Hats (Forum Game)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Hats (Forum Game)

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:07 pm

SPOILERS:SURPRIIIIISE!!!

In the distant past, seven members of the legendary Clan Fourem became lost in the woods. After wandering through a weird tree stump or something they found themselves transported to a strange, alternate world. The rules were… different. And they seemed to have misplaced the doorway they entered through! They were trapped.

Almost immediately they were accosted by a strange, smiling elf.

“Ho ho ho!” he laughed.

“It seems you have strayed far from your homes! I am known as the Snappy Hat Salesman. A very important hat was stolen from me recently. If you can recover it, I’ll happily return you to your home. But you’ll need some hats of your own to succeed! Here, I’ll lend you this hat of mine. But you’ll need to find more yourselves! Explore this world, unlock its secrets, and retrieve my special hat!

Believe in your strengths. Believe.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go stand around inside that giant clock forever.”

The strange man vanishes, but his Hat remains. Well... now what?

Please read the following before signing up to play. This game may not be your cup of tea.

Each Goblin has five Health, as in my previous games, but no Atk or Def. Combat is a little more abstract here. Instead of getting enough Goblins together that you can overpower an enemy with your superior combined stats, you have to figure out what is going to defeat that particular enemy. Swords? Arrows? A dropped piano? His severe peanut allergy? Just running at a guy and trying to beat him up is almost always going to end in failure. You have to make use of creativity and special abilities to win in this game.

Another difference is that you don’t have a magic extraspatial inventory. You can carry only what you can… well, what you can carry. There is one notable exception to this rule: Hats. All Hats are stored in your communal Hatventory. You can swap Hats once per turn from your head to the Hatventory. You can’t swap with another character unless they agree to it. Hats are how you get special abilities that will help you solve puzzles.

This game is way more about puzzles than combat, by the way. Even combat is just another kind of puzzle.

Let me warn you about how this game is going to be run. In a nutshell, I’m making it up as I go. Look at all the stuff you see in room one there. I don’t even know what half of it is for. Does this mean that I’m going to just have everything work against you no matter how clever you are? No. Does it mean things always go your way? No. It’s a challenge I’m posing to myself. Very little is pre-planned in this game. I don’t even know how you win it yet! What Hat is that strange man talking about? Who knows! When the game reaches a satisfactory level of complexity, I will figure out what you need to do to beat the game. I may not TELL you right away, but it’ll be there. Also, as you may be able to tell, this game is more light-hearted than my others and will include many parodies. Deal with it.

Actions per turn are similar to in my other games. You can move one room and take one action in the same turn. If you take no action, you can move two rooms. Actions include examining an object, manipulating an object, attacking a creature, using certain abilities… just about anything. You can combine multiple small actions in certain cases, generally involving items that are close together or already in your hands. Swapping hats does NOT count as your action. Swapping held items with another Goblin doesn’t count as your action IF you are close together.

Goblins can’t attack other Goblins. Goblins CAN loot dead Goblins. Goblins CANNOT transfer an item when they die. Goblins can speak to each other over any distance and see what their fellow Goblins see.

As per usual, I’ll be updating every day, more or less. I often skip Saturdays because I often play D&D on that day. Or sometimes I just like a day off. Please don’t sign up if you can’t commit to a post a day for some reason. Please let us know of any days you’ll have to miss in advance when possible. If you need to miss several days in a row, kindly appoint someone to run your character for you, or you will be subjected to action-by-vote.

If anyone has questions, please ask them. I always leave things out of the first post that I mean to put in.

Give your Goblin name and colour to sign up.

Please do not sign up if you are currently playing in another game of mine until one hour after this thread is posted. If you died in another game of mine and didn’t come back, you can join freely.

Long Live Clan Fourem!

Goblin Roster:
1. Bleeds Profusely, light blue (SuperVaderMan)
2. Dances Randomly, puce (Silentobserver)
3. Runs With Stick, green (Quarg)
4. Drops Rocks, brown (lokthar)
5. Lost In Thought, purple (Whooh)
6. Dives In Headfirst, grey (knucklekraken)
7. Echo, orange (notimportant)

SPOILERS:I liked this idea a lot and couldn't wait for Last Ditch Dungeon to end. Oh well, it's almost over anyway. Let's see where this crazy thing takes us.
Last edited by LoneStarNorth on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Re: Hats (Forum Game)

Postby SuperVaderMan on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I'd like to sign up

Name: Bleeds Profusely

Color: Light Blue/green-ish... cyan? Whatever this color is ---> [color=#00BFBF]
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hats (Complete)
Bleeds Profusely
Lance & shield user, gnome racist, pikmin captain, and conqueror of the mouse hole.
SuperVaderMan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby pointsthingsout on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Color: RED(the same one in arena slaves)
Name: Wearsafunnyhat

if this is too soon for me then i am sorry. But I think this has been an hour, I can't ever tell with these strange times on the board.
I got out of the hospital 4 days early due to an early recovery! Thanks to everyone who told me to get well soon on this forum!
pointsthingsout
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Silentobserver on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Ooooo, finally a LoneStar game I might get in to!

Name:Dances Randomly

Color: Puce...or something It's #800040

(Points, it has been...seven minutes)
Last edited by Silentobserver on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silentobserver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kide on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Pointsthingsout, I think it has only been a few minutes before the thread has been put in to here. Otherwise I would like to join too, but I think one game is enogh for me, some others can enjoy to play in Lonestarnorths games. And I already am in one... Even if the time we are supposed to escape in is horribly small...
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Postby Quarg on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Him

Well let's try it, the worst thing is my character dies...

Name: Runs_with_Stick (also known as Stick or Oww my eye)

Color: Green
Behold the Power of Cheese

Walks the Night -Scryer
HP: 5/5
Atk: 1 +1 Dagger?
Def: 1

Ubotandal-God of Darkness
Quarg
Keenspot Despot

Postby pointsthingsout on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:20 pm

I will give up my spot in arena slaves for this. I like a strategy based forum game then one that centers on combat.

Plus there is hats!
I got out of the hospital 4 days early due to an early recovery! Thanks to everyone who told me to get well soon on this forum!
pointsthingsout
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:28 pm

You know pointsthingsout, the "don't join unless you can commit" clause was in Arena Slaves too :grumble:
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby RandomMerc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm

If you can join two of your games at once, I could get into this...

But if anyone else wants to join, I don't mind. I love strategy games, and I can think, even if it is a type of thinking that a true genius would scoff at. I can definitely commit to joining a game, as seen by my... can't count how many off the top of my head forum games can see. If I get in trouble (I am in high school), and am not on, someone can take over until I get back.

If I can join:

Hugs Complete Strangers

Color: A Mustard kind of yellow.... maybe like this HI?

If I am in:

Hugs Complete Strangers looks around strangely and frowns, wondering how to find the hat. He scoops up the stranger's hat and puts it on, but first peering into it, shaking it, and doing all things of the sort.

"Don't worry guys, I won't pick up any more hats unless you want mine as long as you all are ungeared," he assures the members who may have heard of his evil ways in another world, and then he decides to see if he can create a step ladder to the lever.

If this game is full and someone else wants to join, you can have my spot :D ... I am already in too many games, but I seem to have a weakness towards them. Espically LSN's games. I didn't sign up for his first one because I didn't know they were good, so I guess since then I have been waiting and joining forum games so that even if they are bad, at least if they were good I would be in them.
Last edited by RandomMerc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Runs Into Koalas: Attack: 1 Def: 2(+1 Poisoned Barrel Lid), Health: 5/5
Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby lokthar on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:42 pm

I'll sign up

Drops Rocks

Color:brown #804000
Capture the flag
Rock Smasher Lv8 Trainee Strategist Exp: 48/52
Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3, Cheer Stacking 1

Clan Rampage
Chews the Scenery: Ham level Medium to High
lokthar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Pointsthingsout, Kide, and RandomMerc: It's been a half hour. You are not signed up. On the bright side, the game is only half full so far... but you have to repost once the game becomes open to you, you can't reserve a spot.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby RandomMerc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Alright :D ... I read the rules, but forgot to read the bottom.

Will look forward to watching this if I am not in it though.
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Okay guys, the gate is now open. Anyone can apply.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby Whooh on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Name: Lost-in-Thought
Color: Purple
Last edited by Whooh on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.culdceptcentral.com "Where you can find all things Culdcept!"
XBL: Whooh05
Whooh
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby knucklekraken on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Dives In Headfirst

I want this one, so I stopped keeping track so I could post on time. Sorry if it's full.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby notimportant on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Echo, one of the clan elders, was never much of a warrior. His memory was uncanny though, and in his prime he could repeat any conversation he had heard, word for word. However, his memory has begun to falter, and nowadays he sometimes forgets things that happened seconds ago.

(annd...one hour.)
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby RandomMerc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:09 pm

If I can join:

Hugs Complete Strangers

Color: A Mustard kind of yellow.... maybe like this HI?

If I am in:

Hugs Complete Strangers looks around strangely and frowns, wondering how to find the hat. He scoops up the stranger's hat and puts it on, but first peering into it, shaking it, and doing all things of the sort.

"Don't worry guys, I won't pick up any more hats unless you want mine as long as you all are ungeared," he assures the members who may have heard of his evil ways in another world, and then he decides to see if he can create a step ladder to the lever.

If this game is full and someone else wants to join, you can have my spot :D ... I am already in too many games, but I seem to have a weakness towards them. Espically LSN's games. I didn't sign up for his first one because I didn't know they were good, so I guess since then I have been waiting and joining forum games so that even if they are bad, at least if they were good I would be in them.[/quote]

So close... took a break for dinner and came back when everyone had already posted... Good luck to you all :D
Last edited by RandomMerc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is a signature.

RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kide on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Well, I suppouse I would love to join in, if you will have me. So reserving a spot this 5 am that the clock is ticking here... But I will consider giving my spot to someone else who is not in lonestarnorths games yet later on.

But for now reserving a spot, hope that is okay. Ahh, I see I was already quite late, well that's okay. =)
"I aint no fancy damn supernachral terrer. I got guts and blood, an its too damn easy to spill em both."
-A goblin, from the Dungeon Keeper's dungeon.

Betrays A Friend
HP:1/5 * ATK:5 * DEF:4 * APP: 10

Hides in leaves
HP:10/10 * ATK:11 * DEF:20 * CHR:+8
Equipment:
Leather boots: DEF +1, CHR +1
Thief's cloak
Magical scimitar: +8 ATT
Intricate chestplate: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Holy armguards: +3 DEF +1 CHR
Holy helmet: +6 DEF +3 CHR
Abilities: Tracking, Driving skills, Animal Handling, Jousting, Singing, Dodging, Weapon profiency, Stealth, Animal friend: +0.5x travel speed, and increased power with animal related skills.
Spells: Breathe life (Can cure any plant. Or heal an ally, restores 1 HP each turn for 3 turns), Plant control: Control any vegetation around you. (defensive and offensive maneuvres), Growth: Makes plants grow around you (Once every 4 turns), Empower: Allows you to strongly empower another spell freely (once an day)
Mighty horse: El Diablo +2 Att/Def, 2x travel speed.
Kide
Keenspot Despot

Location: Land full of lakes and snow.... Also called Finland.

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Haha, holy CRAP guys :D I'm glad to know I've made such a good impression as a GM!

Whooh, knucklekraken, and not important got the last three spots though.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby knucklekraken on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Badass!!

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby RandomMerc on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Maybe, but I will be watching... and if anyone at all does not keep up with this game, I will jump on the opprotunity.

Cheesy references aside, good luck :D ... was looking forward to a game with this kind of battle system... if I just knew how to draw right I would probably make another forum game like this, but with a different concept.

And, and... :cry:

:wink: There is still the third Dungeon Flight game, at least...
This is a signature.

RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Sorry to my fellow arena slaves that missed out. And yes LSN, your games are popular, I thought you'd noticed that before :)
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Bloogonis on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:20 pm

still space?
Bah!
Bloogonis
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Well, the Snappy Hat Salesman has ducked away into the clock tower. You're not sure how he opened the door since it's CLEARLY locked now, and probably requires some ridiculous puzzle to open. But at least he left you that snazzy Top Hat, which is now hanging out in your communal Hatventory. You hope you find more Hats soon, as your heads are very cold.

So, what are you going to do?

TOP HAT
Produces rabbits as an action.

SPOILERS:Well, here we go. Yet another GRANDE ADVENTURE! Whoever grabs the Top Hat first gets to wear it, but don't worry, there will be many, MANY more hats.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby Whooh on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Lost decides producing bunnies is not quite for him... He starts by looking thru the drawers of the desk with the type-writer on it.
www.culdceptcentral.com "Where you can find all things Culdcept!"
XBL: Whooh05
Whooh
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Goblins Games