Escape From Brassmoon: COMPLETE! [Epilogue on p. 132]

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Escape From Brassmoon: COMPLETE! [Epilogue on p. 132]

Postby EvilCoatrack on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 pm

If you're just starting to read this game, make sure to check out the prologue at Into Brassmoon City!

Map of the Dungeon as of Turn 103:

Escape From Brassmoon: a Monster Tale

Welcome to Brassmoon City. It is nearly six months before the goblins of the Cryptic Fall breach the city's defenses and free nearly all of the creatures held below its streets. Captain Dellyn Goblinslayer is still in command of his Elite Guard and is still running his prison system. He's even running a secret dungeon, one that the Goblin Adventuring Party would never even hear about.

The dungeon is a special laboratory under command of Sergeant Samuels, who keeps a tight eye on access into and out of the dungeon. Samuels has only received one instruction from his captain involving the treatment of the prisoners: follow whatever the Researcher tells you. The Researcher has specifically demanded that the Elite Guards do not interfere with any of his activities, including testing done in the prisoners' rooms and at the examination lab hidden somewhere in the facility. The Guards are only brought in when the prisoners need moved, and otherwise have a pretty cushy job. On the lower levels, at least.

Tonight, the Researcher and the few Elite Guards stationed at the lower levels of the lab are celebrating. Goblinslayer is out of town with Saral Caine, and there will be no more official inspections for the rest of the week.

The Researcher, after downing a couple bottles of ale, has taken this opportunity to try out a new experiment on his test subjects.

"Hehehe, let's see what that mixture does...*hic!*"

With that, the Researcher left the Containment Room, quite obviously drunk and not being too careful with his actions.

And thus, your opportunity arose.

It's time to get out.

The Rules

This game is inspired by LoneStarNorth's "The Last Ditch Dungeon," which I am still a participant in at the time of this writing. While I've drawn all the sprites myself, much of it follows the same style LSN uses in his games.

For the purposes of simplicity on these forums, I'm also largely copying the rules and combat system from "The Last Ditch Dungeon." I figure there's no real sense in reinventing the wheel for those used to playing in or following that game. There are, however, some twists that match my own style and the setup of this game.

Starting

This dungeon houses only Small size creatures. Namely, Goblins and Kobolds. Players will have a choice between the two. No matter which you choose, you're going to start off hurt. You're test subjects, after all.

The classes start with the following stats:

Goblins: 3/5 Hit Points; 1 ATK; 2 DEF. One Goblin will be imbued with his/her Clan Teller's power to heal 1 point of damage on any target each turn as a Minor Action. See details below involving how healing works.

Kobolds: 3/5 Hit Points; 2 ATK; 1 DEF. One Kobold will be assigned the Rogue class, which allows him/her to move unseen as a Major Action each turn. See details below involving how actions work.

NOTE: If you do NOT wish to play as the Teller or Rogue, please let me know after the characters and their names are finalized, but before I assign the classes.

Stats:
ATK (Attack) means how much damage you deal in melee combat. ATK works against the opponent's DEF and Hit Points. (Example: an ATK of 3 on a creature with 2 DEF and 5/5 Hit Points would pierce the DEF and take away 1 Hit Point.)
DEF (Defense) means how much damage you can absorb on each turn.
HP (Hit Points) indicates how hurt you are. You die at 0 HP, and you start off with a maximum of 5 HP.

Signing Up:

**Only sign up if you can post an action nearly every day. If you miss 3 consecutive updates, I may replace you. Please let me know if you need to take an extended break and I'll see about a temporary replacement.**

You may have noticed that there are 18 cells in the room. Unfortunately for you all, only 9 players will be accepted. If you wish to play, be one of the first 18 players to sign up by 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5 hours) on Saturday February 12th. I will randomly assign those 18 players to a cell number and then randomly select which test subjects survive. Obviously, TS-1 (Test Subject 1) will survive, as I've indicated already by the eyes in the cell (and whoever TS-1 is will be unlocking all the living monsters' cells before I hand over control to the players). Rest assured though, that the first person to sign up is not necessarily going to be TS-1. As I said, I'll be randomly assigning players to the cells. You have a 50% chance of getting into the game by being relatively quick to sign up.

Choosing names, races, and colors will happen after the nine surviving subjects are identified and attached to individual players. DO NOT MAKE THIS DECISION BEFORE I TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE IN THE GAME. Otherwise we get a lot of names flying around too early and I get overwhelmed with nomenclature. And I hate being overwhelmed with nomenclature.

NOTE: Those who sign up but are assigned to monsters that die in their cells have priority on getting into the game if some other player either misses consecutive updates or has to leave the game. I will explain in detail how replacements work if we need to replace someone.

Actions:

You may take two of three "acts" on each turn. These three acts are defined as follows:

Minor Action: Minor Actions include:
- Trading of items between characters who are in touch range of each other (amount of items traded is limitless). I mentioned before Turn 2 update that trading a key from one goblin to another would require minor actions from both. This is incorrect. You only use a minor action if you GIVE an item (or any number of items) to another goblin. Receiving an item is a free action.
- Picking up one item (or a number of items that are very close together) from the floor or other area within your character's reach.
- Looting one item from a kill that just occurred. (Note: First pick on loot goes to those monsters involved in the fight. The first "first picker" to claim it gets the item. "First Pick" applies to only ONE item per turn.If everyone passes, whoever's first on cleanup gets it. Otherwise it falls to the floor.)
- Inspecting the environment. I will tell you more information about something you look at if you do this
- Moving to an adjacent room that you have already discovered.
- Talking to a creature.
- Heal (if you're a Teller)

Move:
Quite simply, you can move from the current room to another adjacent one. Your Move action (unlike your Minor Actions) also allows you to move to room you have yet to discover.
- Moving to another part of the same room is usually always a free action.

Major Action: These include:
- Attacking a creature
- Interacting with the environment (i.e. flipping a switch, pushing a table, opening a door).
- Operate while Stealthed (if you're the rogue). Note that this allows you to Move and perform Minor Actions without being observed.
- Most minor actions. Exceptions are Teller Healing and other actions that I deem to be unbalanced. If you're unsure about something, put in a conditional backup plan.
New rule: if you open a container, you automatically loot anything from it. Opening and looting from that container counts as one major action.

NOTE: While you can generally take these actions in whichever order you wish, if you chose to actually attack a creature, your turn ends there. You must structure your Minor Action or Move to happen before you attack if you want it to count. The same applies with Moving to an undiscovered room - you don't know what's in there, so you can't be expected to act on the same turn.. You may not take 2 of any one action twice in one turn.Note that Major Actions include most Minor Actions, and that Minor Actions include Moving to previously-discovered rooms. Because of this, you may investigate two objects/places in one room per turn, or "double move" so long as your first movement action is to an undiscovered room.

Ending the Game

The game is over when all player characters are either dead or out of the dungeon.

Death

A character is dead when its hit points reach 0. Teller Healing occurs BEFORE damage from Attacks. You are dead the moment you hit 0 unless something in the game explicitly overrides this rule.

Acts of the Game Master
Things are moving behind the scenes, and I'm not telling you every mechanic operating in the dungeon. You're all test subjects. Don't be surprised if that has sudden relevance at some point in your adventures. This could happen at inopportune times, but I assure you that I do have a pre-planned rule set for these "mysterious" actions and that them occurring isn't an indication that I don't like you. It could just be bad (or good) luck. Unless I really don't like you.

Misc. Info about the Dungeon

Goblinslayer was getting sick of wasting time cleaning up messes. Any dead bodies in the dungeon are instantly vanished due to a magical enchantment placed on the lab (which may radiate to some of the nearby area).
You're not the first prisoners to be down here. You're also not the first to try to escape. Keep your eyes open.
If you're a spectator, please keep your comments to a minimum and use the "spoiler" tags for them. This isn't because I don't appreciate people talking about the game, but it could get kind of crazy otherwise.

Update Schedule
I will attempt to update every night at Midnight Eastern Time. Skip days may happen, but I will try to post ahead of time to let you know when I can.

That's all you need to know for now. Get your name on one of the blank lines below in the next 25 hours if you wish to play. If we don't have enough signups, I'll consider extending it.

___notimportant_____________
___Kelvara__________________
___Aelthas__________________
___BurnsBeees_______________
___knucklekraken____________
___Donnigan________________
___assana73________________
___michael7050_____________
___Silentobserver____________
___vid20___________________
___WorstCase ______________
___MadBoat_________________
___LooksAndSmiles__________
___PSychotic________________
___m0rtimer________________
___ArcticTornado____________
___Wildman________________
___kelten__________________

UPDATE:
And the characters are:

TS-1
Vexing Solution ("Vex")
Female Goblin
Has Teller powers!
Played by Kelvara.

TS-4
Sarus
Male Kobold
Played by MadBoat.

TS-5
Giggles Incessantly ("Giggles")
Male Goblin
Played by Aelthas.

TS-7
Teetotaler ("Tee")
Male Goblin
Played by michael7050.

TS-8
Ends With A Bang ("Ends")
Male Goblin
Played by m0rtimer.

TS-12
Thrown Into Dark Cells ("Cells")
Male Goblin
Played by LooksAndSmiles.

TS-13
Inverted Luck ("Luck")
Female Goblin
Played by ArcticTornado.

TS-15
Kritana ("Krit")
Male Kobold
Is a Rogue!
Played by vid20.

TS-17
Scarrrgh
Male Kobold
Played by PSychotic.

For those of you who didn't make it, you have first priority for replacing a player who leaves. Beyond that, the second "tier" of priority goes to the group consisting of Warlock, Whooh, and RandomMerc, as they missed the signups by mere hours. If you follow the thread, and see me calling for a replacement at the end of any update (it'll be in Spoiler tags and I'll give one turn notice), be the first to type in that you wish to join within 24 hours. The first from the 9 "dead" test subjects will get in. But if none of them post, the first from the second tier to post gets in. If no one from either group posts, it's the first from anyone.

Sorry that you didn't survive the Researcher's mixture, but perhaps your fellow monsters can avenge you!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the game!
Last edited by EvilCoatrack on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 25 times in total.
So I run some forum games:
Read Into Brassmoon City, a 52-turn completed prologue to EFB done entirely within 2 days.
Check out the Escape from Brassmoon, Complete at 171 turns!
Discover the Destiny of the Stonetear Clan, currently in progress.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Re: Escape From Brassmoon (Forum Game)

Postby notimportant on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Should I try to get in one more? Hmm...
Sure, why not.
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kelvara on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Oh god me!
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby EvilCoatrack on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Figured I'd share a teaser image to potentially spark some more interest ;)

EDIT: Apparently Imageshack didn't like the word "teaser" in my image name. Oh well. You late-comers will have to wait til this art is unlocked in game.
Last edited by EvilCoatrack on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read Into Brassmoon City, a 52-turn completed prologue to EFB done entirely within 2 days.
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kelvara on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Bluh, art so awesome! Can I sign up twice? :wink:
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby LoneStarNorth on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Got too much on my plate to sign up, but good luck with this bro, I'll be watching :)
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aelthas on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Sure, count me in.
Finally an LSN style game.
Giggles Incessantly
HP: 5/5
ATK: 5 (Short Blade +2, Short Blade [Offhand] +1, Short Blade Specialization +1)
DEF: 6/7 (Half-Plate Armor +3, Goblin +1, 50% chance of +1 from Leather Cap, +1 for being used to it.)
Abilities: Renew (heal 1 HP on touch as a Major Action, must wait one turn after using to use again), Dodge (15% chance to avoid melee damage)
Aelthas
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BurnsBees on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 pm

I wish to be in the game.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby knucklekraken on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 pm

You have piqued my interest, sir. I accept your challenge.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Donnigan on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 pm

Ok, I guess I will sign up.
Madre de Dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!

HasBadTemper
Hit Points: 6/6(+5 goblin, +1 tough)
Attack: 6???(+1 Goblin, +1 Training, +4 Battleaxe, +??? Cold???) (9??? if Raging)
Defence: 8(+1 Goblin, +1 Tough, +3 Kite Shield, +3 Studded Leather)(7 if Raging)(9 or 8 if Wearing Iron Mask, unlikely)
Traits:
Goblin Rage 2: if 2hp or below 4+ attack. - 1def. Can multi strike, first strike.
Shield Bash 1: 25% chance to stun small creatures.

Inventory: Iron Mask
Donnigan
Keenspot Despot

Postby assana73 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 pm

I'd like to join.
Last edited by assana73 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lab Rats
Whistles Random Tunes(Tunes)
Complete Vocal Control: Imitation of sounds and Ventriloquism
Atk: 2 (Dagger)
Def: 1
Inventory:
Dagger (+1 to Atk)

spoiler for MSPA Homestuck below
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003840
assana73
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby michael7050 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 pm

MEMEME THIS LOOKS SO COOL!

Oh man, I hope I get in - It will be my first Sprite game! (LSN style)

:)

heres hoping....
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby Silentobserver on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:44 pm

*Dives into the fray!*
Silentobserver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby EvilCoatrack on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 am

Sign-ups are half-full! Or half-empty depending on your outlook.

Just a reminder that only 9of the 18 sign-ups will get in. I will be drawing names out of a hat for those of you that survive the treatment that the Researcher just gave you all. Best of luck on surviving it!
EvilCoatrack
Keenspot Despot

Postby vid20 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:06 am

'
A game of chance in the getting in hey?

*rolls a dice*

ok, I'm in.
The Ratings War: Be Careful What You Wish For. A forum game that's a bit different.

Destiny of the Stonetear Clan
Wields-two-shields - Goblin maiden
HP 5/5
ATT: 3 (1 + 2 short blade)
DEF: 5 (2 + Frostward: +2 DEF Melee attacks made against the wearer have a 25% chance to freeze the attacker, making it inactive for the next turn. + 1 light wooden shield)
Back pack
skull - just be glade it's not you
Skeleton key
Leather Armor +1
Jar of Blue Energy

Escape from Brassmoon
Kritanta - kobold rogue. -died turn 135 RIP
vid20
Keenspot Despot

Postby WorstCase on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:43 am

I don't have that much time at the moment, but I want to play, too. Please sign me up.
My first Goblins Fancomic 'Risks &Sideeffects':
http://www.acyn.net/RSE_main.html
The second fancomic 'Heimspiel' can be found here (as well as some other Goblins related fan-art):
http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... se_Comics/
!!!Heimspiel is back!!! At least for now.

And here you'll find the players progress map for the 'Let There Be Hats'-Forumgame:
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... g_02-3.png
WorstCase
Keenspot Despot

Postby MadBoat on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 am

you know what? fuck serial killers. much rather do another co-operative adventure anyway.
Last Ditch Dungeon: Teller Hideous Mole SWEET GLORIOUS VICTORY!
Escape from Brassmoon: Sarus, Foe of the Floating Maw ESCAPED! WOOT!
Crappy Art Cave of Doom: Mops Up : DIED AT THE HEIGHT OF MY GLORY! HOW NOBLE!

Loot!:Herr Henry von HeffleHocken, Hobgoblin Hero
WND: 4
ATK 9: 1 (Hero) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (pipe of Badassery)
DEF 2: 0 (Hero) + 1 (Leprechaun Lamp) + 1 (Accounts Ledger)
FAB 14: 0 (Hero) + 4(Leprechaun Lamp) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (Accounts Ledger) + 2 (pipe of badassery)
Gear: s1: Leprechaun Lamp(Creates Rainbows! Creates light! 30% chance for Moar Lewt!)
s2: Pipe of Badassery (Makes you a badass! Also makes you talk like Helen Keller!)
s3 Accounts Ledger (Giant friggin' blank book! Very pretty! Contains Blank Paper Pages of Potential!"
s5: Mighty Pen( 5% chance to break swords! +1 Def against swords! Creates caligraphic characters on command!"
MadBoat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LooksAndSmiles on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:24 am

Is it still a slot here?
I guess I need to try one of these too.
LooksAndSmiles
Keenspot Despot

Postby PSychotic on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:12 am

i am good to escape! or die! i've got an awesome feeling that the researchers experiments destroyed my body and mind, leaving me an empty husk! here's to hoping that that didn't happen!
Shi' Arri, Decroi, Canton, Sicoh, Tig, Jack, and Mack.

The Dread Pirate Scarrrgh, Kobold Pirate ..... dead just like half his crew
Lisps, Goblin Defender ..... Feats: Improved Tackle 2, Tackle Stamina 2, Improved Dodging 1
That Nameless Guy, Undead Warrior ..... STR 5 DEX 3 CON 3 ..... HP ?/? ..... 4 Throwing Knives, Axe (+3), Heavy Leather Armor (5/5)
Shiny, Not So Dead Goblin ..... ATK 1 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5
Jack-Of-All-Trades, Lucky Goblin ..... ATK 0 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5 MP 5/5 ..... Spells: Buff/Debuff, Thief!, Acrobatic F@#king Pirouette!
Bringer-Of-New-Times, Goblin Teller ..... ATK 1 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5 ..... Spells: Heal

Hosting a Cave of Doom
PSychotic
Keenspot Despot

Postby m0rtimer on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:24 am

... Cannot decide if I should join or not.

*flips a coin*

Tails. Best 2 of 3?

Ah, forget it. I'm in!
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ArcticTornado on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:04 am

I'll join!
Chief Gets to the Chopper
2/6 HP :: 0/12 Inf
4 Atk :: 5 Def

Inverted Luck
ATK: 4-6 (+2 Brakeblade, +1 Thief Blade, +0/+1 Thief Armor (25%), +0/+1 Short Blade Specialty (50%))
DEF: 6-7(+1 Goblin, +1 Thief Armor, +1 Thick Skin, +0/+1 Leather Helm (50%), +1 Iron Bracer, +1 Iron Bracer)
Pack: Very Pointy Pencil, 78 gold pieces, Leather Armor, Dagger, Challenge Note, Random Book, Short Rope
Abilities: Renew (+1 HP, Major Action, touch), Lady Luck (double % chance to most items/abilities, passive).
ArcticTornado
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wildman on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 am

I'm in, this looks awesome.
Goblin Gladiators Campaign 2

Goblin Gladiators Campaign 1 is Complete.
Little Hands is currently in the Pit of Danger, and will be for quite some time.
Successful killer in TSK Round 24. Partner: KittiHello.
Co-winner of the TSK Lightning Round, along with SharesLoot.
Successful killer in TSK Round 33, with some help from SeeAMoose at the end.
Wildman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kelten on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:57 am

I am sooo joining!

(but I may have some problem getting online the nearest day's, but I will do my best)
Stabsafoot
HP: 6/9 ATT:15 (1+13+1) DEF:29 (2+21+1) CHR: +14
Equipment:
Blooddrinker: +10 ATT +4 CHR, extra dmg to evil, drains life
See-all boots: +5 DEF +2 CHR a chance of noticing a trap before setting it off.
mightyoak shield, intricate greaves, +2 intricate chainmail, magic gloves, heavenly ring: allows smite evil
darkforged helmet, ring of health

In debt:
Dead, but in heaven in the game Hats

Hits to hard, training for cheff

Keltens betting station, gamble away with the goblin crowd!
kelten
Keenspot Despot

Postby Warlock on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 am

I'd like to join. Thanks!
Warlock
Keenspot Despot

Postby Whooh on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:22 am

Throw me into the mix, too.
www.culdceptcentral.com "Where you can find all things Culdcept!"
XBL: Whooh05