizard 2
Speak With Dead/Animate Skeleton (Necromancy)
Detect 2
Stealth 2

Equipment
Primary: Quarterstaff, +1 Attack, +2 Defense
Backup: Tiny Knife: +0 Attack, Concealed in skin of right arm. Handle is color of his skin.
Ranged: Dagger: -1 Attack
Armor: Leather Armor: +1 Defense
Shield: None

Total Attack
Primary: 3 Ranged: 1 Backup: 2

Defense Totals(STR+Equipment)
Melee: 6 Ranged: 4

Items:
27 Silver
Backpack
Bedroll
Water Skin
4 Standard Lockpicks

Fixed
Last edited by RandomMerc on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:00 am, edited 10 times in total.
This is a signature.

RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Naxus on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Player:Naxus
Character: Faine Urbain
Campaign:Elemental Octet

Stats
Strength:2
Dexterity:3
Intelligence:3
Social:2

Skills
Acrobatics-Lv 2
Archery-Lv 2
Medicine-Lv 2
Wizardry

Spells
-Heal Wound
-Sharpen
-Magic Missile

Weapons
Primary:Halberd-3 atk/1 def
Secondary:dagger-1 atk
Ranged:Longbow- 2 atk
Armor:Leather- 1 def

Total Attack
Melee:5 Ranged:7 Magical Ranged:7
Total Defense
Melee:4 Ranged:3

Items
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and steel
6 bandages
32 arrows
Officers Sword
93 silver
Last edited by Naxus on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
One Eye-Unlucky 13

Alive

Alive

The Minotaurs Maze
Ragnarok
Naxus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Naxus wrote:Player:Naxus
Character: Faine Urbain

Stats
Strength:2
Intelligence:3
Social:2

Skills
Acrobatics-Lv 2
Archery-Lv 2
Medicine
Knowledge-Medicine
Wizardry

Spells
-Heal Wound
-Sharpen
-Magic Missile

Weapons
Primary:Dagger- 1 atk
Secondary:None
Ranged:Longbow- 2 atk
Armor:Leather- 1 def

Items
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and steel
10 bandages
24 arrows (5 starting + 19 bought)

Looks good - but a few things that you might change in light of my last post. First of all, you don't need both medicine and knowledge medicine. You can have a medicine of 2 or take another skill. Also, you can have the tiny knife. Also, I arbitrarily said in a previous post that you get 10 arrows to start, so I guess I have to stick with that.

Otherwise, looks like a great character!
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LicentiousDey on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Player:LicentiousDey
Character: Cairn Phage

Stats
Strength:4
Intelligence:2
Social:1 (He's freakishly scarred and not afraid to show it. Also he is rude, usually to provoke a fight.)

Skills
Acrobatics-Lv 3
Axe/Mace/Hammer Proficiency- Lv4
Intimidate- Lv 2
Climb

Weapons
Primary:Battle Axe- 2 atk
Secondary: Small Axe- 1 atk
Ranged:None
Armor:Leather- 1 def (Gauntlets to be specific)

Total Attack

Melee:10 (+1 to duel wield) Ranged:0
Total Defense
Melee:4 Ranged:4 (+1 if duel wielding)

Items
Backpack
Flint and steel
Water Skin
40 Candles
25 Silver
Last edited by LicentiousDey on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Morze Thok
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RandomMerc on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:41 pm

LicentiousDey wrote:Player:LicentiousDey
Character: Cairn Phage

Stats
Strength:4
Intelligence:2
Social:1 (He's freakishly scarred and not afraid to show it. Also he is rude, usually to provoke a fight.)

Skills
Acrobatics-Lv 3
Axe/Mace/Hammer Proficiency- Lv4
Intimidate- Lv 2
Climb

Weapons
Primary:Battle Axe- 2 atk
Secondary: Small Axe- 1 atk
Armor:Leather- 1 def (Gauntlets to be specific)

Total Attack

Melee:3 Ranged:0
Total Defense
Melee:3 Ranged:3

Items
Backpack
Flint and steel
Water Skin
40 Candles
25 Silver

You add your STR and Profieciency to Attack and Defense. So than you would have 10 Attack with your Primary Weapon and 9 with your backup. That is alot of attack. Oh yeah, and you would have 5 Defense. I think. Do you add STR to that stuff, or is it another stat?
This is a signature.

RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Naxus on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:45 pm

also that is alot of candles
One Eye-Unlucky 13

Alive

Alive

The Minotaurs Maze
Ragnarok
Naxus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LicentiousDey on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:00 pm

It was 8 gold, I wanted to keep things even with the water skin and the FnS.

Also I think Cairn is afraid of the dark...

Morze Thok
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 am

Right folks, apologies for being last to reply, I think I'm in a different time zone to most people on this forum :)

Anyway, looks like we've got fighting and range/sneaking sorted so I will play a scholar / wizard if that's cool?

Player: ThinksLogically
Character: Pela Gellantara (female)
Campaign: Elemental Octet

Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence:4
Social: 2

Skills
Navigate: 1 [1 skill point]
Wizardry: 2 [3 skill points]
Thaumaturgy (1): Magic Missile [1 skill point]
Aeromancy (1): Personal cyclone [1 skill point]
Pyromancy (2): Ignite / Fire Burst [3 skill points]
Gnosiomancy (1): Discern Magic [1 skill point]

Weapons
Primary: Quarterstaff
Armor: Maille

Total Attack
Melee:1 Ranged:0
Total Defense: 4

Items
Backpack
Bedroll
Blanket
10 Candles
20 Paper
2x Ink
2x Pens
3x Waterskins

OK, I'm pretty new to all this stuff, so comments are welcome. If I've utterly misunderstood the skill points or you guys feel this is a bad choice of stats etc. then feel free to comment.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Running:
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby SeverelyAwesome on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 am

Ok, I just read everyone's character, and here's the deal.

RandomMerc:

RandomMerc, you've spent too many points. I guess the magic rulebook needs to be written a little more clearly. Basically, each level of wizardry costs a number of points equal to that level. So wizardry 1 costs 1 point, 2 costs 2 points, and 3 cost 3 points. This means wizardry 3 costs 6 points by itself. Also, spells are the same way. A full spell school (up to lvl 3) costs 6 points, too. So basically that's 12 points to start. In other words, you can't start with level 3 spells. Magic is powerful, as LicentiousDey pointed out, so it is very expensive. I recommend you kick wizardry and necromancy down to 2, keeping the other skills. You won't really need death touch, as a sneak attack with your knife is an instant kill by itself. Also, skeletons are lots of fun, so you'll be using those a lot anyway. Also, armor does affect stealth. This might not be written in the rules directly (I think it might be in advanced combat, I'll have to check). It basically modifies the difficulty based on the situation. In the case of maille armor, it would give you a -1 to any stealth check that would involve you being heard. It would not affect being seen (example - if you're sneaking far away from your opponent, say moving through the woods he is supposed to be watching, the penalty doesn't apply. However, if you're sneaking up behind him to murder his face in, then the penalty does apply. Stealth is done as an opposed roll usually (you roll stealth vs your opponent's detect roll), so even with a penalty you'll still have a +2 advantage over most NPCs since they will have a 2 INT and no Detect skill (your DEX + Stealth -1 = 4 where their INT + Detect = 2) Also, armor will affect the spellcasting DC, but this isn't a problem for you because you don't have instant cast in combat type spells.

Also, your defense is modified by your DEX, not your STR, so adjust accordingly (this actually improves your DEF). Also, weapon defense bonus (the staff) doesn't add to ranged defense, since people don't parry arrows in real life (though I might add some kind of feat for this later or something).

One last thing: knife in your skin? Ouch! (no problem with it rules-wise, but it kind of hurts to think about, making a sheath out of your own arm skin. Perhaps you did it with necromancy or something. It is concealed, but if you are searched thoroughly it is still findable. Basically you make an opposed roll of your stealth vs. the searcher's detect).

LicentiousDey

As far as LicentiousDey's attack and defense, he is doing it right, mostly.

His attack is 4 STR + 4 skill +2 for battle axe, which equals 10. If he is dual wielding, he gets a +1 bonus to attack or defense, depending on his "stance" which he declares at the beginning of the round.

His DEF is DEX + Armor. His DEX is 3 and his leather armor gives him 1, so it is really 4 against all attacks (5 against melee if dual-wielding defensively). Defense is really important, so don't go forgetting to count your armor!

Thinkslogically:

there are a few things that need work - I see you have wizardry 3 written down. I think that is a typo, because then you would have spent 15 total points instead of 10, and you don't have any lvl 3 spells anyway. Also, each 2nd level spell costs 2 points (as does wizardry 2), so your point total is 11. I recommend you drop either navigate or light (since we have 50 candles...).

Remember - ATK is STR + Skill + weapon, where DEF is DEX + armor + weapon/shield

So your attack is 3 (2 STR + 1 staff), and your melee defense is 6 (2 DEX + 2 armor + 2 staff). Your ranged DEF is 4, because weapons don't count for ranged defense (though who knows, I might add in a skill that allows that.)

Also, your Magic Missile ATK total is INT + DEX + Wizardry, so it equals 8, which is a damn good ranged attack score. You should write that down somewhere for your own quick reference.

I am going to be trying the optional D&D style rule for wizards wearing armor. Basically, the rule would be that every point of DEF armor provides you add +1 to your base spellcasting DC. This wouldn't be a huge problem for Faen, because the base DC would be 3 and she has an INT of 4, so the first spell would be a guaranteed success even with the armor on. I think I'll go ahead and playtest this rule. Otherwise, the earth armor spell is kind of crappy. If we use this rule, earth armor, being magically created, would not affect your DC.

Anyway, the characters all look great so far. I think I hit on all the issues, but I'll read them and total the points all again before we start. The team looks good and balanced. Good spread of magic, fighting, and utility. Really glad there is a doctor, too. Makes me worry less about wounding you :wink:
SeverelyAwesome
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:13 am

Yup, I went back and reread the rules and it should be fixed now - think my edit probably went up as you were typing :)

I *think* it should add up now!

Running:

thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Goblins Games