Goblin Defence (Forum Game)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Goblin Defence (Forum Game)

Postby Ratha on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Intro:
This is the forum game I made. It was inspired by the incredible LoneStarNorth, who's artwork I largely imitated, and in the case of the goblins themselves, bluntly ripped off. Thank you LSN, you're incredible, and I am enjoying participating in your game.

If you want to join, be prepared to post once per day (Not strict, but that's how often I intend to update). I will try to respond once per day. I will close for update at around 6pm pacific time (schedule permitting) and update in about an hour if possible. Yes, that's a long time, but give me a break, who do you think I am? LSN?

I'll try to give warning on days I'll be late on, or days I can't make it on. And now, here's the game:

Story:
A band of nine goblins from the famous Finders clan were sent out as explorers. Thier objective: map out as much of the world as they could, giving their clan a strategic edge. They are the explorers of clan Finder.

Three weeks into their journey, they came across a valley, where they were beset on all sides by adventuring parties. Unknown to them, there were rumors that the area held dungeons, where legendary treasures were kept, stored there by a powerful wizard.

Fleeing into the night, the goblin explorers ran until the sun rose. When the sun finally rose, they took stock of their surroundings.

The top down view:

The close up view:

Their keen explorer senses warned them, the adventurers were coming. Not all at once, just one party at a time, but they needed to prepare, either to fight, or escape. (There may be other options, but those are the ones you know right now).

Signup:
There are nine slots in this game. To signup, give your goblin's name and colour. And background info and desires and training and goals if you want, but those last four aren't necessary. They'll just cause me to add a bit of flavour on behalf of your character.

1. Play with Fire (ThinkingofNames)
2. To Be Decided (Kelvara)
3. Hides in Shadows (dungeonmasterchris)
4. Nightgaunt (martinthegoblin)
4. Stares Into The Middle Distance (Bloogonis)
5. Hits to Hard (Kelten)
6. Eats a Weird Bug (LoneStarNorth)
7. Defiant (RandomMerc)
7. 5 Minutes Late (Michael7050)
8. Rides the Wind (Falahris)
9. Talks to Foxes (kitsune106)

Vote for Captain:
Your next step is to vote for a captain. Your captain has two special abilities. First, the captain of the explorers can determine where you set up your camp. More on what this does for the goblins in the section on the camp. Second, at any time the captain may call all the group's goblins to him, no matter where they are. Explorers are very good at getting back to their captain. Note that if the captain does this, ALL goblins will be called, and goblins currently engaged in a fight who are called away may well be hit one last time.

Vote for Lieutenant:
The Lieutenant becomes the captain if the captain dies. Otherwise, the Lieutenant has only one special ability. They may define one location that they are currently at. This location will be seen by them, no matter where they go. They may define new locations, but will then lose the watch at the previous location.

Rules:

Actions takeable:
Explorer goblins are very fast. For that purpose, they may do any of the following in terms of moving or taking an action:

1. Take an action at the current location, then move once.
2. Move into an unexplored area.
3. Move into an explored area, then into an unexplored area. (provided no obstacles)
4. Move into an explored area, then take an action.
5. Move into an explored area, then into an explored area, then into a final explored area. (provided no obstacles)

Note that for the purpose of this, an obstacle is defined as something that hinders movement. If something prohibits movement, then you can't move past it until it has been eliminated, neutralized, or bypassed.

The Camp:
The Captain will get an opportunity to set a location for the camp (It cannot be inside a dungeon). The camp will be where all goblins rest during the night. At the end of each day (25 turns) every goblin may choose to immediately return to camp, no matter where they are (it is not required, but there are advantages).

At night, each goblin will regain 1 hp. If they rest in the camp, each goblin will regain 2 hp (usually). If there has been enough food gathered to feed every goblin in the camp, they will regain 3 hp each.

Yes, there are things you can gather as food.

Inventory:
You can pick up as much as you want, and store it in inventory. Does this make sense? No. Is it easier to keep track of? Yes. Objects will not be difficult to store in inventory no matter how large. I MAY deem an item too heavy. Things like giant boulders, tree trunks, buildings, mountains, other players, etc... will not be something you can store in inventory.

Also note that while a goblins explorer can carry as much as he wants, he may want to reconsider crossing that rickety rope bridge or taking a swim in that deep pond while carrying two suits of plate mail, a barrel of large rocks, and a random two tonne weight. Just saying...

Transferring items takes up its own set of item actions, and does not count as a full action. Instead, the giver or taker takes an 'item action', able to pass around one object at a time. Players have one item action per turn. If they wish to transfer items faster, they may do so, but this will require all parties involved to expend a full action, rather than an item action, taking their ability to do anything else that turn.

General:
All goblins start with 5 hp, 1 att, and 1 def. You may change these attributes as the game goes on. Equipment works wonders, but there are other ways too.

The adventurers will come in waves. You will usually (but not always) have at least 10 turns worth of warning. Once they arrive, there will be a variety of behaviours from them, but your main goal is to defeat them. You can make your stand outside, or in a dungeon, but be warned, once adventurers enter a dungeon, they'll start to become more powerful. Facing them immediately may be the best course of action.

The current Lieutenant's Power:

Flame's Vigil:
Take one full turn to light a fire. May do nothing else that turn. Must use something that would normally burn (a torch, a candle, a lantern, etc...). This object will burn for 10 turns, or until the end of the day. At any time, the lieutenant may see what is happening at that flame. If the flame is extinguished, it may no longer be used for this purpose. Multiple flames may be lit, but only one may be viewed per turn. Though lighting the fire takes a full turn, viewing it may be done without wasting any time.
Last edited by Ratha on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:08 am, edited 9 times in total.
God School signups are closed, but visit anyways!
Goblin Defence in progress!
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors
HP: DEAD --Att: 2 --Def: 4 --App: 8

Adventuring Goblins (Victory!)
One Hand
HP: 5/5 --Att: 4 --Def: 2 --Int: 1
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Goblin Defence (Forum Game)

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:01 pm

I want in!

Play With Fire

Will edit again for other stuff! But i want in!

Every now and then a Teller really has a vision when naming the young ones. In Play with Fire's case it caused said teller to point at the young Goblin and scream "DON'T YOU DARE PLAY WITH FIRE YOU LITTLE PEST!", the Teller never told anyone exactly why he had screamed that, but sometimes he mumbles in his sleep about how Play might end up dooming the Clan...
:evilgrin:

Desires : Convince the clan the Teller is wrong and Play won't doom them all.
Training : Freshly minted warrior (wait... i'm also red... oh sh-) At least i ain't wearing a red shirt... i hope.
Goals : See Desires, preferably by doing something impressive/bringing wealth to the Clan.

(EDIT#2:Typoes, how i loathe thee!)
Last edited by ThinkingOfNames on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goblin Defence Lt. Play With Fire Unknown Duration Hiatus
Zombie Bait Zombie Falls Down Stairs Game Ended
Awesomesword Wanes Drill Sergeant
HP: 5/5, ATK:2, DEF: 5
Gargoyle Horn (+1, Ablate 1 def), Chainshirt(+3) & Buckler (+1)

Destiny of the Stonetear Clan Saves The Realm
HP: 4/5, ATK: 4 (Orcish Hand Axe: +2 ATK 1h. Parry 2., Light Axe: +1 ATK. off-hand. 3 Damage when Thrown, Recoverable if target dies.), DEF: 2 (+1 Goblin)
Pack: [Gem of Defense: Can be permanently applied to a piece of non-magical equipment to make the item magical and grant it +1 Defense in addition to its other stats.], [Firestick: Causes 2-5 Fire damage at range. 1h. Major Action. 3 charges.] , [Empty Jar]
Abilities: Soul Siphon (Minor Action: Heal 1 HP of target ally at touch range. Costs Saves 1 HP. No cooldown.) (Swings/Rounds: 1/1)
ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kelvara on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:10 pm

If this is half as good as Last Ditch Dungeon it will still be awesome.

I'm leaving for my real life D&D game soon, so I'll post details later.

Name: TBD
Color: This one, #d200ff.

Edit: I guess my character is actually named To Be Decided now? :nervous: Ok, I can run with that.

To Be Decided was considered by her teller to be destined for greatness. This greatness, however, wasn't exactly clear. The teller needed time to ponder the vast cosmic mysteries of TBD's future, so he came up with a placeholder name, but later completely forgot about her.

To Be Decided, sometimes TBD or TeeBee to her friends, has become determined that she will fulfill her destiny of greatness, and jumps at any opportunity to prove herself. So far, she hasn't proven much, but TeeBee knows, someday, somehow, she'll do something to earn herself a real name.
Last edited by Kelvara on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby dungeonmasterchris on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Me too.
Hides in Shadows
A perpetually fearful Goblin, Hides wishes that he just wouldn't be noticed. Which is unfortunate, because he is clumsy and generally noisy. However, at least he is coloured correctly for hiding...

He was trained by his father in the use of daggers. His father had hoped that his son's name had destined his son down a path of rogue-like skill, but unfortunately things had worked out...differently. Doesn't stop Hides from trying, though.
Last edited by dungeonmasterchris on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dungeonmasterchris
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby martinthegoblin on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Nightgaunt, named after one of my Goblins in Goblin Wars.

I, also will edit later.
"The oldest and strongest kind of emotion is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."- Henry Phillips Lovecraft

"No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength."- Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
martinthegoblin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kelten on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Im in!

Hits-to-hard
With fists made of stone this goblin will punch anything, both friends and foes. The brute you culd say

edit: couler stolen!
Last edited by kelten on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Stabsafoot
HP: 6/9 ATT:15 (1+13+1) DEF:29 (2+21+1) CHR: +14
Equipment:
Blooddrinker: +10 ATT +4 CHR, extra dmg to evil, drains life
See-all boots: +5 DEF +2 CHR a chance of noticing a trap before setting it off.
mightyoak shield, intricate greaves, +2 intricate chainmail, magic gloves, heavenly ring: allows smite evil
darkforged helmet, ring of health

In debt:
Dead, but in heaven in the game Hats

Hits to hard, training for cheff

Keltens betting station, gamble away with the goblin crowd!
kelten
Keenspot Despot

Postby LoneStarNorth on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:22 pm

May I partake?

Someone already took red, so I'll be Orange. You can call me Eats A Weird Bug. He has a fascination with all insects and arachnids, and is convinced they can be trained into loyal attack beasts and/or adorable pets.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm

I'd really like to play, but I am in enough games at the moment. Looks promising.
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby RandomMerc on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Defiant (ripping off my game's character,)

Defiant is always standing out due to his questioning all the Clan laws and breaking the rules. Defiant was trained as a warrior and mouths off like one (so unlike my other characters). He desires to become the Chief of a clan of adventurer goblins to protect the land. He himself does not take classes, yet.
This is a signature.

One Winner of the Arena Slaves (GetAwayIWanttoBeAlone) and Goblin Heroes (Killsafriend)

Runs Into Koalas: Attack: 1 Def: 2(+1 Poisoned Barrel Lid), Health: 5/5
Destroys Nations: Attack: 2(+1 Rusty Sword), Def: 2(+1 Wooden Shield), Health: 4/4. Spells: Magic Missile(Deals 2 MDmg)
RandomMerc
Keenspot Despot

Postby Falahris on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:47 pm

HELL YES I'LL JOIN.

Rides the Wind

Rides has been known in his clan as a goblin that's generally fast on his feet, although his clan is known for being quite fast, he's a bit faster. He's also a fierce fighter when it comes to defending his fellow clan mates and sometimes takes blows for them. His goal is to become the best in his clan. One of his most popular sayings is, "The sky's the limit, and I plan on going past that."

He's been trained to use mostly dual short swords (sort of like what Thaco uses) and light armor for mobility. This makes him quite fragile (much like Thaco) but allows him to utilize his speed.
Last edited by Falahris on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Falahris
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kitsune106 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:52 pm

TalkstoFoxes again.

background:

she has learned the fox tongue, so loves to hang out with them. as such, she is a big odd, usually wandering away to play with the foxes, and kill human trappers.
desires: PROTECT THE FOXXEHS

goals:
to get revenge on evil human trappers

trianing:
dagger and bow training. and tracking and trap making.
goblin heroes

Talkswithfoxes
Hp: 5/5 ATT: 2 DEF: 2
equipped: Bow: ranged attack ATT +3
rusty helmet: +1 DEF
inventory: 9 arrows
10 magic arrows: +2 ATT
2 adamantite arrows: +3 ATT
1 explosive arrow: Area effect, can damage own team.
1 Rusty helmet: +1 DEF
1 daggers: +1 ATT
abilities: animal charming
archery master: +2 ATT when using any bow, and a small chance to recover ammo.

adventuring goblins:
TalkstoFoxes
HP: 7/7 HP
MP: 3/3 MP
ATK: 1
DEF: 1
INT: 1

"Do not meddle in the affiars of hte assasins. For they are heavily armed and not subtle."

"Overkill is the standard response when a fic slaughters your childhood memories."
kitsune106
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ratha on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm

That's nine folks. Awesome. Signups ended.
If so, please contact us. He was last seen falling out of the universe, near Hats.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors

One Hand
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:17 pm

So now we got to vote and choose a Captain and a Lieutenant.
Hmm...

Any volunteers? I myself would prefer not be Captain, tho Lt's power seems fun.

HP: 4/5, ATK: 4 (Orcish Hand Axe: +2 ATK 1h. Parry 2., Light Axe: +1 ATK. off-hand. 3 Damage when Thrown, Recoverable if target dies.), DEF: 2 (+1 Goblin)
Pack: [Gem of Defense: Can be permanently applied to a piece of non-magical equipment to make the item magical and grant it +1 Defense in addition to its other stats.], [Firestick: Causes 2-5 Fire damage at range. 1h. Major Action. 3 charges.] , [Empty Jar]
Abilities: Soul Siphon (Minor Action: Heal 1 HP of target ally at touch range. Costs Saves 1 HP. No cooldown.) (Swings/Rounds: 1/1)
ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby dungeonmasterchris on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Rides the Wind sounds like Captain material to me.

And Defiant sounds like the type to be a Lieutenant. Leadership material, but too rebellious to be full captain yet.
dungeonmasterchris
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Falahris on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:22 pm

dungeonmasterchris wrote:Rides the Wind sounds like Captain material to me.

And Defiant sounds like the type to be a Lieutenant. Leadership material, but too rebellious to be full captain yet.

Really? If you guys think so then I'll go for it. :)
Falahris
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LoneStarNorth on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:52 pm

I guess Eats A Weird Bug isn't a very captainly name...

Rides The Wind sounds cool though.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:19 pm

AT least you ain't the Clan's presumed pyromaniac, if i was Captain you guys should wonder what you did to piss off the elders to be stuck with me! :P

I'm gonna hold my votes 'till i know the final name of TBD, who knows it might be captainy! ;P

ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kelten on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Hits-to-hard wold like Rides-the-winds as captain.
Rides-the-winds is a good hard name.
Hits the ears it does.
Hard.
Very hard
Hits-to-hard is a good follower, but not captain material
but wouldn't mind being lieutenant...
Stabsafoot
HP: 6/9 ATT:15 (1+13+1) DEF:29 (2+21+1) CHR: +14
Equipment:
Blooddrinker: +10 ATT +4 CHR, extra dmg to evil, drains life
See-all boots: +5 DEF +2 CHR a chance of noticing a trap before setting it off.
mightyoak shield, intricate greaves, +2 intricate chainmail, magic gloves, heavenly ring: allows smite evil
darkforged helmet, ring of health

In debt:
Dead, but in heaven in the game Hats

Hits to hard, training for cheff

Keltens betting station, gamble away with the goblin crowd!
kelten
Keenspot Despot

Postby notimportant on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:01 pm

SPOILERS:I was hoping Foxes' next character would be named TalksAboutFoxes.. :wink:
"Will you give all you can give, so that our Banner may advance?" (Join Capture The Flag!)
Arena slave:
Not Important HP 0/5 ~ Atk 1+1 ~ Def 1 ~ App 0 ~ Traits: None ~ Items: Dagger
Lived an unfulfilled live, but got redemption in the Hats afterlife.

Goblin hero:
States-the-obvious HP 6/8 ~ Atk 17(2+13+2) ~ Def 26(3+22+1) ~ Cha 44(0+44)
Executed by a deranged monarch

Hats:
Echo HP: 9/10 ~ Status: Living happily ever after ~ Tomfoolery level: Sufficient
notimportant
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ratha on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Heh, not if you don't want Kelvara. I was fully planning on changing the name the moment you decided on one, though if you do want to run with To Be Decided, that's fine too.

Arena Slaves:
Keeper of Doors

One Hand
Ratha
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kelvara on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:36 pm

To Be Decided

TBD stands on a tree stump before her fellow goblins, and calls out to them:

"My fellow goblins, brothers and sisters, I believe I am the natural choice for your captain. I may not be the strongest, or the fastest, but I know I will not fail. When the time comes to stand and fight, I'll be there. When the adventurers come for our young, old, and sick, I will rally our defenses. I shall fight to my last breath for the honor of our clan, and if I fail, it shall be such a glorious failure that it will be written in the annals of history as a shining light in the darkness!"

She then steps down and shivers a little as the nervous adrenaline fades.

Edit:
OOC: Nah, I like the idea way too much now. :P
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Ok, that made me laugh, Kelvara get my vote for Captain.

And Ride get my vote for Lt.

ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kelvara on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks :wink: And I vote for Rides to be my trusty lieutenant.
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby Falahris on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:01 am

I don't mind to be honest. I can always just kill you in your sleep. :P

Just kidding, did that scare you? :lol:

Either way, I'm not a very strategic guy, and I think that's what captains should be good at. :)
Falahris
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby martinthegoblin on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 am

TBD and Rides, you two have my vote as Captain and Lieutenant respectively if for nothing but my sheer faith that there is a human limit to how badly one can botch things...

Just kidding, I think you two would do great as our leaders.
"The oldest and strongest kind of emotion is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."- Henry Phillips Lovecraft

"No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength."- Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
martinthegoblin
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Goblins Games